Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hojo is 62 years old and he fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope i look as good as scarlet does at 40

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Cannot unsee the Biggs looking like Charlie Sheen from Platoon thing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Asema posted:

Same man.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BaDandy posted:

Cannot unsee the Biggs looking like Charlie Sheen from Platoon thing.

That was my first thought, I assumed it was meant to be a clear reference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tseng's age doesn't make any fuckin sense and it's hilarious

Was this dude a full-grown goddamn secret police agent at age like 14 when he visited Aerith's house?

Maybe he's lying about his age. Either that or some intern asked Nojima how old the Turks are and he was like, "I dunno, 30." The intern goes, "All of 'em?" and Nojima replies, "Yeah dude, give or take a year, I don't care."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 29, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinteres posted:

That was my first thought, I assumed it was meant to be a clear reference.

Oh for sure it is, it's just stunning how much he looks like a young Charlie Sheen.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Tseng's age doesn't make any fuckin sense and it's hilarious

Was this dude a full-grown goddamn secret police agent at age like 14 when he visited Aerith's house?

Maybe he's lying about his age. Either that or some intern asked Nojima how old the Turks are and he was like, "I dunno, 30." The intern goes, "All of 'em?" and Nojima replies, "Yeah dude, give or take a year, I don't care."

I was wondering about this earlier tbh.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 29, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me 5 attempts to beat hell house on hard and I am never doing it again

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
One of the first things I did in Hard mode was get the Gotterdammerung and I regret nothing. It's made the rest of these hard mode chapters so much easier and it's so satisfying to open every Sahagin fight with a limit break to end their lives.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Eopia posted:

One of the first things I did in Hard mode was get the Gotterdammerung and I regret nothing. It's made the rest of these hard mode chapters so much easier and it's so satisfying to open every Sahagin fight with a limit break to end their lives.

Cloud with Gotterdammerung, Magnify + [chapter-relevant elemental magic materia], and MP Absorb + [same elemental magic materia] is just wrecking most of Hard Mode for me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

anakha posted:

Cloud with Gotterdammerung, Magnify + [chapter-relevant elemental magic materia], and MP Absorb + [same elemental magic materia] is just wrecking most of Hard Mode for me.

Barret's Catastrophe is AOE so whenever he's around I like giving him it to just end every regular enemy encounter in one move.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, remember that Shinra apparently had no problem hiring cloud at 14 and by 16 he’d already had a few missions under his belt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, remember that Shinra apparently had no problem hiring cloud at 14 and by 16 he’d already had a few missions under his belt.

14 is like a 60 year old man in anime.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've been mulling this over and feel free to call it dumb wishful thinking but I wonder if instead of beating the living poo poo out of Sephiroth in the lifestream/his own mindscape Cloud beats him by actually appealing to his humanity. Hear me out I already know this idea is off-putting and saccharine sounding as gently caress.

If we're going by any kind of canon, in Crisis Core Sephiroth was originally not an evil dude, withdrawn and somewhat socially awkward but not evil. His mental break came at the long end of a series of emotional traumas capped off with sleep deprivation and learning yeah he was totally a loving experiment. The Sephiroth we see in game generally behaves within the classic "a God am I" mindset until the very end at the edge of creation where he actually (blinks!) and speaks normally to Cloud. This actually some intense poo poo because it's the most human he's behaved in years. Seeing as what's becoming a reoccurring theme with this guy is he'll never truly be killed so long as he wants to keep this whole vengeance campaign against Cloud going maybe the answer is....actually talking him out of it. Like getting him acknowledge Cloud honestly had nothing to do with all the poo poo he went through and the constantly haranguing him isn't getting him anywhere in any timeline except stuffed back into the lifestream to pool resources and try again later. I'd be interested to see once Cloud gets his poo poo together if he actually talks Sephiroth down and "defeats" him by getting him to let go of his whole campaign and just reunite with the planet. I'm sure Jenova or what's left of it will emerge as a final boss fight if that's the case but it would be a very interesting take on finally putting him out of commission. Instead of violence just pointing out the fruitlessness of his actions and how it's not really getting him anywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

that's not even unrealistic given that it was a wartime conscript army

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flopsy posted:

I've been mulling this over and feel free to call it dumb wishful thinking but I wonder if instead of beating the living poo poo out of Sephiroth in the lifestream/his own mindscape Cloud beats him by actually appealing to his humanity. Hear me out I already know this idea is off-putting and saccharine sounding as gently caress.

If we're going by any kind of canon, in Crisis Core Sephiroth was originally not an evil dude, withdrawn and somewhat socially awkward but not evil. His mental break came at the long end of a series of emotional traumas capped off with sleep deprivation and learning yeah he was totally a loving experiment. The Sephiroth we see in game generally behaves within the classic "a God am I" mindset until the very end at the edge of creation where he actually (blinks!) and speaks normally to Cloud. This actually some intense poo poo because it's the most human he's behaved in years. Seeing as what's becoming a reoccurring theme with this guy is he'll never truly be killed so long as he wants to keep this whole vengeance campaign against Cloud going maybe the answer is....actually talking him out of it. Like getting him acknowledge Cloud honestly had nothing to do with all the poo poo he went through and the constantly haranguing him isn't getting him anywhere in any timeline except stuffed back into the lifestream to pool resources and try again later. I'd be interested to see once Cloud gets his poo poo together if he actually talks Sephiroth down and "defeats" him by getting him to let go of his whole campaign and just reunite with the planet. I'm sure Jenova or what's left of it will emerge as a final boss fight if that's the case but it would be a very interesting take on finally putting him out of commission. Instead of violence just pointing out the fruitlessness of his actions and how it's not really getting him anywhere.

https://thelifestream.net/novels-novellas/on-the-way-to-a-smile-lifestream-black-and-lifestream-white/

Read these, it's a good hint for what we got coming, Nojima wrote these before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

https://thelifestream.net/novels-novellas/on-the-way-to-a-smile-lifestream-black-and-lifestream-white/

Read these, it's a good hint for what we got coming, Nojima wrote these before.

I've already read both they're prequels to Advent Children. It's also a description of how Sephiroth made the remnants and preserved himself in the lifestream after his initial defeat by holding onto his hatred of Cloud. I would argue this is at odds with his depiction in the remake unless you take his every action as entirely insincere (which is reasonable) but my point is I feel like Sephiroth can't "truly" be defeated until he himself finally lets that hatred go. I won't hold my breath it turns out like this, just that if we're going off the idea this Sephiroth is the same one from the OG and Advent Children maybe a change of tactics is needed.

edit: I'll also add a side effect of these entries is excusing the flanderization of both characters into Satan and Jesus respectively. I think the writing in the remake is leaps and bounds above pigeonholing them that way so this might be me hoping they keep the decent character development train rolling and don't fall back into: Evil for the sake of loving with this one dude.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 29, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean FF8 literally has Military Academy high schoolers immediately being deployed as mercenaries into combat zones

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean FF8 literally has Military Academy high schoolers immediately being deployed as mercenaries into combat zones

FF9 has straight up children running around with a disposable magic robot and a weird old aging knight

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asema posted:

to be fair Scarlet is in the Emma Frost zone of "she absolutely had work done"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

to be fair Scarlet is in the Emma Frost zone of "she absolutely had work done"

For the tits? Oh yes obviously, if she had it done for her face it was either small stuff or she has access to plastic surgeons that are leagues ahead of anything that we would have in our world. I've seen how plastic surgery tends to age on people. Eventually....suffice to say it's noticeable. (skin too tight in some places bulging in others sorta thing) Come to think of it...it would've been interesting if they were actually kinda obvious about that ( like that DmC character Lilith). It would've definitely given another layer to her character I'll say that much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished the game, I really liked it. The only change I didn’t like was Biggs surviving because it makes no sense. Hopefully that scene was actually in the other timeline.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RatHat posted:

Just finished the game, I really liked it. The only change I didn’t like was Biggs surviving because it makes no sense. Hopefully that scene was actually in the other timeline.

If Cloud can survive falling hundreds/thousands of feet because he landed on some flowers Biggs can survive being in a falling pillar. :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

stev posted:

If Cloud can survive falling hundreds/thousands of feet because he landed on some flowers Biggs can survive being in a falling pillar. :colbert:

...when he was already on death’s door. And he’s not a supersoldier like Cloud.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly, I'm not really sure I believe Kitase either. At the very least, we have multiple characters and possibilities in play now we did not previously have. He has to say "assume the story will continue as it always has" to dissuade people fearful we're going full Kingdom Hearts, but I sincerely doubt we're just going to do a complete 1:1 story at this point so much as a Ultimate Universe Golden Path version of FF7.

Exactly. You don't end FF7R with a final boss that's the personification of destiny and NOT have a different story from here on out. There's all these new fans hyped for something different and you're running interference to appease the crowd that just wanted a remaster? This screams "we hosed up", we just have yet to see how badly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Exactly. You don't end FF7R with a final boss that's the personification of destiny and NOT have a different story from here on out. There's all these new fans hyped for something different and you're running interference to appease the crowd that just wanted a remaster? This screams "we hosed up", we just have yet to see how badly.

nah, he's basically saying "You'll still get your Corel and your Gold Saucer." Which of course we were going to get. Did you think we weren't. Did you think we'd leave and then a Gryphon would bodyslam the party and we'd go chase it to Fort Condor where the Condor would fly us to Bone Village?

We're gonna get the same events. the promise now is "If, for example, Cloud decides he's gonna kill Reno, there's no safety net."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh no not Reno. :ohdear:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Onmi posted:

nah, he's basically saying "You'll still get your Corel and your Gold Saucer." Which of course we were going to get. Did you think we weren't. Did you think we'd leave and then a Gryphon would bodyslam the party and we'd go chase it to Fort Condor where the Condor would fly us to Bone Village?

They could do worse than the game turning into Dragon's Dogma.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Everytime you see a character fall from great heights but don't see them land, it's because they died on impact and the whispers revived them before anyone noticed. :tinfoil:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How many times is someone falling used as a plot device? I have gravity orbs, dammit.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Not only does he actually blink, he kind of winces when Cloud refuses to join him. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I don't think this is leading up to a "BUT HELP ME FIGHT THIS EVEN GREATER EVIL" thing. I think the tables are gonna turn with who admires who. Like yes, he is trying to rile Cloud up to defeat the Big Boy Whisper, but he seems to think he's being a mentor? Like he's falling back on his old role and the fight is a test at the end. The "suffering will make you stronger" quote makes it seem like he's projecting very hard onto Cloud in the same way he was like "YOU'RE A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT TOO, YOU'RE NOT A REAL PERSON" in the og. I think that's more where his fascination comes in instead of just obsessively hating him, like he's treating Cloud as an investment. Helping him realize that letting go and returning to the lifestream would be a nice bookend to how the Omnislash fight would normally play out too. In the same way he used Cloud's obsessiveness with him in the first game, Cloud could turn the tables here when he gets his act together.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how we portray people who discover they are the result of as a science experiment as kind of mentally breaking, but in reality they'd probably all just post Reddit AMAs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hell, I’d love to be a science experiment. At least that’d explain some things.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

UltraRed posted:

I like how we portray people who discover they are the result of as a science experiment as kind of mentally breaking, but in reality they'd probably all just post Reddit AMAs.

finding out he was a science experiment was disconcerting but the true secret he uncovered was that hojo was his dad

he was the direct result of hojo loving and nibelheim was where it happened, cleansing it with fire was the only solution he could think of and you're lying if you say you wouldn't have done the same

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

UltraRed posted:

I think it would have gone slightly better if he were just told, "Yeah, you have human parents, we just stuck alien cells into the womb to see what would happen." Not, you know, coming to the conclusions of "Here's your mother, The Thing. You're also the same as these humans turned monsters."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

We're gonna get the same events. the promise now is "If, for example, Cloud decides he's gonna kill Reno, there's no safety net."
I can only dream. I hope Reno and Rude are just killed by the party. No "I'm beyond redemption and I feel so bad. bloo bloo bloo" speech. No "I was so conflicted and I feel guilty"

No. One of you armed the system, the other pressed the button. So gently caress you both, mass murdering fucks. You monsters.

If they get a redemption arc, I'll be kind of pissed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I can only dream. I hope Reno and Rude are just killed by the party. No "I'm beyond redemption and I feel so bad. bloo bloo bloo" speech. No "I was so conflicted and I feel guilty"

No. One of you armed the system, the other pressed the button. So gently caress you both, mass murdering fucks. You monsters.

Well, at least you can pre-game getting pissed!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Proteus Jones posted:

The party try to kill a shitload of people with bombings. Sorry that Reno and Rude are competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not only that, it's treated as an exam. For class!

How do they schedule those? Do SeeD students have to wait for a suitable mission before they can take their graduation exam? What if business dries up a bit? There are like five cities in the world and one of them is Anime Wakanda and nobody knows it's there anymore, they can't all be always invading each other.

Proteus Jones posted:

They already started setting up the redemption arc in this game so I guess buckle up?