Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nerves of steel, man.

I understand why you clutched it out: the supply mission (and its variation landed UFO) are incredibly important injections of resources at this point in the campaign. That loss plus the problems of losing a region would have put you on a downward trajectory again, but I would have been reaching for the ejection handle when my sharpshooters caught on fire as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

eating only apples posted:

Awww man. See ya, Bonnie.

She set the death flags ages ago so we should've really seen it coming.

This mission made me incredibly anxious. Held your nerve way better than I would've

I was just kidding about those death flags, dammit! What a rough way to start the day.

(Kaishai was finally gonna buy that sailboat once this was all over, too)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, that was a mission all right.

Well done pulling it out of the bag. That double activation was nasty.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

An enemy unit that can stealth, incapacitate a unit in a single turn AND create a hostile duplicate in its place? That's patently unfair.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

kw0134 posted:

An enemy unit that can stealth, incapacitate a unit in a single turn AND create a hostile duplicate in its place? That's patently unfair.

It's not that different than a successful mind control which also takes a unit of yours out of action and "replaces" it with a hostile. A Sectoid can do that from cover the whatchamacallit has to go out of cover to create the duplicate and gets a move to get back into cover instead.

The main difference is the success rate and you can't nullify it with gear (other than murderization via bluescreen)

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 29, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:tviv:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well gently caress mind control too! These are stupid mechanics.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

kw0134 posted:

I loving hate Spectres. They're stupid, they're kind of confusing lore-wise, they get lightning reflexes, and they get to turn invisible. They'd be less awful if they didn't get to turn invisible after cloning someone imo, that's what really tips them over into 'gently caress off' territory.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah you shoulda hit up the black market because the Elerium research is a bottleneck for a lot of goodies.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

I loving hate Spectres. They're stupid, they're kind of confusing lore-wise, they get lightning reflexes, and they get to turn invisible. They'd be less awful if they didn't get to turn invisible after cloning someone imo, that's what really tips them over into 'gently caress off' territory.

Yeah but they make that neat WUB.... wub sound when you activate them. :downs:

I dunno, count me on the side of "treats them as a non-threat like sectoids because their first move never hurts", especially since it's a mind-control where you're allowed to just murder your buddy to end it, but any level of bullshit is amplified massively by being encountered on a 3-man mission.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have no problem with mind control in XCOM1; it's only used by alien types you won't encounter until MUCH later, and there are decent, but not perfect counters to it.

Mind control in XCOM2 is stupid because an enemy you see literally in the first mission of the game can use it. And you just put on a mindshield (which costs only supplies and corpses of that very common enemy) and suddenly it's successfully countered 100% of the time.

I have a lot of fun playing WotC, but it's nowhere near as good a game as XCOM Long War is. The balance just isn't there.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Grapplejack posted:

With Spectres it's really the combination of all the factors that make me hate them. It's not just the Shadowbind thing, it's that they get Shadowbind AND ALSO Shadowbind can't be prevented AND ALSO they get a full action after Shadowbinding AND ALSO they get to go invisible AND ALSO they teleport AND ALSO they have built Lightning Reflexes AND ALSO they move first to burn overwatches AND ALSO that they're mechanical except in cases where being mechanical would be a penalty so they get to dodge both anti-biological AND ALSO anti-mechanical options.

Cut nearly any one of those and Spectres are suddenly much more reasonable enemies.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Omnicrom posted:

With Spectres it's really the combination of all the factors that make me hate them. It's not just the Shadowbind thing, it's that they get Shadowbind AND ALSO Shadowbind can't be prevented AND ALSO they get a full action after Shadowbinding AND ALSO they get to go invisible AND ALSO they teleport AND ALSO they have built Lightning Reflexes AND ALSO they move first to burn overwatches AND ALSO that they're mechanical except in cases where being mechanical would be a penalty so they get to dodge both anti-biological AND ALSO anti-mechanical options.

Cut nearly any one of those and Spectres are suddenly much more reasonable enemies.

I have good news for you, then, because two of those can be cut!

1.) They don't get to go invisible after shadowbinding. They're always visible on the turn in which they shadowbind.
2.) They're considered mechanical for the purpose of bluescreen rounds, which melts them pretty good, as mentioned upthread.

They remain my most hated enemy and I think they're total bullshit though.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

FairGame posted:

A short outbreak of madness

What the hell, man. I mean, what the blue hell! Absolute insanity in the best possible way. Bad activation, bad enemy mix, bad bad bad sit rep and you somehow bulldozed through it.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le optimal XCom play :black101:

As for most hated enemy, my bugbear has yet to appear in this thread, but when they turn up...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The worst thing about WotC (well, XCOM2 in general) for me is how nearly every enemy is just a normal-rear end humanoid. All the different kinds of Advent infantry, specters, codices, the lost, the Chosen, the various shadows that get summoned... even sectoids and mutons are way more human-shaped than in EU. I think the only enemy we've seen that couldn't be played by a human in a rubber suit is the viper.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

megane posted:

The worst thing about WotC (well, XCOM2 in general) for me is how nearly every enemy is just a normal-rear end humanoid. All the different kinds of Advent infantry, specters, codices, the lost, the Chosen, the various shadows that get summoned... even sectoids and mutons are way more human-shaped than in EU. I think the only enemy we've seen that couldn't be played by a human in a rubber suit is the viper.

We'll meet some friends who are more alien later

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Akratic Method posted:

I've really enjoyed the sound Codices make when they take the feedback damage lately!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I've really enjoyed the sound Codices make when they take the feedback damage lately!

Nothing in XCOM 2 quite touches the sound design of thin men and sectoids from Enemy Unknown/Within, but codices and spectres are my favorites in XCOM 2, with our ORB buddy the gatekeeper (wooooo woo woo woo woo) being a close third.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 29, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

megane posted:

We haven't even seen a whole bunch of enemies yet, we are easily less than a third of the way through the game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Back during the design of the original (not WotC) XCOM2, they did a whole thing about enemy design and matching the sound to the enemy. It was kind of neat.

But the creepiest enemy in all of XCOM1 to me was the cryssalid, with that horrible running clicking sound as they dashed onto the scene, and nothing in XCOM2 managed to replicate that same feeling of dread.

The mechanical enemies are less varied as well. You have...mecs and...other mecs and...spoiler, I guess, but everyone knows it's coming (sectopods). No seekers/drones/or my favorite weird looking enemy, the cyberdisc. There's what I guess is supposed to be the XCOM2 version of the disc but it's just not as cool.

I dunno. I like WotC a lot, obviously. Enough to LP it. But it's merely a very fun game whereas I think so much of XCOM1 EW (with long war, admittedly) as an absolute masterpiece. I could play that game every day from now until my death and still enjoy it. Only thing it lacks is map variety.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

The mechanical enemies are less varied as well. You have...mecs and...other mecs and...spoiler, I guess, but everyone knows it's coming (sectopods). No seekers/drones/or my favorite weird looking enemy, the cyberdisc. There's what I guess is supposed to be the XCOM2 version of the disc but it's just not as cool.

Cyberdisc noise is my fave from EW, I love how weird it sounds. Actually its whole design is my favourite, when it unfolds it's so cool. Yeah, nothing so cool in 2. There's some really cool enemies upcoming in 2, and I'm glad they ditched floaters in favour of... them.

Actually, Fairgame I missed what you're doing with the Rulers. Are they showing up in this? I really like them, but can see on legendary them being panic-worthy. I haven't seen how WotC nerfed them yet so I'd be interested.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Cyberdisc noise is my fave from EW, I love how weird it sounds. Actually its whole design is my favourite, when it unfolds it's so cool. Yeah, nothing so cool in 2. There's some really cool enemies upcoming in 2, and I'm glad they ditched floaters in favour of... them.

Actually, Fairgame I missed what you're doing with the Rulers. Are they showing up in this? I really like them, but can see on legendary them being panic-worthy. I haven't seen how WotC nerfed them yet so I'd be interested.

My plan is to only show off rulers if I'm forced to (meaning I need to take out a research facility, and my only option is one with a ruler guarding it). I hate them a lot.

If we complete the campaign without showing them all off, I'll circle back and do a bonus video/two/three. Same as the base defense that never technically happened in the Long War LP

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

My plan is to only show off rulers if I'm forced to (meaning I need to take out a research facility, and my only option is one with a ruler guarding it). I hate them a lot.

If we complete the campaign without showing them all off, I'll circle back and do a bonus video/two/three. Same as the base defense that never technically happened in the Long War LP

Even if you do have to kill them, if you want to just cheese them with a reaper and sniper(s) and make letting them move/act a bonus video , I won't complain.

Edit: to be honest, when Danaru LPed this game and wiped one of them without it ever moving, I laughed pretty hard. It'll be a fun sight for the folks who don't realize how exploitable the rulers' rules are.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

Oh, you can cage them? They won't show up normally? They're bullshit but I love 'em :shobon:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Even if you do have to kill them, if you want to just cheese them with a reaper and sniper(s) and make letting them move/act a bonus video , I won't complain.

Edit: to be honest, when Danaru LPed this game and wiped one of them without it ever moving, I laughed pretty hard. It'll be a fun sight for the folks who don't realize how exploitable the rulers' rules are.

I thought you were going to talk about the Jade Star LP, where he executed the archon king when it had 110 HP left

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Grapplejack posted:

I thought you were going to talk about the Jade Star LP, where he executed the archon king when it had 110 HP left

Oh i remember that, that was incredible

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, the Mimic Beacon has nothing on the Repeater for Maximum Bullshit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, the Mimic Beacon has nothing on the Repeater for Maximum Bullshit.
The joy of the repeater is that, aside from one extremely specific scenario, it's too random to build a strategy around. It just shows up sometimes to delete a powerful enemy in anticlimactic fashion. Few things are funnier that seeing a Chosen or similar threat felled by repeater, fire, or fall damage.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The joy of the repeater is that, aside from one extremely specific scenario, it's too random to build a strategy around. It just shows up sometimes to delete a powerful enemy in anticlimactic fashion. Few things are funnier that seeing a Chosen or similar threat felled by repeater, fire, or fall damage.

Will we ever see Fairgame use a flame grenade on a chosen or something else just to light it on fire and kind of shut it down?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kaishai NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We were going to be sniper buddies, and you saved my life with that medkit :(
I owe Delacroix a few drinks as well for parrying all those shots for me too...

Seriously, it replicated loving lightning hands AND talon rounds too? And of course it procs immediately, unlike when I use them

Also I approve of cheesing the gently caress out of the alien rulers, they are assholes who don't play fair so I don't see why we should give them any quarter.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 30, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm actually surprised you didn't bring a Mimic Beacon or two for that Surgical sitrep. If the game is going to throw bullshit at you, you're well within your rights to throw bullshit right back at it.

As for Spectres, I just don't understand what their role is or why they were needed. An enemy should have a playstyle they encourage or counter. Like how Mutons will seek out heavy cover and throw grenades, but aren't terribly mobile or accurate, encouraging you to spread out your units and make use of flanking. Sectoids push you to keep your units together and move aggressively, since they have a lot of disabling abilities which are reversed when they're killed and a melee vulnerability. Vipers punish you for letting units get too isolated or grouping up too close, and do low amounts of hard to avoid damage and status effects which reward you for leaning more on healers. Exc.

The only thing Spectres really do is encourage you to immediately fall back and form into a big overwatch ball, which I thought was a playstyle that the designers wanted to discourage because it was dumb and boring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Kaishai NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We were going to be sniper buddies, and you saved my life with that medkit :(
I owe Delacroix a few drinks as well for parrying all those shots for me too...

Seriously, it replicated loving lightning hands AND talon rounds too? And of course it procs immediately, unlike when I use them

Also I approve of cheesing the gently caress out of the alien rulers, they are assholes who don't play fair so I don't see why we should give them any quarter.

There's a pile of other Sharpshooters waiting in the wings to get trained up and sent out to die in the field so there might be hope yet.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Akratic Method posted:

I dunno, count me on the side of "treats them as a non-threat like sectoids because their first move never hurts", especially since it's a mind-control where you're allowed to just murder your buddy to end it, but any level of bullshit is amplified massively by being encountered on a 3-man mission.

Yeah my last surgical/trainraid mission ended up being mostly a solo operation because two of my soldiers were constantly mindcontrolled or shadowbound. Because not only are mindcontrol/shadow bullshit, they have functionally-nonexistent cooldowns as well.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

We've spent a lot of time discussing alien unit bullshit, so let's finally have a mission where we get to use XCOM unit bullshit.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
For a master of stealth, Sugar Addict sure is chatty.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"they'll never see me coming!" [blows up every car in five mile radius]

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

kw0134 posted:

"they'll never see me coming!" [blows up every car in five mile radius]

Well, it's really difficult to see anything through all the smoke and flames...

*The other kind of Stealth.*

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

/stands right next to an alien

I HAVE SIGHT BEYOND VISION!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat Faceoff for Megane, huh? Oh well they can't all be winners I guess and 2/3 ain't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Never buying EMP grenades, which when upgraded to EMP bombs and paired with a grenadier with the two-grenades promotion and biggest booms are THE hard counter to all specter shenanigans and also neutralize the two most powerful non-boss units in the game