Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Corbeau posted:

My big takeaway from this campaign season has been that a plurality of Democrats are not people I want to associate with, or aid politically, in any way.

But...they are the people you have to win over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Many voters are so hypervigilant now (especially the #Resistance jerkoffs) for anything they perceive as foreign interference that I'm not sure how much influence actual foreign interference might have this time, but maybe that's just naive optimism on my part.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

His name was Addamere and I think he got banned a while back? Not sure for what.

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Point the way, then.

e:I'm not reading back through yesterdays shitstorm if its there, but if this guy exists, gently caress him.
It was quite a while ago. Last year even, I think.

Go ahead and look it up, Fritz Coldcockin. I'm remembering it a bit better now: not only does this not support your dumb argument, it's actually evidence against it. Let's see some links.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Mooseontheloose posted:

But...they are the people you have to win over?

They aren't, because that ain't gonna happen no matter what I say. Nothing that I can present will stick in the face of media bombardment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

She is trying to meet a fundraising goal fo 250K by midnight tonight. I just donated my entire tax return and I am phone banking tonight for this amazing candidate.

You want to make sure progressive poo poo gets done at the national level? Volunteer and Donate to get Hoyer out of Congress. LETS gently caress GOOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.mckayla2020.com/full-platform

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/-mckaylaforcongress-1

Your enthusiasm encourages me so I donated.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

His name was Addamere and I think he got banned a while back? Not sure for what.

Not familiar with him, but MSDOS knows who you're talking about so yeah, I guess there's an example of a real life Bernie Bro.

I'm gonna assume he got shat on by the forumgoers here because thats a dickish thing to do, and as Bernie would say, he does not represent the movement.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

She is trying to meet a fundraising goal fo 250K by midnight tonight. I just donated my entire tax return and I am phone banking tonight for this amazing candidate.

You want to make sure progressive poo poo gets done at the national level? Volunteer and Donate to get Hoyer out of Congress. LETS gently caress GOOOOOOOOOOO

This is more productive than whatever we're arguing about. Threw in a few bucks myself.

Might phone bank tomorrow. Remind me, Friendbot, you're good at that

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Not familiar with him, but MSDOS knows who you're talking about so yeah, I guess there's an example of a real life Bernie Bro.

I'm gonna assume he got shat on by the forumgoers here because thats a dickish thing to do, and as Bernie would say, he does not represent the movement.
The replies were mostly telling him to just volunteer for Bernie instead, or go but present as a Bernie supporter, including myself:

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I mean if you really want to go Addamere, probably the best way to go about it would be to not be duplicitous at all: go there and if the subject comes up then straight-out admit that your preference is for Bernie, but your second choice is Warren, and that you're out there that day helping Warren's campaign because there's nothing wrong with volunteering for your second choice and a strong leftist presence in the primary is better for everyone.

You have to actually believe that, however.
He eventually caught a probation for his dumb post. No one complained.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Note that I've changed my mind about Warren, since then.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Screw this, it's like arguing with a dining room table.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

E: Screw this, it's like arguing with a dining room table.
Turns out trying to advance an argument by citing evidence that refutes your argument, isn't a good way to win an argument :shrug:

Like I said from the start: you should have just not posted. Glad you finally came around.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

thanks for posting this, sending her $50

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Turns out trying to advance an argument by citing evidence that refutes your argument, isn't a good way to win an argument :shrug:

Like I said from the start: you should have just not posted. Glad you finally came around.

It doesn't refute my argument; you're literally just pretending it does. If this is how you "win" all your arguments, you must be a real hit at parties, big guy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
knock it off you two

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

Sent $10 her way, thanks for this alert.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

After some basic research I have concluded that this is Good and sent some money.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It doesn't refute my argument; you're literally just pretending it does. If this is how you "win" all your arguments, you must be a real hit at parties, big guy.
An entire thread of Bernie supporters telling that guy (who was, by the way, trolling) to go gently caress himself, advances your argument how? Your argument being, to recap, that Bernie supporters were apparently going around to houses and yelling at people, or otherwise acting like shitheads IRL, in numbers that matter, like they are (accused of) online.

Or maybe your argument was just that you bet you can find one Bernie supporter or a handful of them who were real toxic IRL, but not enough to matter - just enough that you can be technically accurate when you say "some Bernie supporters are real jerks." But if that's your argument then let me know because I don't a poo poo about what you're saying, if you're admitting up-front that it didn't rise to the level of having real influence.

e:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

knock it off you two
fine

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh good I'd be super sad if your av got covered up or removed by something else, it brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I believe that healthcare is a human right, that the camps at the border are an atrocity and should never have existed, and that ICE should be wiped off the face of this earth. I think the corporate tax rate should be where it was in the 1950s and that we spend way too much on defense that could go to health care, education, and housing.

What does that make me?

I had edited that post to clarify that I see you as a progressive, and was more referring to people that folks like MSDOS and I have been arguing with since late last night that hey, maybe we SHOULD give a poo poo about the fact that Biden allegedly raped someone. Then I edited it out because of fos' post. Sorry for the confusion.:)

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Honestly? It's the same animus I have. It's about taking Republicans out of power and everybody getting what they want.

Our Republicans are their own special breed, and taking them out has been tremendously cathartic, and we all remembered to follow through and vote everything in.

Yes, on the national level, you're gonna need less Hoyers and more McKaylas, and Friendbot has been an absolute warrior for her.

The way it worked here, and the way I expect it'll work nationally, is that it's going to happen slowly, and then all at once. I truly believe a leftist moment is going to happen the way the Gingrich GOP got their moment, and the way Virginia got their moment this winter. But you can't get them with a Republican at the top, so what's gonna do?

This is what I believed until a ways into Obama's first term. Then I saw how concerted an effort the national Democratic leadership makes towards squelching progressive movements and candidates. I think it's a mistake to try to draw a 1-to-1 comparison between progress that's been made in Virginia, and how progress can be made nationally.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/MeetMckayla/status/1255854434506223621?s=19

Who wants to watch this powerful woman clean up in her town hall tonight?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Majorian posted:

This is what I believed until a ways into Obama's first term. Then I saw how concerted an effort the national Democratic leadership makes towards squelching progressive movements and candidates. I think it's a mistake to try to draw a 1-to-1 comparison between progress that's been made in Virginia, and how progress can be made nationally.

The frustrating thing is that Virginia is an absolutely stellar victory and everyone involved in that should be proud they managed to swing something that's turning out so well -- but it's not like they were the first people who ever attempted something like that. Tons of good people over literal centuries have pushed forward progressive ideals and built coalitions and wheeled and dealed and died before they ever accomplished anything because the forces against them weren't reasonable, they were structural. It's a disservice to history to act like we can simply copy Virginia and have things turn out the same way. Friendbot and crew are 100% right that their methods and sacrifices were worthwhile and that's great, truly. But the way it worked in Virginia this time isn't indicative of how good people making good choices turns out every time. Incrementalism does work, but it doesn't work alone.

The systemic problems are such that you need people advocating in different angles at different frequencies of all types because not all people are going to respond to all messages. Some people do respond well to empathetic coalition building, and it's great that we have people doing that. Some people only respond to threats about stability and will only start making concessions from their strongholds when they legitimately feel that they're in danger of losing them, and it's great we have people doing that, too. Some people can't be moved and need to be dragged. Some people need to be treated with the lightest of kiddy gloves or they break down completely. It takes a village, one might say.

The majority of us are on the same side, regardless of which method of action we deem most appropriate, but y'all seem to have a vested interest in seeing the worst in each other all the time, and that's sad. (Not you, specifically, just like, the thread.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think, in short, local organizing just isn't as powerful on the national level as on the local level. I mean, it's not like Lee Carter was getting dragged on MSNBC as far as I know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1255659653637292032

in better news. i think the senate is very much in play and i think licking trumps rear end is gonna bite some people real hard.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Majorian posted:

I had edited that post to clarify that I see you as a progressive, and was more referring to people that folks like MSDOS and I have been arguing with since late last night that hey, maybe we SHOULD give a poo poo about the fact that Biden allegedly raped someone. Then I edited it out because of fos' post. Sorry for the confusion.:)

It was in full force even before Obama got the nom, my political mentor was the first guy to endorse him against an entire machine in my state. It was unpopular and one hell of a way to start my political career but in my mind he had made the right choice and I was behind him all the way.

The momentum worked and us and nearby states influenced the shift away from Clinton, and even though it didn't work how I'd have liked his presidency was far better than Clinton or any R.

Progressive movements work, and it changed the landscape. Its constant hard work and people do not take the down ballot stuff serious enough and it's what keeps those movements from moving much faster. Every now and again an AoC comes along and just works but that's the exception more than the rule.

It's more of people like ya boy fancy and friendbot and their blood sweat and tears doing the work.

If anyone did not click on the link friendbot posted and donated arent willing to phone bank for McKayla then your posts are hollow and all is being accomplished is yelling into the void.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Didn't see it anywhere here in the thread, but NYT had an article on the difficulty in getting unemployment benefits.

tl;dr? Technology is bad, also, Republicans are bad.

quote:

The state unemployment systems that were supposed to help millions of jobless workers were full of boxes to check and mandates to meet that couldn’t possibly apply in a pandemic.

States required workers to document their job searches, weekly; to register with employment services, in person; to take a wait period before their first check, up to 10 days.

Such requirements increased in the years following the Great Recession, as many states moved to tighten access to or reduce unemployment benefits. With them, most states cut the share of jobless workers they helped.

Now these requirements have been getting in the way. Effectively, many states have been trying to scale up aid with systems built to keep claims low.

“In a time when pretty much everybody who’s applying should be eligible, we’re working with a system that got us to a 26 percent recipiency rate,” said Steve Gray, the director of Michigan’s Unemployment Insurance Agency. That means Michigan was giving aid to one in four unemployed workers in 2019, following restrictions adopted by the Michigan legislature after the Great Recession. That system, Mr. Gray said, was “built to assume that you’re guilty and make you prove that you’re innocent.”

You may have noticed North Carolina plummet on that first graph. I wonder what sort of weird, unforeseeable circumstance could have caused this. Nobody would have intentionally done it, interdependent systems are complicated, a butterfly flaps its wings and

Nah, Republicans are trash posted:

By 2019, one in 10 unemployed workers in North Carolina was receiving benefits, the lowest share in the nation. But the state’s trust fund was in far better shape than when the legislature passed tighter restrictions in 2013.

“It was certainly a painful thing to do, and it was a tough vote,” said Tim Moore, now the Republican speaker of the North Carolina State House. “The balance that we had to strike was between making sure we’re taking care of somebody who truly can’t find a job, versus allowing in folks who simply did not want to work.”

I have many feelings, but I'll leave it to Perez' predecessor at Labor

quote:

“The failures are policy failures,” said Seth Harris, a former deputy labor secretary in the Obama administration. He distinguishes those decisions from the efforts of agency workers. “The failures are in the states that in their basic U.I. program offer fewer than 26 weeks of benefits — that’s a failure. The failures are in the states that narrowed eligibility — that’s a grotesque failure.”

But in many ways, those policies are inseparable from the technical failures. Even states like Florida that have nominally more modern systems have still built into them obstacles that make them hard to use.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

friendbot2000 posted:

SPEAKING OF MCKAYLA.

Oh heck yes! I dunno if I'll be what tips her over into hitting it, but I'll do my best. Threw $50 her way!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Paracaidas posted:

Didn't see it anywhere here in the thread, but NYT had an article on the difficulty in getting unemployment benefits.

tl;dr? Technology is bad, also, Republicans are bad.

The last time I had to apply for unemployment, which was in 2010, the KY state unemployment website, which was the only way to apply other than over the phone, could only be accessed using Internet Explorer v.6. A piece of software that came out in 2001 and was superseded in 2006.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Yuzenn posted:

It was in full force even before Obama got the nom, my political mentor was the first guy to endorse him against an entire machine in my state. It was unpopular and one hell of a way to start my political career but in my mind he had made the right choice and I was behind him all the way.

The momentum worked and us and nearby states influenced the shift away from Clinton, and even though it didn't work how I'd have liked his presidency was far better than Clinton or any R.

Progressive movements work, and it changed the landscape. Its constant hard work and people do not take the down ballot stuff serious enough and it's what keeps those movements from moving much faster. Every now and again an AoC comes along and just works but that's the exception more than the rule.

It's more of people like ya boy fancy and friendbot and their blood sweat and tears doing the work.

If anyone did not click on the link friendbot posted and donated arent willing to phone bank for McKayla then your posts are hollow and all is being accomplished is yelling into the void.

Progressive movements do work, but only when they operate with the understanding that liberal institutions like the Democratic leadership are not their friends or allies - they're obstacles.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

haveblue posted:

The most 2019 thing is still the time someone tried to spread fake AOC porn pics and got shut down by a crack team of veteran foot fetishists

Pages and pages ago, but this was one of my favourite pre-plague terminally online happenings. It was so hilariously apopro.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1255659653637292032

in better news. i think the senate is very much in play and i think licking trumps rear end is gonna bite some people real hard.

Doubt it. You would need an absolute massive blue wave to retake the Senate, and there is just no indication of that anywhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Doubt it. You would need an absolute massive blue wave to retake the Senate, and there is just no indication of that anywhere.

i mean 2018 house sweep happened as did virginia and other states.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean 2018 house sweep happened as did virginia and other states.

2018 didn't have Trump on the ballot lifting all other Republicans, or a democratic nominee who is going to drive down enthusiasm on the other side.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

I'll settle for the more odious Republicans getting the boot.

TyrantWD posted:

2018 didn't have Trump on the ballot lifting all other Republicans, or a democratic nominee who is going to drive down enthusiasm on the other side.

2018 didn't have Corona nor did it have Trump fumbling the ball and the GOP letting everyone know they'd rather let them die instead of bailout anyone other than corporations and the wealthy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I'll settle for the more odious Republicans getting the boot.

2018 didn't have Corona nor did it have Trump fumbling the ball and the GOP letting everyone know they'd rather let them die instead of bailout anyone other than corporations and the wealthy.

i think we will get a majority but idk how big it will be. i think with trump loving up and the GOP latching themselves to him, it wont help their races.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

I mean this is accurate but it also did not have a literal pandemic which was noticeably and publicly botched, nor were were plainly and obviously going into a serious recession. Trump's base isn't going to flinch because they never do but Biden as an empty suit is going to be propped by enthusiasm for "holy gently caress get him out of office" which has come up on multiple occasions and was present even during the primaries.

It's not exactly easy to say what is going to happen but Trump is basically going into a worse case scenario for a sitting President and as much as people on this forum (JUSTIFIABLY) hate Biden that same thing hasn't yet carried over to the general public where Biden generally polls very strong.

Trump is trying to shift the blame as hard as he can because he knows this is going to be a serious loving issue for him in November and despite America's notoriously short attention span most people are not going to forget the past few months that quickly.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TyrantWD posted:

There are a lot of assumptions baked into that prediction which the details of 2018's turnout don't particularly support.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Oh hey, Senate chat? I feel like that's been a while!

We'll assume that the only way the Dems have a chance at the Senate is with a Biden victory. It's not strictly true, but working from a base of needing +3 is just more fun.

Best chances to flip: Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina
It's not unlikely: Maine
It could? happen (roughly in my likelihood order): Georgia, Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Kansas
Crazier things have happened, but not in a long loving time: Texas, Alaska, Kentucky
This rises to needing +4 if you assume Jones loses in Alabama. +5 if, towards evilweasel's point earlier, you don't want Manchin to be the most powerful legislator in America.

Before coronavirus, I'd have said it was possible but unlikely that Dems could win those top 4. Now, with everything? Loeffler's profiteering and status as Kemp's appointment/personal favorite may put her seat into play. Depending on how all of this reopening plays out, Georgia, Iowa, South Carolina, and Texas could all see massive death and continued, severe economic pain.

e:

Killer robot posted:

There are a lot of assumptions baked into that prediction which the details of 2018's turnout don't particularly support.
Three cheers for negative partisanship!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Oh hey, Senate chat? I feel like that's been a while!

We'll assume that the only way the Dems have a chance at the Senate is with a Biden victory. It's not strictly true, but working from a base of needing +3 is just more fun.

Best chances to flip: Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina
It's not unlikely: Maine
It could? happen (roughly in my likelihood order): Georgia, Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Kansas
Crazier things have happened, but not in a long loving time: Texas, Alaska, Kentucky
This rises to needing +4 if you assume Jones loses in Alabama. +5 if, towards evilweasel's point earlier, you don't want Manchin to be the most powerful legislator in America.

Before coronavirus, I'd have said it was possible but unlikely that Dems could win those top 4. Now, with everything? Loeffler's profiteering and status as Kemp's appointment/personal favorite may put her seat into play. Depending on how all of this reopening plays out, Georgia, Iowa, South Carolina, and Texas could all see massive death and continued, severe economic pain.

e:

Three cheers for negative partisanship!

i dont think we will take texas but i think georgia and SC are in play, as is possibly KY.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Are any of those people old enough--on either side?--to potentially perish and upset the race if they contract the bad disease that disproportionately affects the elderly (a statistically vulnerable population in many ways)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

It also didn't have Trump sending everyone a check with his name on it