Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea I don't get the toxicity comments, occasionally someone is salty in team chat but that's a rare event. I guess higher SRs have more salt because they've got more tryhards in, it's fine down in gold.

I've been ping-ponging between silver and gold, and games do get their share of toxic teammates depending of the time of the day. You're probably less likely to notice them if you don't join voice chats, or play exclusively with friends. Also there's a 50/50 chance you'll get gendered insults or horny mofos if your voice isn't deemed masculine enough :shrug:

I try not to speak at all while we're waiting inside spawn, but sometimes you say hi on reflex and you're met with a chorus of "OHHHHH A WOMYNNN HIIIIIIII!!!! HIIIIIII!!! INSTA PLS" and it just kinda makes you roll your eyes out of your skull, yanno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Ignis posted:

I've been ping-ponging between silver and gold, and games do get their share of toxic teammates depending of the time of the day. You're probably less likely to notice them if you don't join voice chats, or play exclusively with friends. Also there's a 50/50 chance you'll get gendered insults or horny mofos if your voice isn't deemed masculine enough :shrug:

I try not to speak at all while we're waiting inside spawn, but sometimes you say hi on reflex and you're met with a chorus of "OHHHHH A WOMYNNN HIIIIIIII!!!! HIIIIIII!!! INSTA PLS" and it just kinda makes you roll your eyes out of your skull, yanno

:( :hf: :(

This poo poo fully drove me out of competitive. People complain if you won't get in voice chat, but the instant I do it's a parade of "Oh, you're a girl, hi, wanna duo?" "loving bitch, why aren't you playing support, you're a poo poo tank," or if I am on support, "lmao why do girls always play healers? loving one tricks."

Quick Play and Arcade aren't always as fun, but at least nobody is yelling at me.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I'm perfectly willing to believe the toxicity is there, that nice person gave me a whole youtube list, but I play very little comp which is where I imagine more of it exists

I've had some pretty brutal comp games this season. One Hanamura where the damage on my team went out of their way to avoid shooting barriers so the enemy's double barrier comp stopped us cold at the front door was a memorable one. Dvas holding left-click to shoot things 100 meters away is something I see quite a bit of. But my SR is real bad so these things happen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah it gets significantly worse the higher you get. Gold seems like chill town though.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
I havnt really played ranked since 2018 but GM ranked was insanely bad even then

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
high diamond is worse than t500. They are on the edge of masters and firmly believe they belong up there if it werent for their awful team every game. They made it there once over a year ago and never again but they proudly tell you they are peak masters while on their losing streak into plat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fauxtool posted:

high diamond is worse than t500. They are on the edge of masters and firmly believe they belong up there if it werent for their awful team every game. They made it there once over a year ago and never again but they proudly tell you they are peak masters while on their losing streak into plat.

low diamond was weirdly the opposite -- everyone feels good about getting out of plat for the most part

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tommu posted:

I havnt really played ranked since 2018 but GM ranked was insanely bad even then

Give it a try now and you'll notice that everyones on their 20th smurf and every time they start losing they start snapping to heads like a motherfucker. Keep thinking i'm playing CS.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With role Q there isnt even a good reason to have alt account anymore. Its pretty much only to poo poo on players worse than you

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I can't imagine what comp is like for an actual non-smurf newbie these days. I'm not able to play comp with people who have never played comp because they are considered too high an SR, the initial hidden start point is like 2500

edit: this makes it impossible to get my goon friends to ever try comp, lol you gotta lose 15 games brutally before I can even join you

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Fauxtool posted:

With role Q there isnt even a good reason to have alt account anymore. Its pretty much only to poo poo on players worse than you

That's not true at all. Anonymity can be a positive thing.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like having an alt account so if I start to poo poo the bed in comp, having a higher ranked account helps me not give in to the "oh noooooo my precious SR" feeling.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Between 2-2-2 and role queue Blizzard shot themselves in the foot. No one wants to wait in 30+ minute queues at any level. Hell I can't even get into "quick" play as dps in under 5-10 minutes. They need to revert to no 2-2-2 and make the game work without the trinity design.

That's the day Overwatch died; when they made it impossible to shoot people in a shooter game by way of just not letting you play the game if you want to shoot people.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

:allears:

It delights me that we've come full circle from "Blizzard MUST implement 2-2-2 so that DPS players aren't locked out of a meta that has no room for them" to "Blizzard MUST get rid of 2-2-2 so that non-traditional tank/dps/support comps can be played."

Edit- to be clear, I understand both why people wanted 2-2-2 in order to kill GOATS but simultaneously now want it gone because DPS queues are too long. But realistically, Blizzard can't control the fact that most people want to play DPS for the glory of it and there will always be more DPS players than tanks and supports. There's never going to be a viable meta that's 4 dps, 1 tank, and 1 support, and even if there was, you'd STILL get into games where nobody wants to play the one tank or one support.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 30, 2020

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

CuwiKhons posted:

:allears:

It delights me that we've come full circle from "Blizzard MUST implement 2-2-2 so that DPS players aren't locked out of a meta that has no room for them" to "Blizzard MUST get rid of 2-2-2 so that non-traditional tank/dps/support comps can be played."

Edit- to be clear, I understand both why people wanted 2-2-2 in order to kill GOATS but simultaneously now want it gone because DPS queues are too long. But realistically, Blizzard can't control the fact that most people want to play DPS for the glory of it and there will always be more DPS players than tanks and supports. There's never going to be a viable meta that's 4 dps, 1 tank, and 1 support, and even if there was, you'd STILL get into games where nobody wants to play the one tank or one support.

Idk high dps comps were a thing

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

goats was already seriously hurt by the time 222 actually went in, shanghai's triple dps beat three of the best teams in ow history throwing goats at them one by one by one to win stage 3

unfortunately 222 had been a decision a year in the making, so by then it was too late

I think "Jeff's crazy test mode" with 1 tank and 3 damage that even ended up on experimental for a while was good fun. Jeff was warned by a huge shitpile of people, including me, that 222 would result in some spicy queue times and the queue times vary pretty wildly by rank, but it's absolutely too long at the high-end

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

On occasion yeah, map and situation dependent. I also seem to recall people pointing out before 2-2-2 was implemented that it would stop innovations like that and everyone said "that's not a common enough situation to be worth accounting for and usually if you have 3-4 DPS heroes on a team, you're going to lose so this would stop stupid DPS players from throwing."

I am not, as a general rule, a DPS player. I prefer tank and support so this was never really a big issue for me. I've also never been higher in SR than low plat and I mostly settle in gold so clearly I have no idea what's going on with higher tiers. But I was paying attention to the 2-2-2 arguments because I was on the side opposing it. Pretty much every single thing we argued would be bad about 2-2-2 are now the things people are complaining about. There have been good outcomes from 2-2-2 but all these problems were completely predictable and it's amusing to me that DPS players are this upset when we said this exact thing would happen.

Ad by Khad posted:

Jeff was warned by a huge shitpile of people, including me, that 222 would result in some spicy queue times and the queue times vary pretty wildly by rank, but it's absolutely too long at the high-end

Jeff warned people that 2-2-2 would have bad queue times for DPS. He said it in one of the videos he put out (I don't know which and I'm not going to look it up right now). Blizzard has spent a long drat time dealing with this problem in WoW. I promise you that nobody was less surprised than Jeff that this would happen.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yeah I seem to remember Jeff saying it publicly as well. He came from an mmo background where this sort of thing is common, he knew what this was.

I respect the various efforts he has gone through and continues to go through to alleviate those queue times. Other games that have this issue, including wow, simply throw up their hands and say queue times are a player issue. Jeff didn't give up and I hope he's able to make it better for high-ranks, even if that means tossing role queue entirely which is basically what the current arcade mode is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The problem is structural to OW and why OW2 is leaning hard into being a pve game where that trinity design can actually work.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/StatiicOW/status/1255675072280477697

https://twitter.com/agilities/status/1255674971298422792

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tommu posted:

yeah like imagine being chipsa on ladder rn

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tommu posted:

valid reason sure, but i would argue not a good reason. If you cant play on your main account for some reason its not actually your main anymore. Thats just making a new account and abandoning the old

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Fauxtool posted:

valid reason sure, but i would argue not a good reason. If you cant play on your main account for some reason its not actually your main anymore. Thats just making a new account and abandoning the old

What

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

You know maybe sometimes you don't want people to int your games or you don't want to be recognised by someone and that's perfectly ok??????

Like plenty of streamers have/had off stream accounts becauae being "on" all the time is exhausting but it doesnt mean they've abandoned thier "mains"

Probs more am edge opinion but stuff like off role or learning heroes accounts are also perfectly fine and something I encouraged the players i coached to have because theres an intrinsic publicity value in having you main 4600 and not 3900 because i told you to learn sombra (poor water)

Tommu fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 30, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

oh did you finally get banned for aimbotting?

he posted some highlights of some super obvious aimbotting a year or two ago, so you can read between the lines

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 30, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There's also the hilarious issue of the game thinking my DPS is solidly GM because my tank is solidly t500.

It is not and will never be. I refuse to lose 25 or so games just to get to where it "thinks i should be" when i can just log onto an alt account and be poo poo at widow there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dont they let you change your name and set the profile to private now

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You get one namechange, setting profile to private doesn't stop people who throw based on name recognition. There was a "throw this guys games" server on EU.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

There's also the hilarious issue of the game thinking my DPS is solidly GM because my tank is solidly t500.

It is not and will never be. I refuse to lose 25 or so games just to get to where it "thinks i should be" when i can just log onto an alt account and be poo poo at widow there.

Maybe there’s only 500 players left? I still don’t know if your dps would be t500 then, though. Similar to my tank play.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/VancouverTitans/status/1255932995078287360
https://twitter.com/JJANU_ow/status/1255937725154250752
https://twitter.com/VancouverTitans/status/1255940701348433921

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/4sheep_/status/1255941156111699968

Just bracing for the rest to come, because it sure looks like this ain't the end of it

e: also on hindsight, this sounds even more like a hostage message with today in mind. "Players are being paid. The Titans will be playing again. Clarity will be coming soon. :geno:"

Ignis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 30, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tommu posted:

You know maybe sometimes you don't want people to int your games or you don't want to be recognised by someone and that's perfectly ok??????

Like plenty of streamers have/had off stream accounts becauae being "on" all the time is exhausting but it doesnt mean they've abandoned thier "mains"

Probs more am edge opinion but stuff like off role or learning heroes accounts are also perfectly fine and something I encouraged the players i coached to have because theres an intrinsic publicity value in having you main 4600 and not 3900 because i told you to learn sombra (poor water)

Yeah those are edge cases not applicable to vast majority of players. Those are valid and i still stand by my original statement. What other people are talking about is more along the lines of harassment, not personal pressures.

dogstile posted:

You get one namechange, setting profile to private doesn't stop people who throw based on name recognition. There was a "throw this guys games" server on EU.

you get one free namechange. you can do it as many times as you want but you need to pay $10 after the first one and message a CSR with a good reason. I know someone with several name changes. You very much could change your name and set your profile to private while keeping your SR if you wanted to keep playing and hide from people

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah those are edge cases not applicable to vast majority of players. Those are valid and i still stand by my original statement. What other people are talking about is more along the lines of harassment, not personal pressures.

your original statement is wrong sorry 2 say

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

"today"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I hope everyone working for these teams in community manager roles or in marketing see whats happening and start applying for jobs somewhere safe cuz this ship is going DOWNNNN

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
looking forward to seeing the all-new vancouver titans roster tomorrow

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

what a loving terrible week

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

boston please fire all your terrible players and just pick up the titans

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

boston please fire all your terrible players and just pick up the titans

if boston fired all their terrible players they'd free up enough salary to afford approximately one of the titans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Ryujehong is the best paid player on titans amusingly