Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Next time I'm going to put the loaf in the cold pot in the oven for the preheat and start the timer when it's up to temp. I'll put a tray on the lower rack, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Most people dramatically under-bake their loaves and fear any amount of char on things. Get yourself a probe thermometer. My loaves get waaaay darker brown than that and are only at like 202F internally, which is under what some bakers shoot for (208F, for instance).

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I think my last one was around 210° internally but the bottom wasn't good to eat in the middle. I like a good crust and love a little char on my pizza dough but this one was hard.

e: I'm cooking at 450° maybe I'll try lower heat for longer, or hotter for a shorter time

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

large hands posted:

Next time I'm going to put the loaf in the cold pot in the oven for the preheat and start the timer when it's up to temp. I'll put a tray on the lower rack, too.
No, seriously. Don't preheat. Put it in the cold oven, set oven to 450, bake. Best crusts I have ever gotten, and lovely oven spring.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, seriously. Don't preheat. Put it in the cold oven, set oven to 450, bake. Best crusts I have ever gotten, and lovely oven spring.

That's what I'm saying I'm going to try. By"preheat" I mean the pot will be in the oven cold with the loaf in it while it comes up to temp.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

large hands posted:

I think my last one was around 210° internally but the bottom wasn't good to eat in the middle. I like a good crust and love a little char on my pizza dough but this one was hard.

e: I'm cooking at 450° maybe I'll try lower heat for longer, or hotter for a shorter time

I have had consistently good crust results at 500F in my covered dutch oven for 20 minutes, removing the top, dropping to 450, then baking for about 22 more minutes. Internal temps at 202F reliably. I use parchment under the boule which protects the bottom a bit.

A concern I have with the cold pot is my dough relaxing too much in the cold oven, but I'll give it a shot soon. I have some proofing issues to iron out before I add more variables.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clay works well cold (but I still do mine hot)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A while back I got a big rectangular clay baker from the King Arthur store and I tried the cold baking thing. It worked relatively well, but the crust was always way too thick. The same would happen when I would put it in a pre-heated oven too. I was baking about 425 for either approach. What kind of crust texture would you get with your cold-baked loaves? I got one that I’d describe as “crunchy”, and there’d be at least a millimeter of coloration going into the loaf.

It may be that I just prefer a softer crust, I’ve just been lazily shaping some long loaves and baking in an oven with a steam pan on my aluminum sheet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eeyo posted:

A while back I got a big rectangular clay baker from the King Arthur store and I tried the cold baking thing. It worked relatively well, but the crust was always way too thick. The same would happen when I would put it in a pre-heated oven too. I was baking about 425 for either approach. What kind of crust texture would you get with your cold-baked loaves? I got one that I’d describe as “crunchy”, and there’d be at least a millimeter of coloration going into the loaf.
Huh. Mine has been closer to a sheet of paper than a sheet of cardboard, the kind that's at the back of a tablet. (sorry, head cannot metric today) I'll take pictures when my next loaf is sliced. I am used to the Bay Area "artisan-style" loaf that does have a crunchy crust, though; crunchy but not dry. Did you soak the top of the baker in water? I do that, and it's been good. (I soak by filling it 2/3 way with water a half an hour or so before baking.)

Liberation! I had two quarts of sourdough starter going which is TOO MUCH and causes way too much discard. I was working from Crust and Crumb, which assumes you want to make four loaves at a time. I do not want to make four loaves at a time. So now my starter lives in a tidy little pickle jar, leading to a very manageable cup of discard a day, and can be temporarily sized up if I ever really do need two cups of fed starter in a day

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ll try the cold bake method this week. Planning on the following:
A - set oven to 475, put cold Dutch oven and dough in there to hang out. Set timer for 20 mins once oven hits temp.
B - after 20 mins, take lid off Dutch oven and drop to 450. Bake for another ~25 mins depending on how the bread looks.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

large hands posted:

I'm pretty sure pre-heating the dutch oven to maximize initial heat/steam is an important step of the process for optimal spring and crust development (if you're going for an "artisan" style crust). Something like a tray on the lower rack should be enough to prevent the bottom from burning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I've figured things out with my sourdough starter, the smell is like acetone, which I gather means it fine but underfed? I've done a bigger discard and gone 50g each of mature starter, flour and water. Hopefully will be ready to make a loaf at the weekend.

Edit: I don't think we have exactly a dutch oven but we do have some heavy Le Creuset lidded dishes that look much the same. Would it be better to use one of those or do it on a baking sheet with a tray of ice cubes underneath?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How fast do your ovens get to temp? Mine is a hunk of poo poo and if I have the dutch oven in there with dough I would be shocked if it was hot in less than 45 minutes. Technique seems interesting but I just don't see how it would work with lovely ovens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My heavy-lidded Le Creuset is what I call a dutch oven? If the proportions are roughly what you'd use for a stew, it's a dutch oven.

Hey, Cyrano, I'm following the recipe you recommended, and it made a very sticky dough that I kneaded a lot of flour into before I could shape it into a ball. I went in for the third set of folds and it had slumped down into a puddle in the bottom of the bowl. It doesn't stay stuck to my hands, but it's still very sticky and doesn't much want to hold a shape. Is it like that, or should I add in flour until it has more structure?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah it’s sticky AF. It’s gonna slump and not just be a ball of dough. I damp my hands when doing the folds so it doesn’t stick everywhere.

I thought the one in the pics I posted earlier was going to be a sad pancake but it got crazy lift in the oven.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Discard pancake courtesy of this guy who feeds his starter every day: https://youtu.be/vVx2oFFptG0

Anyway, looks like I may be having these at least once a week. It’s prettay…prettay…prettay good.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

turns out, if you forget to put salt in dough it will behave weird and confusingly while you work it, and if you don't remember you forgot to add the salt until you bite the first slice of the loaf the disappointment will instantly age you 1000 years

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, unsalted bread is foul beyond words.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It also proofs totally different because the salt slows it down. And yeah it's awful.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

it's edible with some butter/oil and salt on top but that's about all i can say for it :smith:

does anyone have a good :science: explanation of what salt does to the dough's structure? as i was working it i noticed it blew up enormously during the first rise, like triple to quadruple in size, and then felt way too soft as i was trying to move it to my "banneton" (colander)/the oven.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone here have one of the Bosch mixers with the center post? I just got the nutrimill artiste (which is the same design) and tried it for the first time and my dough just wrapped around the center post and stayed there basically.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Chard posted:

does anyone have a good :science: explanation of what salt does to the dough's structure? as i was working it i noticed it blew up enormously during the first rise, like triple to quadruple in size, and then felt way too soft as i was trying to move it to my "banneton" (colander)/the oven.
I have this extremely left-brain book about Neapolitan pizza and lo, it rambles about salt:

quote:

Table salt (sodium chloride) used in dough must contain small quantities of calcium and magnesium salts and its solution should be clear with no insoluable deposits (figure 16).

Sodium chloride is generally added to the dough in amounts varying between 1.7% to 2% total dough weight, and is an important ingredient due to the many functions it performs, as well as ability to increase sensory characteristics. Sodium chloride acts on gluten composition, making the dough more compact and workable (less sticky), as gliadin (a flour protein) is less soluble in salt water and more inclined to gluten network formation. During the leavening phase, the speed of second fermentation and the development of gas decrease, contributing to the alveolar structure of the finished product. It should be dosed with caution, due to its pH leaning towards alkalinity and therefore contrasting the fermentation activity of the yeast. From a practical point of view, it is essential to correctly dose the salt that must be added to the dough, as well as dissolve it completely in water before adding the other ingredients during the mixing phase.

Moreover, salt increases the crunchiness and browning of the crust and despite not being particularly relevant for pizza, it aids the preservability of products.

The whole book is pretty much like that, by the way. Also, this isn't the pizza thread, but I have to still go off that I'm stuck around 1% salt to flour weight, not dough weight. I did 3% once like all the hipsters and oh my loving God why. So I take that salt recommendation... with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, the stuff about gluten is interesting and we all learned something today!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sup. UK goons - flour mills have finally got it together and yeast/baking powder/all kinds of flour are now being bulk sold at an ok price via amazon £17 for 16kg delivered and you can pay £1 for a two day delivery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087388HVL

Question while I’m here, when doing plats what flour to liquid ratio do you all use?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

learnincurve posted:

Sup. UK goons - flour mills have finally got it together and yeast/baking powder/all kinds of flour are now being bulk sold at an ok price via amazon £17 for 16kg delivered and you can pay £1 for a two day delivery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087388HVL

Maaaaate.. perfect timing - thanks for the heads up. Supermarkets have always been stripped clear of flour everytime I shop.

Down to my last 2 kilos recently, hate having to pick and choose what to bake, that's gonna change now!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 30, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I put a little too much water into my starter, like 2-3g, and there's a little liquid on top now. Can I just ignore that until the evening feed?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone here have one of the Bosch mixers with the center post? I just got the nutrimill artiste (which is the same design) and tried it for the first time and my dough just wrapped around the center post and stayed there basically.

I have one it'll do that need the end of mixing when the doughs developed enough that's usually when I tell its done mixing when it starts climbing the center post.

Your dough might need a higher hydration level what recipe are you using for it?

One of my local bakeries is selling flour, yeast, and sugar to the public in 5# increments if your having trouble getting flour find a local bakery and ask them if they can sell you some.

I also picked up some hard red winter wheat berries while I was at the hippie grocery store. I have a grain mill attachment for our champion juicer in going to give baking with freshly milled wheat a go.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 30, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a running joke in my family that my presentation absolutely sucks but here’s a thing anyway.

British iced buns, you can cut them down the middle and pipe in cream and jam to make them dead posh like.

Makes 5.

Oven 180 f/ 160f if fan
175ml milk warmed in a pan
15g butter
250g bread flour
5g fast action yeast
1tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Make as if normal white bread, (it’s meant to be wetter than usual) after first rise make them into rolls. Brush with milk before they go in the oven. Bake for 30 min and allow to cool

150g icing sugar
Food colouring
1tbsp (ish) water

Make thick icing

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Made some brötchen yesterday with a bit of sourdough starter and a recipe I have for rye brötchen, only using King Arthur AP. Turned out good! I mean kinda ugly but the inside was right - not fluffy like bread, dense enough to hold a sausage, but not hard to get your teeth through.

Crust was a tad soft. Need to figure out how to get that outer crunch without loving around with an egg wash or the like.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I have one it'll do that need the end of mixing when the doughs developed enough that's usually when I tell its done mixing when it starts climbing the center post.

Your dough might need a higher hydration level what recipe are you using for it?

One of my local bakeries is selling flour, yeast, and sugar to the public in 5# increments if your having trouble getting flour find a local bakery and ask them if they can sell you some.

I also picked up some hard red winter wheat berries while I was at the hippie grocery store. I have a grain mill attachment for our champion juicer in going to give baking with freshly milled wheat a go.

It wrapped around it from the very start. It wasn't low hydration I don't think. 300g liquid to 440g flour.

I even tried prying it out, forming into a ball, clearing the bowl out and dropping it back in. Just wrapped it right back around the post.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 30, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I put a little too much water into my starter, like 2-3g, and there's a little liquid on top now. Can I just ignore that until the evening feed?

You are fine. My old kitchen scale wasn't very good and the tolerance was like 5g either way and my starter still survived.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I’m thinking about making some soda bread, but it’s consistently my least favorite of the breads I make at home. I find it generally too bland and solid. Any suggestions on making a better soda bread? I’ve been doing it the same way for decades, and it’s just never thrilled me.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’m thinking about making some soda bread, but it’s consistently my least favorite of the breads I make at home. I find it generally too bland and solid. Any suggestions on making a better soda bread? I’ve been doing it the same way for decades, and it’s just never thrilled me.
Using buttermilk for the liquid really helps. What are you flavoring it with? My “Irish” soda bread recipe uses raisins and caraway and that makes it really nice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/feb/05/how-to-bake-perfect-soda-bread

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Most soda bread is terrible imo. This soda bread recipe isn't authentic, but it produces something you won't resent every bite of https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51728/irish-soda-bread-recipe/

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I really like the buttermilk soda bread recipe from serious eats.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Coming up one day 10 and all my starter is doing is making hooch and some bubbles. Using White Lily bleached all purpose and tap water. I did start putting raisins in yesterday.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Whole wheat is a great add for soda bread, as is oat flour. Sometimes I mill oats and sub up to a quarter or more of the flour with ground oats. Awesome flavour.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I finally got my quarantine bread routine down.

FWSY overnight white (20% whole wheat), 79% hydration, in two greased loaf pans in the morning. 350 degrees on the bottom rack until 200 internal (about 45 minutes).

It's not beautiful but drat is it useful and crazy yeast efficient (1100 g of flour and a fat 1/4 tsp of yeast).

e: Also, Forkish calls for instant yeast, and I got halfway through a jar of active dry before I even noticed. Absolutely no difference in performance to my eye.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 30, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have this extremely left-brain book about Neapolitan pizza and lo, it rambles about salt:

The whole book is pretty much like that, by the way. Also, this isn't the pizza thread, but I have to still go off that I'm stuck around 1% salt to flour weight, not dough weight. I did 3% once like all the hipsters and oh my loving God why. So I take that salt recommendation... with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, the stuff about gluten is interesting and we all learned something today!

very cool, thanks for taking the time to copy that over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rolo posted:

Coming up one day 10 and all my starter is doing is making hooch and some bubbles. Using White Lily bleached all purpose and tap water. I did start putting raisins in yesterday.

You might want to just restart and use raisins from day one. If you already have a lot of the wrong poo poo growing in there it could crowd out the raisin yeast.

I did raisins, unbleached AP, and tap water and had noticeable growth on day 2 and a usable starter on day 6.