Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have a feeling that future episodes aren’t gonna have drastic expansions in the scale of turning Hojo’s 2 screens of lab into a full dungeon, most of that stuff seemed to be there to pad out Midgar, because frankly there aren’t very good narrative stopping points after midgar until the Temple of the Ancients or Aeris’ death, which would have been a massive undertaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

UnderFreddy posted:

The final boss fight itself with how the cutscenes are directed and the towers of ghost monsters is VERY Kingdom Hearts, though. While the plot isn't necessarily "Kingdom Hearts :argh: " the final battle until you fight Sephiroth sure is

Yeah the fight itself with Cloud cutting buildings in half is very much the end boss of kh2, but that's not what I see a lot of people referring to when they're complaining about Nomura/KH stuff in the ending. It just feels like a lot of people really want to blame Nomura for the fact that they didn't like the ending

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The chapter select plot summary says that "7 seconds" refers to the vision of meteor destroying the planet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have a feeling that future episodes aren’t gonna have drastic expansions in the scale of turning Hojo’s 2 screens of lab into a full dungeon, most of that stuff seemed to be there to pad out Midgar, because frankly there aren’t very good narrative stopping points after midgar until the Temple of the Ancients or Aeris’ death, which would have been a massive undertaking.

Really, Midgar was the place that made the most sense to be that expanded. It's the most iconic location from the original game and there was a lot of room to do more to show how people actually live in such a crazy city, show what it's like at ground level, make it feel more alive. So I'm glad Midgar got a whole game to be fleshed out like that.

Nomura's comment about wanting to get the future games out "ASAP" and how that might mean releasing more games focused on small parts of the original worries me a bit, because it suggests either a switch to Telltale-style episodic releases, or that they're going to start really reaching and like trying to pad out Kalm -> Gold Saucer Trip #1 into a full-length game or something. But really that was just an offhand comment he made in an interview and he isn't the only director, or the producer, or anything like that, so it's definitely not a commitment or a guarantee that they're going to play out that way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gold Saucer is going to be a full 50 hour standalone part

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nomura also made a comment about wanting to include some of the villages and towns from Crisis Core, too, so I suppose one way to keep stretching things out is to just create little story arcs for all of these new locations that are from the Compilation and not the original game.

Not at all what I'd prefer, but, well, maybe that's what they're gonna do.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

25 hours of it is going to be a very realistic recreation of the “waiting in line” experience at theme parks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Andrast posted:

As it drat well should be

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Andrast posted:

11 chapters, a different date in every chapter

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The chapter select plot summary says that "7 seconds" refers to the vision of meteor destroying the planet

I wouldn't be surprised if it had a double-meaning, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Agreed that the motorcycle chase music at the end was way too subdued. Also I still can't believe Roche didn't show up.

The soundtrack was really good overall - I think the only other track I definitely didn't like as much as the original was Those Chosen by the Planet. It's really missing something without the tolling bells / heartbeat sounds. Oh and this game's version of Farm Boy was pretty lame too but hopefully there's a better version at the Chocobo Farm.

OWA was also pretty subdued but I figure they're probably going to be ratcheting up the intensity on that one as time goes by. The Wutai track was really cool and the small bit of the Cosmo Canyon track that played during Red's introduction sounded great too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

RatHat posted:

I thought that was just because she has visions of the future, if not the whole thing.

I mean, she knows stuff, but we're not really sure how or why. I previously just assumed that she got visions from the planet/lifestream, but that was pure speculation. Then again, I guess the Whispers were giving vision snippets to everybody at the end. Hmm.

I just kind of like the idea of Sephiroth riling Aerith up by bragging how he kills her, getting her to essentially go, "no, gently caress you and gently caress fate. We're going to make a future where we beat you without unnecessary sacrifices!"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I enjoy the violin plucking at the beginning of the first Those Chosen By the Planet but yeah, I miss the heartbeat sounds. The plucking might be hard to hear without headphones, though.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I don't know what y'all are talking about, the motorcycle music slapped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHFK2SnXyw
And this song has the sickest drop halfway through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VI1HGKRYRE&t=144s

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, she knows stuff, but we're not really sure how or why. I previously just assumed that she got visions from the planet/lifestream, but that was pure speculation. Then again, I guess the Whispers were giving vision snippets to everybody at the end. Hmm.

I just kind of like the idea of Sephiroth riling Aerith up by bragging how he kills her, getting her to essentially go, "no, gently caress you and gently caress fate. We're going to make a future where we beat you without unnecessary sacrifices!"

Aerith telling Sephiroth to get hosed is hands down the highlight of the remake.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

Sephiroth does touch Aerith's shoulder in the first scene with her where she meets Cloud, so it could be that some kind of history got imparted to her there (in the same way that Aerith touching Marlene and Red seems to affect them). It's weird though because that's part of a hallucination by Cloud, so maybe it's just symbolic. It would fit with him goading her into changing destiny though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinteres posted:

It's weird though because that's part of a hallucination by Cloud, so maybe it's just symbolic.

Or is it? :tinfoil:

Actually, I kind of want Sephiroth to have moments that mess with the player (arguably what he's been doing during the remake for old fans). Like in the Temple of the Ancient where you're watching him with Tseng and he shows up and goes into the vision but he stops and looks at the group, and it looks like he's looking at you too? It can be subtle like that. Or weird poo poo during the Nibelheim flashback when you try to unequip the Masamune.

Flopsy posted:

Aerith telling Sephiroth to get hosed is hands down the highlight of the remake.

Hell yeah.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xad posted:

Yeah the fight itself with Cloud cutting buildings in half is very much the end boss of kh2, but that's not what I see a lot of people referring to when they're complaining about Nomura/KH stuff in the ending. It just feels like a lot of people really want to blame Nomura for the fact that they didn't like the ending

The buck's gotta stop somewhere.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Flopsy posted:

On the one hand yes on the other hand

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Next time

https://twitter.com/racheljpierce/status/1255552604832219137

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Sephiroth wants to mess up the timeline why doesn't he just start murdering important people? I guess he still wants to preserve most of the original timeline because he ALMOST won? So he only wants to nudge it a little.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RatHat posted:

If Sephiroth wants to mess up the timeline why doesn't he just start murdering important people? I guess he still wants to preserve most of the original timeline because he ALMOST won? So he only wants to nudge it a little.

The way the Temple of the Ancients is set up, someone has to sacrifice themselves to pick up the black materia (which the party sidesteps by saccing Cait Sith's doll body). As Cloud points out in the original, Sephiroth has plenty of flunkies he's willing to sacrifice to accomplish that. He just doesn't realize that he's the flunky. So It seems fairly reasonable to me that Seph wouldn't want to mess with things too badly until that point at least. Cloud might legitimately be the only living person with Jenova cells who isn't a shambling wreck and can be counted on to obtain the black materia without Seph needing to inhabit a body being sacrificed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

The buck's gotta stop somewhere.

If you have full control, you can get away with that, but not only are many of the men and women working with you people who made the game originally, but one has to consider the morale of that team. Is this a collaborative creative process, or is this A Nomura Project. It's a collaborative work, it's everyone coming together. And as a creator who has led teams, you let em have some, because if you don't let them have anything they become demoralized and their work rate drops. and what, if Kitase says "I want some advent children poo poo." Do you tell the games original director, "No gently caress you, you don't get that." Pretty sure that's a fast way to make yourself an enemy of the team at large, and in the end no one will thank you for it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

he does just offhandedly shank barret in the shinra tower

it's too early to actually stick but the intent is there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

i'm sure he did that knowing full well the whispers would just rez him again

whatever he's planning it's dependent on cloud continuing to pursue him, and getting rid of his allies early just makes it less likely he'll survive whatever else gets in his way

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Based on my playthroughs of the original game, Cloud and co. would have survived just fine without Barret actually tbh imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

Based on my playthroughs of the original game, Cloud and co. would have survived just fine without Barret actually tbh imo

sure but then they run into bottomswell and everything goes to pot

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

He wanted Cloud to get the Black Materia and give it to him because he wanted to gently caress with Cloud specifically. Sure he could've had a clone do it but none of them shanked him.

Gologle posted:

Without his gunarm they never would've been thrown into prison so they never would've got the buggy so they never would've crossed the river and would still be grinding outside Corel while Sephiroth loses it up north.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah that’s true, I guess the Whispers were keeping him in check. I guess that’s the party’s job now.

So Zack has Jenova cells in him right? I wonder if that will become relevant. Though after Cloud dealt with his issues he was pretty resistant to them so maybe a fully sane person like Zack would be completely immune.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Trying to repeat the chapter's to 100% the game has reminded me of just how many slow parts the game has where you just walk at snail's pace, and how long it takes to skip a cut scene. The thing's 100% saved to disk. Was fidelity to changes in the background really necessary?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah that’s true, I guess the Whispers were keeping him in check. I guess that’s the party’s job now.

So Zack has Jenova cells in him right? I wonder if that will become relevant. Though after Cloud dealt with his issues he was pretty resistant to them so maybe a fully sane person like Zack would be completely immune.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on if Cloud stops being controlled by Sephiroth because he regains his true self, or because by that point he's already delivered the Black Materia to Sephiroth and was no longer needed. At the same time, Zack's mind is much, much more intact than Cloud's, but his guard might also be down for that kind of thing. "Sephiroth takes over Zack at a crucial moment" could be a pretty dramatic event for a future game.

UltraRed posted:

Trying to repeat the chapter's to 100% the game has reminded me of just how many slow parts the game has where you just walk at snail's pace, and how long it takes to skip a cut scene. The thing's 100% saved to disk. Was fidelity to changes in the background really necessary?

Probably. There's a difference between storage on the disk and what's loaded into memory at any given time. When something's loading, it's loading into the system's active memory from the storage disk, whether that storage disk is the hard drive/SSD or a BluRay. The size and speed of the PS4's memory likely requires those masked loading screens.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Cavelcade posted:

Without his gunarm they never would've been thrown into prison so they never would've got the buggy so they never would've crossed the river and would still be grinding outside Corel while Sephiroth loses it up north.

From my experience, Cloud would actually be losing his mind trying to score above 5000 in the Speed Coaster or trying to figure out how to consistently shoot hoops at the Super Dunk.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UltraRed posted:

Story events that aren’t technically a cutscene so you can’t skip them are the bane of replays/speed running.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The guiltiest pleasure of all would be Aerith's death scene starting to play out like it does in the original: finishing praying for holy, Sephiroth descending from the ceiling to stab her etc. but then Aerith whips the folding chair out from under her skirt parries the blow and just goes to town on him with said chair while yelling out various chair related puns like

"And here's your dessert with A CHAIRY ON TOP!" *WHAM*

No other final fantasy would be able to top it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
square enix knew full well what they were unleashing when they made aeris pick up that chair and hell, i'm glad of it

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

square enix knew full well what they were unleashing when they made aeris pick up that chair and hell, i'm glad of it

It was the ultimate power move. Of course they knew drat well what they unleashed. And don't lie to me; if we're blessed with any kind of scenario involving what I posited up there, all of us collectively would sign our souls over to Square Enix just to get a taste of that kind of high again.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

cock hero flux posted:

Oxxidation posted:

i'm sure he did that knowing full well the whispers would just rez him again

whatever he's planning it's dependent on cloud continuing to pursue him, and getting rid of his allies early just makes it less likely he'll survive whatever else gets in his way

So this was roughly around the same time in the OG where everyone sees Shinra dead with a sword in his back and clearly Sephiroth did this, so Barret asks, "Wait, is he a good guy?"

I'm saying that this time, Seph stabbed Barret before he could ask, like as a joke.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's a SOLDIER joke, normal people don't understand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"i stabbed him wrong, as a joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BaDandy posted:

So this was roughly around the same time in the OG where everyone sees Shinra dead with a sword in his back and clearly Sephiroth did this, so Barret asks, "Wait, is he a good guy?"

I'm saying that this time, Seph stabbed Barret before he could ask, like as a joke.

impalement prank(goes wrong)(MUST WATCH)