Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I read that conversation in the Shinra building as the opposite of redemption. It feels like it's more of a Banality of Evil moment than anything.

Up until this point if you hadn't played the original you might think Reno is some psycho cokehead enforcer but nah he knows what he's doing, he feels conflicted by it, but he does it anyway, and then makes excuses for it afterwards to try to assuage his guilt.

If he's written competently then next time the party runs into the Turks they'll double down on their assholishness when confronted about it.

In all likelihood though since the plate drop was simultaneously a great tragedy and yet didn't seem to actually kill anyone due to the miraculously effective evacuation they'll probably have some bloo bloo all-is-forgiven moment though.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean if you've played the original you know where the whole thing with the Turks is going.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is the same writer/director combo who made Advent Children, where the Turks had an at least somewhat heroic role (and also Rufus managed to survive getting exploded by Diamond Weapon). Doesn't mean they'll do it the same way twice, admittedly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

The party try to kill a shitload of people with bombings. Sorry that Reno and Rude are competent.

Shinra aren't people, but I am uncomfortable with how casual Berett is with collateral damage.

Harrow posted:

They already started setting up the redemption arc in this game so I guess buckle up?

Yeah, I can see that (but Sapzhnik makes a good point).

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean if you've played the original you know where the whole thing with the Turks is going.

I do. It's just 50 year old me has a completely different outlook on life than 26 year old me.

I guess I'm just frustrated these days with so many lovely, evil people in power skating through life consequence free that I'd like to not see it in a video game.

I'm still going to play the poo poo out this and the sequels.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean even in the original the Turks become sorta goofy recurring bosses, then allies of convenience who eventually decide they like the party more than their bosses and stop opposing the group.

I imagine the general direction will be the same.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Proteus Jones posted:

Shinra aren't people, but I am uncomfortable with how casual Berett is with collateral damage.

They are people and the entire crew knows that destroying the reactors is a recipe for immediate explosive death followed by grinding death without power.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean even in the original the Turks become sorta goofy recurring bosses, then allies of convenience who eventually decide they like the party more than their bosses and stop opposing the group.

I imagine the general direction will be the same.

I hope so I really like the Turks

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

gross

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

They are people and the entire crew knows that destroying the reactors is a recipe for immediate explosive death followed by grinding death without power.

I know. I'm being half hyperbolic/half serious with my comments. The redemption stuff still bothers me a bit, but it is what it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If nothing else, I think we'll get more Shinra/Turk content in the remake than in the original. They were definitely setting up an important role for Rufus, given that he could see the Whispers and Tseng couldn't. And also if they're going to stretch this beyond three parts as it sounds like they might, they'll need something to fill in story time, and Shinra and the Turks are probably good candidates for that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

finding out he was a science experiment was disconcerting but the true secret he uncovered was that hojo was his dad

he was the direct result of hojo loving and nibelheim was where it happened, cleansing it with fire was the only solution he could think of and you're lying if you say you wouldn't have done the same

I don't remember that part from the original. It has been decades, though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

he was the direct result of hojo loving and nibelheim was where it happened, cleansing it with fire was the only solution he could think of and you're lying if you say you wouldn't have done the same

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

UltraRed posted:

I don't remember that part from the original. It has been decades, though.

I think they're kidding but like, bitch me too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hojo, rubbing his cheek on the shinra manor's master bed: "this is where your dear mother and i.......cop-u-la-ted"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I forget that Hojo is Sephiroth's actual biological dad and it's funny all over again every time I remember

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

They should've made a prequel where you play as Hojo to cash in on the sad dad genre of games

Sad dad, mad dad, close enough

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Sometimes I forget that Hojo is Sephiroth's actual biological dad and it's funny all over again every time I remember

You can see the family resemblance, can't you?

brains and beauty, what's not to like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In the remake Hojo saves the world by giving Sephiroth a hug and saying, tearfully, "I'm proud of you, son"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

In the remake Hojo saves the world by giving Sephiroth a hug and saying, tearfully, "I'm proud of you, son"

They should have made Seph a silent protagonist so I could live through this vicariously :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UltraRed posted:

They should have made Seph a silent protagonist so I could live through this vicariously :smith:

You could always make yourself one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1B3gATS0GE

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Immensely funny to me that not even Hojo's AI son likes him.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The whispers of the planet are the protagonists we deserve.

"Why does poo poo happen?"

"because it do"

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255501379382259713

Watch this twitter thread as a translator is going through a lot of the notes previously discussed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

The party try to kill a shitload of people with bombings. Sorry that Reno and Rude are competent.

Same but ironically

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

No they don't. The intent is not to "try" to kill innocent civilians. Killing Shinra mooks is fine to them because the mooks are complicit in the destruction of The Planet but Avalanche are absolutely not intentionally trying to murder or terrorize the regular citizens. The intent is to stop the resource exploitation and destruction of The Planet. Jessie even intentionally tries to build a weak bomb to minimize damage and casualties.

But they're also all admittedly rank amateurs at all this eco-terrorism stuff so yeah of course they're not going to think everything through and then also they have no idea that Shinra is going to self-sabotage as a means of propaganda.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i like how when during the final battle when the party learns their predetermined futures that cloud never sees Aerith's face during the reveal of her death, he sees bits and pieces but never her actual face. Also calling it now that Nomura's hidden meaning for Remake is that this game ended with the ability to remake destiny lol.

This game ruled and i'm super hype for part 2.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

hojo, rubbing his cheek on the shinra manor's master bed: "this is where your dear mother and i.......cop-u-la-ted"

brb buying Flopsy a new avatar

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Speaking of Hojo

https://twitter.com/Saltbeast_/status/1255165055156412416

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When this fame comes out on the PC, someone should make a mod that lets you play as Cloud in a dress all the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hot christ, I just got to Nibelheim in the OG and there’s a small version of the black-cloak entities here. :gonk:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Rhonne posted:

When this fame comes out on the PC, someone should make a mod that lets you play as Cloud in a dress all the time.

Oh it will, but somebody's already on that via save editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRzAzBDXQc

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pollyanna posted:

Hot christ, I just got to Nibelheim in the OG and there’s a small version of the black-cloak entities here. :gonk:

Presumably that was the little kid from the Kalm flashback (the one who has his sister parroting him). How he would have escaped Nibelheim burning and then been clonified, well...Hojo did have that convenient lab nearby

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dubious posted:

i like how when during the final battle when the party learns their predetermined futures that cloud never sees Aerith's face during the reveal of her death, he sees bits and pieces but never her actual face. Also calling it now that Nomura's hidden meaning for Remake is that this game ended with the ability to remake destiny lol.

Aerith lives... but she goes back to Zack!!!

My teenage self would never have recovered.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Aeris lives, but only if her affection rating is higher than Tifa's. :smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Luceo posted:

Aeris lives, but only if her affection rating is higher than Tifa's. :smith:

Tifa... dies?!? How far back will I have to reload?

What if you romance Barret

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

UltraRed posted:

Tifa... dies?!? How far back will I have to reload?

What if you romance Barret

Seph shishkabobs both Tifa and Aeris.

edit: and Yuffie

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the industry that's what's known as a shipkebab.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Luceo posted:

Seph shishkabobs both Tifa and Aeris.

edit: and Yuffie

Actually wouldn't be surprised if he goes after Tifa this time around, considering. He's really been laying on making Cloud look unstable when Tifa's around and if that doesn't work, well....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

If nothing else, I think we'll get more Shinra/Turk content in the remake than in the original. They were definitely setting up an important role for Rufus, given that he could see the Whispers and Tseng couldn't. And also if they're going to stretch this beyond three parts as it sounds like they might, they'll need something to fill in story time, and Shinra and the Turks are probably good candidates for that.

I am looking forward to seeing Remake Elena get more screen time

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

BaDandy posted:

I think it would have gone slightly better if he were just told, "Yeah, you have human parents, we just stuck alien cells into the womb to see what would happen." Not, you know, coming to the conclusions of "Here's your mother, The Thing. You're also the same as these humans turned monsters."

It was always odd to me that he never actually grappled with the truth in any way - I guess it doesn't really matter to him anymore after he decided to be a god and his incorrect assumptions were only the catalyst for that, but it would be interesting to see if finding out that he was mostly human after all had any impact at all.

Sapozhnik posted:

I read that conversation in the Shinra building as the opposite of redemption. It feels like it's more of a Banality of Evil moment than anything.

Up until this point if you hadn't played the original you might think Reno is some psycho cokehead enforcer but nah he knows what he's doing, he feels conflicted by it, but he does it anyway, and then makes excuses for it afterwards to try to assuage his guilt.

If he's written competently then next time the party runs into the Turks they'll double down on their assholishness when confronted about it.

In all likelihood though since the plate drop was simultaneously a great tragedy and yet didn't seem to actually kill anyone due to the miraculously effective evacuation they'll probably have some bloo bloo all-is-forgiven moment though.

I didn't get the impression that many people actually got out of the plate collapse - they evacuated a tiny neighborhood of the slums that happened to be where several party members live and where most of the people they know and care about are from, but when you start climbing the tower and see how big the plates are it's pretty clear that the devastation is enormous - the ruins stretch as far as the naked eye can see (they literally look like they're the size of a small state), and everyone living on top of the plate died too. Reeve mentions "catastrophic figures"as well, and given how he is written as the bleeding heart member of the Shinra board, I doubt he was talking about structural damage. There's a lot of incidental NPC dialogue implying that peoples' families are dead and stuff too.

I will agree that having Biggs *and* Wedge survive is a bit much, though.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you wanna hit my heartstrings seph's gonna have to kill red