Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MossCoveredStones
Apr 26, 2020

LizzieBorden posted:

I've just remembered I have a recipe for a bamboo orb type thing, do you want one?

Nah I know how to make that one already, thanks for the kind offer though! If anyone happened to miss out on completing the cherry blossom set of furniture, wallpapers, flooring, pochette or even the wand I'm willing to help out.

Edit: Oh yeah I just remembered something else. MokBa, I can craft the ironwood chair for you if you would like, I do not, repeat, do not have the DIY card, however.

MossCoveredStones fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I sincerely don’t understand the point of tipping in this game at all, why should I demand that people must drop a load of bells just for visiting?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've got Pango in boxes right now, if any of you wants a peppy technicolor nightmare anteater. Shoot me a PM I suppose.

Also my Nooks are selling the throwback :skeltal: radio.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rodney is crafting a straw umbrella hat. If you want to look like a korok samurai, now's your chance. Dodo code: Closed

Able's has creepy fox ghost masks. Stuff for grabbing or cataloging on the beach, pick up whatever you shake from trees.

If you feel like it, please water the tulips by the airport. It's crazy how effective that seems to be.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 30, 2020

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

ulvir posted:

I sincerely don’t understand the point of tipping in this game at all, why should I demand that people must drop a load of bells just for visiting?

Yesterday I visited an island where all of the pathways were small, pixelated reddit rage faces and memes, and the island host chased me around demanding a tip.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. Stab posted:

I used ms paint to figure out my layout, but it often takes making something in game and looking at it to figure out what you want.

It's really up to you what you do. It can be easier to clear everything out and start with a blank canvas but if you already know exactly what you want, then you can save time by doing the minimum of work.

Some designer tips:

For small-medium projects, I like to lay them out in excel. One cell = one hole you can dig with a shovel, which is useful once you know things like the size of the buildings.

For example, this is how I planned out my flower garden:

It was originally bigger, but once I started counting cells I realized it just wasn't going to fit and I needed to tweak it. Glad I figured that in excel rather than halfway through planting it!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Think about how much you hate the plane cutscenes and then think about how many of them someone hosting an island with hot nips is watching

E. I didn't use it for anything major but I got linked this and it helped me get my housing project in order
https://eugeneration.github.io/HappyIslandDesigner/

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pump Jockey posted:

Yesterday I visited an island where all of the pathways were small, pixelated reddit rage faces and memes, and the island host chased me around demanding a tip.

big yike

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I already have Bam, he was my starter Jock. I love the lil guy but I hate that he's living in squalor in his starter home. If I want to get him his final home, can I just invite his Amiibo if he's already here, or do I need to do a swap where I invite another amiibo to take his place, only THEN inviting Bam to move in over top of them?

I have a feeling I know the answer. And yes, I realize it'll reset my friendship levels etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aw, my starter jock moved out today and he left his bright green DIY Bench in the recycle bin. I will remember you, Tad!! Every time I make another fuckin' Tool!!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
https://twitter.com/RollersnakeSA/status/1255904489590030336

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I've just seen that Admiral's descriptor is "cranky". That's outrageous! He's been nothing but pleasant to me & his neighbours since day one!

Why only this afternoon was he was giving the island's new policeman sage advice:

https://twitter.com/JProntis/status/1255905120681779200

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SeXReX posted:

Think about how much you hate the plane cutscenes and then think about how many of them someone hosting an island with hot nips is watching

Yeah basically if someone is shutting down their island just so you and 500 of your friends can make a million bells, it's polite to leave them something as a way of saying thank you.

That being said, this is a chill game so they really should be tips. Setting up a checkpoint to charge entry fees (or chasing people around) is gross and I'm glad goons aren't into that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Annath posted:

Does anyone have tips or guides on large scale island terraforming?

I have an image in my head of what I want my island to look like, but figuring out how to translate it into reality is overwhelming.

Is there an app or way to plan out the layout ahead of time?

Should I flatten everything then build up the tiers I want? Or try to edit the shape of the tiers already in place?

What do I do with my houses and buildings that are in the way while editing the landscape? Do I pay a buttload of bells to move them all to a corner and then again to move them to the final location?

There was a polygon article where someone did exactly this, and wrote about hating it.

- Unless you're time-traveling, moving everything and then moving everything back will take a month.
- Flattening everything and starting from scratch means that with most of your trees / flowers gone, you're going to get a bunch of tarantula spawns annoying you while you try to plan.
- If you do time-travel, you've got to deal with the event timers and turnips rotting and stuff, sounds like a big hassle.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Pierre McGuire posted:

Hi folks, Plorp Isle has turnips at 497 for the next ~1h 40m so I'll stay open till noon here (2pm eastern). Tips would be nice but are optional. My island is completely desolate right now because I've made it a blank slate to start mucking with this weekend.

https://turnip.exchange/island/9a4a05cf

Dropped you a gift behind Nooks just before my internet crashed. Hope it didn't screw anything up.

EDIT: VV sorry about that VV

Staggy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 30, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pierre McGuire posted:

Hi folks, Plorp Isle has turnips at 497 for the next ~1h 40m so I'll stay open till noon here (2pm eastern). Tips would be nice but are optional. My island is completely desolate right now because I've made it a blank slate to start mucking with this weekend.

Did your island go down? I got a connection error right when getting to the island

I'm Jack Veser and can't get in right now

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010

Pierre McGuire posted:

Just had a crash, gate is reopened with a new code - I'm watching the thread so LMK if you can't get in.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m opening up my island for a bit. Purrl is making golden dishes (she’s just northeast of the Cranny). Ables has mage dresses, Kicks is here (finally!) with black ballet slippers, turnips are garbage.

Please take as much as you like from DIY Beach. Isabelle keeps bothering me about it. I’ve got some spare bamboo grove walls, but most of it is trash.

Please mind the flowers and don’t put up anything in the store, thanks.

4Q51S

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pierre McGuire posted:

Just had a crash, gate is reopened with a new code - I'm watching the thread so LMK if you can't get in.

Thanks! I got in. Left a tip by the airport.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I've got Ruby in boxes today, if anybody wants her. Turnip prices are garbage and there otherwise isn't much else going on in Candor, but it IS raining. Stop on by if you'd like! Dodo code: 0B3CP.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
Opening up for a bit while I do some work.

Mabels: strappy heels, masquerade mask, cowboy shirt, miko attire, flashy jacket

Nooks: a freezer, typewriter and amp.

Turnips are 307

KK is in the plaza

Free stuff to the left, across bridge.

Reneigh was making iron worktable earlier.

Code: ARGH Communication Error. Booted. Tried two more times and keep getting that message.

Sorry to anyone booted. :(
I’ll try again later.

Bumblebee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2020

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Reminder that spawns change over to May at midnight, not 5am! Click the last chance tab to make sure you've caught everything that's about to stop spawning.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Pierre McGuire posted:

Thanks, left you some bells! Good luck with your redecorating this weekend.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

There was a polygon article where someone did exactly this, and wrote about hating it.

- Unless you're time-traveling, moving everything and then moving everything back will take a month.
- Flattening everything and starting from scratch means that with most of your trees / flowers gone, you're going to get a bunch of tarantula spawns annoying you while you try to plan.
- If you do time-travel, you've got to deal with the event timers and turnips rotting and stuff, sounds like a big hassle.

Time-traveling isn't that bad, and if you're really concerned about event spoilers you can just set up a groundhog-day type scenario:

1) Do whatever it is you need (set down the new house, pay for the incline, etc)
2) Save and close the game
3) Set the date back to yesterday
4) Open the game (if you're growing flowers you need to water them now)
5) Save and close the game
6) Set the date back to today

Repeat as needed.

MossCoveredStones
Apr 26, 2020
Got a spiffy new hat and mask, both weebtastic. I watered a pretty good sized swath of flowers before leaving. Tata for now everyone, Mossy Isle is closed until further notice.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Time-traveling isn't that bad, and if you're really concerned about event spoilers you can just set up a groundhog-day type scenario:

1) Do whatever it is you need (set down the new house, pay for the incline, etc)
2) Save and close the game
3) Set the date back to yesterday
4) Open the game (if you're growing flowers you need to water them now)
5) Save and close the game
6) Set the date back to today

Repeat as needed.
I've been time traveling a lot for the past few days to move my villagers around. Just now I accidentally made it May 31st and had a mini heart attack because I thought some of my villagers would move out. Luckily it looks like none of them moved out even with me being "gone" for a month. All I have to do now is pick all the weeds on the island.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Bumblebee posted:

Opening up for a bit while I do some work.

Mabels: strappy heels, masquerade mask, cowboy shirt, miko attire, flashy jacket

Nooks: a freezer, typewriter and amp.

Turnips are 307

KK is in the plaza

Free stuff to the left, across bridge.

Reneigh was making iron worktable earlier.

Code: M0R9M

I think you crashed.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I've been time traveling a lot for the past few days to move my villagers around. Just now I accidentally made it May 31st and had a mini heart attack because I thought some of my villagers would move out. Luckily it looks like none of them moved out even with me being "gone" for a month. All I have to do now is pick all the weeds on the island.

I don't think they can move out unless they talk to you and you tell them you want them to.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I think you crashed.

I did. Tried two more times and kept getting communication errors. I will try again in a bit. Sorry to anyone that was booted. :(

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never time traveled and I like that my goals will take several months since we're gonna be quarantined through August at a minimum

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Sprinkle told O'Hare to stop O'Haresplaining things to her and it was the best thing that ever happened.

Flo is now my hero as I've realized she's like a 33 year old former dirtbag.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Gave her the amiiboot today and she decided to craft nothing
https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1255917826268753920

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Bumblebee posted:

I did. Tried two more times and kept getting communication errors. I will try again in a bit. Sorry to anyone that was booted. :(

If you do get up and running again I’d appreciate it, my turnip prices cratered hard and Nook is closed tomorrow for renovations. :( I can leave gold as a tip. (Or a Coelecanth if that’s your bag)

I’m Bella Bun btw. I’m working on an orchard on my own island and will definitely invite Goons over once everything is fully blooming. :)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Chris Pistols posted:

I've just seen that Admiral's descriptor is "cranky". That's outrageous! He's been nothing but pleasant to me & his neighbours since day one!

Why only this afternoon was he was giving the island's new policeman sage advice:

https://twitter.com/JProntis/status/1255905120681779200

Cranky villagers have really been toned down since the earlier games.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
I'm going to open up SeaBreeze for a bit while I'm on lunch because Elsie is crafting a golden toilet. Come say hi and get yourself a throne. Code is:closed

Elsie is back left house, hang a left at resident services and she's second house.

Opals25 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 30, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ogmius815 posted:

Cranky villagers have really been toned down since the earlier games.

I watched a little bit of gameplay from the DS animal crossing and it's absurd how mean the villagers were. Not to mention Phyllis at the post office!!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I watched a little bit of gameplay from the DS animal crossing and it's absurd how mean the villagers were. Not to mention Phyllis at the post office!!
I think I read that Resetti for example created a lot of anxiety for some younger players.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Here is "Can You Feel It" by The Jacksons if you are also playing as the King of Pop:

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Chicken Doodle posted:

If you do get up and running again I’d appreciate it, my turnip prices cratered hard and Nook is closed tomorrow for renovations. :( I can leave gold as a tip. (Or a Coelecanth if that’s your bag)

I’m Bella Bun btw. I’m working on an orchard on my own island and will definitely invite Goons over once everything is fully blooming. :)

Open again. Waited a few min after opening and seems fine for now. Fingers crossed.

Bells are 307.
Code: CLOSED

Glad I could help a few goons out. And thanks for the tip!! :glomp:

Bumblebee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 30, 2020