Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I'm playing through the demo and DQXI seems like the video game equivalent of pizza rolls: not necessarily amazing, but extremely familiar and comfort.

Is this a good synopsis of the game's feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It might be low-hanging fruit, but I love that Hendrik shows moments of just being a weirdo like everybody else when they let their guard down.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Rhadamanthus posted:

I'm playing through the demo and DQXI seems like the video game equivalent of pizza rolls: not necessarily amazing, but extremely familiar and comfort.

It's been often described as comfort food for the JRPG fan so, yes. It's pretty much dead-on.
DQXI is a game that feels like it was made in 1996 and 2018 simultaneously, somehow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just started act 2 and while I absolutely loved the starting part with Sylvando, in fact I love pretty much everything about Sylvando. The part directly following that definitely grossed me out and left a bad taste in my mouth.

yeah that is the low point of the game by far

everything after it is great, at least

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Rhadamanthus posted:

It's a gourmet pizza roll

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's a calzone, freshly baked by your Italian grandmother.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah this. DQ games are great like that. 11 is probably the best one ever although my heart still belongs to 8.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished up Erik's personal quest in Act 2. That was loving great. I love this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah this. DQ games are great like that. 11 is probably the best one ever although my heart still belongs to 8.

Thought you were the same person for a second.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's been often described as comfort food for the JRPG fan so, yes. It's pretty much dead-on.
DQXI is a game that feels like it was made in 1996 and 2018 simultaneously, somehow.

I haven’t been a JRPG fan in a long time, but I’m really enjoying this game. It doesn’t try to do anything particularly new or unique at all, in fact, except for very slightly with Sylvando, it feels like it sets out to avoid doing anything that hasn’t been done before. But each individual (extremely generic) aspect of the game is so masterfully executed that the whole thing hangs together remarkably well. It’s not just a salty, gooey pizza roll, it’s also the glass of cool, clear water that comes with it and washes things down.

Hendrick finally smiled at me and I, the player, smiled right back.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 20, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been making every recipe as I find them. Even if I don't have the mats. I just spend the gold to buy what is missing. So far I haven't seen an item that was more than a small upgrade over what I am making. Am I screwing up by wasting gold when I could just farm the items? It seems that farming gold is easier, though slower for the pricier stuff.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I haven’t been a JRPG fan in a long time, but I’m really enjoying this game. It doesn’t try to do anything particularly new or unique at all, in fact, except for very slightly with Sylvando, it feels like it sets out to avoid doing anything that hasn’t been done before. But each individual (extremely generic) aspect of the game is so masterfully executed that the whole thing hangs together remarkably well. It’s not just a salty, gooey pizza roll, it’s also the glass of cool, clear water that comes with it and washes things down.

Hendrick finally smiled at me and I, the player, smiled right back.

To be honest, having an RPG game that is this "traditional" in almost everything it does is kind of a breath of fresh air these days, like it's so old it's new.
I've said it earlier in the thread, but sometimes you just want a game where the Knight slays the Dragon to save the Princess, y'know?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For as much as current DQs feel like classic throwbacks, it's worth mentioning that their story and gameplay beats have historically been fairly groundbreaking and emblematic in a number of ways.

DQ4 had what I'm pretty sure was the first transforming final boss in a console RPG. You chopped its arms off and it lost its punch attacks and just did breath weapons until eventually growing a new, bigger pair of arms as you did more damage. You chopped its legs off and it grew bigger ones. You chopped its head off and it did a whole animated evolution sequence of growing a new head and forming a secondary face in its torso. For an NES game that was metal as hell.

DQ5 set you up to think you were the hero, but then when you get the cool hero sword, you can't even equip it. But if you try to have your later son equip it, it works! They don't spell this out in game (IIRC). It's a plot twist told purely through gameplay mechanics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hokuto posted:

DQ5 set you up to think you were the hero, but then when you get the cool hero sword, you can't even equip it. But if you try to have your later son equip it, it works! They don't spell this out in game (IIRC). It's a plot twist told purely through gameplay mechanics.

It's stated outright when you're broken out of the stone curse. IIRC your son tells you he was able to wear one of the pieces of Zenithian equipment (helm, I think). At least it was in the SFC version, maybe the DS/mobile remakes removed that though.

I think the Zoma reveal in DQ3 was the first RPG to do a "surprise, there's a bigger bad behind the curtain." PC RPGs were pretty straightforward in who their big bads were and the closest thing I can think of is Chaos in FF1, and that's not so much a "mastermind behind everything" as a "this is why you don't try to do time travel as an 11th hour plot device." Plus you already met the final boss right after starting the game.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been making every recipe as I find them. Even if I don't have the mats. I just spend the gold to buy what is missing. So far I haven't seen an item that was more than a small upgrade over what I am making. Am I screwing up by wasting gold when I could just farm the items? It seems that farming gold is easier, though slower for the pricier stuff.

Eventually you'll be able to farm gold very easily so don't worry about it too much. Everything respawns so you can eventually get the materials again. Keep in mind that you can't buy every material. Some materials cannot be bought and must be found.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's stated outright when you're broken out of the stone curse. IIRC your son tells you he was able to wear one of the pieces of Zenithian equipment (helm, I think). At least it was in the SFC version, maybe the DS/mobile remakes removed that though.

I think the Zoma reveal in DQ3 was the first RPG to do a "surprise, there's a bigger bad behind the curtain." PC RPGs were pretty straightforward in who their big bads were and the closest thing I can think of is Chaos in FF1, and that's not so much a "mastermind behind everything" as a "this is why you don't try to do time travel as an 11th hour plot device." Plus you already met the final boss right after starting the game.

Thanks for the correction, it's been ages for me.

Chaos in FF1 was a good twist at the time too, actually. "Hey remember me, the first boss? HEH JOKE'S ON YOU."

But the Alefgard twist in DQ3 was also huge at the time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hokuto posted:

For as much as current DQs feel like classic throwbacks, it's worth mentioning that their story and gameplay beats have historically been fairly groundbreaking and emblematic in a number of ways.

DQ4 had what I'm pretty sure was the first transforming final boss in a console RPG. You chopped its arms off and it lost its punch attacks and just did breath weapons until eventually growing a new, bigger pair of arms as you did more damage. You chopped its legs off and it grew bigger ones. You chopped its head off and it did a whole animated evolution sequence of growing a new head and forming a secondary face in its torso. For an NES game that was metal as hell.

The absolute flood of DLC for DQIX was ahead of the curve. I can't think of many games of that period that had that.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 21, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got Serena back! Only one to go and I've got the band back toget-:negative:

On the plus side, I have a sky whale now :shobon:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 22, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I did NOT see that twist coming. 37 hours in and said done for the day. We'll see how things shake out tomorrow. Get it, tree fall = shake. Oh ho ho ho.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've reached a point where I'm supposedly assailing the final fortress for the final confrontation with the final bad guy but you're not gonna fool me again, game!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerusalem posted:

I've reached a point where I'm supposedly assailing the final fortress for the final confrontation with the final bad guy but you're not gonna fool me again, game!
I can honestly tell you that there are no bad guys left!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I defeated Mordegon, then went back in time and defeated him again and saved Veronica and all is good and great and I'm so happWHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING THAT JUST COMBINED OUTSIDE GALLOPOLIS!?! :stonk:

This game is so loving good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Told you there weren't any bad guys left!

I do have some complaints about how they handled time travel but it's good enough for the plot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are act 2 sidequests still doable in act 3 or should i go ahead and try to do them all now?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can do all of them in act 3 but drat that would probably be really tedious

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's generally best to do them in the same act that you unlock them, though not strictly necessary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Once I got through the awful Sylvando section I've been really enjoying this second part of the game. Except I am very sick of being put on rails from location to location. I'd like to be able to wander around a bit or at least choose my path. I'm about to Octagonia.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What? That Sylvando section rules

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What? That Sylvando section rules

My son has been playing it and he was asking me how long it was going to take and I sat there and had to think and was like "I don't remember that!" since I played it on PC. I think those sections kind of break up the flow of the game in a negative way but I also like them at the same time. I wish instead of playing them between acts you got to play them out after you reclaim that character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't like Sylvando all that much when he first showed up but he quickly legit became my favorite character.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't like the Sylvando section for two main reason. The first is that it took me out of the game completely. It is on rails and I felt like an observer and not an active participant. The second is I find the flaming homosexual stereotype to be overdone. I like how Mass Effect 3 handled a gay character. He was just a normal person, like most gay folks.

I can see how some people would like it. It just wasn't for me and I couldn't wait for it to end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sylvando is the only person who joins the party because it is the right thing to do. everyone else felt obligated. he's a super campy gay man who also lowkey lives by the code of knighthood, and that's rad.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The best thing about Sylvando is that even if he's gay (they never say) he's not that annoying stereotypical gay man who says nothing but catty flirtatious stuff and is always hitting on everyone. He calls everyone Darling regardless of gender and most of his dialogue is expressing how much he genuinely cares for other people and how he wants a better world for everyone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My wife was like "Why is his assistant a gimp?" And I was like "Oh no that's not what you think. In dragon quest every tradesman is a gimp"

Edit: to be clear this had nothing to do with gayness. A gimp can be any gender or sexuality

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2020

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Please stop posting bizarre things about gay people, thank you.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Waltzing Along posted:

I like how Mass Effect 3 handled a gay character. He was just a normal person, like most gay folks.

See, that's what I said, but no, the most common complaint I hear about gay representation is "They just said he was gay and that's it? If he could be straight and it wouldn't have any effect on his character or plot, then it's not representation!"

Sylvando is campy, but whether he's gay or not ultimately makes no difference - he never (despite what you may have heard in this thread) stops and goes "Okay, time to go suck dicks, because I'm so gay!" He's just out-there and, like Elephant Ambush said, is completely positive-energy. He's always friendly and his entire life is laser-focused around two things, honor and happiness. The worst he ever gets up to is being a bit troll-y to the Prince of Gallopolis, but that's moderate chiding to try and make the Prince uphold the honor he already swore to. That's what makes Sylvando great, he's effusive to the extreme, but never saccharine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

My wife was like "Why is his assistant a gimp?" And I was like "Oh no that's not what you think. In dragon quest every tradesman is a gimp"

Edit: to be clear this had nothing to do with gayness. A gimp can be any gender or sexuality
Yeah, establishing that as a series tradition made it as minimally weird as possible that his assistant was a shirtless gimp-masked burly man. It was a good choice. Dave owns.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I for one enjoyed my time with Sylvando and his bara boyfreind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, establishing that as a series tradition made it as minimally weird as possible that his assistant was a shirtless gimp-masked burly man. It was a good choice. Dave owns.

Why is this a series tradition by the way. Is there something culturally about craftsmen that Akira Toriyama would say "All craftsman are burly as gently caress and wear leather masks btw"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You should've just gone to Any Town and showed them that they reuse NPCs a lot.