Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

cheetah7071 posted:

If you wanna hit my heartstrings seph's gonna have to kill red

That would unironically have made me sadder than Aeris's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should change the Golden Saucer date so you could get any of your party members.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Biggs makes no sense. Wedge just thinks he was gonna die while getting carried by ghosts.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Rhonne posted:

They should change the Golden Saucer date so you could get any of your party members.

Isn't Red the only party member you can have at that point that couldn't?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rhonne posted:

If you romance Wedge, he gives you one of his cats.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

UltraRed posted:

Go alone but bring all of his cats.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UltraRed posted:

He would never give you one of his cats

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do you guys think Red will be playable in the next game? I think they kept him NPC just because you didn't have much time for inventory before the tower.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

He would never give you one of his cats

He would, I suck a mean dick.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ohtsam posted:

Isn't Red the only party member you can have at that point that couldn't?

You have all nine party members by that point. Vincent, Cid, Red, and Cait are undatable

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

UltraRed posted:

Do you guys think Red will be playable in the next game? I think they kept him NPC just because you didn't have much time for inventory before the tower.

It's pretty obvious they just didn't put him in your party because they didn't want to spend the dev time making a fully functional playable character who you only have for two chapters. In the original he joins as soon as you meet him. He'll be playable from the start of the next one, probably

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UltraRed posted:

He would, I suck a mean dick.

Sucking a dick well doesn't mean that you are fit to take care of a cat!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Sucking a dick well doesn't mean that you are fit to take care of a cat!

...really? poo poo, I've been totally doing this wrong

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It was always odd to me that he never actually grappled with the truth in any way - I guess it doesn't really matter to him anymore after he decided to be a god and his incorrect assumptions were only the catalyst for that, but it would be interesting to see if finding out that he was mostly human after all had any impact at all.

I feel like that's part of the point. He may have been a legendary war hero, but part of that means no one corrects him or pushes back, even when he's acting normal. Both him and Cloud had this "I'm so much better than you" kind of isolation as kids, but Sephiroth was a little spoiled about it. I'm not sure he would be able to relate to normal people even when he's stable. ("How does it feel to be back here? I don't have a hometown, so I wouldn't know.") And people idolize him so they can't relate to him either. He has been told that he was a special big boy child from day one, then of course after an existential crisis he's like, "I see, clearly I am an Ancient/an alien/etc". Are you gonna tell this guy that he's wrong? He can't be wrong, he's Sephiroth, the hero! He's entitled to this special destiny from his birth, like a hero is!

And it looks like he's doing the same thing here in the remake, making these assumptions about Cloud but taking a different angle this time. He'll still miss something, but it'll be interesting to see how he tries to "fix" things this time.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
everyone getting thirsty over Jessie while I'm over here crushing on Wedge. He's so pure! He loves his cats so much!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UltraRed posted:

You're right, he's only a guest character just because of how late he joins, which is something Square talked about before the game released. He'll 100% be playable in the next part, no question about it.

Apparently he already sort of works if you use a save editor to hack him into your party. He's not fully developed, obviously, but they designed him for the AI to play him as if he was a regular party member, so if you hack him in you can run around and attack with him and stuff. No triangle move or anything, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsuolxcp07Q

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You have all nine party members by that point. Vincent, Cid, Red, and Cait are undatable

The Vincent date would be the broodiest thing ever.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

exquisite tea posted:

In the industry that's what's known as a shipkebab.

:vince:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They need to add a Red XIII "date" that is just Cloud walking his lab rat dog lion pal and having a chill time

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I want to see Red XIII playing the princess in the play.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

Cloud with Gotterdammerung, Magnify + [chapter-relevant elemental magic materia], and MP Absorb + [same elemental magic materia] is just wrecking most of Hard Mode for me.

You can double link materia that way?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparently Nomura's original idea at the end was just to have a subtle change that would clue the player in that things might not be going where they expect, and then the rest of the staff was like, "Yeah but what if we add more crazy scenes to the ending?" and that's how FF7R's ending came to be:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255566858855411712?s=20

Nojima apparently had two or three more ending scenes that he wrote that ended up not making it into the finished game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you've got two of the same magic materia, sure - just like in the original FF7, you could get multiple effects out of say Fire by linking a Fire materia to a support materia and then another Fire materia to another support materia in a separate link.

Harrow posted:

Apparently Nomura's original idea at the end was just to have a subtle change that would clue the player in that things might not be going where they expect, and then the rest of the staff was like, "Yeah but what if we add more crazy scenes to the ending?" and that's how FF7R's ending came to be

Nomura as the voice of restraint in a Squeenix storyline endeavor? :psypop:

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 29, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So here's a new theory! It seems like Sephiroth/Jenova have future-sight, which somewhat gets communicated to Cloud through his mental fits. Aerith also clearly has some idea of what happens in the future, leading her to encourage the party to overcome the will of the planet.

But what if.... it was Sephiroth who gave Aerith the info about the future? Maybe he knew he could never convince Cloud to fight off the Whispers, so he needed someone who could. Remember that scene where Cloud was talking to Aerith, saying:
Cloud: "Have you ever heard of Sephiroth?"
Aerith: "The war hero? The news reports say he died."
Cloud: "Maybe. But I have a feeling he's still alive."
Dramatic zoom in on Aerith's mouth
Aerith: "Oh... right... Anyway, let's go!"

I wonder if they made such a big deal out of that, not just because Aerith had independent future knowledge, but because she specifically had already interacted with Sephiroth. All the other hints she gives about knowing things she shouldn't just come across in dialog or mannerisms, and aren't accompanied by dramatic, ominous camera work.

Just a hypothesis.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People still struggling to understand that Nomura has helmed a wide range of games and that the series he has been clowned for is also the one that faced hyper-extensive kafkaesque restrictions from Disney

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Apparently Nomura's original idea at the end was just to have a subtle change that would clue the player in that things might not be going where they expect, and then the rest of the staff was like, "Yeah but what if we add more crazy scenes to the ending?" and that's how FF7R's ending came to be:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255566858855411712?s=20

Nojima apparently had two or three more ending scenes that he wrote that ended up not making it into the finished game.

Welp. It's confirmed Cloud is a 16 year old in a 21 year old body.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That explains a lot, to be honest.

Hella good VO performance really backs up that claim too.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 29, 2020

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People still struggling to understand that Nomura has helmed a wide range of games and that the series he has been clowned for is also the one that faced hyper-extensive kafkaesque restrictions from Disney

It's extra weird that people are calling the ending to this "kingdom hearts bullshit" when fighting a personified version of the og plot is pretty straightforward and a cool meta thing? And kingdom hearts nonsense is usually just hearts being a macguffin for everything and putting in scenes that won't have any explanation until the sequel when they decide what they wanted it to mean :v: it feels like it's the same as people dismissing things because it's "too anime"

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The final boss fight itself with how the cutscenes are directed and the towers of ghost monsters is VERY Kingdom Hearts, though. While the plot isn't necessarily "Kingdom Hearts :argh: " the final battle until you fight Sephiroth sure is

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

If you wanna hit my heartstrings seph's gonna have to kill red

he's gonna drop in and murder bugenhagen right before he woulda died of old age anyway

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is a reverse Kojima where instead of the rest of the staff talking him down from his really wacky ideas, they were the ones to add in crazy poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

yeah. Used to be able to "breed" material in the original, this time you'll just have to buy another. In the original, you received a new one when you maxed one out. Made a fortune selling ALL materia for fake 1 player game monies. Thankfully, elemental materia are cheap, and quickly level up to stage 2, which is good enough for everything except bosses.

So... any release window on this game's sequel?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UltraRed posted:

So... any release window on this game's sequel?

Nope. No comment yet on how many parts to expect, either.

According to that translated Ultimania interview, they appear to still be deciding whether to adapt small portions of the game at a time and release games more frequently, or take a longer time to develop each one and release fewer, but larger, parts. Nomura seems to favor releasing games quickly, but who knows if there's any nuance missed in the translation, or what his co-director, producer, and staff would rather do.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Harrow posted:

Nope. No comment yet on how many parts to expect, either.

According to that translated Ultimania interview, they appear to still be deciding whether to adapt small portions of the game at a time and release games more frequently, or take a longer time to develop each one and release fewer, but larger, parts. Nomura seems to favor releasing games quickly, but who knows if there's any nuance missed in the translation, or what his co-director, producer, and staff would rather do.

My hope for future games is a few things. First I hope they continue the trend of turning super weird enemies into boss fights like the did with Hellhouse and the flying robot... thing. The triceratops is already a boss if I remember right, but I want to see like, the chandelier fabio be a boss fight in the Shinra mansion, or like the ghost skeleton pirate ship in the underwater reactor. Second, I hope they continue to do justice to MOST of the iconic moments or make iconic places look great. Aeris' house looked insane (though the area around it looking like dogshit probably helped that), I can't wait to see places like the big seashells in the Forgotten City or the galaxy hologram in Cosmo Canyon. When they got those things right in this one, they REALLY got it right. Likewise, a lot of the scenes were really cool to see all upgraded (though a few changes did still bug me, like the change to Red XIII's introduction or not being able to give the flower to Marlene). And 3, don't do more awful overly long puzzle or whatever sequences. Things like Tifa's segment in the Shinra building was terrible, the Hojo part in Shinra HQ was SO long and awful, The sewer chase that went on WAY TOO LONG was awful. Like if anything I want them to go the opposite and make some of the more tedious dungeons, like the Cosmo Canyon one or the ice dungeon up north to be shorter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Track was a bop though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_WvnWg5uqE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oh that reminds me: I didn't like all the remade music. I'm like, half and half. Some of it was incredible, the bombing mission especially was so so good. Aeris' theme is amazing. The little bit of Coral they played for Barret was awesome. However I didn't like things like the boss music, which loses a lot by not having a guitar sound, the Hurry! music, which loses a lot by not having the ticking clock sounds as a beat, and I especially didn't like the Wall Market music. To be more clear, the Wall Market song is fantastic, but I wish it wasn't specifically for Wall Market or was for a different part of Wall Market. The new one, while a good song on its own, I think really takes away from the tone of the place that the original had.

Also sort of related to the above, I thought the way they changed the elevator fight so that it could like... work was very clever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would accept the entire game in this style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSuOc_7MchU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

And 3, don't do more awful overly long puzzle or whatever sequences. Things like Tifa's segment in the Shinra building was terrible, the Hojo part in Shinra HQ was SO long and awful, The sewer chase that went on WAY TOO LONG was awful. Like if anything I want them to go the opposite and make some of the more tedious dungeons, like the Cosmo Canyon one or the ice dungeon up north to be shorter.

Yeah, a lot of those overly long puzzle or traversal sections are definitely there to make you spend more game time in those specific areas and let them get more use out of those assets. I definitely felt like most of the dungeon or traversal segments went on for like one "phase" too long--like they'd introduce the gimmick, play with it a bit, and then you'd feel like the dungeon should be done by now but it goes on for just one or two more sections than it should.

There's a possibility that if they have a more open structure for the next game(s), they won't have to make you spend as much time traversing sections in dungeons or between dungeons, just because there'll be more physical space to make you traverse. Some people might like that less, but if nothing else it would be true to the original, which has a decent amount of time spent trekking over fields.

There's also the possibility of doing something more like FFXII, with relatively open environments that are still constructed as levels to go through in a linear fashion between destinations (like FFX, but with larger, more open environments instead of mostly being linear roads) instead of a fully open overworld, which might be a decent way to split the difference.

Either way, unless they try to split the story into like six full-sized games, I think there'll be less call for that sort of padding going forward. But we'll see!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I didn't really like what they did with the motorcycle music, it felt a bit too subdued to me, although with every other track being absolutely balls to the wall I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Sometimes subdued is nice.

The atmosphere of the end is very different in general, but I suppose that's unavoidable. In the original you had a fairly deep character moment in the jail cells, then some weird and creepy poo poo when Seph breaks in, then some frantic back-to-back boss battles as everybody splits up and tries to escape, then you had an exciting highway escape section showing off the (implied) vastness of the plate's surface, then you reach the edge and escape, then you get hit with the main theme and the overworld for the first time and the entire game opens up. It's a really intense rollercoaster ride and it's one of the best parts of the original.

In the remake you've got ... The Drum. And then poo poo just goes more and more off the rails into a spiralling fever dream of insanity. I won't say it's terrible exactly because the whole fever-dream craziness of it all does, in its own way, leave a similar impact to the original Trail of Blood sequence, but it's still perhaps not quite as good as the corresponding part in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the "7 seconds until the end" is totally about Aerith's death right? 7 seconds for Cloud to react and possibly stop it?

Schwartzcough posted:

So here's a new theory! It seems like Sephiroth/Jenova have future-sight, which somewhat gets communicated to Cloud through his mental fits. Aerith also clearly has some idea of what happens in the future, leading her to encourage the party to overcome the will of the planet.

But what if.... it was Sephiroth who gave Aerith the info about the future? Maybe he knew he could never convince Cloud to fight off the Whispers, so he needed someone who could. Remember that scene where Cloud was talking to Aerith, saying:
Cloud: "Have you ever heard of Sephiroth?"
Aerith: "The war hero? The news reports say he died."
Cloud: "Maybe. But I have a feeling he's still alive."
Dramatic zoom in on Aerith's mouth
Aerith: "Oh... right... Anyway, let's go!"

I wonder if they made such a big deal out of that, not just because Aerith had independent future knowledge, but because she specifically had already interacted with Sephiroth. All the other hints she gives about knowing things she shouldn't just come across in dialog or mannerisms, and aren't accompanied by dramatic, ominous camera work.

Just a hypothesis.

I thought that was just because she has visions of the future, if not the whole thing.