Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

who's this dork?

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1129831615952236546

The only Republican in the House who called for Trump's impeachment, and then split from the Republican party/was disinvited from CPAC. Romney's a Senator, and didn't get kicked out of the Republican party because the GOP is afraid of losing votes in Utah or something?

No actual idea who he is, other than someone who will gently caress up the election for a Democratic candidate because he's unlikely to peel off votes from the GOP.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/taskandpurpose/status/1255239444149436418?s=21

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Taliban Diversity Hire" would be a good username.
https://www.thenational.ae/world/asia/taliban-attempts-to-woo-afghanistan-s-hazara-community-with-new-appointment-1.1011775

quote:

After years of persecuting Afghanistan’s religious and ethnic minorities, the Taliban are now trying to win over and recruit from the Shiite Hazara community ahead of intra-Afghan peace talks.

The predominantly Sunni insurgents posted a video on their website last week to introduce their first local leader from the Hazara community. Mawlawi Mahdi, a Shiite cleric militia leader, was named the Taliban’s governor for Balkhab district in Sar-e-Pul province in northern Afghanistan.

In the video posted on April 22, Mahdi urges Hazaras, who have faced repeated attacks from the Taliban over the past two decades, to join the group in fighting against “Jewish and Christian invaders”, referring to the United States.

“Weren’t you in the frontline fighting the Soviet Union alongside your Sunni brothers?” he says. “Why aren't you joining your Taliban brothers in fighting this invasion?”

The Taliban are “inclusive of all people without any racism” and Shiites are very much a part of their “divine strategy”, Mahdi says in another section of the roughly edited video, in which some of his statements are cut off in mid-sentence.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1129831615952236546

The only Republican in the House who called for Trump's impeachment, and then split from the Republican party/was disinvited from CPAC. Romney's a Senator, and didn't get kicked out of the Republican party because the GOP is afraid of losing votes in Utah or something?

No actual idea who he is, other than someone who will gently caress up the election for a Democratic candidate because he's unlikely to peel off votes from the GOP.

Ehhh, I think he's as likely to gently caress things up for the dems as Gary Johnson or Evan McMullin did for Clinton they didn't really, Jill Stein gets that honor.

Keep in mind, third parties run candidates in just about every presidential election. It's just more often than not, no one pays any attention to them. Jill Stein and Ralph Nader get a lot of attention because you could logically make the connection that Dem leaning independents would break for them (and did in states that were very close)...Libertarian/Freedom party candidates, not so much. Special mention to Ross Perot as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jill Stein didn't cost Hillary the election, fam

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

She did that all on her own

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I still made fun of my friend at the time for voting for Gary Johnson.

But mostly for voting for a Libertarian Party presidential candidate past the age of 20.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol no. If we shut down meat processing everyone's daily calorie and protein needs wouldn't be instantly met with silage. It's taking weeks to months to shift toilet paper and flour production just from commercial to consumer use.

No one in the US is going to go hungry even in the imaginary worst case scenario of all meat production shutting down overnight. There's more than enough excess capacity of calories without any changes, and in the long run there's a huge amount of US farmland dedicated just to feeding animals that can be repurposed.

Declaring meat processing plants critical even as everyone inside is getting sick is being done because the meat processing industry asked for it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No one in the US is going to go hungry even in the imaginary worst case scenario of all meat production shutting down overnight. There's more than enough excess capacity of calories without any changes, and in the long run there's a huge amount of US farmland dedicated just to feeding animals that can be repurposed.

Declaring meat processing plants critical even as everyone inside is getting sick is being done because the meat processing industry asked for it.

People go hungry right now in the US, many of them children. Don't make sweeping generalizations.

feedingamerica.org posted:

In 2019, most families living in poverty earn less than $25,750 per year. More than 37 million people struggle with hunger in the United States, including more than 11 million children. A household that is food insecure has limited or uncertain access to enough food to support a healthy life.

Deleting meat from the food supply would make that number go up in the short and medium term significantly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 29, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

People go hungry right now in the US, many of them children. Don't make sweeping generalizations.

Well yes, but not because of food shortages...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

orange juche posted:

She did that all on her own

I'm not really up for re-litigating 2016 for the umpteenth time but Clinton lost for a variety of reasons and not any one reason in particular.

It's fair to say she lost both due to reasons well beyond her control as well as her own campaigns failures. Had her campaign not made some missteps it's quite possible she'd be in the White House right now and Trump would have hosed off back to NYC, buttery emails and Comey be damned.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

orange juche posted:

Almost universally because their families can't afford the food, not because there aren't enough calories being produced by US agriculture and food processing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Well yes, but not because of food shortages...

Well removing supply won't fix that issue, if anything it would drive prices of what's available up, and make even more people "food insecure".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Almost universally because their families can't afford the food, not because there aren't enough calories being produced by US agriculture and food processing.

That's not what you said though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

orange juche posted:

That's not what you said though.

It is though. "People will go hungry" is not a good reason to force meatpacking workers to risk what is, by all accounts, a wildy increased risk of coronavirus infction. People are going hungry in the US due to a lack of money, not because the food isn't there to buy. Industry has the capacity to provide the calories required with or without meat if the government is willing to make people not going hungry a priority. The only reason the administration is declaring meat processing facilities essential is because their owners make political contributions and don't want to lose money by shutting down production just because their labor force is dropping like flies.

Godholio posted:

When there is less food available, prices will go up.

People on the ragged edge of being able to afford food prices now will go hungry.

Edit: Not making the case that meat is critical infrastructure.

So increase food assistance instead of forcing minimum wage workers to risk their lives.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 29, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When there is less food available, prices will go up.

People on the ragged edge of being able to afford food prices now will go hungry.

Edit: Not making the case that meat is critical infrastructure.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/keegan_hamilton/status/1255277590341922819?s=19

Welp, prisoners serving time for nonviolent offenses are starting to die. Cool country we're in.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cugel the Clever posted:

In complete fairness, they committed the grave sin of using quotes for emphasis instead of sarcasm. I'd be genuinely curious to see a survey that dives into the demographics of that.

I'd have a hard time not drumming the thing, too, while reading aloud the sign in a very sarcastic tone.

My first thought was that the picture was a fake because nobody at NASA (the smart people agency) would have made that mistake.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's more than enough excess capacity of calories without any changes,
How about we make the changes to get that extra capacity to the people who need the calories before we change everyone to a vegetarian diet?
I mean, I'm happy the sun has an excess capacity of photons without any changes, but let's help people not freeze to death before we make them take the Great Leap Forward to solar.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Welp, prisoners serving time for nonviolent offenses are starting to die. Cool country we're in.

Most prisons are at the top of their respective states' outbreak locations. There's a lot of good work going in the legal philanthropy sector with getting people the gently caress out and sent home on house arrest, but again, it's another department where we're about two months behind where we need to be. Jails/prisons are indoors, tightly-packed, with already-poo poo healthcare, so it was basically a matter of time before each of them got seeded by a guard, a visitor, or a lawyer carrying COVID.

Big events like these expose your society's preexisting conditions - skyrocketing prison populations and excessively vertically integrated / monopolistic food producers come to mind!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

joat mon posted:

My first thought was that the picture was a fake because nobody at NASA (the smart people agency) would have made that mistake.

How about we make the changes to get that extra capacity to the people who need the calories before we change everyone to a vegetarian diet?
I mean, I'm happy the sun has an excess capacity of photons without any changes, but let's help people not freeze to death before we make them take the Great Leap Forward to solar.

They're engineers, not grammarians

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ZuleBoyQ/status/1253339091841642499?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s harsh but true.

I own some MC Chris stuff and saw him live. Oh god it was bad. I feel for the dude his life is a mess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I saw MC Chris in Charlottesville and had a great time

Things did not go well for him in the last few years

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What happened to the man behind the voice of MC Pee Pants? Or can I just like, guess based on his career choice

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s harsh but true.

I own some MC Chris stuff and saw him live. Oh god it was bad. I feel for the dude his life is a mess.

I saw him live over a decade ago and it was a great time. Doesn't surprise me that he's fallen on hard times though, his genre was small enough and pretty much died out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

What happened to the man behind the voice of MC Pee Pants? Or can I just like, guess based on his career choice

He got way too into the Internet and never developed the right defense mechanisms so he was endlessly trolled into having weepy meltdowns

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why doesn't he just learn to code

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
dO nOt ToUcH

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

joat mon posted:

Well then, in that case there's no alternative to forcing people to die in meat processing plants for minimum wage. Even as someone who eats meat, it's amazing the extent that people would prefer that (other, poorer) people die for their dietary preferences instead of eating some lentils.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

https://twitter.com/keegan_hamilton/status/1255277590341922819?s=19

Not saying she deserves death. In the slightest. Did you bother to look up why she was indicted Federally?

She ran a meth distribution hub.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
She died over 3.5 grams of meth.

That's hardly worth dying over.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
3.5 grams is all you need to run a distribution hub? thats a low bar to entry!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No you see she ran so clean all we could get her on was 3.5 grams!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just in time production! Clearly a very advanced one.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Not saying she deserves death. In the slightest. Did you bother to look up why she was indicted Federally?

She ran a meth distribution hub.
Cite?

From the DoJ press releases it looks more like her crime was being the girlfriend of a street level dealer.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
USA, famous for its 2 yr sentences for drug distribution :magemage:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s harsh but true.

He’s a loving dickhead and deserved everything that happened to him.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Just my experience with Federal sentencing guidelines. 24 months means she's in zone 4, the heavy hitter group of at least 8 points.

https://www.ussc.gov/guidelines/2018-guidelines-manual/annotated-2018-chapter-5

Again, not saying she deserves death at all. But 2+ years Federally means there's a bit more going on.

Not a hill I'm willing to die on. I have a PACER account, but "proving goons wrong" probably won't fly on an account audit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well then, in that case there's no alternative to forcing people to die in meat processing plants for minimum wage. Even as someone who eats meat, it's amazing the extent that people would prefer that (other, poorer) people die for their dietary preferences instead of eating some lentils.

they will still suffer no matter our consumption choices. only our political actions have a chance to help them.

all power to the workers, etc.