Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
aww, stat-downs don't count as status effect?
Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok I just defeated the Water Benevolon, but how do I access Labyrinth of Ice IV map?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I think light Riesz gets a passive buff that means all of her buffs don’t time out.

Which as broken as poo poo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
ROFL, the paranormal enthusiast's VA is the same as Lumina.

Also, it looks like if you don't want your main character to be behind on XP, you can read the book with a different one.

Edit: oh, I guess you can even switch this time

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

Zenithe posted:

I think light Riesz gets a passive buff that means all of her buffs don’t time out.

Which as broken as poo poo.

what and which do you mean?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gandlethorpe posted:

Edit: oh, I guess you can even switch this time

You could before.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ah, really? I swear I tried and it didn't work

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

gandlethorpe posted:

What even are the base durations of buffs/debuffs? And do the stats have any affect on them?
I want to say the game is pretty generous and the base duration of buffs/debuffs is a minute and a half or so. Stat's don't have any effect on this but skills like Retain and Riesz's Locked Class skills do.

Shoenin posted:

what and which do you mean?
Dark/Dark Riesz's locked class skill is 'her debuffs don't expire.' I assume her Light/Light has the same only for buffs. Which means she can cast them on bosses and spend the rest of her MP on summons :v:

Edit: assuming the boss doesn't have access to magic status removal or debuffs/buffs of it's own.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok I just defeated the Water Benevolon, but how do I access Labyrinth of Ice IV map?

im pretty sure thats related to angelas postgame.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Goddamn, I dig how annoying and bratty Angela is. Her dialogue is so anachronistic and it's delightful. She's probably my favorite character.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Roobanguy posted:

im pretty sure thats related to angelas postgame.

Ah ok, then i won't have to worry about it for now

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

EponymousMrYar posted:

Dark/Dark Riesz's locked class skill is 'her debuffs don't expire.' I assume her Light/Light has the same only for buffs. Which means she can cast them on bosses and spend the rest of her MP on summons :v:

Edit: assuming the boss doesn't have access to magic status removal or debuffs/buffs of it's own.

Some bosses do. And Vanadies(light/light) does not, Starlancer(Light/Dark) gets the perma-buffs. Vanadies gets another 7% heal thing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I love that Lightgazer tosses Holy Sabre on you. If you are not paying attention you can end up healing him for a fair amount. Fortunately I had Kevin ready with Moon Sabre. So far the 2nd hardest of the Benevodons, with the Water one being a huge pain in the rear end with the slippery floor and the timed bomb/ice spears

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Goddamn, I dig how annoying and bratty Angela is. Her dialogue is so anachronistic and it's delightful. She's probably my favorite character.

I love shopping! Like, totally

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I already miss her in my Hawkeye/Chawwlotte/Riesz party.

Also the "we have so much lucre let's spend it" comments once you start getting big money drops :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

orcane posted:

Also the "we have so much lucre let's spend it" comments once you start getting big money drops :v:

Riesz lines are the most grating of these that I've come across.

e. honourable mention of Kevin's "what's a buy?" line

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I also feel we should buy stuff for the journey :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would totally buy more stuff but there's nothing I can buy yet, valkyrie lady. Maybe once we get to merchant town.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Beefstew posted:

Her dialogue is fun. Really fun.

Also love a lot of Hawkeye and Charlotte's dialogue. And Some of Riesz's are fun just because of how naïve and serious she can be.

Alright. Finally got all the ultimate equipment for Dark Hawkeye, Light Riesz, and Dark Charlotte. Let's see how they fare against each other stat-wise:

Lv. 99 Vigilante Hawkeye

HP: 1703
MP: 190
STR: 230+60=290
STA: 198+30=228
INT: 223+30=253
SPR: 211+60=271
LCK: 262+30=292

Agni (Weapon): +133 ATK, +126 MGC ATK

Sorrow Regalia (Headgear): +27 DEF, +18 MGC DEF
Abyssal Hood (Armor): +66 DEF, +69 MGC DEF
Fatimeye (Accessory): +17 DEF, +29 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +110 DEF, +116 MGC DEF

Total ATK: 290+133=423
Total DEF: 228+110=338
Total MGC ATK: 253+126=379
Total MGC DEF: 271+116=386

Lv. 99 Meteorite Riesz

HP: 1760
MP: 203
STR: 211+60=271
STA: 230+60=290
INT: 191+30=221
SPR: 243+30=273
LCK: 230+30=260

Brunedge (Weapon): +118 ATK, +105 MGC ATK

Meteor Helmet (Headgear): +32 DEF, +19 MGC DEF
Celestial Armor (Armor): +75 DEF, +74 MGC DEF
Pegasus Reins (Accessory): +19 DEF, +31 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +126 DEF, +124 MGC DEF

Total ATK: 271+118=389
Total DEF: 290+126=416
Total MGC ATK: 221+105=326
Total MGC DEF: 273+124=397

Lv. 99 Chaosbringer Charlotte

HP: 1589+30=1619
MP: 248+30=278
STR: 223+30=253
STA: 172+30=202
INT: 223+30=253
SPR: 262+30=292
LCK: 198+30=228

Helheim (Weapon): +126 ATK, +126 MGC ATK

Grimm Bow (Headgear): +24 DEF, +24 MGC DEF
Grimm Frock (Armor): +54 DEF, +96 MGC DEF
Dark Umber (Accessory): +14 DEF, +40 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +92 DEF, +160 MGC DEF

Total ATK: 253+126=379
Total DEF: 202+92=294
Total MGC ATK: 253+126=379
Total MGC DEF: 292+160=386

Pretty straightforward. Hawkeye and Charlotte are physically frail hybrid attackers (leaning towards magic due to abilities), and Riesz doesn't have a good base for magic attacks but will withstand quite a good amount of damage, especially with her support spells up.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

jokes posted:

I want to do the other three for a second play through, but am wondering if a NG+ is a good idea or not. I suppose I would just be starting the game with all items and all the money I’d ever need which isn’t any different from how I always had all the money necessary to upgrade gear anyways, but with lvl 1 and no weapons. Is there an achievement or something?

Anyways, I loving hate that I switched Duran from Light/Dark to Dark/Dark before I hit class 4 because Liege was infinitely more useful than Duelist. Not having that group heal was really rough since I had the ability that gave me 5MP every 5 seconds making MP management a non issue as he could heal for roughly 60% on everyone on every cast. He did okay damage, but I felt I was missing out by not having sword buffs or that super-strong class strike. Turns out the grass isn’t greener. Archmage Angela with Riesz buffing (Star lancer) and Duran (Liege) was a very powerful party and I regret switching away from it, since now I’m chomping chocolates and candy and honey constantly when before I had a basically limitless healing reserve.

I should just switch back. Liege is cooler looking anyways.

i had the same thought of changing duran to dark but ultimately didnt. the game does a good job of making you think you dont need heals and then halfway through the benevedons everything starts hitting alot harder and its alot easier to manage boss fights when you can top off everyones hp with a multiheal.

think my next playthrough will be kevin charlotte and hawkeye. with the voiceovers turned off probably.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 29, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lol I didn't realize NG+ kept your levels. Welp looks like my 3rd playthrough will be me as lv99 beating up rabites.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m at the part where I just got the sword and I’m headed to the Beastman castle should I have some of these ??? Seeds the game is telling me about? I don’t think I’ve found any yet and I’ve been pretty thorough. If I head to the next location without class changing will I still have time to do it before the game ends?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They start showing up in Chapter V which is right after that part.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They start showing up in Chapter V which is right after that part.

Cheers mate.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Duran and Kevin just said they wanted to "cross swords" and Charlotte was all "ye aight, as long as y'all having fun"

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Edit: Wow, they made the koropokkur town 10000x more interesting.

Yeah, I always found that part of the original to be a massive slog that grinds your momentum to a halt, but the actual village in the remake is incredibly charming :3:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Angela: Of course we won. :smug:

I'm also enjoying Angela's VA very much :) I'm also partial to Duran's giddy laughter during battle. He's loving it!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Did they try to match voices to the mouths? Might explain why Riesz is so robotic some of the time. Duran, Angela and Hawkeye's VAs did a really good job if that's the case, and Kevin at least has the excuse of slightly broken English. we mustn't mention the clownbaby

The voice acting might be my favorite part though, it's Legend Of Dragoon levels of "so bad it's good." There was some townsperson beating up on Niccolo following the events at Laurent who was so uninterested in saying "Take that and that" and I was just cackling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Reisz is supposed to be like a boring "duty above all, we need to be prudent all the time" sort of thing so she has more muted voice direction and says poo poo like "we should stock up on essentials for the journey" when you get mad bux.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
God, the music is so loving good. I'll just idle and listen to Decision Bell loop for ages.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I wish Kevin sounded more like he did in my head back in the day. He was more of a guttural caveman then.
But I'll say again, I cannot get enough of Angela. I find all of her dialogue and delivery to be loving hilarious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Riesz's voice acting annoys me more than Chawotte's.

Also I like Kevin's. The whole "ooga booga me Kevin me do bad grammar" thing is dumb. In this it sounds more like he's just not 100% comfortable with human speech, which is way better.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 29, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The wildlife takes care of babies. Don't worry about it!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

i had the same thought of changing duran to dark but ultimately didnt. the game does a good job of making you think you dont need heals and then halfway through the benevedons everything starts hitting alot harder and its alot easier to manage boss fights when you can top off everyones hp with a multiheal.

Did they change/nerf Poto Oil?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Did they change/nerf Poto Oil?

If anything it's even stronger now, especially once you get into the late/postgame. I've got Angela throwing them for upwards of 600 healing a person into a ~1200 HP health pool.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

If anything it's even stronger now, especially once you get into the late/postgame. I've got Angela throwing them for upwards of 600 healing a person into a ~1200 HP health pool.

Holy poo poo, I had some weird recollection that it healed 200 per party member in the original and even that wasn't right, heh. I was thinking it was nerfed cuz it was healing about 95 each in my fight with Harcypete last night. Guess I should've been throwing them with a non-Duran member!

Now it's gonna drive me crazy trying to think of what game had a 200-per-party-member healing item

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chrono Trigger maybe?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
They're nerfed in the sense that they have a small delay to use and finish using, moreso than other items.
It's still Poto Oils though.

and yeah Chrono Trigger had Lapis' that healed for 200.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Poto oils scaled based on a character's spirit because they were literally just casting MT Heallight on your party. So a high spirit Angela would heal more than a Duran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ah it was definitely the Lapis, thanks!