Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My state is called a "swing state" but we haven't elected a Democratic governor in 20 something years lol

My state is called a blue state but we've only elected 1 Democrat governor (for a whopping 2 terms) since 1990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kilonum posted:

My state is called a blue state but we've only elected 1 Democrat governor (for a whopping 2 terms) since 1990

Gubernatorial races are weird. KY is pretty solidly red most of the time but doesn't always have an issue with electing dem govs, especially because the GOP ones inevitably turn out to be shitheads

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mediaphage posted:

Gubernatorial races are weird. KY is pretty solidly red most of the time but doesn't always have an issue with electing dem govs, especially because the GOP ones inevitably turn out to be shitheads

Yeah, in 2008 in Washington state the Dem governor came really close to losing re-election at the same time Obama and Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell both got close to 60% of the vote. Hell, Mitt Romney was the two term governor of Massachusetts which I don't think has voted for a Republican president since 84.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Governor is the position most directly targeted by real estate development for various unpleasant things. I suspect this factors heavily into the tendency for competent-but-horribly-corrupt developer-proximate R governors (and similar D ones).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, in 2008 in Washington state the Dem governor came really close to losing re-election at the same time Obama and Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell both got close to 60% of the vote. Hell, Mitt Romney was the two term governor of Massachusetts which I don't think has voted for a Republican president since 84.

Yeah, Massachusetts is the state I live in. Dems hold a 90% majority in both houses of the state legislature.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, Massachusetts is the state I live in. Dems hold a 90% majority in both houses of the state legislature.

Florida is dominated by Republicans in state government, has a Republican governor, and 2 Republican senators. We've only went blue on the presidential vote 4 times out of the last 12. But yeah, total battleground swing state.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We're still doing take out and actually making a decent amount of tips off it, and my boss is being really chill about making sure that we can still get our $600. There's a lot of napkin math going on for how much exactly we can make and still get it, but so far so good. Who would have thought MO of all places would be doing well on this. Honestly I'm making about as much as I did before the shutdown but for 12 hours a week tops, I hope everything goes back to normal soon for everyone else's sake but for now I'm living the agoraphobic hermit dream.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

Just don't be surprised if it's no. Most places are running a dramatically reduced menu and not buying the ingredients for everything on their regular menu. Can't hurt to ask, though

They had all the ingredients but still said no.

Cashier lady did not understand social distancing even though they had a table specifically for that. She just wouldn't back away and I was too flustered to ask. At least we both had masks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Beachcomber posted:

They had all the ingredients but still said no.

Cashier lady did not understand social distancing even though they had a table specifically for that. She just wouldn't back away and I was too flustered to ask. At least we both had masks.

Guess you gotta learn to make it yourself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

Guess you gotta learn to make it yourself.

Deep frying is... intimidating. Don't want to burn down the house with this mess going on.

I suppose my thermopen can help me keep it at a safe temperature. It seems like a big waste of oil for two people, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beachcomber posted:

Deep frying is... intimidating. Don't want to burn down the house with this mess going on.

I suppose my thermapen can help me keep it at a safe temperature. It seems like a big waste of oil for two people, though.

Pan fry it?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I suppose my thermopen can help me keep it at a safe temperature. It seems like a big waste of oil for two people, though.

You can reuse the oil as well, so it needn't be wasteful.

Just filter it through a fine-mesh sieve once it's cooled, store in a sealed container then reuse the oil the next time you want to make it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Vegetable oil is even cheaper than gasoline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stringent posted:

Vegetable oil is even cheaper than gasoline.

Not actually true at the moment. Crude oil is being traded for negative amounts of money.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Fair enough, but last I heard nobody is getting paid to fill up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Stringent posted:

Fair enough, but last I heard nobody is getting paid to fill up.

I guess it depends on your line of work

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I guess it depends on your line of work

Same as cooking oil, I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Skwirl posted:

Not actually true at the moment. Crude oil is being traded for negative amounts of money.

They did say gasoline, not crude. Gas still requires processing.

Besides this is all futures BS, you can't go out as an individual and buy a barrel of oil and receive money for it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Restaurant companies that want to regulate what employees do off the clock suck.

New job time when everything opens back up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Restaurant companies that want to regulate what employees do off the clock suck.

May not have a choice if the industry doesn't make it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

What behaviors do they want to regulate? I'm having a hard time imagining anything that they'd both want to control and be able to actually monitor - posting on social media, maybe? I guess I could see drug use/testing but most restaurants won't want to deal with the hassle and expense of that (not to mention :laffo: at finding a full staff that won't routinely fail).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Coasterphreak posted:

condolences; see you in summer 2021

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

What behaviors do they want to regulate? I'm having a hard time imagining anything that they'd both want to control and be able to actually monitor - posting on social media, maybe? I guess I could see drug use/testing but most restaurants won't want to deal with the hassle and expense of that (not to mention :laffo: at finding a full staff that won't routinely fail).

Literally had the owner of my last restaurant tell my boss, the culinary director, that he was unhappy that I'd posted an instagram post about having had a bit of a hard night at work and being glad to sit down for a beer at my after-work bar.

To be fair, my boss told him to unfollow me if it bothered him. Tried to tell me to be careful about what I posted, but that... yeah.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

I had my boss (who is honestly a great person, and I work for her company because of how she generally treats her staff/lets me treat the staff and all the good she does for the community) message me at 11pm the other night asking me to come in the next morning. I've been laid off for 5 weeks. When I didn't reply to her until noon the next day, she gave me poo poo for not looking at my phone for over 12 hours. I just laughed.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
And poo poo. Then I stumbled into this.

Blood, Bones, and Butter is one of my most favourite and most-read books. I love her writing, and this article is both a shame and beautiful in its necessity.

quote:

[...]so well rested, young all over again, in a city that may no longer recognize her, want her or need her.
gently caress.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't seen too many examples of justifiable homicide before but I think no jury on earth would ever convict this woman.

AITA for “banning” my husband from the kitchen until he learns to respect my equipment?

quote:

I love to cook, I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid. I have some good cooking equipment that reflects that fact. My husband decided that he was going to start cooking as well, which I was all for. But he started cooking in the kitchen and damaging my equipment. A non-comprehensive list:

- He cooks with my all-clad skillets with the heat up high for fifteen minutes, and then “washes” them by bringing them over to the sink and dousing them with cold water. He says he “likes the sizzle.” At least one of the skillets is warping a bit, it won’t sit straight on the stove anymore and doesn’t cook evenly.
- He uses my chef’s knife to scrape crud off the counter. I told him to use my razor blade scraper to do it, he said “well, that would be overkill.”
- I have a small toaster oven that acts as a mini-oven, I absolutely love. He butters toast BEFORE putting it in the oven. The fat drips onto the element. He did this so much that I’ve already had to have the element replaced once. He continues to do it and says “we can just replace it again.”
- He cooked a tomato sauce in my seasoned cast iron skillet and then ran it through the dishwasher.
- He leaves lemon juice, tomato, vinegar spills all over the granite countertops. When I tell him to clean up immediately, he laughs and says, “it’s granite, it’s indestructible!”

This all annoyed me so much. I’m annoyed just typing it. Finally I told him that unless he starts actually respecting my equipment, I’m going to put it all under lock and key. He said, “what, you’re banishing me from the kitchen? From my own house?” I said “yes, you’re ruining all of my things.” He implied that it all belonged to him since he “bought it,” but I am fully aware that I had all of this stuff and bought all of this stuff before we got married.

AITA? All I want is for him to respect my things. He knows that I hate when he does this stuff but he shouts and yells and calls me over critical every time I try to explain it to him. I’m at my wit’s end.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
OP: This is a totally real story

Me: mashing the X button

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

droll posted:

OP: This is a totally real story

Me: mashing the X button

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dunno, I believe it. My last supervisor was married to a dude exactly that stupid.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dunno, I believe it. My last supervisor was married to a dude exactly that stupid.

I don't think it's even stupidity at that point, it's malice. He's trying to ruin the nice stuff she gets pleasure from because how dare she take joy in things he doesn't like.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

yeah there is a lot more going on there than pans

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Some people just don't think about kitchen equipment that way. My wife is similar, but rather than fighting about it I just keep a cheap non stick skillet and a couple oxo knives for her to use. She's more than happy with using them instead of listening to me whinge about my cast iron seasoning.

I also make sure to replace the non stick whenever it's getting run down and keep the knives as sharp as they'll get.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

taqueso posted:

yeah there is a lot more going on there than pans

Yup, total lack of respect for her desires, property, or requests. They have some major unaddressed issues.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

"I don't respect your stuff" is a reoccuring theme in the r/relationships thread

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that guy is a straight up rear end in a top hat

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stringent posted:

Some people just don't think about kitchen equipment that way. My wife is similar, but rather than fighting about it I just keep a cheap non stick skillet and a couple oxo knives for her to use. She's more than happy with using them instead of listening to me whinge about my cast iron seasoning.

I also make sure to replace the non stick whenever it's getting run down and keep the knives as sharp as they'll get.

And this is the difference. I lived with a GF for a couple years like this, and we agreed on the exact same solution so she wouldn't worry about banging up my nice stuff, but she could still cook once or twice a week. In this case it sounds like the guy is just an rear end in a top hat or there are other unresolved issues since he continues to do it after being asked not to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, one of the examples is "don't use my nice knife for scrapping crumb, use this other thing specifically designed for it" and he's all "LOL, nope."

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just this whole thread

https://twitter.com/ReLynnWrites/status/1255007228567814145

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

As an outsider looking in, can corporate franchise restaurants survive the same thing? Is there that much profit in the craptacular food Applebee’s food serves, even at quarter capacity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

This seems poorly written and relies on a lot of speculative assumptions.