Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MikeCrotch posted:

I guess The Troubles would have to be 2 player a la Colonial Twilight?
Everyone Irish as an individual faction.

Are there any really different games of the Queen of the Skies variety? More that a different setting for rolling dice to make enemy appear, and moving crew to plug holes.
ECA The Doolittle Raid looks interesting with all the preparations for the operation. I wish there were something about the Soviet attempts to terror-bomb Berlin in the 1940s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Hunters/The Hunted/Silent Victory are basically QotS but with subs, if you don't mind going underwater instead of the air.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Grundma posted:

I've been thinking on and off about Space Empires 4x as a solo game for a while. Does anyone have thoughts on it as a solo experience and are the expansions important to make it work?

The Alien Empires scenario plays really well solo, even smoother if you use an app instead of the flowchart. For example, the app I made:

https://alien-empires-bot.herokuapp.com

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to build in saving, so that's only good for a single session game.

If you're interested in the game at all, Replicators adds not just a wildly different faction, but some great full hex counters which make the board look much nicer and easier to scan. Close Encounters just adds more stuff (but it's good stuff).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tekopo posted:

The Hunters/The Hunted/Silent Victory are basically QotS but with subs, if you don't mind going underwater instead of the air.
I put in a P500 for Beneath the Med: it's the same but Italy, and sometimes you go shopping to Japan, or fire seamen riding torpedoes.

Looked at the recent Target for Tonight, because British bombers, but there's 8 pages of errata already.

Has anyone tried out Zeppelin Raider?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Quarantine madness made me order World In Flames Collector's Edition Deluxe

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
The cool thing about that is you can make a game out of prepping the game for play: See how many counters you can clip in an day, then during the next day, try to beat your record. Two games in one!

After six weeks, you’ll be getting pretty good at clipping WiF. You can thank me later once you’re out of the ICU for your wrist injuries.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Same, but with building papercraft storage boxes for Lock n Load Tactical counters.

I picked up another Tactical game - Heroes Against the Red Star - along with World at War 85 for my birthday, and the week since has been spent flattening maps and meticulously cutting cardstock to shape. It is weirdly satisfying. LnLP counters are so high quality, they deserve a nice little home to live in.

EDIT: They DO look pretty good!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 29, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Squiggle posted:

Same, but with building papercraft storage boxes for Lock n Load Tactical counters.

I picked up another Tactical game - Heroes Against the Red Star - along with World at War 85 for my birthday, and the week since has been spent flattening maps and meticulously cutting cardstock to shape. It is weirdly satisfying. LnLP counters are so high quality, they deserve a nice little home to live in.

Post a review both those are on my wishlist

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Squiggle posted:

What? Legible tokens with color, design, and.... graphics?! MADNESS

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ropes4u posted:

Post a review both those are on my wishlist

I will! I legit love the Heroes of Normandy game, got the solo cards and battle generator and everything, and it's a lot of fun. I wanted to try one of the modern games, and HAtRS is real armor-heavy which is a nice change. Seems about half the scenarios play on the giant map, though, which hurt my kitchen table setup I've used so far.

WaW85 is my first platoon level game, and it plays a lot faster than I expected. Which is good! I tend to leave games on the table for a while. It seems like a refined version of the Nations at War game.

I'll share more once I get to play a few more scenarios. Honestly if you're into it at all, there's a coupon code until May...4th? for 20% off whole orders which is very helpful. These things aren't cheap.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

What? Legible tokens with color, design, and.... graphics?! MADNESS

And their corners are pre-cut

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 30, 2020

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Squiggle posted:

These things aren't cheap.

If you can ever get in on a kickstarter by Lock 'n Load then get in for the stretch goals. I picked up WaW85 when they did their KS and it took me two trips on my bike to get everything home. I think I got the base game + expansions for $70.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Quarterdeck Games is having a SIP Sale,

https://www.facebook.com/jack.w.greene.9/posts/10157447287318299

Jack's a pro-follow on Facebook if you're old, boring, and still on that lovely platform.

TOGO: Dawn of the Dreadnought (Zip) SPECIAL - $36.
or
DURCHBRUCH: Caporetto 1917 (boxed) - SPECIAL $50.
or
CUSTOZA: Fields of Doom (boxed) SPECIAL - $50.
MORAVIAN SUN: Austerlitz (boxed) $45.
WISE BAYONETS – 1799 & Suvorov (boxed) $45. These two are designed by Enrico Acerbi using the same system and if bought as a pair, the SPECIAL is $75.
GORIZIA 1916 (boxed) - $55.
RACE TO TOKYO: The 1946 Planned Invasion (zip-lock) $39.
LA GUERRA DI GRADISCA: 1615-1617 (boxed) - $60.
OPERATION POINTBLANK: Strategic Bombing Campaign February-December 1944 (small box) designed by Yasushi Nakaguro $39.
BRACCIO DA MONTONE – Condottiero battles Sant’Egidio (1416) & L’Aquila (1424) (boxed) $45.
CARICAT!: Into Glory Ride two games (zip-lock) $24
OBBEDISCO! 1866 The Bezzecca Campaign – (zip-lock) $24
HITLER STRIKES NORTH Chinese/American version (boxed) – SPECIAL $25 – soon to be on VASSAL.
HITLER STRIKES NORTH Chinese version Countersheets (2 with rounded edges) - $6 (for those who have the original game) – consider these as zip-locked.
GLORY RECALLED: Hong Kong 1941 (boxed) - $70 (only 2 left).
THE INVASION OF RUSSIA: 1812 (Zip) – $39.
NAPOLEON’S NEMESIS: 1813 (Zip) – $39.
RADETZKY’S MARCH: 1849 Campaign of Novara (boxed) - $70 (AWARD WINNING AND the LAST copy).
RACE TO MANILA (Zip) – $11.
A STEP TO VICTORY: The Bougainville Campaign 1943-45 (Zip) $11.
BATTLE FOR RUSSIA (boxed and mounted board) $55
BATTLE FOR RUSSIA Ty Bomba’s 1941 6 turn game on Operation Barbarossa. (zip-locked) SPECIAL $30.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 30, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/253511/university-tokyo-protests-19681969

quote:

a four-player game of the University of Tokyo protests from June 1968 to January 1969 by using GMT Games' COIN system

What...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Someone should remake this Jim Dunnigan classic using COIN.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Interesting subject matter, but I don't think the COIN system is the right choice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

If a student stands on his head, the police can't touch him until they conduct a Sweep.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Strangely enough, Coalition Forces can spend resources from the Student Loan tracker, which I get is a necessary abstraction, but still

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

It's now a race to finish. Once the US army gets going, it's very hard to stop. I think the most likely outcome is a win through reducing the Confederates to 0 SW, but we'll see. I've got 4 turns to get it done, and Sherman has just entered the game.

Interesting facts: more SPs have died to attrition in Washington than in all battles combined but the two must deadly.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 2, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hahaha holy poo poo

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
You don't know the half of it. Great game. Hope you have an area of your house to dedicate to it, esp if you use all of the supplement maps. You'll find yourself trying to use the Italians to try to invade Hawaii just because you can.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Congrats to wingspan on winning best wargame of last year!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Here's what happens if the Confederates try to play defensively in For the People

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo

Umm, is it just me or do those two globes look like giant testicles below a shaft :stare:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Umm, is it just me or do those two globes look like giant testicles below a shaft :stare:

You are far from the first to make that observation about the WIF cover.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo
Ah, the dick game.

e:fb

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me seeing the WiF cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHO84rOp8FQ

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo

The virgin USE and chad WIF

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

MikeCrotch posted:

The virgin USE and chad WIF

You got that backwards, the fat one that constantly shows off its dick is definitely the virgin.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

7 mounted mapboards and 25 countersheets :eyepop:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ahh... Hornet Leader with Cthulhu has cleared customs and is coming.

Should I use the nuke from the expansion for normal campaigns?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

7 mounted mapboards and 25 countersheets :eyepop:

lmao how much does that fucker weigh in at?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AARP LARPer posted:

lmao how much does that fucker weigh in at?

The shipping box had 10 lbs printed on it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've got Wing Leader coming into the mail, should work fine for solo and I'm intereted in the early war stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also for a hint about the next game between tek and i:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If that's Empire of the Sun then I'd be really interested in seeing that game played out. That's one I've wanted to check out, but I really want to see an LP or something of it first.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Ithle01 posted:

If that's Empire of the Sun then I'd be really interested in seeing that game played out. That's one I've wanted to check out, but I really want to see an LP or something of it first.

If you've got the time for it, I'd recommend watching the tutorials/LP at the link below. I watched it before playing my copy of the game against a friend and it was a big help in understanding the game and while a video, the guy doesn't suffer from nasal dork voice which is a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4jGcMeLNZibnDXZ5ZcC2okVUNG6S_lAq

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Das_Ubermike posted:

If you've got the time for it, I'd recommend watching the tutorials/LP at the link below. I watched it before playing my copy of the game against a friend and it was a big help in understanding the game and while a video, the guy doesn't suffer from nasal dork voice which is a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4jGcMeLNZibnDXZ5ZcC2okVUNG6S_lAq

Ah, cool, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I usually like to watch a real game rather than the tutorial, but this one seems like it's pretty comprehensive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well when me and Panzeh get to play EotS, I'll post it in the thread. Although I haven't played in a while so the first session will need some catch up.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
My problem with EotS is that because of the way the naval operations work and some other reasons I have a hard time visualizing how you're supposed to play it, but it does seem like a really interesting game to me so I look forward to seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ithle01 posted:

My problem with EotS is that because of the way the naval operations work and some other reasons I have a hard time visualizing how you're supposed to play it, but it does seem like a really interesting game to me so I look forward to seeing that.

It's not as easy to visualize things in it- the Vassal module helps with the AZOI overlay but you still really have to consider the distances between everything because it's extremely well thought out that way and can get pretty intricate. The importance of places like Ceylon, Guadalcanal, and Port Moresby really come to the fore with the distances involved.