Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
While this thread has gone magnificently off the rails Tucker Carlson remains laser focused on what matters.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1255648720005345281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

quote:

Story is paywalled but DCCC's internal polling apparently shows MI-03 (Amash's old seat) as in play, with generic Dem leading generic Rep +2. That's.... not inspiring from an internal, but it's a district where Dems have only broken 40% twice in a decade, and still never been close to unseating him.

I would avoid making that kind of analysis until the 'Biden rapist' situation evolves.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

I gave you a quote of joe Biden calling for war against Iraq before Bush was ever elected, it's funny that you can't actually deny this so you're just getting pissy and saying it's not worth talking about

Just admit you were wrong lol

In 1998 he was for a war in Iraq apparently. I never denied he supported war in Iraq. You got me?

Your specific statement was about how Joe Biden was somehow just as responsible for the Iraq War and its handling as the Bush Administration, and it just is factually not true.

Biden sucks in so many ways, why imagine new ways to hate him?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Darko posted:

There are a few posts above talking about the nuance in specific. I'm not as versed in those details, so I'd personally find it more interesting to debate those specifics in detail.

A good specific is Biden saying he would have voted the same way months after the invasion.

That kinda blows up the argument that he didn't agree with the way Bush and Cheney were handling the war.

But also I think the whole argument is disingenuous to begin with. It presupposes that there was some way to invade and conquer a country for no reason without killing lots and lots of people. There isn't. Maybe Biden would have killed less people than W but W isn't on the ballot

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

In 1998 he was for a war in Iraq apparently. I never denied he supported war in Iraq. You got me?

Your specific statement was about how Joe Biden was somehow just as responsible for the Iraq War and its handling as the Bush Administration, and it just is factually not true.

So are you just quibbling with the size of the body count Biden wanted to see?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Shut up about Biden, baby man is up, and he is PISSED

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255828428814770176
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255829082660577283
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255825998521741312
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255710938075889664
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255714490554953736
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255706636972363776
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255832117583495169

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Because the only thing that matters to a chunk of posters in this thread is their imaginary moral high ground over the rest.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

So are you just quibbling with the size of the body count Biden wanted to see?

I agree with you a lot on many things, but please stop putting up strawman arguments I never said.

Here let me put it this way: Biden SUPPORTED the Iraq War

Bush, Cheney and Rumsefeld planned, lied about, and carried out the Iraq War

Biden is an opportunistic moron and a war hawk for supporting the Iraq War, but he did not MAKE policy besides a vote

W and his administration are war criminals and profiteers for actually pushing through and carrying out the Iraq War

I am not "quibbling" that Biden is an idiot and a war hawk, nor am I talking about body count numbers being not what Biden wanted (seriously what even is this point?)

I'm saying that the Bush Adminstrstion engineered and carried out the Iraq War, and Biden pushed for and voted on it are different things in different degrees of action

Those two things are literally not the same thing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last week has been a very big mood for this man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GreyjoyBastard posted:

not only ostensibly yes, as per my previous posts on his immigration policy, but they were mostly closed by January 2021 and their character and direction was quite distinct from the Trump camps

Look they were concentration camps where we kept immigrant child basically indefinitely but when Obama ran them the whole vibe of the zone was different, you know?

The Obama administration ramped up efforts to round up and punish illegal immigration explicitly as a way to show the GOP they were willing to compromise to get things done :tm:, much like their proposed cuts to social security that only failed to pass cause McConnell didn't want them to get a win. This was always the direction this was going.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 30, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

He's psyching himself up for Big Pardon weekend I imagine

This is his last thing to fire up his base: go full Qanon

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
But none of this really matters because you won't be voting for Trump either, right? So you aren't going through this tedious exercise to try to determine which of the two possible options is better, but rather to discourage people from making any choice? Seems like a waste of your time.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
closely in toe

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I agree with you a lot on many things, but please stop putting up strawman arguments I never said.

Here let me put it this way: Biden SUPPORTED the Iraq War

Bush, Cheney and Rumsefeld planned, lied about, and carried out the Iraq War

Biden is an opportunistic moron and a war hawk for supporting the Iraq War, but he did not MAKE policy besides a vote

W and his administration are war criminals and profiteers for actually pushing through and carrying out the Iraq War

I am not "quibbling" that Biden is an idiot and a war hawk, nor am I talking about body count numbers being not what Biden wanted (seriously what even is this point?)

I'm saying that the Bush Adminstrstion engineered and carried out the Iraq War, and Biden pushed for and voted on it are different things in different degrees of action

Those two things as re literally not the same thing

Ok but all I was saying was that the claim that Trump will kill more people than Biden would is suspect because Biden already has a higher body count than Trump due to the Iraq War alone.

Now you can argue that had Biden run the war he would have killed less people than W (a questionable claim itself, given Biden's cockamamie plan to partition Iraq into ethnic nation-states all mutually jealous of each other's natural resources), but at the end of the day he still would have killed a massive number of people because that's what happens when you commit crimes against peace and bomb and invade and conquer people for no reason

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Also, Trump just retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1255658290920534018

The GOP is playing us like a fiddle, and it's working

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I ran a network and had a dog that could read the news, I would never throw him off the evening news no matter how many lies he told

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Who wants Tracking Polls?
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1255825331828805634
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1255826274506940416
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1255828121992998913
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1255829798879969280

That change after the bleach comments is :eyepop:, though I'm sure it's the same crowd who crowed about walking away after the Access Hollywood tapes (Jason "we have a fifteen-year-old daughter, and if I can’t look her in the eye and tell her these things" Chaffetz) only to come rushing back (Jason "HRC is that bad" Chaffetz).

In the notes, it mentions that the Northeast is especially negative on Trump's handling-- connecting it to how hard it's been hit by COVID. One of the things to watch for as Texas, Georgia, and other reddish-purple states move to kill their populace is if that holds true as the consequences start being felt.

A hefty :rolleyes: at the 18% who've gone full Thanks Obama

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 30, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:allears:

Lol right-wing grifters are coming at him from the right for even trying to save any lives at all. You hate to see it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Today's unemployment numbers: 3.8 million new claims for the week, now 30+ since the Great Closure.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
There's a lot of back and forth about Biden vs Trump but the goal should still be a better nominee. It's not too late. Commiting to Biden now just gives up any leverage

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but all I was saying was that the claim that Trump will kill more people than Biden would is suspect because Biden already has a higher body count than Trump due to the Iraq War alone.

Now you can argue that had Biden run the war he would have killed less people than W (a questionable claim itself, given Biden's cockamamie plan to partition Iraq into ethnic nation-states all mutually jealous of each other's natural resources), but at the end of the day he still would have killed a massive number of people because that's what happens when you commit crimes against peace and bomb and invade and conquer people for no reason

Oh you also argued that the legislative branch is responsible for how the executive branch decides to carry out what it passes, don't forget that.

I mean, we wouldn't want people to be disingenuous or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nevvy Z posted:

There's a lot of back and forth about Biden vs Trump but the goal should still be a better nominee. It's not too late. Commiting to Biden now just gives up any leverage

The party has done everything possible to ensure this is not an option.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I ran a network and had a dog that could read the news, I would never throw him off the evening news no matter how many lies he told

Pissbaby really hates dogs doesn't he. It's like the worst thing he can think of to use in a simile. How can anyone hate dogs, dogs are great.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Oh you also argued that the legislative branch is responsible for how the executive branch decides to carry out what it passes, don't forget that.

I mean, we wouldn't want people to be disingenuous or anything.

I do believe that legislators are responsible for the legislation they vote for yes, and I don't believe that "well I didn't know what he would do with that blank check I voted for" is an excuse, and anyway that doesn't apply here because Biden maintained for years afterwards that if he could do it all over again he'd vote the same way so he obv didn't have much of a problem with how the AUMF was used even if he personally might have been more competent (debatable given his proposal to partition Iraq) and killed a slightly-less-than-insanely-horrific number of people in his pointless war based on lies.

But my original argument was that Biden has a higher body count than Trump, at first I thought people responding to me were disputing that, but I guess they were just quibbling about precisely how much higher it is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

olylifter posted:

Pissbaby really hates dogs doesn't he. It's like the worst thing he can think of to use in a simile. How can anyone hate dogs, dogs are great.

He has never actually loved or felt a true positive emotion in his miserable, gilded life.

Just an actual living, breathing hate golem.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Willo567 posted:

Also, Trump just retweeted this.

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1255658290920534018

The GOP is playing us like a fiddle, and it's working
To Bill: ...what?

To you: Willo I can't tell what level of irony you're working on anymore but I hope it's not the one where you don't think Bill Mitchell is an idiot.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Tibalt posted:

To Bill: ...what?

To you: Willo I can't tell what level of irony you're working on anymore but I hope it's not the one where you don't think Bill Mitchell is an idiot.

Look at the number of posters in this thread that are telling people that it's better for people not to vote in November.

The more people that stay home, the more votes it gives Trump.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

...but Biden did not run the Iraq War. How does he have a body count?

I can follow you until this point dude. Trump has actually gotten thousands killed through his administration. Biden had no power besides supporting a vote. You could argue he supported Obama continuing the disastrous policies of Republicans and there I would agree, but saying Biden is directly responsible for body counts directly in the Iraq War of 2003 is fantasy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Vote shaming doesn't work especially when it's months out from the loving convention. Give it up. You aren't gonna get people to switch to supporting your preferred rapist with bad math

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Willo567 posted:

Look at the number of posters in this thread that are telling people that it's better for people not to vote in November.

The more people that stay home, the more votes it gives Trump.

It seems the point of that tweet was that if Bernie supporters didn't turn out to vote in the primary, they certainly won't in the general, which makes sense on the surface.

But I don't believe that means that the GOP is playing us.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The relevant question today, in the year of our lord 2020, however, is whether he has learned his lessons. And, I fully believe that, on most issues, he has.
I understand wanting to make a 'lesser evil' argument but this is just hilarious. The guy hasn't even so much as bothered to apologize for most of the "mistakes" he's made.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 30, 2020

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Most of you at each other's throats are wrong at the wrong people. Yes the anger on both sides is justified. You should be mad enough at the party that has put you in this position to do something about it.

It always seems like we end up having to vote for a neoliberal that really doesn't care about the working poor just because the other option is worse.
I don't know what we do to fix these structural problems that always bring us back here.

I hope I see some of you running for office or getting more involved in races that need help.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 30, 2020

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

ManBoyChef posted:

wrong at the wrong people.

:perfect:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Doctor Butts posted:

It seems the point of that tweet was that if Bernie supporters didn't turn out to vote in the primary, they certainly won't in the general, which makes sense on the surface.

But I don't believe that means that the GOP is playing us.

I don’t even get what the point is supposed to be? The Bernie didn’t turn out for Bernie in the primaries? How is that even possible? The Bernie people did turn out in the primaries, there just aren’t as many of them as we thought.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

...but Biden did not run the Iraq War. How does he have a body count?

I can follow you until this point dude. Trump has actually gotten thousands killed through his administration. Biden had no power besides supporting a vote. You could argue he supported Obama continuing the disastrous policies of Republicans and there I would agree, but saying Biden is directly responsible for body counts directly in the Iraq War of 2003 is fantasy

Unless you're claiming that Biden had a super secret plan for how to invade another country, depose the government, and install a friendly regime while killing zero people that he would have carried out in Bush's place this argument doesn't make much sense.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Its weird having a mental breakdown over a sex pest rapist. What a strange hill to die on.

I'm mad you missed the opportunity to say "What an Anita Hill to die on" with regards Biden.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t even get what the point is supposed to be? The Bernie didn’t turn out for Bernie in the primaries? How is that even possible? The Bernie people did turn out in the primaries, there just aren’t as many of them as we thought.

I think this is a good point. I do not think that there are as many of them as we had hoped. However, a lot of posters here will counter with stories about how the Bernie vote was suppressed/stolen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Unless you're claiming that Biden had a super secret plan for how to invade another country, depose the government, and install a friendly regime while killing zero people that he would have carried out in Bush's place this argument doesn't make much sense.

Really, we should have just let Germany take Britain too. I mean, there's no way to have won the war without killing a bunch of people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think this is a good point. I do not think that there are as many of them as we had hoped. However, a lot of posters here will counter with stories about how the Bernie vote was suppressed/stolen.

I see you've come around to the Republican view that voter suppression isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Really, we should have just let Germany take Britain too. I mean, there's no way to have won the war without killing a bunch of people.

So the Iraq War was justified?

Ooookay if that's your position why did you deny it when I pointed out several times that your argument implied the Iraq War was good