Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

I just cracked out the GOTY edition from GOG and forced the unfiltered textures in the d3d10 renderer. It's not bad in 4k.

That said, the first level is weirdly hard to get into again. Something about large open spaces and the weirdly opaque stealth mechanism, I haven't got the feel for it yet.

The first level of the game is the best level but it’s in the worst spot. You have so many options but haven’t really been able to get familiar with them yet. I have a hard time with it when I’m picking the game up for the first time in a while too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That said, the first level is weirdly hard to get into again. Something about large open spaces and the weirdly opaque stealth mechanism, I haven't got the feel for it yet.

All stealth games need an MGS style soliton radar or the visibility indicator for my money. I prefer to know if I can be seen or not.

Would a biomod for a radar have been a good idea? If you got it too late in the game it'd probably be too late as you'd be a murdergod by then anyway.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just cracked out the GOTY edition from GOG and forced the unfiltered textures in the d3d10 renderer. It's not bad in 4k.

How do you pull this off? I tried googling and poking around in the .ini files, but didn't find a switch that would do what I want. I'm on the Steam GOTY version, that seems to have different internals than the GOG one, though.

edit: Figured it out! After installing Kentie's D3D 10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/), go to Deus Ex/System/d3d10drv and open up unrealpool.fxh in editor of your choice. Comment out the last if statement so it looks like this

code:
//if(flags&PF_NoSmooth)
{
diffuse = diffusePoint;
}
and enjoy your new HD graphics by Lego™.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Paul Denton is a new trance talent from Ireland who’s getting a lot of attention lately from the big hitters in the trance scene. His iDentify radio show has gotten him fans worldwide, where he debuts regular original tracks and reworks that are totally exclusive to his sets. Tracks such as Searching The Sky and ‘Say My Name’ with Audrey Gallagher under his Flynn & Denton duo project have stood out clearly over 24 months and highlighted Paul’s ear for a good record. Tipped by Aly & Fila, John O’Callaghan, John Askew amongst others: Paul Denton is a name to watch closely.

I’m a big fan of his most explosive work, “A Quiet Takedown (GEP Gun)”.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea the first level of the game is a great stand-alone demo, where every mechanic is at play in a self-contained world (think Fallout's Scrapheap demo). As a first level of a video game, however, it has pretty serious flaws.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It has that rogue like “first level is the hardest” quality, despite not being a rogue like. Liberty Island is one of, if not the best levels in all of gaming history, but maybe it should have happened after the first trip to NYC proper?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

barbecue at the folks posted:

How do you pull this off? I tried googling and poking around in the .ini files, but didn't find a switch that would do what I want. I'm on the Steam GOTY version, that seems to have different internals than the GOG one, though.

edit: Figured it out! After installing Kentie's D3D 10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/), go to Deus Ex/System/d3d10drv and open up unrealpool.fxh in editor of your choice. Comment out the last if statement so it looks like this

code:
//if(flags&PF_NoSmooth)
{
diffuse = diffusePoint;
}

Sorry, just saw your post. Yeah, that's what I'm using, the d3d10 renderer and the modified shader file. Works a treat.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

All stealth games need an MGS style soliton radar or the visibility indicator for my money. I prefer to know if I can be seen or not.

Would a biomod for a radar have been a good idea? If you got it too late in the game it'd probably be too late as you'd be a murdergod by then anyway.

Any kind of "in cover" indicator would have been good. Hell, a Thief style light gem probably would have been fine. As it is, you're not visible in shadow, unless you are, you're also not visible in broad daylight outside of a certain range, line of sight or no, until you do something that gets their attention. You can basically run up to them full speed and they won't hear you until you're maybe six feet away. It's weird to get used to.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

It has that rogue like “first level is the hardest” quality, despite not being a rogue like. Liberty Island is one of, if not the best levels in all of gaming history, but maybe it should have happened after the first trip to NYC proper?

It just dumps you into the game with a whole lot of options, and space, and you get to figure out what to do with it. In theory I like it, but it's definitely overwhelming the first time through.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

barbecue at the folks posted:

code:
//if(flags&PF_NoSmooth)
{
diffuse = diffusePoint;
}

I misread Steam as “switch” because that word was right above it in the mobile app. If DX was on the Switch I’d probably keep mine instead of selling it, that game would rule on a portable.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mankind Divided released DRM-free on GOG, if anyone's interested.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I did ask for this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I did ask for this.

Oh shut up, I laughed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Mankind Divided released DRM-free on GOG, if anyone's interested.

Did they fix the thing where the DLC items could only be applied to one save with the DRM change? That was so stupid.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
'Aug Lives Matter' was definitely up there with the Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial as one of the more avoidable social media minefields

Pretty great game though, cant wait for Square Enix to dust the franchise off again.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did they fix the thing where the DLC items could only be applied to one save with the DRM change? That was so stupid.

I got such anxiety over this that I never used any of the bonus items

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Eason the Fifth posted:

'Aug Lives Matter' was definitely up there with the Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial as one of the more avoidable social media minefields

"Aug Lives Matter" only ever existed as a single sign in a single piece of concept art. The people who laughed at chuds getting mad that a single piece of Human Revolution concept art had George W Bush on a wanted poster turned around and the totally outdid them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
How long has that dipshit Elon Musk had the Deus Ex boxart as his twitter picture

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Who cares?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Evidently not you!

I wonder if he's trying to make a cackhanded correlation between the gray death and covid 19 given his recent comments about America being a fascist state is all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's also just a gamer and might like it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Please show some respect, the Hong Kong bartender is his dad

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wait a second... wasn't the name Bob Page supposed to be reminiscent of Bill Gates? And Deus Ex predicted 9/11.... :aaaaa: :psyduck:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Deus Ex's shtick was 'every single conspiracy theory is true', turns out that with a target that wide, you're going to land a few hits.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always thought it was super weird that Warren Spector made Deus Ex, does nothing for 10 years and then makes Epic Mickey? There's obviously some sort of time traveling body snatcher shenanigans happening here.

All I'm sayin is, if 'terrorists' end up blowing up the Statue of Liberty I'm bout to freak the gently caress out

edit: And now Disney is primed to take over the world. Coincidence?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 30, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He was making some ninja game as an independent dev, then it got canceled and the studio got bought out by Disney.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deus Ex's shtick was 'every single conspiracy theory is true', turns out that with a target that wide, you're going to land a few hits.

I wonder what a Deus Ex that was made today would look like. Conspiracy theories just aren’t as fun anymore, I miss when it was all black helicopters and alien coverups by shadowy councils.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I wonder what a Deus Ex that was made today would look like. Conspiracy theories just aren’t as fun anymore, I miss when it was all black helicopters and alien coverups by shadowy councils.

The NSF gets replaced by Qanon and the Proud Boys :barf:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The newer Deus Ex games clumsily spun it into an augmented human discrimination narrative, so you kind of have your answer.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

The newer Deus Ex games clumsily spun it into an augmented human discrimination narrative, so you kind of have your answer.

Yeah, I was gonna say that all they have left are "man with superhuman implants". All the surrounding story stuff has happened. I honestly think you could find modern armoured police in places that pretty much look like the ones in Prague (not the mechs etc obvs).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Angry_Ed posted:

The NSF gets replaced by Qanon and the Proud Boys :barf:

I wonder; how's a guy with a tattooed forehead get to be a Proud Boys colonel? Pardon me, but back in Alabama we wouldn't let a man who wears earrings plan a military operation.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

I meant in the sense of a game that just takes every conspiracy theory it can get its hands on and jams them together, possibly while listening to Art Bell. 90’s and 2000 conspiracy theories were kind of fun. Now the best one we have is what, they’re making the frogs gay? It’s all false flag poo poo about very real dead kids and insane QAnon stuff now.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Watching a friend play through Deus Ex was fun up until it started dropping Rothschild poo poo and I remembered that a lot of global conspiracy theories eventually boil down to "The Jews" so that was a little uncomfortable in retrospect.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glagha posted:

Watching a friend play through Deus Ex was fun up until it started dropping Rothschild poo poo and I remembered that a lot of global conspiracy theories eventually boil down to "The Jews" so that was a little uncomfortable in retrospect.

Huh?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I meant in the sense of a game that just takes every conspiracy theory it can get its hands on and jams them together, possibly while listening to Art Bell. 90’s and 2000 conspiracy theories were kind of fun. Now the best one we have is what, they’re making the frogs gay? It’s all false flag poo poo about very real dead kids and insane QAnon stuff now.

i got one word for you, buddy: epstein

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This is probably just the result of me knowing too much about gross antisemitic poo poo but like, they specifically mention the Rothschilds as part of the Illuminati conspiracy poo poo in Deus Ex and that's like, one of the older "wealthy jews control the world" conspiracies which is pretty uncomfortable now that antisemites are a lot more public these days.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Glagha posted:

There's literally one line when one of the old illuminati guys (Everett?) says over your comlink that he was once kneeling at the altar of the ancient church you're going through next to a Rothschild. It stays far away from anything even adjacent to antisemitism

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 30, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I should be clear this wasn't intended as a dig at Deus Ex or an accusation of antisemitism it was just like "oh woof this is less of a fun conspiracy reference in the modern day"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
90s TV shows like the X-Files and Dark Skies made conspiracy stuff fun. UFOs! Aliens! Majestic-12! I remember downloading supposed US Government documents about things like MKUltra and stargates at secret bases in the Adirondacks and it was great reading.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Same game but instead of Area 51 as the last level it's Page's underage sex island that gets nuked and invaded.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We've already built a globe spanning AI panopticon, it's just dumb as hell and tries to sell you toilet seat covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

We've already built a globe spanning AI panopticon, it's just dumb as hell and tries to sell you toilet seat covers.

"A 55-GALLON DRUM OF LUBRICANT; YES. YOU FEEL SOMETHING...I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FEELING."