Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What if they made a 3 mana teferi companion planeswalker but your deck can not have any creatures? that sounds like it would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Only in black border!

Imagine all the possibilities for the next UN-set.

Art Critic:
All of the cards in your deck must have the same artist.

Forester:
All must have a picture of a forest on them.

Collector:
No two cards in your deck may share a set collection number (the first number, not the number of cards in the set).

Landscaper:
All of the basic lands of each type in your deck must have matching art.

Trash Hauler:
All the cards in your deck must be moderately played, or worse, condition

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i don't really get the comparison to hs hero powers. every deck has access to a hero power, and cards/formats are specifically curated with them in mind. companions in eternal formats are not similar at all. some decks have access to companions and others don't, and the distinction is done along completely arbitrary lines

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They could go really hog wild and do game restrictions, stuff like:

You can not deal damage, or things like that to make everyone miserable.

In the current version of companions you could do: no cards in your deck can deal damage or have a power greater than 0

Or even the opposite, every non creature spell in your deck must deal damage

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Companion Lotus - Every card in your deck must be on the reserve list.

There, that'll fix vintage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They could go really hog wild and do game restrictions, stuff like:

You can not deal damage, or things like that to make everyone miserable.

In the current version of companions you could do: no cards in your deck can deal damage or have a power greater than 0

Or even the opposite, every non creature spell in your deck must deal damage

The companions we have are very specifically broader than this, because building companions with stronger payoffs who have higher restrictions will inevitably lead to overturned decks. This is the problem we saw with the big Brawl commanders like Chulane or Yarok. Their payoffs are so generically good that you get absurd value for almost no adjustment of your play style.

Play Design have such boring ideas, they’d give us a companion like “every card in your starting deck must have cycling”

1/4 Flying Lifelink

Whenever you cycle a card, draw a card

and stand there, mouths agape, as it becomes the best deck in Modern or somewhat, exactly like with Hogaak.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't like the idea of companions because outside of digital spaces, it's on you to make sure that your opponent is following the deck restrictions on it. It's not very hard to verify morph creatures after the game is over, but it's another thing to verify that someone's maindeck is in compliance, and you're going to miss one eventually.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Do you also count all the cards that someone plays to make sure they're never playing a 5th Lightning Bolt?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I don't like the idea of companions because outside of digital spaces, it's on you to make sure that your opponent is following the deck restrictions on it. It's not very hard to verify morph creatures after the game is over, but it's another thing to verify that someone's maindeck is in compliance, and you're going to miss one eventually.

It's a non-issue because you're worried about someone "cheating" by putting a card in their deck that says "When this card is played or revealed, even accidentally, you lose the game". Of all the mechanics in Magic added in the past few years, this is the one that's closest to cheat-proof.

Edit: That too ^^^. People have been cheating deckbuilding restrictions since deckbuilding restrictions existed, that's why there are two separate categories of decklist errors in the infraction guidelines. It's much more likely someone will play a fifth copy of a card or have extra cards in their deckbox they could sideboard in than putting instant "I lose" cards in their deck.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 28, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

Found the person that counts your library at the prerelease.

Probably pile shuffles it too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LifeLynx posted:

It's a non-issue because you're worried about someone "cheating" by putting a card in their deck that says "When this card is played or revealed, even accidentally, you lose the game". Of all the mechanics in Magic added in the past few years, this is the one that's closest to cheat-proof.

i wonder if this is true in more casual environments, where cheaters can get away with more blatant cheating as newcomers are overwhlemed with just keeping track of their own poo poo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Play Design have such boring ideas, they’d give us a companion like “every card in your starting deck must have cycling”

1/4 Flying Lifelink

Whenever you cycle a card, draw a card

and stand there, mouths agape, as it becomes the best deck in Modern or somewhat, exactly like with Hogaak.

Is this something that happened or just fanfic?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

PleasantDirge posted:

Is that poorly named Godzilla card only in the ikoria pre release kits or is it in boosters for their first print run? My LGS has a poo poo ton on the kits and I want to throw them some cash for some scratchy lottery wizard tickets if they have a chance of containing a whole debacle in them

The excellently named Godzilla card has already been printed to poo poo for months, there's gonna be a ton when Wizards decides to start selling cards again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

odiv posted:

Is this something that happened or just fanfic?

I’m saying that’s why we can’t have more companions with narrower restrictions, they would all end up being on the Korvold, Chulane, Yarok power level of just “trigger a normal game action, draw a card” that dominates all of 2019’s design.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I play tokens, make this B or W and I'm all over this. I'd lose 1 copy of Kaya, Orzhov usurper, 4 auriok champions and a burrenton forge tender out of the side, opening space to bring in more ashiok dream render, torpor orb and kaya's guiles.

Knowing wizards it would be R/G, which would keep it from being op I guess.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
4 mana DecentWalker

Companion - for the duration of any game which began with this card as your companion, you may not cast creature spells or control creatures.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

i wonder if this is true in more casual environments, where cheaters can get away with more blatant cheating as newcomers are overwhlemed with just keeping track of their own poo poo.
I know this isn't what you mean by a 'more casual environment' but this reminds me of something that happened when we were kids.

In the middle of a game that was going close to an hour long, my friend Ryan snuck his own copy of Samite Healer into my other friend Blair's deck. When Blair drew and played the 5th one Ryan said Blair had an illegal deck and he "lost" on the spot. Ryan didn't tell us he did this until days later, Blair kept the card.

I was happy because I won.

Blair was happy because he got a free Samite Healer.

Ryan was happy because that game finally ended and we could play Street Fighter instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had a friend that always had a counterspell in hand during lunch break.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Watching the vein on Mark Rosewater's neck while he just loving screams all the drat time talking to The Prof

Mark, chill out, generally

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

4 mana DecentWalker

Companion - for the duration of any game which began with this card as your companion, you may not cast creature spells or control creatures.

What happens if the UW player (or is it dimir mill?) activates a celestial in this case?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m saying that’s why we can’t have more companions with narrower restrictions, they would all end up being on the Korvold, Chulane, Yarok power level of just “trigger a normal game action, draw a card” that dominates all of 2019’s design.

This is slightly better than 2012-2019’s endless parade of mechanics that put a plus one plus one counter on something, for some reason

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i mean, the last threeish years have been the worst run of awful standards that we have basically ever seen

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I haven't seen a dominance of the companion mechanic. Almost nobody plays with them and I've beaten them quite a few times due to the (known) restrictions they place on the deck. If anything ruins the game it's meme recursion decks that take an hour of staring at the screen at an infinite stack because gently caress that guy, he can go through the whole process.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is slightly better than 2012-2019’s endless parade of mechanics that put a plus one plus one counter on something, for some reason

I almost put that out of my mind, thanks. It's so crazy that was the best thing they could think of for new mechanics for close to a decade.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

I haven't seen a dominance of the companion mechanic. Almost nobody plays with them and I've beaten them quite a few times due to the (known) restrictions they place on the deck. If anything ruins the game it's meme recursion decks that take an hour of staring at the screen at an infinite stack because gently caress that guy, he can go through the whole process.

uh what

companion is literally all over the place, in every single format. i dont understand how you could miss it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

if you press escape or click the gear in the corner you can concede

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Sampatrick posted:

uh what

companion is literally all over the place, in every single format. i dont understand how you could miss it.

he means arena bo1

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

ilmucche posted:

What happens if the UW player (or is it dimir mill?) activates a celestial in this case?

The ability fizzles.

Were also making Fizzle a keyword

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

The ability fizzles.

Were also making Fizzle a keyword

If you can't control a creature that's ETBing I think your opponent gets control of it flavor-wise

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gyruda is mostly gone now in Standard so the rest of the companions are less "the inevitable potential game winning play happens on this turn" and more either a curve filler or a combo piece.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

neaden posted:

IIRC rosewater has said new Companions are unlikely as they don't think there are more deck restrictions they could use.

"The same deck restrictions, but different creatures and colours".

Boom, twenty more. There's no reason only UW blink decks would run 80 cards, just print that text again.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

if you press escape or click the gear in the corner you can concede

I know.....

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Until Lurrus is physically shipped, we cannot confirm or deny that it is actually a Beyblade.

So that's the power of darkness Tsubasa foguht with for his entire screen time.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

meanolmrcloud posted:

Counterpoint: putting +1/+1 counters on things is cool and fun

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So who are we shipping Lurrus with? Garruk?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mossyfisk posted:

"The same deck restrictions, but different creatures and colours".

Boom, twenty more. There's no reason only UW blink decks would run 80 cards, just print that text again.

I don't think making Yorion RB would change much and I'm pretty sure it's been brewed in every colour combo under the sun that touches U or W.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

he means arena bo1

yes also all over the place there

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eej posted:

I don't think making Yorion RB would change much and I'm pretty sure it's been brewed in every colour combo under the sun that touches U or W.

It's kind of implied that you'd give it different stats and a different ETB effect, rather than making exactly the same card but colourshifted.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'd much rather see them ban any companions that dominate the meta rather than shotgun printing them until every deck has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

can't wait for War of the Friend where there's companinos all the way down to uncommon