Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

Even if it's not magical, the leg shouldn't impede her combat ability. This is the kind of setting where every other pirate has a hook, eye-patch, or peg leg and fights just fine. The prosthesis is essentially just aesthetics.

I am a little surprised that they didn't add any sort of advantageous trick to her leg. That would fit well with the whole Ravenloft monster hunter deal.

In real life now, advanced prosthetics are getting quite awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUn0-Bhb7U

Therefore, prosthetics in a world with vampires and magic should be a threat to be totally amazing. In basically any adventure storytelling, prosthetic limbs are at worst a mild bonus ability or something that enhances the character. Fuckin' Darth Vader has prosthetic limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's just jarring that when a fighter gets a prosthetic leg it's a weakness, but when a wizard gets a prosthetic eye and hand they suddenly become some kind of unstoppable necromancer demigod. Absolutely tragic and embarrassing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just lol if your druid doesn't have a tree arm

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Guess my next fighter should have his arm replaced with an experimental dwarven prosthetic Winter Soldier style.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
UA armorer artificer the armor explicitly can act as a prosthetic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There are some Warforged-only hidden weapon/rocket arm options that would work for a prosthesis too

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Warforged don't count though, they're not actually people.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Garrett from Thief got a cybereye and so can you.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In real life now, advanced prosthetics are getting quite awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUn0-Bhb7U

Therefore, prosthetics in a world with vampires and magic should be a threat to be totally amazing. In basically any adventure storytelling, prosthetic limbs are at worst a mild bonus ability or something that enhances the character. Fuckin' Darth Vader has prosthetic limbs.

Yeah, good point. Real world prosthetics are approaching sci-fi cyberware levels of awesome.

Cyberware should be the model for RPG prosthesis. Minus the whole "having prosthetics makes you less human" thing, of course.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's neat that they have to add the "no thanks" thing for characters with prostheses or missing parts in the game to counter the ready availability of spells that would instantly stick legs or arms on people as needed. This lady's real problem was not being in 4e or else some warlord woulda just yelled her leg back on years ago.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Prostethics were pretty awesome back in 2nd ed :black101:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of prosthetics and Artificer, I'll be playing Artificer for the first time in a game starting this weekend. I was flipping through the Artificer Infusions table and saw prosthetics, which is extremely cool. Then I found the Weapon and Wand Sheath infusions and they were slightly more confusing? They seem to exist only to prevent you from being disarmed or in the case of the wand sheath, potentially conceal something (which if we're talking wands, it seems like putting one in a coat would be less conspicuous than having a Rube Goldberg wand launcher gauntlet).

Seeing as you would need to use one of your Infusions Known slots to have the option along with one of your more limited Infused Item slots taken up to make it... what's the advantage here? I was reading through and expecting it to say "you can count that hand as free" instead of the opposite. Replacing a missing limb is a huge deal but a magic item that lets you use a regular battleaxe that can't be disarmed... isn't.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Zodack posted:

Speaking of prosthetics and Artificer, I'll be playing Artificer for the first time in a game starting this weekend. I was flipping through the Artificer Infusions table and saw prosthetics, which is extremely cool. Then I found the Weapon and Wand Sheath infusions and they were slightly more confusing? They seem to exist only to prevent you from being disarmed or in the case of the wand sheath, potentially conceal something (which if we're talking wands, it seems like putting one in a coat would be less conspicuous than having a Rube Goldberg wand launcher gauntlet).

Seeing as you would need to use one of your Infusions Known slots to have the option along with one of your more limited Infused Item slots taken up to make it... what's the advantage here? I was reading through and expecting it to say "you can count that hand as free" instead of the opposite. Replacing a missing limb is a huge deal but a magic item that lets you use a regular battleaxe that can't be disarmed... isn't.

wand sheath: fairly good. you can hold the wand in the sheath while keeping your hands free to hold a large bucket of lemons(useful in orchard campaigns). if you have a wand, its basically free attunement too since you are attuning to the wand presumably anyway. i do not know what you are talking about with weapon sheath infusions though

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

Guess my next fighter should have his arm replaced with an experimental dwarven prosthetic Winter Soldier style.

Sekiro-rear end rogue

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Sekiro-rear end rogue

Is that a rogue with a prosthetic rear end that fires grappling hooks and flamethrowers

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Glagha posted:

Is that a rogue with a prosthetic rear end that fires grappling hooks and flamethrowers

It is now :getin:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah, the point of view I was taking is because nothing in the wording suggests she's ashamed of it, this was something applied by the OP in the tweet simply because it's listed under her "secrets", which also include her having a sizable fortune. So if you're rich enough to consider your coffers a fortune, why not... go further than just a new leg?

The main failing is they don't say how she makes use of it, just that she covers it up (and not even HOW, pants leg?) It simply restoring her mobility (walking, running, climbing, fighting etc) maybe seemed exceptional enough upon first draft. That was a failing, you can always go further. (This was after all a book produced twelve years after the Van Helsing movie came out, they have no excuse. Also fight me, the movie was as fun as it was bad.) I almost imagine a short d6 table you could roll or pick from where she has additional equipment stowed away within the prosthetic. Wooden/Silver stakes, jug of holy water, blessed candles, salt.

Or go even more wilder, since as someone said it almost looks like it could be some kind of dwarven metal as much as it is wood. Put a damned cannon in the boot of the thing! That might be the best argument for her covering it with a pants leg, because when she steps on a downed enemy with it/balances it on something to aim/uses it to perform an extra acrobatic feat the monsters/people likely wouldn't realize she's pulling a mechanism through the right pocket of her pants to fire.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

pog boyfriend posted:

wand sheath: fairly good. you can hold the wand in the sheath while keeping your hands free to hold a large bucket of lemons(useful in orchard campaigns). if you have a wand, its basically free attunement too since you are attuning to the wand presumably anyway. i do not know what you are talking about with weapon sheath infusions though

I didn't see that it was hands free unlike the weapon sheath, that is useful!

For infusions, my only exposure to those items are through Artificer, who can create them. But like Wizards with spells, Artificers can only know a limited number of infusions, one of which is Replicate Magic Item. If you take that infusion you select an item you know how to replicate, and Wand Sheath was on the list. It didn't seem worth using one of my infusions to make (and maintain) and item with low usefulness, since if you use over your max infusions the oldest disappears.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Richard Lee Byers' The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy for Forgotten Realms features a protagonist who lost most of his limbs in a dragon attack as a child and had them replaced with iron golem prosthesis by an evil wizard from Hillsfar who forced him to fight in its gladiator pits in exchange. I always thought that guy was a great way to include a "warforged" PC in an FR campaign.

Also, at the end he loses his iron golem limbs to a rust dragon's breath attack, but goes on to be a heroic kick rear end without them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

please knock Mom! posted:

Warforged don't count though, they're not actually people.

now thats problematic

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Zodack posted:

I didn't see that it was hands free unlike the weapon sheath, that is useful!

For infusions, my only exposure to those items are through Artificer, who can create them. But like Wizards with spells, Artificers can only know a limited number of infusions, one of which is Replicate Magic Item. If you take that infusion you select an item you know how to replicate, and Wand Sheath was on the list. It didn't seem worth using one of my infusions to make (and maintain) and item with low usefulness, since if you use over your max infusions the oldest disappears.

i would not likely use it as an infusion, but if you get a really good wand i could see it. it is very situational, and the situation is: eberron campaign with lots of wands

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm picturing someone being held prisoner and just shooting their wand out of the sheath and into someone's neck Assassin's Creed-style

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is my new Warforged character, his name is Mazinger Z.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Daric posted:

To take this thread in a different direction:

I've been downloading every single free piece of material they've released on the DnD website and several of them have come with .mod files. I can't get these to play, even using VLC. I'm assuming they're just audio but I don't really know. Anyone else have a clue how to get these to play?

.mod is a Fantasy Grounds module. Maps, encounters, adventure text, all the poo poo to run with no prep (not sure if all the art is there but I have run several AL modules via FG mod and they have been really nice and complete for the most part)

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Does anyone houserule the base move actions to be more like 4E?

I hate so much that Disengage is an Action. I hate hate hate it. It creates terribly unfun encounters with little movement. The 4E "a move action is shift 1 or move your speed" was just so much better. If I just put that in 5E does it break anything else in the game that I have to think about ahead of time before I do it?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I've got three questions for your own question.

1. Do you have a Monk in the party?

2. Do you have a Rogue in the party?

3. Do you have a Goblin?

If none of these apply, feel free to change it without giving any further thought. But if you do have a rogue or a monk it can be a little more tricky. Since they have class features that allow them to disengage as a bonus action. Goblins, whether playable or NPCs, have a feature that also lets them disengage as a bonus action.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sarx posted:

Does anyone houserule the base move actions to be more like 4E?

I hate so much that Disengage is an Action. I hate hate hate it. It creates terribly unfun encounters with little movement. The 4E "a move action is shift 1 or move your speed" was just so much better. If I just put that in 5E does it break anything else in the game that I have to think about ahead of time before I do it?

I don't get it. What do you think adding the ol' 5ft step adds to the game?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If everybody has a functionally free disengage, "tanking" is gonna be even *less* of a thing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fsmhunk posted:

This is my new Warforged character, his name is Mazinger Z.

I have vague plans for a warforged bard named LIN-AUTOMATIC-MIRANDA

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Toshimo posted:

I don't get it. What do you think adding the ol' 5ft step adds to the game?

It makes spellcasters stronger

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

barkbell posted:

It makes spellcasters stronger

How?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It makes any ranged attacker stronger because they are able to slide out of adjacency before making a ranged attack (thus avoiding disadvantage). It doesn't actually affect save-based spells that much.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It lets spellcasters weave out of combat without taking hits or having to think about positioning as much. It also nerfs shocking grasp, though

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If everybody has a functionally free disengage, "tanking" is gonna be even *less* of a thing.

This is a very good point... I forgot that 5E has no mechanics for tanking basically.

My post may have been momentary frustration just trying to have fun with this edition of the game that I want to like so much more than I do.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sarx posted:

This is a very good point... I forgot that 5E has no mechanics for tanking basically.

most dnd games do not have mechanics for tanking, as a rule. 4e had marking, but 5e also has a similar thing on some class features(swashbuckler panache, ancestral guardian protectors, etc). 5e also has things like the sentinel feat, polearm master, war caster + crowd control abilities, et cetera. but all of this kind of goes away if disengage is made free(and that also makes certain classes unhappy).

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

pog boyfriend posted:

most dnd games do not have mechanics for tanking, as a rule. 4e had marking, but 5e also has a similar thing on some class features(swashbuckler panache, ancestral guardian protectors, etc). 5e also has things like the sentinel feat, polearm master, war caster + crowd control abilities, et cetera. but all of this kind of goes away if disengage is made free(and that also makes certain classes unhappy).

I don't want it to be free, I want it to use your move instead of your action for the turn. But yes, now that I've slept and thought about it more, it has too many ripple effects throughout the system to just houserule it simply.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Spitballing an idea, with very little thought put into it.

Rather than burning an action, let them burn an "attack".

So a caster still has to burn their entire action to move, but if you have Extra Attack you just have to forgo one of your attacks to disengage. Or maybe limit that move to a 5ft shuffle or something.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

pog boyfriend posted:

The 5e DMG also has a variant rule for marking:

DMG, pg. 257 posted:

This option makes it easier for melee combatants to harry each other with opportunity attacks. When a creature makes a melee attack, it can also mark its target. Until the end of the attacker's next turn, any opportunity attack it makes against the marked target has advantage. The opportunity attack doesn't expend the attacker's reaction, but the attacker can't make the attack if anything, such as the incapacitated condition or the shocking grasp spell, is preventing it from taking reactions. The attacker is limited to one opportunity attack per turn.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sarx posted:

I don't want it to be free, I want it to use your move instead of your action for the turn. But yes, now that I've slept and thought about it more, it has too many ripple effects throughout the system to just houserule it simply.

Have the party be a group of roving goblins. It'll be fun and will functionally ensure the that everyone has constant disengage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kaal posted:

Have the party be a group of roving goblins. It'll be fun and will functionally ensure the that everyone has constant disengage.

So what should I be doing differently with my goblin? I'm not even sure what disengage is, despite having read the Basic Rules to try to figure it out. (But I also had to find, and print out, what ended up being an eight-page long explanation of action, bonus action, reaction, etc. Clearly my sons and my neighbor are lucky they've never played before and can't compare me to other DMs.)