Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Then what the gently caress was the point of the stupid ghost poo poo. Just to pointlessly piss off dumb internet people and a cheap excuse to end this part of the game with a pair of big fanservice boss fights?

was eradicating advent children from the timeline not a noble enough goal initself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

But if everything else stays the same Advent Children still happens!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think they just mean the structure of the game is going to be similar and you'll go to most or all of the same places and see a lot of the same things happen there, but they're not precluding any plot swerves. I wouldn't be super super surprised if the lesson ends up being that you have to accept your destiny (for Aerith in particular), but I don't think the end of this game is going to be totally meaningless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Then what the gently caress was the point of the stupid ghost poo poo. Just to pointlessly piss off dumb internet people and a cheap excuse to end this part of the game with a pair of big fanservice boss fights?

Pissing off dumb internet people is better than any DLC they could have made for this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I still think they just mean the structure of the game is going to be similar and you'll go to most or all of the same places and see a lot of the same things happen there, but they're not precluding any plot swerves. I wouldn't be super super surprised if the lesson ends up being that you have to accept your destiny (for Aerith in particular), but I don't think the end of this game is going to be totally meaningless.

they've also lied through their teeth about the intended direction of episode 1 multiple times prior to release so i'm not taking anything they say now as gospel

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

With how good and how drat fun this one is, the only thing I need to know from SE is when the next one comes out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nomura suggests elsewhere in the interview that the ending is building to something that will eventually be explained and make sense but that he can't talk about it yet. Maybe there'll be occasional weirdness like that cropping up throughout the remake series that eventually leads to a big reveal, but the majority of the games will still follow the big, memorable locations and scenes people expect to see.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Pissing off dumb internet people is better than any DLC they could have made for this.

Do you guys really not see the absurd contradiction in going "haha look at these losers getting mad it's not a 1:1 remake. *turns around* anyway I fully expect and desire a 1:1 remake from here on out."

A ton of people seem to 100% agree with the angry fans but don't want to look uncool or caremad so they make fun of them while simultaneously hoping that 20% of the game was essentially a huge prank that won't matter.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Tifa is gonna save Aerith, Clouds gonna die and Red will take his place as the awkward pretty boy everyone has the hots for.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Genuinely want things to get more and more off the rails as the game continues. This is the number one thing that made me take notice and I'd even be okay with them "remixing" the story, but god I want this to dive into full blown surrealism by the end. Even if it ends up being a bad gamble, I can find a lot of corny or "cringey" things entertaining, so I'll still get my money's worth.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do you guys really not see the absurd contradiction in going "haha look at these losers getting mad it's not a 1:1 remake. *turns around* anyway I fully expect and desire a 1:1 remake from here on out."

A ton of people seem to 100% agree with the angry fans but don't want to look uncool or caremad so they make fun of them while simultaneously hoping that 20% of the game was essentially a huge prank that won't matter.

I'm down for a wild ride as long as it's still recognisably Final Fantasy 7. This game was recognisably Final Fantasy 7 with some wildness thrown in - which is fine by me.

I'm more concerned how they divide the game up and handle mechanical aspects of it than changes to the plot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't think that's what anybody's saying.
just because they're teasing the idea of something happening doesn't mean it will happen and even if it does happen it will probably not happen the way you expect it to happen.
there's a lot of things going forward in the story that they can change or expand on or toy with from different angles while still keeping what makes FF7 what it is, which is what they've being done so far and very well.

what they've done is declare that there can and will be curveballs going forward. they probably won't be the curveballs you're expecting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nope don't agree with the angry fans. In fact I think they're idiots who have exactly no imagination or thinking skills and need everything spoon-fed to them in easily digestible nuggets of information.

I'm also excited that it won't be a 1:1 remake. I can't think of anything more boring and will be incredibly disappointed if that's how things turn out going forward.

stev posted:

I'm more concerned how they divide the game up and handle mechanical aspects of it than changes to the plot.
Yeah, this is where I am too. I especially hope they don't gently caress with the fighting system beyond some tweaks here and there. It's by far the best "Final Fantasy" fight system from a gameplay perspective.

Also the intentional "we're slowing you down" chokepoints so they could load more textures will hopefully be reduced or eliminated, but that's likely a hardware thing that the PS5 will alleviate.

I've been hearing the "oops, we loaded a rough low res texture" is more of a known Unreal bug that pops up, but whatever it is I hope there will be a fix for that soon.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't care about a 1:1 remake at all personally. Like I think the most interesting way to handle it is to roughly follow the plot beats but use the space inbetween to explore new stuff / shore up characterization / throw the occasional curveball, and the possibility of split timelines allows for a lot of twists and turns while still being recognizably FF7. Doing a Gus Van Sant's Psycho version of FF7 sounds like an incredibly boring act of creative cowardice to me. Other people are free to disagree obviously.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
No, I think what you described sounds like my ideal FFVII experience. I'd really like to see more reactions from 3rd party members to things that happen instead of just something like "Cloud and Tifa freak out at each other while so and so just stands there." (which WAS in the OG btw). Would LOVE what they are doing with the character interactions to continue, I think there's going to be less other party members standing around and being confused about Sephiroth because they're probably going to save full blown reactions for during the Nibelheim flashback and onward.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They've... already said they're going to change some things but they won't completely upend the plot. Like, hypothetically if we met up with Aerith again at the Ancient City and she announced that actually she intends to summon Holy to cleanse mankind from the planet completely and the squad begrudgingly accepts Sephiroth into their party to take her down then that would be a really cool concept but it's so far off the rails that it's absolutely not FFVII any more. Maybe it would make a cool Final Fantasy Versus VII ten or fifteen years down the line if any of us are still alive then but that's not what's coming down the pipe now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
og ff7 doesn't have the "red 13 tries to smile" scene so it's already in danger of falling perilously behind the remake in my personal rankings

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

og ff7 doesn't have the "red 13 tries to smile" scene so it's already in danger of falling perilously behind the remake in my personal rankings

OG FF7 lacks Charith and the wall market dancing sequence. Enough said.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think my big difference here is, with the single and sole exception of the plot ghosts and the murdering of, every single other change could of been casually slipped into a normal remake. Early sephiroth? Expanded characterization? Extra scenes? The minor avalanche members surviving? All of that and a hundred more things over the course of the next ten parts could be part of what I would consider a 1:1 remake.

There is exactly one plot beat big and important enough to justify, even necessitate putting stupid rear end destiny spirits and alternate timeline nonsense in this game.

Thats right, this time seph and cloud will kiss

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFVII Remake Part 3: Dudes Kissin’

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

About fuckin' time

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

About fuckin' time

The golden ending we've been waiting for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I think my big difference here is, with the single and sole exception of the plot ghosts and the murdering of, every single other change could of been casually slipped into a normal remake. Early sephiroth? Expanded characterization? Extra scenes? The minor avalanche members surviving? All of that and a hundred more things over the course of the next ten parts could be part of what I would consider a 1:1 remake.

There is exactly one plot beat big and important enough to justify, even necessitate putting stupid rear end destiny spirits and alternate timeline nonsense in this game.

If you consume the special drink in Corneo’s colosseum Sephiroth will join you for the Golden Saucer date.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RatHat posted:

If you consume the special drink in Corneo’s colosseum Sephiroth will join you for the Golden Saucer date.

Turns out the drink was replaced with poison. It's either go on the date or don't get the antidote.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

It'll still lead into Advent Children, but this time with gaynst.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
After looking up the characters from Crisis Core I’m beginning to think a side effect of the SOLDIER program is losing all body hair.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anyone know what the music at this specific moment is called, or have a link for it? it's the Nibelheim music I think but like in super spy mode. I love it so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDVomVk9eIg&t=1763s

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

After looking up the characters from Crisis Core I’m beginning to think a side effect of the SOLDIER program is losing all body hair.

Considering part of the process is literally taking a mako bath I imagine you're probably right. It's probably like sitting for hours/days in a tank of Nair.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The shaving is manual. SOLDIERs are just imbued with the knowledge of generations past that bishi boys are the ideal way to be. Same reason Cloud can dance.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Anyone know what the music at this specific moment is called, or have a link for it? it's the Nibelheim music I think but like in super spy mode. I love it so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDVomVk9eIg&t=1763s

Shining Beacon of Civilization?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYN4vnketVM

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

zedprime posted:

The shaving is manual. SOLDIERs are just imbued with the knowledge of generations past that bishi boys are the ideal way to be. Same reason Cloud can dance.

You end up being really precise at swordplay when you have to shave with a Buster Sword.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thank you, goon!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I know it probably wasn't technically possible but it felt like Midgar was really sparsely populated.

Sure the game felt long enough but I think it would have been nice to be sent to some of the other parts of the city, especially when we were blowing up reactors. Maybe just to drive home how many ways of life were now reliant on Mako or under the boot of Shinra in various different ways.

Kind just to ramp up the impact of everything a little. Especially when they dropped the plate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mako Man Randy Savage.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't care about a 1:1 remake at all personally. Like I think the most interesting way to handle it is to roughly follow the plot beats but use the space inbetween to explore new stuff / shore up characterization / throw the occasional curveball, and the possibility of split timelines allows for a lot of twists and turns while still being recognizably FF7. Doing a Gus Van Sant's Psycho version of FF7 sounds like an incredibly boring act of creative cowardice to me. Other people are free to disagree obviously.

I kind of agree with you, poo poo really should go off the rails now that they have committed. Falling back to a 1:1 remake not only pisses off those who want cloud and seph to kiss, it pisses off the fans who wanted a 1:1 remaster from the beginning. Nobody wins in that scenario.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing worth noting is that the Ultimania interview was done before the game came out, back in March, so it's not reflecting them backtracking based on fan backlash or anything.

My guess is that Kitase meant that the story will be the same in the big picture and that they'd be remaking/adapting all or almost all of the most iconic scenes and places that fans would want to see, but I think a lot of us assumed that anyway even after the ending. I guess we won't know what's really going on at least until part 2 comes out, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am an Aeifa shipper so I definitely want the plot to go awry.

Also today I watched a stream of someone going through the Nibelheim flashback in the original and I am amped, it's gonna be a long wait

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I don't even want them to kiss, I just want Seph to do more and more elaborate, weird gestures until Cloud gets annoyed with him like he did the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am an Aeifa shipper so I definitely want the plot to go awry.

Also today I watched a stream of someone going through the Nibelheim flashback in the original and I am amped, it's gonna be a long wait

Ayyyyy! :hfive:

I'm so on board for this, I have no faith we're gonna get it but my God I would be so happy!