Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any word on if Disney springs is opening monxay?

AFAIK Orange County is still abiding by a stay at home order and not letting restaurants and retail open yet, so it's doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Disney is getting us ready to go back to the parks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you screenshotted those and told me it was from The Onion I would not doubt you at all. Holy poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I.....I want that baby yoda mask

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

yeah these own

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

If you screenshotted those and told me it was from The Onion I would not doubt you at all. Holy poo poo.

Hate to tell you but we're far beyond even the Onion's standards of parody

quote:

Yes, these are real coins commemorating our (mostly Donald Jebediah Trump's) defeat of the coronavirus and they are available on the White House Gift Shop!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

how did you miss the bestworst one

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I picked the one that was the least self-aware and that also looked like an actual coin instead of a first year student's Illustrator mockup

Also holy gently caress they misspelled Mnuchin :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mm. "fought".

I guess they did the same thing after ww1 and said it'd never happen again et al.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

trump fought covid like he fought in vietnam

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just to clarify, the "White House Gift Shop" is not actually the White House gift shop. It was, but the government fund was shut down in 2013 and it's now privately owned.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

chitoryu12 posted:

Just to clarify, the "White House Gift Shop" is not actually the White House gift shop. It was, but the government fund was shut down in 2013 and it's now privately owned.

You're ruining the fun.

You're right of course but most people don't know that, and T-pain is absolutely leveraging that ignorance into his own personal merchandising slush fund

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wait, is T Pain seriously the owner of the White House Gift Shop? That might actually be better than if it were official.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I was looking at the pictures in this article

https://blogmickey.com/2020/03/aerial-tour-of-empty-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world

and the show building for Splash has me flummoxed. There are random bands of fake rocks at the top of the show building. What is the line of sight those are for? Where would guests see those fake rocks?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I have three guesses, but they're just guesses - nose up to the gate to the backstage area to the south of Splash Mountain, maybe get an odd glimpse while you're on the railroad, and if you look in an unintended direction during the ride itself. There's also the somewhat unsatisfying possibility that it was the late 80's/early 90's, and computer modeling wasn't quite where it is today, so they just threw some rock formations on the building because they didn't want risk a screwy sightline somewhere.

I'm always blown away at how big the HM and small world buildings are.

EDIT: Can you see Splash from Swiss Family Treehouse, if you look a weird direction? That might not be elevated enough, I suppose.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm still blown away that the park has been closed for a month and they aren't utilizing the time to do any maintenance or construction or repair projects that would be impossible during normal running hours. I get it's for safety reasons, but can't they have small isolated crews or something?

Have they said anything about whether they'll do any construction/maintenance projects now that Florida is starting to open back up even though the parks won't re-open for at least another month?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That kinda poo poo costs money and with no idea if they are even opening for the rest of 2020, that wouldn't be prudent

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm still blown away that the park has been closed for a month and they aren't utilizing the time to do any maintenance or construction or repair projects that would be impossible during normal running hours. I get it's for safety reasons, but can't they have small isolated crews or something?

Have they said anything about whether they'll do any construction/maintenance projects now that Florida is starting to open back up even though the parks won't re-open for at least another month?

Social distancing does not lean toward construction very good just because of the community nature of construction.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

couldcareless posted:

That kinda poo poo costs money and with no idea if they are even opening for the rest of 2020, that wouldn't be prudent

This is the answer. Every business that can't operate is stopping any capital expenditures they can.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’d also add that the kind of projects that require park shutdown can’t be run with small teams. Any maintenance projects aren’t going to have budget allocated when the attractions aren’t being used and won’t be checked up on once the project is completed.

Reopening everything is going to be a complete nightmare though :shrug: even seasonal parks have full-time engineers that work on the rides and park all year round.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Today was the day we were originally going to fly out, and if I can’t bring my man to the Polynesian I’M GOING TO BRING THE POLYNESIAN TO HIM

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 1, 2020

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Social distancing does not lean toward construction very good just because of the community nature of construction.

Not true, most of it is in small isolated groups for the outdoor projects anyway, all sorts of construction is still going on, including downtown Orlando and road construction, and Universal is actively working on the new park (although it's slowed, it's still being worked on today). Also all sorts of construction/maintenance are happening in Islands of adventure. Disney paused to save cash.

Orange County, FL (orlando, etc) county had a press conference about what's reopening next week (Phase 1).

Restaurants and retail stores will be allowed to reopen with limited capacity.

Restaurants can offer outdoor seating with 6-feet of spacing between tables and indoor seating is limited to 25 percent capacity, while retail stores can operate at 25 percent of indoor capacity.
maintain social distancing
masks for employees
wash hands frequently
screen employees
temperature screen for staff (over 100 degrees F, go home)
stay home when sick
hi risk employees should stay home / work from home

Some units within the parks might open with phase 1, or shortly after. Aka Disney Springs/Citywalk, likely no hotel restaurants with phase 1. Most likely third party (non-Disney/Universal) leased restaurants in these places first.

Elective surgeries may begin on Monday, but schools will continue distance learning, and visits to nursing homes are still prohibited. There will be no changes for bars, nightclubs, gyms and theaters. Personal services offered by barbers, hairstylists and salons are to remain closed under the first phase of the governor's plan, but they may allow appointment only before phase 1 is done.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 2, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

construction crews have also been a large and unnecessary vector for spreading so good on Disney for pausing projects even if it was profit motivated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

Today was the day we were originally going to fly out, and if I can’t bring my man to the Polynesian I’M GOING TO BRING THE POLYNESIAN TO HIM

This is wonderful. You're wonderful.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, that's really sweet of you Claw

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Did something similar for wife's birthday a few days ago in our backyard. She just stayed in our tiny blow up pool all day while I worked with the back door open. It was quite nice.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

I was looking at the pictures in this article

https://blogmickey.com/2020/03/aerial-tour-of-empty-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world

and the show building for Splash has me flummoxed. There are random bands of fake rocks at the top of the show building. What is the line of sight those are for? Where would guests see those fake rocks?

I think I was told on the Keys to the Kingdom tour that those sightlines used to be visible but aren’t anymore because trees grew.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

That's sweet:)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Boxman posted:

I have three guesses, but they're just guesses - nose up to the gate to the backstage area to the south of Splash Mountain, maybe get an odd glimpse while you're on the railroad, and if you look in an unintended direction during the ride itself. There's also the somewhat unsatisfying possibility that it was the late 80's/early 90's, and computer modeling wasn't quite where it is today, so they just threw some rock formations on the building because they didn't want risk a screwy sightline somewhere.

I'm always blown away at how big the HM and small world buildings are.

EDIT: Can you see Splash from Swiss Family Treehouse, if you look a weird direction? That might not be elevated enough, I suppose.

I think you can see the weird rockwork for Splash at certain points in their heinous outdoor set of switchbacks in the queue, but that's really the only place in park I can think of it really showing now that trees have grown in.

Interesting fact: Mansion's show building WAS the largest singular show building on the property until, oddly, The Little Mermaid ride opened with new Fantasyland. Pirates technically beats Mansion, but it's in two buildings rather than one. I am sure Rise of the Resistance blows it out of the water though since that show building takes up a large chunk of the land.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Report: Man caught camping on Disney’s Discovery Island says it was ‘tropical paradise'

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

According to an arrest report, McGuire told deputies he was not aware that the property was off limits

Absolutely amazing gumption.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Interesting fact: Mansion's show building WAS the largest singular show building on the property until, oddly, The Little Mermaid ride opened with new Fantasyland. Pirates technically beats Mansion, but it's in two buildings rather than one. I am sure Rise of the Resistance blows it out of the water though since that show building takes up a large chunk of the land.

Was Pandora's show building ever in the running? I would have guessed it in there, since it houses two attractions.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

The last place I want to be camping is on a deserted island in a state known for crazy rear end bugs and lizards and gators.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Boxman posted:

Was Pandora's show building ever in the running? I would have guessed it in there, since it houses two attractions.

That's a good question, although I know Flight of Passage actually doesn't take up a ton of space and River Journey is small, so it might be closer to Mansion/Mermaid than say Rise of the Resistance, but I am not sure exactly how big it is.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How the gently caress do people camp in Florida? Air conditioned tents?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It gets fairly cool at night.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

*Offer not valid in summer

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alg posted:

How the gently caress do people camp in Florida? Air conditioned tents?

fall and winter

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Suuuuuure it does.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Suuuuuure it does.

I still have nightmares about the few times we’ve lingered a little bit too long after the fireworks show and have to wait in sweltering heat for the ferry like it’s the last chopper out of Saigon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

I still have nightmares about the few times we’ve lingered a little bit too long after the fireworks show and have to wait in sweltering heat for the ferry like it’s the last chopper out of Saigon

Before I hosed up my knees, I walked to and from work every day, since I live close to MK, and wow, the walk home in the humid night with no wind is just one of the worst sensations. Especially if I worked Jungle Cruise that day and hadn't really experienced any indoor time at all.