Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Yglesias was a big Bernie supporter, I don't know why people are accusing him of attacking the left right now.

He's a fraud and we really don't need to defend the guy who wrote that Bangladeshi factories should have looser safety restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

He does they’re just hard to find because ESPN’s site sucks

you misspelled "paywall" I think

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

harperdc posted:

you misspelled "paywall" I think
None of Zach's articles have been behind a paywall?

euphronius posted:

I wish Lowe still wrote articles

He had great stuff on grant land
Just follow him on twitter, or click this https://muckrack.com/zachlowe_nba/articles which has both articles and podcasts

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lowe is still the best basketball writer around, but now that he’s a Journalist and beholden to keeping sources happy the signal:noise in his articles is down about 35% from his Grantland peak.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

He does they’re just hard to find because ESPN’s site sucks

ESPN has a bunch of good writers it's just impossible I to find anything they write unless you get lucky with the front page roulette or follow them on Twitter. It's insane that they do not have author archive pages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I tried to read a Lowe

This is what happened

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

I tried to read a Lowe

This is what happened

oh god what the hell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
read it in your browser instead of their cruddy app

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo, they're toothing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Kyle_Bauer/status/1253664992651628544

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

read it in your browser instead of their cruddy app

It forwards on mobile.

Not like their website layout is much better (we still miss you Red Viper Grantland).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

It forwards on mobile.

Not like their website layout is much better (we still miss you Red Viper Grantland).

Hmm it doesn't for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

harperdc posted:

It forwards on mobile.

You probably clicked to always open ESPN links with the EPSN app at some point in the past. Need to reset your app opening preferences and I don't remember how to do that and it is probably different on each phone, anyway.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

harperdc posted:

It forwards on mobile.

espn’s website is definitely butts; i haven’t read a longform article from there in like a year

it doesn’t help that espn seems to be mostly uninterested in print journalism at this point

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why is nu-Deadspin spilling so much ink caping for Jalen Hurts? There's nothing especially wrong with that; he's a cool player if not a good quarterback, but it just seems like kind of a random thing for them to latch on to.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 26, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

Why is nu-Deadspin spilling so much ink caping for Jalen Hurts? There's nothing especially wrong with that; he's a cool player if not a good quarterback, but it just seems like kind of a random thing for them to latch on to.

Let’s Lionize Some Guys

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://twitter.com/CogginToboggan/status/1254850059096686592?s=20

I’m so glad he doesn’t write anything for the site any more because he has turned into such a hack in his advanced age

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao when did simmons say Rodman wasn't interesting

not that I doubt it but lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the trick to understanding a simmons opinion is that it either comes from a father issue or a dumb media grudge, i threw on his podcast and it turns out that rodman isn't interesting because ESPN released a post-simmons 30 for 30 on rodman that was "as long as the bad boys documentary"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

the trick to understanding a simmons opinion is that it either comes from a father issue or a dumb media grudge, i threw on his podcast and it turns out that rodman isn't interesting because ESPN released a post-simmons 30 for 30 on rodman that was "as long as the bad boys documentary"

hahahaha ok yeah that's Extremely Bill

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Even in that podcast, after saying that Rodman wasn't that interesting, he goes on to describe him as the only player he ever saw that started moving to where he thought the rebound was going while the shot was still rising - the sort of unique talent and ability that makes a basketball player, um, interesting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also Rodman trashed Larry Bird one time

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Larry Bird wouldn't even get that much attention if he was black.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
hmm first OJ Made in America and now the Last Dance have we discussed whether or not the Ewing Theory applies to Bill Simmons leaving ESPN Films???

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 28, 2020

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If Larry Bird was black Bill Simmons would have said that Bird was mysteriously cerebral but had too much of a chip on his shoulder.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm kind of impressed how new Deadspin has managed to retain all of the sanctimony of old Deadspin but none of the fun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I loved the anecdote from Dream Team about how Patrick Ewing and his high school buddies had that same opinion, and then after the first time Ewing played against Bird in the NBA he called one of them and said "You know all that poo poo we talked about Bird? Forget it. This motherfucker is the truth."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Larry Legend was a god tier poo poo-talker too

quote:

When Dennis Rodman was playing for Detroit early in his career, he got assigned to Bird during a game against Boston. Bird made four consecutive baskets and proceeded to tell Pistons coach Chuck Daly, "Who’s guarding me, Chuck? Is anyone guarding me? You better get someone on me or I’m gonna go for 60." No matter how close up Rodman would get to Bird, trying to deny him the ball, Bird would playfully yell to teammates to hurry up and get him the ball "before they notice nobody is guarding me."

quote:

It was no surprise that Bird was dominant in the All Star Game 3-point shooting contest, winning the first three events beginning with the inaugural one in 1985-86. Before the event would even start he would ask the others participating who was competing for second place. When Craig Hodges won in ’89-90, with Bird not participating, he was asked whether his victory needed an asterisk because he didn’t go against Bird. "He knows where to find me," Hodges said. The words were taken to Bird for a response, who said, "Yeah, at the end of the Bulls’ bench."

E: vvvv yessss lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 28, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

"Merry loving Christmas"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is a pretty cool thing happening -- the Vox Union started a GoFundMe for furloughed SB Nation workers https://www.gofundme.com/f/vox-media-furlough-fund

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

The Ath-a-letic just ran an article about this a couple weeks ago. Here's some of the gold:

via The Athletic posted:

Earl Cureton, opponent: He pump-faked a lot so you’d be running at him, and as you went by, he’d slap you on your rear end and then shoot the ball.

Xavier McDaniel: We’d been going at it all night. It was tied or they were up one. He just told me, “Xavier, I’m going to get this ball right here and I’m going to shoot it in your F’in face.” And I said, “I know. And I’m going to be sitting right here waiting.” He went to the spot and got it. He nudged me back with his shoulder a little bit to clear space. I jumped to try to block it. He hit it, looked at me and said, “gently caress, I didn’t mean to leave nothing on the clock.”

Cureton: I was in Detroit and I was guarding him one game. He was coming up with the ball and Chuck Daly was yelling at me. “Get up on him, Earl, get up on him!” Larry stopped, pulled up, shot the ball, looked at me and said, “You heard what Chuck said. He told you to get up on me. Get up on me!”

Michael Cooper: Robert Parish set a down pick, and I was like, “Oh, I’m gonna get this poo poo.” As Larry comes off the pick, I’m a little late. He gets the basketball, probably at the free-throw line at the elbow. Kareem saw I was a little late so Kareem switched on him. Larry gets the ball, he goes up for a jumper and in my mind I’m like, “I’ve got this poo poo, I’ve got this poo poo.” He goes up to shoot and hits Parish like on a pick-and-roll play and Parish dunks. On the way down, Larry goes, “Told your rear end.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

“gently caress, I didn’t mean to leave nothing on the clock.”

oh my god lmao :thurman:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: whoops

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 29, 2020

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
That's in the NBA, imagine how much poo poo he talked against the stiffs in the MVC.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The Sports Journalism Tumblr: Rest in Power, SBNation

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Sports Journalism Tumblr: RIP, Sports Journalism

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Sports Journalism Tumblr: who'd have thought two Massholes would run the only successful sports websites

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
sports blogging needs to cast off the corporate yoke of vox et al and return to the days when a hobbyist made a blogspot account, called the site something like "Ken Macha is a Moron and I Hate Him," and stopped updating a month or so after getting linked by Deadspin

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

did something else happen with sbnation or is it the same layoffs as before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

did something else happen with sbnation or is it the same layoffs as before

Today was the last day before furloughs so there are a lot of dramatic goodbyes.