Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Katamari games kind of feel like Honey I Shrunk The Kids even though it's not exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

I enjoyed Odissey but I found it a bit exhausting, too much stuff. Could do with more focused content.

Hope they go with less collect-a-thons and meaningless map checklist stuff

Yeah I'm sure that'll be different.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

15 minutes to Streets of Rage 4! And then I can find out if I can afford it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
re: Yakuza 0 - holy poo poo that scene to round out chapter 11

nishitani owns, what a boss, and what a game for making me feel for him and his point man both out of nowhere

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yakuza games are freaking amazing and I can't wait for the Remastered Collection to be ported to PC.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Receiver 2 got an update that apparently fixed the crashes and the control issues (Shift now works properly).

EDIT: I'm not exactly a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, but it seems everyone is already writing off the new game before it even comes out.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 30, 2020

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Orv posted:

"Odyssey with snow" could actually be really good.

I suppose my issue is the lack of major landmarks or towns. I don't want to return to the trees of AC3.

Though as its subtitled Valhalla, maybe it will lean more into the supercool mythical stuff from the last two games.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Orv posted:

Can't wait for Harald Hardrada to be a complete rear end in a top hat/best bud to me.

Just going to go out on a limb here and say that "Harald Hard Ruler" might fall in the former category.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xakura posted:

Just going to go out on a limb here and say that "Harald Hard Ruler" might fall in the former category.

You pal around with the Marquis de Sade in the French Revolution game so like, anything goes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought Origins and Odyssey were really good so I'm looking forward to AC Vikings.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm looking forward to the new one, at least to the point that I'd like to see what they'll do with the theme and perhaps any gameplay changes.

I'm still slowly going through Odyssey, and have skipped Origins for now,. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Anyone have any recommendations for either a Puzzle Quest-style "casual" game or a light, turn-based roguelike-ish thing that doesn't require constant attention? I'm stuck in endless useless Zoom meetings instead of doing actual work now that one of my clients made their whole staff WFH, and I need something to occupy myself with that doesn't require a ton of attention. I played through and beat Ancient Enemy in two days of meetings, so I need something new.

Into The Breach has been my other go-to, but I'm finding it a little bit too distracting if I want to pretend to pay a marginal amount of attention to what people are saying.

edit- burned through a bunch of Hexcells too

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ZZZorcerer posted:

I enjoyed Odissey but I found it a bit exhausting, too much stuff. Could do with more focused content.

Hope they go with less collect-a-thons and meaningless map checklist stuff

I am playing through Odyssey right now and maybe have a fifth of the map explored after 35 hours. Way too much stuff indeed. Absolutely loving it though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for either a Puzzle Quest-style "casual" game or a light, turn-based roguelike-ish thing that doesn't require constant attention? I'm stuck in endless useless Zoom meetings instead of doing actual work now that one of my clients made their whole staff WFH, and I need something to occupy myself with that doesn't require a ton of attention. I played through and beat Ancient Enemy in two days of meetings, so I need something new.

Into The Breach has been my other go-to, but I'm finding it a little bit too distracting if I want to pretend to pay a marginal amount of attention to what people are saying.

Gems of War is basically F2P puzzle quest with some systems changed, I like it a lot. Especially since you can speed up the animation speed significantly.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I think I'd say Monster Slayers looking at my list of installed things, its light enough that it doesnt need too much attention ever, cards based so can shift attention instantly. Bunch of characters with different playstyles/decks to work through. Unlocks and whatnot. Bit of pathing and vaguely random loot and trash. Plus when you 'beat' the game you have the option to mindlessly smash that deck against endless waves of enemies till they eventually murder you which might give you some solace in an endless meeting. Its old and definitely not a slay-the-spire balanced genre-redefining game. *Dont* get the expansions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Dungeons of Dredmor might be your speed, too. I used to play that all the time when I worked from home. Really good roguelike for beginners, fun character creation and skills, challenging but not too crazy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Paradoxish posted:

Tametsi is a slightly janky cross between Hexcells and regular Minesweeper. Delete is also in a similar space.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Troubleshooter: the mechanics translation is workable, in my opinion. It's not great, but it's RPG XCOM and you can parse what things do. I'm playing it just fine, and I can generally figure out what stats I want. If you're interested in it, I say you should give it a go and refund it if the translation doesn't work for you.

Caligula: I'll look it up before I make any irresponsible purchases, don't worry. If I wind up hating it I want to blame myself and not this thread.

AssCreed Valhalla: gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Metal Gear Solid 5

4$

I think that's a good price for this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean sure 4 bucks. Its a very redundant, unfinished game. Dont go out of your way to do all the side missions and it wont feel as rehashed.

drat I really want Streets of Rage but 26 bucks? On sale? I mean I'll beat it in an hour then not touch it again.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

srulz posted:

What is this Troubleshooter game that actually has a 9/10 rating which is higher than both XCOM: Chimera Squad & Gear Tactics? And also incredibly cheap as well?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/

Anyone want to share their impressions of the game?

It is pretty good, very anime, but solid tactical play, it is essentially a JRPG (KRPG?) about fantasy cops (don't worry, it is not a cop apologia game) using the format of XCOM's combat. I'd say to increase difficulty as high as possible if you're coming from XCOM, as the game starts off considerably easier, but does gradually amp challenge to a more satisfying point, I've had some pretty close missions later on. It is also very long, I am about 30 hours in and I think I am half way through? The game has mostly story missions with some optional ones you can choose from which are generally harder than the scenario stages. I've focused on the main path missions, so I can say with confidence there is no need for grinding. It is a lot of game for its value.

There is no creating characters or customizing appearance other than some skins, but there is an ARPG-like inventory system with drops and stores and rarity, you can also choose which active skills characters have so you can build them for different roles, you also have a very wide selection of passive skills you can plug into the characters. You start with 99 respec items if you're indecisive and get some extras as the game goes on. It takes a while before you get characters other than the main one in your team, but you do control regular police forces and guest hero characters in those early missions, so it's not like you're stuck playing with a single characters.

As others have said, re: Engrish. Dialogue is much better than the store page may suggest, but there were some tooltips I had to do double-takes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5

4$

I think that's a good price for this?

Still one of the best stealth games on the market in spite of it being a clearly unfinished game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

I mean sure 4 bucks. Its a very redundant, unfinished game. Dont go out of your way to do all the side missions and it wont feel as rehashed.

drat I really want Streets of Rage but 26 bucks? On sale? I mean I'll beat it in an hour then not touch it again.

Beat it in that time and you can return it!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Still one of the best stealth games on the market in spite of it being a clearly unfinished game.
Yeah. 100 hours of fun pretty much guaranteed if you like the genre, it's a steal for that price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. 100 hours of fun pretty much guaranteed if you like the genre, it's a steal for that price.
It's a great third-person open world shooter. Maybe not the best Metal Gear Solid game around, but worth the price of an expensive cup of coffee for sure.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
MGS5 owns as a sandbox that rewards creativity in tackling missions, I got $60 of fun out of it at launch.

Also you have to play side missions in order to unlock the final legs of story missions IIRC. Might want to Google exactly how to avoid repetitive burnout.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

MGS5 owns as a sandbox that rewards creativity in tackling missions, I got $60 of fun out of it at launch.

Also you have to play side missions in order to unlock the final legs of story missions IIRC. Might want to Google exactly how to avoid repetitive burnout.

Yeah I bought the game full price on release and don't regret it, I had a blast.

The story is unfinished and it shows, and the parts that did make it in are pretty incomprehensible even by metal gear standards, so just, expect that, going in, but the gameplay is really really solid. I didn't even mind the repetitive side missions because the game was so fun to play, but I can understand why people would complain about them.

tldr yes you should buy it at $4

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I couldn’t get into MGS5 at all. The first two hours were excruciating scripted nonsense, and then when I got into the open world everything just felt- annoying. I realize that’s extremely unhelpful as a criticism, but the best I can say is that the gamefeel was too loose, everything felt floaty, moving my character felt like steering a boat.

It didn’t help that everything I did rewarded me MMO style crafting bits and bobs and that seemed like it was going to be asinine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MGS V has by far the best controls of any stealth game, the problem there was entirely you.

MGS V is still one of the best games ever made, there's a lot there, it just leaves you wanting even more because it's so drat good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Paradoxish posted:

Slay the Spire was my first 'podcast game' because how well I could tune out of what was happening on the screen at any time to pay attention to what people were saying which I think is kinda the same situation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For anyone wondering, Streets of Rage 4 is on the PC Xbox Game Pass but for some reason doesn't show up in the new releases list so I had to search to find it to install it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Humble Choice will have new games today. I'm not sure if the Golden Week sale on Steam starts today, but it's better to keep this in mind just in case.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MGSV can be pretty incoherent but at least we got the hamburgers of master miller

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If any of you like choose your own adventures (or White Wolf poo poo), Choice of Games is doing three Vampire: the Masquerade games coming out over the next year and a half:

https://twitter.com/choiceofgames/status/1255883852180004865

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

K8.0 posted:

MGS V has by far the best controls of any stealth game, the problem there was entirely you.

MGS V is still one of the best games ever made, there's a lot there, it just leaves you wanting even more because it's so drat good.
I'd say it has some of the most real-feeling, but there can be a difference between that and "best." I recently had a similar discussion about Splinter Cell Blacklist and got a very similar complaint - that Sam Fisher feels heavy. Basically, Snake and Fisher both control a lot like you would expect a 220 pound adult beefslab to move, but that isn't really for everyone. If you're used to more in the way of instant responsiveness, then it can feel like a chore to get into.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd say it has some of the most real-feeling. I recently had a similar discussion about Splinter Cell Blacklist and got a very similar complaint - that Sam Fisher feels heavy. Basically, Snake and Fisher both control a lot like you would expect a 220 pound adult beefslab to move, but that isn't really for everyone. If you're used to more in the way of instant responsiveness, then it can feel like a chore to get into.

With a fully upgraded snake he runs cartoonishly fast though. Blacklist comparison is fair though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

With a fully upgraded snake he runs cartoonishly fast though. Blacklist comparison is fair though.
It's more about the inertia than the movement speed, you know what I mean? It's where the whole "steering" thing comes from. There's a degree of felt delay to everything you do.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's more about the inertia than the movement speed, you know what I mean? It's where the whole "steering" thing comes from. There's a degree of felt delay to everything you do.

I never really felt that so much but the complaints about geralts movement also sort of flew over my head. Might not be super sensitive to gamefeel? V:shobon:V

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I never really felt that so much but the complaints about geralts movement also sort of flew over my head. Might not be super sensitive to gamefeel? V:shobon:V
It's how I feel when people try to explain good vs. bad gun feel to me, so I know exactly what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, I think it’s fair to say that the issue I had with gamefeel is that Snake has weight and inertia, meanwhile everything in the gameworld feels like it’s going to suddenly break its collision physics and fly into the stratosphere Gamebryo style. All of the objects in the environment felt light and floaty.