Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

You left an awful lot of mohawk dye on the table for someone who wanted black trenchcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Exculpatrix posted:

I'm running an urban fantasy sort of thing, following half a dozen dysfunction wizard-addicts. I've been GMing for this group across various campaigns for about 6 years now, and somehow I still haven't learned that they will always take the most terrible/stupid option.
Players, being driven entirely by the fickle and capricious whims of errant desire, will always take the chance to not only do the most ridiculous thing possible, but will likely invent whole new vistas of madness just to go even deeper into insanity than you previously thought possible.

It's great.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
^^^ This.

I am running a campaign for a trio of kids (remember MoanHowlMoan?) and the version of their fantasy is really endearing. They just don't have the capacity or world experience to mess with the Pope.

Instead the twelve year old fantasy is much more revealing: One player really wants to "sass" every NPC he meets. "Agrikk, can I sass that guy? Be REALLY sarcastic?" Sure, go ahead, but he might attack you. "Cool!" says my son. "I can't wait to stab him because my plus is so huge now!"

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Players, being driven entirely by the fickle and capricious whims of errant desire, will always take the chance to not only do the most ridiculous thing possible, but will likely invent whole new vistas of madness just to go even deeper into insanity than you previously thought possible.

It's great.

True that. It doesn't help that one of the characters is an entropomancer and literally gains magical power by taking wildly unnecessary risks. Which once lead to him going "What happens if I pull this cable out?" while the party were negotiating with a man who had a bunch of Semtex hooked up to a dead man's switch. Explosions. Explosions were what happened when he pulled that cable out. And this is why the party can't go back to Canada.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Exculpatrix posted:

Explosions. Explosions were what happened when he pulled that cable out. And this is why the party can't go back to Canada.

And nothing of value was lost. :v:

But yeah, it reminds me of the saying, something along the lines of "The DM always has plans up until it interacts with the players."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I solve this dilemma by never having plans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Agrikk posted:

^^^ This.

I am running a campaign for a trio of kids (remember MoanHowlMoan?) and the version of their fantasy is really endearing. They just don't have the capacity or world experience to mess with the Pope.

Instead the twelve year old fantasy is much more revealing: One player really wants to "sass" every NPC he meets. "Agrikk, can I sass that guy? Be REALLY sarcastic?" Sure, go ahead, but he might attack you. "Cool!" says my son. "I can't wait to stab him because my plus is so huge now!"

I love this story and those kids.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aniodia posted:

And nothing of value was lost. :v:

But yeah, it reminds me of the saying, something along the lines of "The DM always has plans up until it interacts with the players."
That would be "no plan survives contact with the enemy players." And it's so true. I generally have a plan for the first session, a very general plan for some kind of ending, and then a bunch of "well if the players don't interfere, X does Y which causes Z" written down. I make sure that the players know X exists and a general idea of what it/they might be fomenting, such that they can pick what they find compelling/important to investigate. And then they either make things worse, make things better, or (most often) make one thing better by making several other things worse.

I usually don't have to put much effort into scripting a plot out after session 3 or so.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

That would be "no plan survives contact with the enemy players." And it's so true. I generally have a plan for the first session, a very general plan for some kind of ending, and then a bunch of "well if the players don't interfere, X does Y which causes Z" written down. I make sure that the players know X exists and a general idea of what it/they might be fomenting, such that they can pick what they find compelling/important to investigate. And then they either make things worse, make things better, or (most often) make one thing better by making several other things worse.

I usually don't have to put much effort into scripting a plot out after session 3 or so.

I went into this campaign with a starting premise for why there were all back together (It's the sequel campaign to one I ran years ago. Everyone loved that game, and I said I'd only bring it back if there was a really good reason.) I had no idea what the middle or the end would be. Somewhere around session 15 I started to put together an ending based on the plot threads they were tugging on. We're at about session 50 now, and I think maybe 15-20 away from an actual finale.

For those who are curious: The original campaign was all about finding the power to define the "New American Century" and scope out the next chunk of history in their image. The party ended up breaking the cycle of history by using it to stop anyone in the future having that same power, and also making their own lives happy and perfect. We started the new campaign with all of them in a mental hospital after their perfect lives had gone wrong. They just recently discovered that there was a world in between the first campaign and the current campaign. In the between world an apocalyptic threat happened but they were all too perfect and lovely to deal with it. So eventually they used the last of their power to reset the world one final time, and curse themselves to always be magnets for drama. So this time round the apocalypse is still looming, only now they've had a few years of suffering to toughen up and deal with it. And that's where we come in.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Also, if anyone is curious, I have half a dozen campaigns with roughly the same core group of players. They've definitely been my favourite people to game with, and I hope their stories might entertain all of y'all. (Some of these campaigns overlapped, hence having 5 multi-year games with the same people in the space of 6 years.)

We have:

The original UA: A campaign using the Unknown Armies mechanics, but making the world a bit more magic. Heavily influenced by the early seasons of Supernatural.
Axis Milo: An urban fantasy game set in a magical city in the secret heart of New York. We started with all of the players in high school, by the end they were tackling Lilith.
Void Feather: A fish out of water sci-fi game. Farscape meets Simon R Green's Deathstalker series. This campaign never got a real conclusion, because of schedule issues, but still had some moments along the way.
Cajun Mike's: Another UA game, semi-sequel to the first, centred around my favourite New Orleans dive bar. Saw an entire session devoted to the debate over whether or not it was okay to shoot another PC in the foot for magical power if it was really important. (This campaign lead to my favourite gift ever: one of the players made me a little diorama of all the PCs stood outside the bar they owned.)
The new UA: This is the true follow up to the first one, and is the game where they now own the Pope.

So yeah, which one would people like stories from?

Also, every game has featured at least one Christmas special. Whatever the date in character, the last game before Christmas is always festive themed. It's become increasingly hard to come up with new festive plots, so they've gotten increasingly niche.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Posting content is always good, but maybe start either at the beginning or with a favorite or two from the highlight reel

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I vote for starting at the beginning. I like the storytelling.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Not sure where else to put this, but would like to vent about a current game.

A few months ago, an old friend & colleague started up a D&D game. Made a shared character w/ spouse and for a while it was fine, but I'm finding it increasingly tedious & bothersome.

One problem, a large one, centers on another player. He & the DM are relatives, & the Player frequently is the center of play. He made a hybrid/everyman type of character so each role of the game he can do, but not particularly well. Face, healer, rouge, striker, utility, skill checks; all him. He gets side quests & seems to have appointed himself as leader of the group. The rest of us sit on the sidelines until it is time to roll in combat.

So far, 'The DM's Wife/Girlfriend/_________", Job Usurper, and a Spotlight Hog.

He also just got a familiar, which is fine; but now his turns take longer because he has two things to Control. I think he's trying to be endearing with his pet wolf, but it comes off more annoying than anything.

He also knows a lot about the rules, so is acting as Assistant DM. Including dictating to the rest of us our own Characters' races, capabilities, attributes & even actions on one memorable occasion.

So adding Assistant DM & Controller to the list of issues.

The DM is also not great. He is a nice person, but I'm learning he's not a particularly strong DM. We're running a scripted adventure and he's deviated from it a bit, which is fine as it adds some personal flavor, but it is quickly becoming a slog. We're still low level, but have progressed to just before the setting mid-point and are grossly under-leveled & under-equipped. He every so often tells us to level up, rather than gaining experience points, which means the PCs cannot determine their own advancement. It's kind of sporadic. We also did not receive any treasure until last session after months of play, and the Player mentioned above was the first to claim things he could use, even before we knew what they did or who they were geared towards.

This came into sharp focus last session when we were attacked by some low level fish folk mobs. They managed to get 3 of us down to making Death Saves after two rounds & our healer was only saved from being killed by DM fiat- that they dragged him away, only to return with him later, fully healed & in time for a boss fight. I was skimming the DMG thereafter & found a table of damage per encounter and we are much, much too low level for these types of damage output.

I figure one of us is going to get killed soon, and I am sort of hoping it is our character.

Lastly, the DM has yet to give us a chance to rest up, roleplay or buy items in town. Like I said, a slog hither & yon.

I mentioned wanting to talk to the DM privately about it, but spouse said not to as she didn't see the issue or think it would help. I suppose I will quit playing for the time being, which is unfortunate but no gaming is more appealing than bad gaming just now.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Fair, in which case, let me introduce y'all to the game with which this group started, and your cast of characters.

(Note for Unknown Armies fans: this game used the UA mechanics and took some inspiration from the themes in the book, but wasn't running entirely purely with the lore as set out by Stoltz et al. Notably, in this version of things there was only one of any given type of adept in the world, rather than schools. That was to make the PCs feel more special.)

So we have
Amber-Lynn Hemingway: The epideromancer. She gains magical mojo through a cheeky little sport of self harm. She's quiet, nervous, and has never gone more than 5 miles from where she grew up. She lives in her parents' old home, inherited after they died, and teaches English at the same school they all attended as kids. Has two pet ferrets, Jeph and Jeff.
Lacey Turner: The kleptomancer. Steals for kicks. Trailer trash, grifter, spent the last decade drifting around Louisiana stealing poo poo.
Ray Martin: Looks like the Rock. Wants to be a pro motocross rider, but actually works in insurance adjustment. Adrenaline junkie whose greatest fear is a slow death, ever since watching his father die of Leukaemia. Unsurprisingly, Ray is the entropomancer who takes risks for mojo.
Jack: Just Jack. An oneiromancer, whose dreamy powers are fuelled by insomnia. Can't sleep, not since the things she saw while serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan.
Marcel Bronte: Man of a thousand identities. As a personamancer he gains mojo by pretending to be other people. A con artist by trade, he's put on so many different masks at this point that he isn't entirely sure Marcel is even his original name.
Theresa Le Carre: Therapist. Hardcore bitch. Hates all her patients. Irascimancer - she gets power by making others angry, but loses it if she ever feels anger herself. Used to be married, it didn't work out, on account of she's the worst.

We start out on Halloween, 2008, New Orleans. It's been 10 years since the members of the group really all hung out together. They used to be close in school but life happened, people went in different directions, y'know? But it so happens that the school's 10 year reunion is organised right next to Halloween, so it seems like a good time for everyone to get together. And note: At this point none of them are adepts, no one has any magical talents, or any knowledge of the occult. They're just old friends getting back together for the first time in a long time.

Very first scene of the game: It's about 3am, they've all ended up back at Amber's house after a night out on Frenchman Street. And this rear end in a top hat dressed as a zombie who had been creeping on them all night is there in the living room. So someone shoved him, he went through a glass coffee table, caught his head on a wall. Neck went round at a wrong angle. And the ferrets are chewing on him. Not much blood though.
There's a lot of freaking out, a lot of "poo poo, is he dead?"
"His head is on backwards, of course he's dead."
They check him for ID, he doesn't have any. They try to peak under his mask, he's not actually wearing one. They start to realise that something is off, that this guy should have been dead a long time before they killed him, judging by his wounds. Only, y'know, they can't just tell the cops that, right? No, it would be a lot of trouble. And Lacey and Marcel definitely both have warrants.
So Lacey, Jack and Marcel load the corpse into the back of a car, with the plan of driving it out to a swamp and ditching it. Why did they send the two wanted criminals with the corpse? Who knows why players do things. You will be shocked to learn that things did not go to plan. A few failed driving roles and a lot of swearing later, they get pulled over for a busted tail light. And, when it becomes obvious that they've all been out drinking and are all well over the limit, the officers demand to search the car. Well, that won't do, there's a corpse in there. So Marcel, being closest, dives back in, floors it. Lacey and Jack run a distraction while he gets away. And when I say run a distraction I mean they try to climb over someone's garden fence, fail, and get arrested.

Meanwhile! The rest of the party have decided to backtrack to the places they visited that night, find out if anyone else saw their stalker/victim. They get to the first bar and find it closed off, with ambulances outside, police, lots of body bags. And listening to what people are saying, some dude in a zombie costume flipped out, tore people apart? Only that couldn't have been their guy, it happened at the exact same time that they killed the dude in the house. There's two of them? Well that's not good. Is it a cult or something? Ray wants to investigate further, but they get a call from Marcel, who fills them in on how badly that whole side of things had gone wrong.

A plan is formed! Theresa is a licensed therapist, she'll turn up at the police station, claim that Lacey and and Jack are two of her patients, they were on day release, and would the officers please release them into her custody. They can't be held responsible for their actions, who let them get drunk? Of course that will interfere with their medication.

This plan, also, does not work. Along the way Amber gets a call from an unknown number. A voice on the other end introduces himself as Clem, says this is all his fault. He never meant for things to turn out this way, but there about a dozen of those zombies whose only goal now is to hunt them down and kill them. Could they please all get over to his place on the edge of town so he can help.
The group are naturally dubious about this. But if it's true it's even more reason to get Lacey and Jack out of prison. They can't very well leave them to be eaten.

Long story short, by the time everyone unites at the police station the zombies have arrived and the police are entirely unequipped to deal with this. A detective, who looked almost, but not entirely, unlike Morgan Freeman, had been interrogating Lacey when poo poo kicked off. By the time everyone else got there he was bleeding out in the processing area, his left arm torn off (Detective Marcus would end up becoming a recurring threat). The party get Lacey and Jack out of custody, fight their way through some zombies, and then Lacey in the first of many "Why the gently caress would you do that?" decisions of the campaign, decides to steal Det. Marcus' severed arm. Why? Who knows. It didn't even gain her any mojo, as it had no monetary value. Everyone else was weirded out by it, and she ended up throwing it in a trash can a few minutes later. You know I said Det. Marcus became a recurring threat? This is why. He would have just died quietly if someone hadn't stolen his goddamn arm instead of offering him medical support or even some dying solace.

The party hightails it to the address they've been given, loaded down with stolen police firearms, fully expecting an ambush. What they find is Clem. Clem went to highschool with all of them, though no one really remembers him. Clem has been deep into the occult, and his older brother is a monster hunter (and, currently, AWOL). Also, Clem maybe raised all these zombies because he was lonely ever since his brother left. And he sent them to follow the party because they were the only nice people he knew from highschool. He can't go out himself - he was paralysed from the waist down during Katrina - so he experiences life directly through his undead minions. And Halloween is the one time of the year they can walk around unnoticed. He's very sorry, but how was he to know that they'd kill one? The shock of that shorted out his control, and now all the rest are on a violent rampage with just one goal: Eat the party.

(Clem was only ever meant to be an introductory NPC, to get the party rolling. I fully expected him to die in the second session. He did not. This was when I learned that my players will adopt loving anything if I let them, and form deep bonds with the weirdest of people/cats/decorative gourds. Clem ended up as a pivotal NPC for the entire campaign.)

And that's where session 1 ended.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kumo posted:

I mentioned wanting to talk to the DM privately about it, but spouse said not to as she didn't see the issue or think it would help. I suppose I will quit playing for the time being, which is unfortunate but no gaming is more appealing than bad gaming just now.
I would absolutely talk to the DM about all of this, because how else is he going to learn? Some people are perfectly happy playing the sidekick, or only want to contribute to combat, or otherwise think all the problems you listed aren't problems. That doesn't mean they aren't problems, or you should just soak it up; it means you have to explicitly tell the DM "hey, this is bullshit, you need to change X, Y, and Z." And if he doesn't, then you quit.

I would also have you and your wife make separate characters but that's because having >1 person playing a single character is so :psyduck: to me. How does that even work?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If nothing else, the guy deserves to hear why you want to quit the game.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I would also have you and your wife make separate characters but that's because having >1 person playing a single character is so :psyduck: to me. How does that even work?

We play online & the site sets limits on the number of players. We each take turns sitting in for an hour or two. It's fine, fun & the smallest of issues. Frankly, it's nice to do something together in an interest we share.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kumo posted:

We play online & the site sets limits on the number of players. We each take turns sitting in for an hour or two. It's fine, fun & the smallest of issues. Frankly, it's nice to do something together in an interest we share.
That's really weird. I thought roll20 was crap but setting a limit on the number of players? You could have the DM assign your one "player" slot two characters while you share a mic/keyboard. Or just move to a site that is less garbage. Hell, you could use discord for voice and any sort of sandbox with an upload image feature if need be. Although I suppose if the DM can't get his poo poo figured out re: all of these issues, it'll be a moot point soon enough.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

A Visitor in the Dark

With my cheek on fire and throbbing, we return to Sanitation HQ and continue with our various activities: Severance continues to patrol with the Brownshirts and master his two segments of the Rod of Law, Ospar disappears to train with the Legitimate Businessman’s Guild and the Temple of Hextor, Snakeeyes spends time on the Docks managing his business interests there, I spend my time in Demonomicon research and Markennon heads back to the wine, women and song of the Silver Eel.

A few days later, Pike the Lefty comes into my library escorting Laenaya. She is dressed in expensive-looking black leather and looks satisfied and well-fed. I don’t really want to know.

Pike scratches his jaw sheepishly. “She surprised me on the roof as I was star-watching. She asked for you.”

I make an obvious show of looking her over. “You seem to have done well for yourself since I released you.” Black and tight really work on her.

She opens without preamble, “I came back because I am curious to know who you plan in imprisoning in the Prison of Zagyg. You have released me, the ‘Terror of Thalos’ back into the world to make room for someone else. I hear you played off a Demon Prince against a Pit Fiend in order to get what you want. I am curious about the mathematics of your existence. Call it curiosity.”

“That’s it? ‘curiosity’?”

She nods. “Mother would lie down with anyone and anything if she thought there was something to be gained from it. An interesting piece of knowledge or lore that might be useful at some future date. Her fecundity always made Malcanthet jealous. My sister was the same way, much to Graz’zt’s good fortune.“ Her sarcasm could peel the paint off of the walls. “But that’s not me. Which is why I was driven out. Which is why I was imprisoned when I went back.”

This vampire, this centuries-old daughter of a Demon Prince actually comes over and sits cross-legged on my desk as we continue our conversation. I was tense as Pike walked in with her, but now I don’t know what to think. I pull out a bottle of a fine Sulouise red and a single glass, not bothering to offer anything to her. We fall into an easy conversation though she doesn’t readily share details about life with Iggwilv, Graz’zt, Tsojcanth, Drelzna and the Daughter of the Night, whom Laenaya doesn’t know.

“I was already gone when Mother ran afoul of Graz’zt and her empire fell. Though I see all of you have reaped the rewards of Drelzna’s labor. Those books are the works of the greatest scholars, philosophers and weaponsmasters of the age. According to Drelzna, they were to help her mature faster and prepare for what was to come, but the Battle of Pesh came first.”

“She was there?”

She nods. “Apparently Pazuzu brought her to Pesh to watch ‘Miska’s Folly’, but the two of them were ambushed and she imprisoned. Though it wasn’t hard to capture her once Pazuzu was driven off.”

“Why not?”

“Though she is also dozens of centuries old like us, she has been imprisoned for all but six years of her life. Pazuzu’s daughter is six years old.” She looks at me askance. “Why all these questions about Pazuzu’s heir?”

“Call it ‘curiosity’,” I say over the brim of my cup.

For her undead nature her eyes are very lively. “Well then,” she stands up to leave though my window. “Here’s to satisfying curiosity, then.” And leaves like a ghost - or a vampire - once again.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yawgmoth posted:

That's really weird. I thought roll20 was crap but setting a limit on the number of players? You could have the DM assign your one "player" slot two characters while you share a mic/keyboard. Or just move to a site that is less garbage. Hell, you could use discord for voice and any sort of sandbox with an upload image feature if need be. Although I suppose if the DM can't get his poo poo figured out re: all of these issues, it'll be a moot point soon enough.

roll20 does not have any hard limit on number of players. It must be something else.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prism posted:

roll20 does not have any hard limit on number of players. It must be something else.
Yes I know. I was saying "I thought roll20 was bad, but whatever Kumo and his crew are using is clearly worse."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A snippet from tonight's session...

X X X X X

"There is a...burial tax that is required to inter your sister in hallowed ground."

"Of course. I will pay whatever fee is required."

"The burial tax is 500 gold."

"...do you take layaway?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

A snippet from tonight's session...

X X X X X

"There is a...burial tax that is required to inter your sister in hallowed ground."

"Of course. I will pay whatever fee is required."

"The burial tax is 500 gold."

"...do you take layaway?"

Aw, poor sister.
*presses F*

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Kumo posted:

Not sure where else to put this, but would like to vent about a current game.

A few months ago, an old friend & colleague started up a D&D game. Made a shared character w/ spouse and for a while it was fine, but I'm finding it increasingly tedious & bothersome.

One problem, a large one, centers on another player. He & the DM are relatives, & the Player frequently is the center of play. He made a hybrid/everyman type of character so each role of the game he can do, but not particularly well. Face, healer, rouge, striker, utility, skill checks; all him. He gets side quests & seems to have appointed himself as leader of the group. The rest of us sit on the sidelines until it is time to roll in combat.

So far, 'The DM's Wife/Girlfriend/_________", Job Usurper, and a Spotlight Hog.

He also just got a familiar, which is fine; but now his turns take longer because he has two things to Control. I think he's trying to be endearing with his pet wolf, but it comes off more annoying than anything.

He also knows a lot about the rules, so is acting as Assistant DM. Including dictating to the rest of us our own Characters' races, capabilities, attributes & even actions on one memorable occasion.

So adding Assistant DM & Controller to the list of issues.

The DM is also not great. He is a nice person, but I'm learning he's not a particularly strong DM. We're running a scripted adventure and he's deviated from it a bit, which is fine as it adds some personal flavor, but it is quickly becoming a slog. We're still low level, but have progressed to just before the setting mid-point and are grossly under-leveled & under-equipped. He every so often tells us to level up, rather than gaining experience points, which means the PCs cannot determine their own advancement. It's kind of sporadic. We also did not receive any treasure until last session after months of play, and the Player mentioned above was the first to claim things he could use, even before we knew what they did or who they were geared towards.

This came into sharp focus last session when we were attacked by some low level fish folk mobs. They managed to get 3 of us down to making Death Saves after two rounds & our healer was only saved from being killed by DM fiat- that they dragged him away, only to return with him later, fully healed & in time for a boss fight. I was skimming the DMG thereafter & found a table of damage per encounter and we are much, much too low level for these types of damage output.

I figure one of us is going to get killed soon, and I am sort of hoping it is our character.

Lastly, the DM has yet to give us a chance to rest up, roleplay or buy items in town. Like I said, a slog hither & yon.

Your Hog doesn’t know the rules that well, or is playing very fast and loose. A wolf can’t be a familiar.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given everything else, I suspect only the spotlight hog would be allowed to have that kind of deviation, everyone else gotta follow the rules.

I say at least talk to the DM before quitting - so they and Hog will realize people are dropping out because of their behavior.

Like something: "Hey DM, I know you're trying new things and not trying to railroad us, which is good but our characters are way too under-leveled and under-equipped for it, and we'd like more consistent level ups and treasure." and then point out the issue with Spotlight hog getting first pick of treasure, all the spotlight, backseat DMing, and how both issues makes the game Not Fun.

If they're half way decent this might be a wake up call to change how they game for the ones staying, if they're self-centered, hey you got to vent your spleen before ollying out.

EDIT: least in my experience, if you're considering quitting, you're basically already half way out the door.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
With two Tanicus sessions under the belt, I have enough to work on the recap this week...

...however, our Monday night group is starting a Star Wars d6 campaign in a few weeks. :ohdear:

X X X X X

STAR WARS: THE ROLE-PLAYING GAME

EPISODE ONE: A NEW ORDER

The Republic has fallen!

Seven years after the rise of EMPEROR PALPATINE, the Core Worlds are wholly in the iron grip of the GALACTIC EMPIRE. As resistance rises and falls on the surrounding worlds, only the OUTER RIM maintains any real freedom.

But liberty comes at a cost. The HUTTS and CARTELS vie for control of trade, and the surviving remnants of the BANKING CLANS feed off the conflict. But the Empire is relentless, and the recent appropriation of all communication outlets has sparked heightened greater unrest.

With the HOLONET reserved for Imperial communiques, information has become an expensive commodity. In the silence, the oppressed masses have begun to cling to anything that brings them hope. But even in the distant CADMUS SECTOR, hope finds itself under constant siege....

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 5, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

With two Tanicus sessions under the belt, I have enough to work on the recap this week...

...however, our Monday night group is starting a Star Wars d6 campaign in a few weeks. :ohdear:

X X X X X

The Republic has fallen!

Seven years after the rise of EMPEROR PALPATINE, the Core Worlds are wholly in the iron grip of the GALACTIC EMPIRE. As resistance rises and falls on the surrounding worlds, only the OUTER RIM maintains any real freedom.

But liberty comes at a cost. The HUTTS and CARTELS vie for control of trade, and the surviving remnants of the BANKING CLANS feed off the conflict. But the Empire is relentless, and the recent appropriation of all communication outlets has sparked heightened greater unrest.

With the HOLONET reserved for Imperial communiques, information has become an expensive commodity. In the silence, the oppressed masses have begun to cling to anything that brings them hope. But even in the distant CADMUS SECTOR, hope finds itself under constant siege....

I want to play. Whatever is happening, I want to play. I will bring snacks.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.
So here's the setup.

We're trapped in the Plane of Fire, specifically in a palace in the City of Brass, the capital city. The previous owner of the palace, Javuul, a fire djinn, was released from his demiplane prison (by us) and is now free to wreak havoc on the Material Plane - specifically, my character Lia's hometown. At least ten sessions ago, we entered his demiplane prison looking for a major payout and swapped places with him and his entourage. We're trapped in a prison within a prison trying to get paid; Javuul get released onto Lia's hometown with an army of angry djinn.

We escaped the demiplane of Kakishon to be trapped in a palace within the City of Brass in the Plane of Fire. We tried teleporting out, only to be warped back only seconds later. We know there is a curse on either the palace or something within it that prevents anyone from escaping.

Last session (while I was unavailable), the team discovered a secret pocket dimension containing a magic mirror - The Impossible Eye.

The Impossible Eye is a level-24 magic item. If some looks into it and passes a Will save, they can freely cast a bunch of high-level Divination spells. If the gazer fails, they become enthralled by their own reflection and need to be smacked in order to break the enchantment.

Garidan, the cleric, looks into the mirror and fails his Will save. He decides he's the hottest dude in any world.

Hilaire, the paladin, smacks him upside the head and looks into it herself. She sees the ghostly figure who has shouted advice from mirrors on the walls as we explored the palace. She looks surprised, and a nephilim escapes the mirror, grateful for the rescue.

He shares our ghostly figure's white hair. He has the specter's tanned skin. He speaks in the same manner as our creepy ally.

He asks to take the mirror that he just escaped from.

Garidan immediately responds, "No. Why?"

The nephilim rams his axe through Garidan's chest.

Roll initiative.

I am going to roll three dice this session. The first is my initiative. I roll a 5. I am ranked last.

Bralgorg is our damage dealer. I have called him a barbarian in the past. This is a half-truth. He is a hybrid class known as a bloodrager. This is a combination between barbarian and sorcerer. He can rage as a free action, cast Enlarge Person as a swift action, and cast another spell as his main action. Bralgorg hulks out as his free action, doubles in size as his swift action, and casts Haste as his main action. He's now ten feet tall, made of muscle, has extendo-arms, and is fast enough to ram his adamantine polearm into someone more times than should be possible. And the cleric with the +4 scythe and the paladin with the flaming sword get extra actions too.

The nephilim gets to act before Garidan. He uses his prestige class to cast Slay Living. He rolls to jab his hand into Garidan and just kill him.

He crits.

Garidan rolls his Fortitude saving throw.

Garidan only takes most of his health in damage instead of dying instantly.

Angry that his instakill didn't work, the nephilim casts Quickened Magic Missile as a swift action to try to finish Garidan off. It only does most of the rest of Garidan's health (he's in single digits).

Hilaire the paladin takes her turn and swipes at him with her holy sword, doing some damage.

Areya the shaman takes her turn and fails her hex.

Viklos the bard takes his turn and shoots the nephilim with a crossbow bolt.

It's Lia's turn. I cast Disintegrate.

I roll for spell penetration, because the nephilim has spell resistance. Thanks to the feat I picked up last level, my bonus to penetration is +15.

I roll my second roll of the night. It is another 5.

20 is enough to beat a spell resistance of 19.

I now need to roll a ranged touch attack to actually point Lia's finger accurately at the 10-foot-tall angelic creature stabbing her friend. Touch AC is low, and larger creatures have lower AC. This is easy.

I roll my third and final die of the night.

It is a 3.

Lia points her finger at the tanned large man shanking her friend and misses.

The next turn, Bralgorg unloads a massive multi-attack on the nephilim and rips him into unidentifiable pieces.

Afterwards, the dragon serving as the right hand to the sultan of the City of Brass lands on the palace roof and says, "Hey, we put the no-exit curse on this palace after that nephilim stole that mirror from the sultan and tried to escape here. We didn't want him to leave with the mirror, and we figured that made this palace the perfect vault to store our treasure. You killed him, so you're cool. Give us the mirror and promise to kill Javuul, and we let you leave. And, wink wink, pay the 20k not-a-bribe for administration, and we acknowledge that the deed to the palace you have also includes a third of the businesses in the City of Brass Javuul owned, and now you're a billionaire."

All we have to do is kill an angry djinn trying to destroy Lia's hometown, and then we get to retire to the Plane of Fire.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 5, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LawrenceFriday posted:

All we have to do is kill an angry djinn trying to destroy Lia's hometown, and then we get to retire to the Plane of Fire.

While I understand that vast otherworldly wealth is a draw, isn't most of it on fire? Or made of fire?

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.
While most of the Plane of Fire is literal, unending fire, the City of Brass is only uncomfortably hot. The djinn that inhabit the City take slaves and accept customers of all races, including those who don't take kindly to being aflame at all times. The City of Brass has magical protections that make it bearable for humanoids from most of the Material Planes. At the outskirts, it's 95 F/ 35 C. Not pleasant, but magic can make it livable.

The City of Brass is also the most mercantile and diverse city in existence. Our DM waived all checks for finding a rare person or magical item. The City of Brass has literally everything.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Robindaybird posted:

Given everything else, I suspect only the spotlight hog would be allowed to have that kind of deviation, everyone else gotta follow the rules.

I say at least talk to the DM before quitting - so they and Hog will realize people are dropping out because of their behavior.

Like something: "Hey DM, I know you're trying new things and not trying to railroad us, which is good but our characters are way too under-leveled and under-equipped for it, and we'd like more consistent level ups and treasure." and then point out the issue with Spotlight hog getting first pick of treasure, all the spotlight, backseat DMing, and how both issues makes the game Not Fun.

If they're half way decent this might be a wake up call to change how they game for the ones staying, if they're self-centered, hey you got to vent your spleen before ollying out.

EDIT: least in my experience, if you're considering quitting, you're basically already half way out the door.

Just to expand on this, I've been running a game where I thought everyone was having A Grand Old Time and one of my newer players reached out to me to say he was, in fact, not having a great time and felt that certain party members were jack-of-all-trades-ing a bit too much and inserting themselves into every story point more than he would have liked. This was a real wakeup call to me as a DM because said party members he was taking issue with were friends of mine who I'd played with primarily in groups of 2-3 people vs. our 6 person party, so it was a really important conversation to have to get the game back on track and everyone having fun. Always express your feelings about the game to your DM, it's a group activity!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CobiWann posted:

X X X X X

The Republic has fallen!

The best of all Star Wars eras to set a game, right there. Also it's been ages since I used the d6 system - I assume you mean the old West End Games stuff, right? - but their sourcebooks remain the gold standard, IMHO

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The best of all Star Wars eras to set a game, right there. Also it's been ages since I used the d6 system

Me - "Are we going to use the West End d6 system?"

GM - "I'm going to ignore that question because I'm insulted Cobi would think I'd use anything else."

quote:

I assume you mean the old West End Games stuff, right? - their sourcebooks remain the gold standard, IMHO

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Niiiiiiiiiiiice

Fragments From the Rim remains my single favorite Star Wars supplement of all time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough a couple of those books were translated into Swedish and while I never actually got play it they were pretty much the first RPG books I read after borrowing them from a friend of my parents.

After that I think I played a single session of SWD20 and then a pretty long campaign with the FFG games.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Niiiiiiiiiiiice

Fragments From the Rim remains my single favorite Star Wars supplement of all time

The section on music/propaganda is what really clicked with me from that book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CobiWann posted:

The section on music/propaganda is what really clicked with me from that book.

I think my favorite tidbit was the notes on "Salting the Ether," the practice of certain Rebel operatives of composing nonsense orders in obscure codes and just broadcasting them at random, "to give Imperial codebreakers something to do"

it's so good. Of all the Galaxy Guides that was the one that read to me as "here's a bunch of crazy poo poo PCs have gotten up to in our games."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My favorite was probably the imperial sourcebook, because they go into exacting detail just how ridiculous the empire’s toys are.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Star Wars is cool and I like it but if we are getting actual Tanicus updates on the regular again I will be exceedingly happy. I will find a way to buy you golden toilet paper in our pandemic hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Hell I can't recall if DivineCoffeBinge ever finished their own Star Wars stories, or their polish x-files