Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Zombie Guy posted:

Alien: Isolation is the scariest game that I've played. As was previously mentioned, you're basically helpless against this relentless murder machine. In Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc, you at least have a fighting chance against the monsters.

That's funny, I was thinking about this today actually.

Dead Space creeped me the gently caress out and kept me on the edge of my seat most of the time. The game does a great job of building a tense, creepy atmosphere, the sound design is great, and I enjoyed playing it, but man was it stressful.

And in that game, you are walking around in a suit of armor, you have various powerful weapons, and you can perform various upgrades to yourself to help fight off the creatures. There is a feeling that yeah, you're in a real bad situation, but you can do make it out alive if you try.

In Alien: Isolation, you have the clothes on your back and whatever other gear you can manage to scavenge around you, and there's a giant murder machine prowling the ship that will kill the poo poo out of you if you sneeze. I never made it very far, because gently caress that poo poo, I can't do it. That game does such a terrific job of building atmosphere and making you feel entirely alone and absolutely hosed that I found myself whipping the camera around watching every passageway around me when I'd make any kind of movements.

The fact that bastard is hunting me the entire time and is smart is just something else.

I deeply appreciate and respect the game, and even the brief period of time I played it makes me rank it among the best stuff I've ever played, but I need to overcome my cowardice before I give it another shot. :sweatdrop:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will never forget my first attempt at Medical. I had so many bad experiences I took to cowering in lockers. I just had so much trouble forcing myself to get out of there and move to the next goal.

Many times I would step out of the locker, take a few steps, then "NOPE" out, turn around, and dart right back inside. Sit in there, listening and peering out the slits saying "Welp, I guess this locker is my life now."

Of course, you know what eventually starts happening if you spend too much times in the lockers...

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I don't finish many games but I was actually a little sad when I reached the end of Alien Isolation. The sequel lacks that immersion because it's on my phone, but it's still kind of fun.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

BR is also in the Alien universe so not a stretch.

I had the idea of a bait-and-switch scenario where the player group responds to a colony that has gone dark. They arrive to find the colony falling apart, practically under siege from unseen forces.

The players encounter these insurgents that are extremely capable and also look extremely similar, like twins.

Turns out the planet houses an old military-grade replicant production facility owned by a company called Wallace Corporation, long defunct, that the replicants took over a long time ago, and keep operating, trying to live in peace but these pesky colonists keep bothering them

You could get Weyland Yutani involved too, maybe with Wallace Corp having been acquired by WY decades/a century ago and they try to assert ownership of the facility.

And get Kurt Russell in there.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I don't want any more cornbread, fucker

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ran a session I found surprisingly enjoyable with the crew of the USCSS Krull in spite of it being something of a "bottle episode" involving corporate, government and media intrigue as the crew returned to Gateway Station and participated in a cover up of the previous journey's events.

As payment for their complicity, the Weyland Yutani rep offered them a pork contract at an incredibly inflated rate to make a milk run delivery of comtech supplies to a long-standing extra-solar colony.

This run will occur next session and naturally go off without a hitch.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phi230 posted:

BR is also in the Alien universe so not a stretch.

I had the idea of a bait-and-switch scenario where the player group responds to a colony that has gone dark. They arrive to find the colony falling apart, practically under siege from unseen forces.

The players encounter these insurgents that are extremely capable and also look extremely similar, like twins.

Turns out the planet houses an old military-grade replicant production facility owned by a company called Wallace Corporation, long defunct, that the replicants took over a long time ago, and keep operating, trying to live in peace but these pesky colonists keep bothering them

You could get Weyland Yutani involved too, maybe with Wallace Corp having been acquired by WY decades/a century ago and they try to assert ownership of the facility.

You could go straight 2049 and say that the Nexus 8s have been self-replicating the old-fashioned way :huh: following the events of that movie and have settled out from the core worlds and begin reasserting a presence. Make a whole campaign about it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Thought about Alien(s) again. Watching the director's cut of Alien with the wife tonight and so far it's the best of the director's cuts :hfive:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My ideal cut of each of the Alien movies is a blend of their two cuts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love all of the director's cuts.

Although I don't want to trigger another "best cut" discussion.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It's good. Better than the others in terms of narrative flow and addition without distraction

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I recall vaguely something about a fanfic or retcon about Jonesy where someone goes into a bit of detail about what happens to him after Ripley leaves earth again (for the second time)? Maybe I'm making this up

Jesus Christ I missed this but what the gently caress

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HiroProtagonist posted:

I recall vaguely something about a fanfic or retcon about Jonesy where someone goes into a bit of detail about what happens to him after Ripley leaves earth again (for the second time)? Maybe I'm making this up

Jesus Christ I missed this but what the gently caress

I made a parody end-credits video about ‘Aliens several years ago.

https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I made a parody end-credits video about ‘Aliens several years ago.

https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

Lmao this owns, thank you

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No joke there used to be a higher-quality version I had posted that had clearer subtitle text, but it got flagged by a bunch of people who didn’t realize it was a parody video and thought it was real (and that they’d been intentionally misled).

The raw video files are lost to the mists of time like my old AvP Let’s Play stuff, otherwise I’d reupload it with a big fuckoff disclaimer or something.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This is better as a non sequitur and is definitely thread content

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I remember taking a couple of prescription sleeping pills one night, half an hour before I went to bed.

For some reason I thought I’d have one more beer (I’d had a couple already).

Next thing I know, I’m waking up in bed in the morning. My girlfriend comes into the bedroom, and tells me she’s finally managed to find the torrent of Alien Quadrilogy (the box set) and it’s all downloaded.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, I’d woken her up, insisted she got out of bed, got her to download a torrent client, then got her to start downloading the box set, specifically the box set, of the Alien films. And bless her, she did it.

No loving clue. Total blank. And that’s terrifying, really, that you can be that specific and appear totally awake and not have a single recollection of a whole period of time. Never touched a sleeping pill since.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was this the thread wheres some folks were using a discord for comms and playing AvP?

And was it AvP2010?

If so, I have that in my Steam library, I would like to reinstall it and familiarize myself with it again, then join you, if I may.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is better as a non sequitur and is definitely thread content

Ambien is a helluva drug.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Feel however you want about the prequels; but motherfucker is Fassbender's performance just unassailable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Fassbender is pretty much the only good thing about the prequels.

Although his American accent in Covenant was atrocious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

That's funny, I was thinking about this today actually.

Dead Space creeped me the gently caress out and kept me on the edge of my seat most of the time. The game does a great job of building a tense, creepy atmosphere, the sound design is great, and I enjoyed playing it, but man was it stressful.

Dead Space / Dead Space 2 were really great.

Even though I would recommend Dead Space 2 since it has less technical issues on more modern PCs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I honestly think Walter's voice was a deliberate choice.

Like it costs a quadrillion dollars to machine one of these things and the test model they sent out was lost with all hands with rumors of it going loving nuts.

So you can't just start from the ground up. You patch in some no-murdering subroutines you paper over the aloof clipped British tones that make the end user worry the robot thinks it's better than them. You replace it with just a grumbly faux-midwestern unpretentious voice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fassbender is pretty much the only good thing about the prequels.

I rewatched Covenant for Alien Day and I actually don't have a problem with Walter's voice. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's like a lighter version of Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: double post and no idea how that happened

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Fassbender is definitely the best thing about the two prequels.

The focus on David and what he does however is also one of the main reasons the second prequel sucked so bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I honestly think Walter's voice was a deliberate choice.

Like it costs a quadrillion dollars to machine one of these things and the test model they sent out was lost with all hands with rumors of it going loving nuts.

So you can't just start from the ground up. You patch in some no-murdering subroutines you paper over the aloof clipped British tones that make the end user worry the robot thinks it's better than them. You replace it with just a grumbly faux-midwestern unpretentious voice.

I like to imagine that at some point, Weyland-Yutani became the Bethesda of android manufacturing.

The line that David came from was its Fallout 76.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So every now and then one of their artificial people will T pose and fall through the floor?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

purple death ray posted:

So every now and then one of their artificial people will T pose and fall through the floor?

We saw half of that in Covenant.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you zoom out of the APC scenes it's just Bishop with the carrier stuck to his head running along a track

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Keltar posted:

Fassbender is definitely the best thing about the two prequels.

The focus on David and what he does however is also one of the main reasons the second prequel sucked so bad.

:agreed:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I shall be watching Alien this Wednesday with my wife, who has never seen it, and is a big fraidy cat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Torquemada posted:

I shall be watching Alien this Wednesday with my wife, who has never seen it, and is a big fraidy cat.

:yeshaha:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torquemada posted:

You have to let us know how that goes. The opening of the eyes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So, if you guys were going to resurrect the stillborn David^3 Covenant sequel, where would you go with it? Interested in your writers room pitches and takes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
To be honest, I don't even remember how Covenant ends.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Owlbear Camus posted:

So, if you guys were going to resurrect the stillborn David^3 Covenant sequel, where would you go with it? Interested in your writers room pitches and takes.

David stands over a pod, ready to do something horrible to the occupant. Suddenly he's clobbered from behind, knocking his head off his shoulders like Ash. It's Charles S. Dutton holding a lead pipe, looking right into the camera. "I gotta reeducate this brother."

Roll credits, no further explanation, movie is 38 seconds long.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wild T posted:

David stands over a pod, ready to do something horrible to the occupant. Suddenly he's clobbered from behind, knocking his head off his shoulders like Ash. It's Charles S. Dutton holding a lead pipe, looking right into the camera. "I gotta reeducate this brother."

Roll credits, no further explanation, movie is 38 seconds long.

I'm game, Charles S. Dutton is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

You have to let us know how that goes. The opening of the eyes.

If I could find a way to rig a camera I would.