Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I have a bottle of 'Huang Chiew' is that the same thing? It's salty brown rice wine that I've been using like shaoxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

droll posted:

I have a bottle of 'Huang Chiew' is that the same thing? It's salty brown rice wine that I've been using like shaoxing

i had to google it cuz thats a weird romanization lol. it looks just like a different brand of shaoxing so you're good. looks like its less salty maybe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

One thing is I think Mirin is bad for sauces cuz it doesn't have much flavor really, and is a bad replacement for shaoxing wine. shaoxing wine has way more sodium and other flavors so it adds a lot more to a sauce than mirin. I stick to mirin for marinades where it really shines.

Mirin's important in sauces, but it's for Japanese food. I don't think there's any Chinese food that uses it unless there's stuff borrowed from Japan.

Also you need real mirin, aji mirin sucks.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Mirin's important in sauces, but it's for Japanese food. I don't think there's any Chinese food that uses it unless there's stuff borrowed from Japan.

Also you need real mirin, aji mirin sucks.

I guess that's true. I have seen people suggest using it in lieu of Shaoxing wine tho for which it is not a good replacement, imo.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
They're very different, whomever suggested has an awful palate. Sherry with a lot of salt would be closer?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It happens in magazines and other places that have Chinese-ish recipes aimed at people who will just use stuff from their local supermarket (which is likely to have mirin but not shaoxing).

Why these don't just say 'use cheap brandy' instead, i dunno. It's canonical as a substitute - fuchsia uses it as that - but maybe it's scary because it's alcohol?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

I guess that's true. I have seen people suggest using it in lieu of Shaoxing wine tho for which it is not a good replacement, imo.

Yeah that makes no sense at all. Shaoxing isn't sweet. Even just sake would be better.

droll posted:

They're very different, whomever suggested has an awful palate. Sherry with a lot of salt would be closer?

The salt is just a weird thing they do to sell it in the US because of alcohol laws as far as I know, it's not salted in China. If you do the dry sherry sub don't salt it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that makes no sense at all. Shaoxing isn't sweet. Even just sake would be better.

The salt is just a weird thing they do to sell it in the US because of alcohol laws as far as I know, it's not salted in China. If you do the dry sherry sub don't salt it.

I normally just use a dry sake. It's close enough and I can't find actual shaoxing wine, just the stuff with salt. The salt is in it so they can sell it at grocery stores without you needing to be 21, presumably so kids don't get drunk on it all the time. I guess stealing their parent's Miller Hill Life is more socially acceptable. I've always lived here and still don't understand why they ruin things with salt. They do it with cooking sherry though too, but you're better off just getting actual sherry so you don't end up over salting. Most things have more salt then they probably need and good luck finding a soy sauce that you can reduce without it being far too salty.

Also, I bottled my soy sauce experiment. It's too salty and it makes me salty. Flavor is okay, it's too young and didn't get enough sunlight, so I know what to change for the next time.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ordered a bunch of poo poo from that Mala Market mentioned a bit back. Gonna make some sichuan food!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You should order food instead.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Eh this is kind of a long shot but does anyone have a recipe for 葱油粑粑 ?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nope

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
粑粑 is 油

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

粑粑 is 牛

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've been getting into wok cooking this year and I am wondering if I'm on the right track for instead considering an adapter like the Wok Mon to instead just buy an outdoor burner that cost about the same (or less) but I can also use for other purposes.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
We ran out of doubanjiang. We have everything else. Would gochuchang and maybe a dash of hoisin be disgusting or fine?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

We ran out of doubanjiang. We have everything else. Would gochuchang and maybe a dash of hoisin be disgusting or fine?

That will not taste anything like doubanjiang. What are you making?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
LOL sorry I'm a moron. Mapo tofu. Ended up using a little gochuchang, chou hou and some fresh thai chilis. Rest wad there, and it tasted great. Threw in some snap peas and bok choy at the end because they needed to be used.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Amazon has a decent selection of doubanjiang now

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

droll posted:

You can make it Korean style (Mapadubu): https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/korean-style-mapo-tofu

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOtheXhqOAI

My favorite Sichuan dish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Amazon has a decent selection of doubanjiang now

Yep. You either want this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Boad-Paste-Chili/dp/B01M31VHNZ/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=doubanjiang&qid=1588369826&sr=8-8

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Xian-Broad-Paste/dp/B081XW1QJM/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=doubanjiang&qid=1588369826&sr=8-12

The first one has extra chili oil in it so it's more of a liquid, which is useful depending on what you're doing. The second is more thicc. But either works fine, they're both real Pixian douban.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just gonna keep posting these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytyz6gK2okA

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
He has an outdoor wok cooker now and the videos with his Uncle are great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, installing the wok range outdoors (and then building an awning over it) really inspired me for outdoor kitchen upgrades. Someday I'll be rid of the turkey fryer, someday...

The other thing I like about the videos with Uncle are that they're so unvarnished. Like, the pork ribs that just got posted a day or two ago - they weren't perfect and they were hard for Uncle to eat, but the honesty helps me learn things as well.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Is there a good wok burner that hooks up to a BBQ style propane tank? Our deck is right outside the kitchen and it would be awesome to do wokking outside in the summer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

droll posted:

He has an apprentice too. His uncle is in her videos and it's nice to see someone with a lot less practice trying to do similar things on the same set up. Not all of her videos are just cooking, so ymmv.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMN3emFs3IySLihAR7NH4Mg

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Oh that's an apprentice? TIL. For some reason I thought that was his girlfriend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

His wife and daughter are in a few videos but she doesn't appear much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

large hands posted:

Is there a good wok burner that hooks up to a BBQ style propane tank? Our deck is right outside the kitchen and it would be awesome to do wokking outside in the summer.

I got this a few months ago now and it can go crazy hot. It's a little finicky because it straight up pushes out more gas on high than can stay lit unless you have a wok on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GXFLX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hauki
May 11, 2010

droll posted:

i extremely want his outdoor kitchen

also his apprentices' videos are hilarious

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The first apprentice video I clicked didn't have English subtitles, while his videos always have them. I get I'm posting in the Chinese food thread not the Food Videos thread, but it kinda blows.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Doom Rooster posted:

I got this a few months ago now and it can go crazy hot. It's a little finicky because it straight up pushes out more gas on high than can stay lit unless you have a wok on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GXFLX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

How much space does it take up? We're on the second floor and while I want one, I also dont want our HoA to bitch

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Captainsalami posted:

How much space does it take up? We're on the second floor and while I want one, I also dont want our HoA to bitch

Not much. It’s like 16x16 and 3 feet tall. The legs all unscrew really easily, so you can just take it apart and put it in a closet it less than a minute once it cools.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

droll posted:

The first apprentice video I clicked didn't have English subtitles, while his videos always have them. I get I'm posting in the Chinese food thread not the Food Videos thread, but it kinda blows.

You can have them auto-translate to your language of choice. It’s not perfect but better than none.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t89MLq-ao

Qi Erwa does videos too.

Is it just my rusty Chinese or does she have a stronger Sichuan accent than Wang Gang? It seems like she goes back and forth between a more standard accent to the camera and a more Sichuan accent to uncle, which is pretty funny.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 6, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t89MLq-ao

Qi Erwa does videos too.

Is it just my rusty Chinese or does she have a stronger Sichuan accent than Wang Gang? It seems like she goes back and forth between a more standard accent to the camera and a more Sichuan accent to uncle, which is pretty funny.

She has a much stronger accent than Wang Gang.

Wang Gang actually lived in Zhuhai a lot of his adolescence and speaks Cantonese as well so (I saw an interview with him on another Chinese channel) he probably lost some of the Sichuan twang at that point in his life, or at least learned to speak more standard Mandarin as many Chinese people do. When he speaks directly to his uncle his accent increases in intensity like 10x from when he's narrating to the audience, though.

e: getting more into it Qierwa specifically has a southern Sichuan accent, so I'd guess shes just a kid from near Zigong where Wang Gang films these. One of the telltale signs of this is her "r" isn't as distinct from "l" as other Sichuanese people, or as it is in standard mandarin. I have some friends from Yibin, a city right next to Zigong, and they do the same.

She generally speaks 川普 though, which (strongly) Sichuan-accented Mandarin. Siboye on the other hand speaks full out Zigong-style Sichuanhua that even some of my friends from Chengdu or Chongqing have a hard time understanding.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 6, 2020

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Doom Rooster posted:

Not much. It’s like 16x16 and 3 feet tall. The legs all unscrew really easily, so you can just take it apart and put it in a closet it less than a minute once it cools.

How bigs the flame? My bf is worried we'll get in trouble is all, trying to put him at ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Those flames won’t get any higher than the bottom of your wok or pan. That’s a lot of small flames and not a large jet either. I have a similar one, and you should be able to dial in the flame height using the air intake dial. It’ll give you better heat, and it’s not any worse than the flames in a small gas grill. You want only blue flame and not separation from the burner or you’re wasting propane too.