Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

All of that info for reopening looks like a huge pain in the rear end, I wouldn’t even bother going to the parks for the remainder of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

Any cast member hear anything back about UI? Been a week with zero correspondence from the state after registering.

If it's anything like Louisiana, you need to reapply your claim once a week to collect. If it makes you feel better, Louisiana's is a loving puzzle even if you're the target audience. Somehow I figured out filing my wife (self employed hair stylist) and myself (typical salaried) but not without a bunch of anxiety and headaches.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No, as in actually heard back from the initial application? Florida's site is garbage and almost never even working, but even after getting through the initial application and it saying they would get back to us about approving or denying it we've heard nothing. My wife is a cast member and I'm self employed, but neither of us got a response. They'd only processed 1% of claims as of a few days ago apparently, just curious if anyone had any luck.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

My friend is adamant WDW will be opened by June 1, and is excited for his November trip. I think he’s an irresponsible fool for taking him and his wife and 2 kids on that trip this year.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

No, as in actually heard back from the initial application? Florida's site is garbage and almost never even working, but even after getting through the initial application and it saying they would get back to us about approving or denying it we've heard nothing. My wife is a cast member and I'm self employed, but neither of us got a response. They'd only processed 1% of claims as of a few days ago apparently, just curious if anyone had any luck.

That's some crap, and here I was legit thinking Louisiana unemployment was the absolute worst (second lowest paying in the country, always second to MS!)
I feel for yall, I hope you have luck, I've heard payments are supposed to be retroactive

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I also didn't get into the first round of auto-enrollment I don't think. Got "demoted" from my non-union role back to my old union role and furloughed from there and lost in the shuffle.

I've read from a few people that we may not get a confirmation email regarding our enrollment and that logging in and requesting a PIN reset would work. Every time I've tried it I just get locked out of my account for half an hour. I have no clue what's going on, it's a mess.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I like how the guideline says it encourages 65+ of age to stay at home.

Will they receive benefits if they do, or are they cut off from benefits if they don't report to work, after all we're open!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
My wife is sort of in the system? Some folks have had luck by hitting forgot pin and in, but it says my wife doesn’t have an email on file. One of my friends got paid yesterday so some folks are lucky.

I heard they sent a fair number of the TAs back to union roles, but everyone I know that is farther in the process was non-union.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lol did they end up axing the guest temperature screening idea because someone correctly realized that there’s no way Shelley from Omaha is going to react rationally to being told her temperature is 100.5 and she can’t go in

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

Lol did they end up axing the guest temperature screening idea because someone correctly realized that there’s no way Shelley from Omaha is going to react rationally to being told her temperature is 100.5 and she can’t go in

Temperature screening is a super inaccurate tool for this and didn't stop anything from spreading in this situation.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Scudworth posted:

Temperature screening is a super inaccurate tool for this and didn't stop anything from spreading in this situation.
I took a (non-Disney) cruise in early March right as this whole thing was starting, and they were screening passengers with a health questionnaire (which people could just lie on) and temperature checks which consisted of a non-medically-trained staff member pointing an IR thermometer vaguely at your forehead for half a second and waving you through.

Fortunately, nobody on board got sick, but that's about the level of scrutiny I'd expect from Disney of they try this.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

The logistics of doing the check would be tough. To further back up the socially distanced park entrance queue to do temp checks would be a lot. In the face of the logistics I wonder if they looked at the pct non-symptomatic and said “ah screw it the temp checks won’t do anything anyway”

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
What good are tape markings every 6 feet when the queues double back upon themselves all the time? And you'll end up sitting right next to someone anyways as they scream their head off on Tower of Terror?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Water Resistant posted:

What good are tape markings every 6 feet when the queues double back upon themselves all the time? And you'll end up sitting right next to someone anyways as they scream their head off on Tower of Terror?

Fill every third seat?

WDW will be a ticket to get sick. Still worth it.

Sadly I just found out my July Disney trip was just cancelled.... #SAD

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Water Resistant posted:

As the economics thread says; Numbers must go up.

I got to ask my nephew if they canceled his college program for the fall.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys realize those were requirements from the county for all amusement parks, and not Disney's list, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the point is that even the baseline guidelines aren't possible to implement much less anything more strict that Disney could come up with.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Quixotic1 posted:

As the economics thread says; Numbers must go up.

I got to ask my nephew if they canceled his college program for the fall.

The May through January programs got cancelled, but as far as I know the August to January one is still on.

My wife’s probably going to get deployed even if they do reopen, they sent all her Norwegian kids home and it’ll take a while to get em back even once things start to reopen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This doesn't even say when they're reopening. If they reopen at the end of the year with these requirements, then we're talking.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

This doesn't even say when they're reopening. If they reopen at the end of the year with these requirements, then we're talking.

haha maybe.

it depends on how many people die after all these idiot states reopen.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Water Resistant posted:

I want to see how far back the queue goes for, like, Smugglers Run or Mine Train. Even if the parks are at capacity, that's a ton of blank space.

I want to see the SR End of Line sign by the Starbucks is what I'm saying.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

If the parks aren't open on June 1, I'll be thoroughly surprised.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

unless something changes, prepare to be thoroughly surprised.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm very curious where this shitshow goes. Shareholders and an overeager Florida governor are going to demand the economy crank up ASAP but liability concerns and common sense (and general public sentiment) are at odds with all of that nonsense. No one with a shred of intelligence expects large gatherings tens of thousands strong to be ok for 6+ months (realistically not until a vaccine), so how the hell does a place like Disney function?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

unless something changes, prepare to be thoroughly surprised.

Let me be clear, I don't think they SHOULD open then, but with the push for things to reopen sooner rather than later, I think they will be. But honestly, I'll be very happy and relieved if they remain closed through the summer.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Re: lines, they could always move towards more virtual lines to minimize time standing next to others before a ride.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm very curious where this shitshow goes. Shareholders and an overeager Florida governor are going to demand the economy crank up ASAP but liability concerns and common sense (and general public sentiment) are at odds with all of that nonsense. No one with a shred of intelligence expects large gatherings tens of thousands strong to be ok for 6+ months (realistically not until a vaccine), so how the hell does a place like Disney function?

Trump & Mitch are making sure liability isn't an issue by removing it. If you get sick at work you will have no recourse.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Re: lines, they could always move towards more virtual lines to minimize time standing next to others before a ride.

The problem is that the parks are not designed for virtual queues. The designs always assumed most people will be packed into queues all day. Even just the basic Fastpass system up ended that when it launched and caused huge crowds out in the walkways that hadn't been there before. WDW had more slack but Disneyland was particularly bad. It hasn't been fixed in the decades since.

And now image everyone packed into the hub waiting for their virtual queue. And all the other lands because there is not enough space for them.

Oh but that's why they are reducing capacity you say. Well remember too that Magic Kingdom doesn't hit capacity on most days. "50% is a fake limitation". It's meaningless.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol of you don't think Disney is going to use the opportunity to raise ticket prices so only the elites get to go in until a cure is found

That's my theory atleast.

I get to drive to crystal River from New Hampshire next week can't wait

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disney is bleeding money. They don't have the luxury to play games like that right now.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Braksgirl posted:

Probably locals only, at first, FWIW. It's going to be crazy trial/error the first few weeks where rules/things done change on the fly. And it'll vary between the different parks. I'm really close to the parks where I live, so I'm going whenever one opens the day it does, Disney, Universal, or Sea World, I don't care. Even if only for a few minutes out of curiosity, and I suspect I'm not alone there.

Also the amount of restaurants/shops that have shut down (probably for good) outside the parks around here is going to make things interesting whenever it does get back to "normal".

Atricks fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 29, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dren posted:

The logistics of doing the check would be tough. To further back up the socially distanced park entrance queue to do temp checks would be a lot. In the face of the logistics I wonder if they looked at the pct non-symptomatic and said “ah screw it the temp checks won’t do anything anyway”

Oh for sure, I just think that on top of that someone imagined Customer Experience staffers in the peak of Florida summer trying to deal with daily hourly meltdowns from angry guests and rightfully decided it wasn’t worth it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

Oh but that's why they are reducing capacity you say. Well remember too that Magic Kingdom doesn't hit capacity on most days. "50% is a fake limitation". It's meaningless.

Yeah Christmas is 100% capacity. It's wall to wall people. 50% needs to be more like 20%.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
FWIW some friends of mine that work at Universal are on a call tomorrow about being on the "reopening team" and actively planning for it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I hope for the sake of the workers that the studies on weather affects of the virus are right. Also that the clinical trials continue to be a success. I'm with braks in that despite all evidence saying "this is a very very bad idea" some theme park if not all are gonna reopen sooner than they should.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Open not to the public, just private events where all the rides and some food is open for a few thousand bucks a day. Think 21 Royal but the whole park.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just out of curiosity, to what degree does Disney need to maintain a civil relationship with area hotels? The most obvious step after locals is “on property guests only” but that’s likely to piss off other notes forever. I’m not sure if that’s prohibitive though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those other hotels bend over backwards for Disney because it's the only reason they exist really. Whenever Disney does open I don't think they'll even cap attendance because it'd be impossible to prioritize and manage and I don't think they'd do Property guests only because the backlash from other guests would be the problem, not hotels.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

RCarr posted:

This is stupid and reckless.

Sorry, but there’s profit to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any word on if Disney springs is opening monxay?