Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wondering if I could just remap the controls of the crusader games to a xbox360 controller or my Logitech F310 on D-imput and at least lake them less lovely because I've been wanting to play them for years but holy poo poo I don't want to mess with the default controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I replayed No Remorse a couple years ago and didn't have any problems with my original play style - use the mouse for aiming, RMB for walking forward, and using the Alt or Ctrl keys to switch to sidestep or roll left/right relative to the cursor in the left/right direction you move the mouse. You can aim quickly and you move much faster just rolling everywhere anyway (running introducing a delay animation that rolling does not).

Remapping would certainly help with the inventory/use keys, but I don't think movement is an issue. I realize I'm saying this as someone who's used to it, I picked it back up without a problem and had a lot of fun. Was this not a method people liked?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a way to "store" gifts? I have two friends whose birthdays come up in may and juli, the current sale has some games that I think would be a great gift, but a gift now would be disappointing.

Can I "gift" it to myself and receive a code or something?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

double nine posted:

is there a way to "store" gifts? I have two friends whose birthdays come up in may and juli, the current sale has some games that I think would be a great gift, but a gift now would be disappointing.

Can I "gift" it to myself and receive a code or something?
You can gift it to them with a time delay. You have to set the recipient on purchase but can have it be delivered on some later day.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thank you!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GOG is giving away a free game for the next 48 hrs on their website.
By now, everyone who reads this thread should know where to look..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quantumfoam posted:

GOG is giving away a free game for the next 48 hrs on their website.
By now, everyone who reads this thread should know where to look..

the game is Symmetry

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Not Jack Keane, not interested.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lemon-Lime posted:

Why would they give away something that literally every person is legally obligated to own already?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Was that that game that completely stalled that one sales event? lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

Jack Keane 2, IIRC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rinkles posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

The big "oops" factor of the limited-key sale was that once everybody that's interested buys something, you're just left with unsold stock like a retail store. And, well, have you ever seen one of those games that just sits unsold on store shelves in near perpetuity until it's pennied out?

Really? That was back in 2013?! :corsair:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big "oops" factor of the limited-key sale was that once everybody that's interested buys something, you're just left with unsold stock like a retail store. And, well, have you ever seen one of those games that just sits unsold on store shelves in near perpetuity until it's pennied out?

The limited key/insomniac sales were a lot of fun, but I'm glad they don't do them anymore, since they tended to take a slight toll on my wallet and sleep schedule when they ran. You didn't want to go to sleep in fear that you'd miss some really great deal, and it was a crapshoot if you ever got any of the free games they put up. Jack Keane 2 actually ended up being little reprieve from that. During a sale where some games would sell out of keys in a couple of minutes, I think it took around 4 hours before enough people bought up Jack Keane 2.

The funny thing is that, if I remember correctly, not too long after they just gave away 100 copies of it.

EDIT: Now I'm trying to think of instances I've been somewhere I've seen games just sit and collect dust because nobody was interested in buying it. I feel like 'game you find in a second-hand shop that nobody buys' is sort of a genre on its own.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 4, 2020

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Has anyone else had trouble running Wolfenstein: The New Order? It launches a black window for a split second and then closes immediately. I used Galaxy to install it, tried all the tips in the support tab but nothing worked. I'm still on Windows 7 if that matters, but I ran this game in 2014 on the same pc with no issue.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Max Wilco posted:

The limited key/insomniac sales were a lot of fun, but I'm glad they don't do them anymore, since they tended to take a slight toll on my wallet and sleep schedule when they ran. You didn't want to go to sleep in fear that you'd miss some really great deal, and it was a crapshoot if you ever got any of the free games they put up. Jack Keane 2 actually ended up being little reprieve from that. During a sale where some games would sell out of keys in a couple of minutes, I think it took around 4 hours before enough people bought up Jack Keane 2.
It was only 20 minutes, apparently, relive the glory: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=754
I remember it being so much longer too.

Edit: oh it was, they did a second round that was much longer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=766

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 4, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:five:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It was only 20 minutes, apparently, relive the glory: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=754
I remember it being so much longer too.

Edit: oh it was, they did a second round that was much longer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=766

The first time round most games were gone within 5 minutes. So that 20 minutes felt like forever, especially if you had been refreshing every 20 seconds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verbose posted:

Has anyone else had trouble running Wolfenstein: The New Order? It launches a black window for a split second and then closes immediately. I used Galaxy to install it, tried all the tips in the support tab but nothing worked. I'm still on Windows 7 if that matters, but I ran this game in 2014 on the same pc with no issue.

When's the last time you updated your graphics driver?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I (mis)remember people here and on reddit martyring themselves and purchasing Jack Keane 2 just to get the sale going again.

Fun times.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I also agree that "flash" sales like that suck because they perturb peoples' lives in the same way old MMO bosses spawning at 4 AM did. I did, however, like well enough the ones that had a longer cycle... Steam and also possibly GOG did ones where they would be the flash sales for 8 hours, then a new set of sales but the last set were still available, and repeat like that. That said, Having 24 hour flash sales is probably the worst that should be done.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yep, it sure was... I remember because A) I recall where I was working then and watching the Keane Kountdown from a computer while I was teaching a class and B) that was the period where I owned all but four or five games on GOG as they put out a lot less stuff, and less expensive stuff, back then.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I (mis)remember people here and on reddit martyring themselves and purchasing Jack Keane 2 just to get the sale going again.

Fun times.

No judgement here; I bought one.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When's the last time you updated your graphics driver?

There haven't been new ones since the last time I updated. Using a Radeon HD 6800

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What I miss is the sales where the more games you took, the bigger the discount, because it was factoring in the games you already owned so it made completing a collection very cheap. Now it's all static discount per title.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Did anyone here take the plunge on Between the Stars https://www.gog.com/game/between_the_stars? I´m in a starship gaming kind of mood but the early access reviews seems kind of spotty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sylphosaurus posted:

Did anyone here take the plunge on Between the Stars https://www.gog.com/game/between_the_stars? I´m in a starship gaming kind of mood but the early access reviews seems kind of spotty.

There's a demo available on Steam if you want to try it out. I have it installed on my laptop but I haven't gotten to play it yet.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Verbose posted:

There haven't been new ones since the last time I updated. Using a Radeon HD 6800

You know that card is 10 years old right?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
They said they ran it before and GOG says the minimum is a... 6850? :psyduck:

Did you try anything from here? Since it's on startup it might be something dumb like the intro movies.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wolfenstein:_The_New_Order

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sorry to gripe, but one thing that's really been annoying me with GOG as of late is their email coupon gimmick. They'll send you an email for an exclusive discount on some game ('biggest discount yet!'), but they don't actually outline what the discount is, and the catch is that once you plug in the code, you have to complete the purchase, else the code is considered 'expired'.

I got one for Firewatch the other day, and I ended up buying that because I did a search and found a discussion where they said the code marked it down to $4. Yesterday I got one for Diablo, but I couldn't find any info for the discount, so I just tried it, and it only marks it down to 25% ($7.50). For reference, Diablo is on sale for 15% off ($8.49), so the coupon really only saves you 99¢.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Sorry to gripe, but one thing that's really been annoying me with GOG as of late is their email coupon gimmick. They'll send you an email for an exclusive discount on some game ('biggest discount yet!'), but they don't actually outline what the discount is, and the catch is that once you plug in the code, you have to complete the purchase, else the code is considered 'expired'.

I got one for Firewatch the other day, and I ended up buying that because I did a search and found a discussion where they said the code marked it down to $4. Yesterday I got one for Diablo, but I couldn't find any info for the discount, so I just tried it, and it only marks it down to 25% ($7.50). For reference, Diablo is on sale for 15% off ($8.49), so the coupon really only saves you 99¢.

I don't think that's right, at least for the ones I've seen. The page says "clicking continue will render the code used" but there's two "Continue" buttons, one on the page which shows you the code and one on the checkout page which does show you the discount and its clicking the second Continue which will expire the code.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I don't think that's right, at least for the ones I've seen. The page says "clicking continue will render the code used" but there's two "Continue" buttons, one on the page which shows you the code and one on the checkout page which does show you the discount and its clicking the second Continue which will expire the code.

You're right; tried that Diablo link again (since I didn't buy it) and sure enough, the offer still popped up, and there was a second 'continue button.

Still, that's confusing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I doubt you're going to ever get better than 25% for Diablo, or Warcraft if you get one for those.

Blizzard wants their pound of flesh for 20+ year old games

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is that Doom 64 port ever going to be for sale on GOG? I just see it on Steam.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nullsmack posted:

Is that Doom 64 port ever going to be for sale on GOG? I just see it on Steam.

Probably not, or at least not before like a year and a half, like for the Strife remaster.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It'll happen at some point, as Bethesda's remembered that GOG exists and just popped The Evil Within 1 and 2 up on there at a heavy discount.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I remember hearing good things about 2. Any point in getting 1?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Kins posted:

It'll happen at some point, as Bethesda's remembered that GOG exists and just popped The Evil Within 1 and 2 up on there at a heavy discount.

they're doing some bull with the series' sale - each dlc for EW1 is available separately, as well as in a bundle with the base game, AND in a season pass without the base game.

don't triple-buy the same stuff.

genericnick posted:

I remember hearing good things about 2. Any point in getting 1?

I also would like to know

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I had zero fun with EW1 and I would say skip it. Clunky stealth, tiresome upgrade mechanics, a decent amount of variety but completely lacking coherence (which is only explained when you finish the game).

It's a stealth game where you'll often wrestle with the fact that the 'CINEMATIC' aspect ratio is making it difficult to perceive the threats.

EW2 is straight up a better experience.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I had zero fun with EW1 and I would say skip it. Clunky stealth, tiresome upgrade mechanics, a decent amount of variety but completely lacking coherence (which is only explained when you finish the game).

It's a stealth game where you'll often wrestle with the fact that the 'CINEMATIC' aspect ratio is making it difficult to perceive the threats.

EW2 is straight up a better experience.

They patched the aspect ratio thing so it's a toggle now. Also you absolutely shouldn't be playing it as a stealth game past chapter 3 so I'm not surprised you hated it if you kept trying.

Having said that, 2 is the better game but I'd argue 1 is the more interesting experience, some of the setpieces in 1 are really memorable while 2's environments are much less interesting. But 1 also has a lot of clunkiness and instant death traps which 2 also dials back.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I see Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided have both been added, with launch discounts of 85%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dungeon Siege games too (I liked DS3 :colbert:)