Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Poochie episode where they drop a college student into the Simpsons home as a jab against the execs does make me think, Futurama seems like something of a direct response to the Simpsons as a show starring more or less the demographics the Simpsons features the least, a bunch of twentysomething workmates. It does have the same dealio where the entire premise and the crew's jobs tends to be forgotten about especially as seasons go on, but they do at least make jokes about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Simpsons is a bit of an unusual example since it's both during and iconically of the 90s, being a relatively relevant social commentary of the times. A lot of media tends to be a while behind what it ends up getting associated with.

The Simpsons influenced some of the culture in the 90s as well. If nothing else, during the first few seasons, Bart was everywhere.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Poochie episode where they drop a college student into the Simpsons home as a jab against the execs does make me think, Futurama seems like something of a direct response to the Simpsons as a show starring more or less the demographics the Simpsons features the least, a bunch of twentysomething workmates. It does have the same dealio where the entire premise and the crew's jobs tends to be forgotten about especially as seasons go on, but they do at least make jokes about that.

What were they? Like a bus or something?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxw5nQX7SA&t=20s

:thejoke:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

The Simpsons influenced some of the culture in the 90s as well. If nothing else, during the first few seasons, Bart was everywhere.

Honestly Bart Simpson is probably the most emblematic figure of the 90's out there, even if he isn't wearing flannel and a backwards cap (put a sock in it, Roy).

holttho
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Poochie episode where they drop a college student into the Simpsons home as a jab against the execs

The execs literally wanted a new character who would "out-Bart Bart"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mighta said before in this thread or the other one, but the Poochie episode is interesting; kinda like Homer's Enemy in being one of the meta episodes that examines the premise of the show, but from a writing perspective rather than a setting one. And probably predicting all too well the problems when a formulaic show that's stagnating tries to mix things up; between the executives being out of touch and the writers having checked out with no ability outside their comfort zone, it's obvious a disaster that they instead quickly and clumsily walk back on rather than try to salvage, and fail to learn anything in the process.

Mind you, there's a bit of a running gag with Itchy and Scratchy that any attempt at going outside their strict formula fails miserably. Except the time they teamed up against Hitler, but hey. On that note you'd think the Itchy and Scratchy Movie would be a bizarre mess as so many 90s cartoon movies were, but indications seem to be it was basically a feature-length episode. (which to be fair is what the other half of 90s cartoon movies were)

Also funny that while most audiences would assume they're a Tom and Jerry parody, apparently the crew have confirmed they're more specifically inspired by Herman and Katnip. (which to be fair is a ripoff of Tom and Jerry, most notable for being considerably more violent and over-the-top in a way that Itchy and Scratchy took even further)

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Imagine being able to only communicate using Simpsons references. Worst communication method ever.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Me reading the past couple pages

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Skinner in Albany, the hams steamed.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also funny that while most audiences would assume they're a Tom and Jerry parody, apparently the crew have confirmed they're more specifically inspired by Herman and Katnip. (which to be fair is a ripoff of Tom and Jerry, most notable for being considerably more violent and over-the-top in a way that Itchy and Scratchy took even further)

They've definitely cited Herman and Katnip as the source; they talk about it pretty plainly on the early season DVD commentaries. They coupled that with some of the animation directors penchant for drawing super-gory cartoons in their younger days

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Skinner in Albany, the hams steamed.

drat, that is better!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Quack posted:

drat, that is better!

It’s so bereft of any meaning without knowing the context, I love it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

E: messed up the text border

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 30, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:eyepop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

holttho posted:

James L Brooks slowly forcing Sam Simon out because the episode where Mr. Burns needs rare blood from Bart is a 1-to-1 retelling of what happened happened with Brooks' illness. (including the company memo from Smithers/Richard Sakai saying 'you should be so lucky to have your blood in someone so important')

yo what

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

It's real, he's a picture of Simon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

holttho posted:

If any of you are interested in the beginnings of the Simpsons, how it got started, what world existed that allowed it to flourish, and just how the show got made, I strongly recommended The Simpsons: An Uncensored, Unauthorized History by John Ortved. It is an exceptional read about the first decade of the show.

Tracy Ullman being super bitter about the Simpsons because she thought that they sabotaged her show; and not the fact that it was an overly-cerebral sketch show that America just didn't care about. It regularly had over an hour downtime between sketches because there was so much makeup, costumes, and set breakdown, that the audience on set would understandably get bored and wander off - and word got out quick the only reason to go was to see all the Simpsons shorts they fed to them between skits. Something that was true of the broadcast version of the show as well. Of course, she claimed it sabotaged her only after it was settled in court that no, she does not get any sort of money on the back end from the Simpsons.

James L Brooks slowly forcing Sam Simon out because the episode where Mr. Burns needs rare blood from Bart is a 1-to-1 retelling of what happened happened with Brooks' illness. (including the company memo from Smithers/Richard Sakai saying 'you should be so lucky to have your blood in someone so important')

Matt Groening being a writers room pariah because he would only barely participate in writing, layout, and general production of episodes, but would unapologetically take full credit for every step of the process in the hundreds of interviews he did, then fight to make sure no one but him got merchandising checks.

It's really good.

holttho posted:

Eh, it's kinda 'which paintbrush is responsible for the masterpiece' sort of thing. They all brought their voice to the show and with very few exceptions, no one wrote individual parts of the show. Simon was definitely the sharp one of the group, but we're only talking about it now because of Brooks' syrup and Groenings acid made something that stood the test of time. That, and the first three years writers room -even at the time- was known as a dream-team of writers. That then set the stage for the next few years because since the original group was the team everyone looked to and wanted to be on, the producers had their pick of the litter or writers for the golden age of Simpsons.

It was never really in question that the show would do well (certainly they couldn't have predicted to what extent, though), the only thing in question was whether or not Fox would be able to keep the lights on. They knew they had a hot property, and from top to bottom they put together the strongest team the world of TV could muster. Which is why the all the interviews went to Groening for interviews. "Long-time smart successful TV producers produce another successful smart TV show" is not an interesting headline. "Starving artist outsider cartoonist strikes it rich" sells so much better. And as it turned out, Groening drank a bit too much of his own Kool-aid that he made in the interviews and got too big for his own britches in the eyes of the writers and show runners. He fought constantly against the better judgment of the people who actually knew how to make the show citing his own interviews as his position of power and had to be constantly reminded that being a cartoonist does not a show-runner make.

This poo poo is fascinating. It is also empirically true if you do even cursory research into credited writers/directors for the show and ignore all the backstage drama-- a lot of stone-cold classic episodes are credited to one-off creatives. There is no sole figure you can credit for the show's genius. Groening, Brooks, Simon, O'Brien, Swartzwelder, Reiss, Jean, Scully, Meyer, Mirkin, Vitti, Oakley, Daniels, Cohen, Weinstein, and what must be dozens of others are all part of the secret sauce. Not Graham though. Ian Maxtone-Graham is terrible. I'll stand by that.
Yeah this is news to me and I'm loving it. James L. Brooks is a seriously talented guy but he always struck me as one of those dudes who enters a room and makes every sphincter tighten involuntarily because he's had the power to make anyone in his orbit disappear since the Nixon Administration.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The early seasons were definitely a bit darker.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

No one who writes messages in blood could be an evil man

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Phanatic posted:

The early seasons were definitely a bit darker.

I love this

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ChesterJT posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with decade shorthand like "the 80s". Congratulations you're pedantic AND stupid. What a dud.

I said in a more accurate way, it was a 90's show.

And in a way we're both Duds.

But in another more accurate way, I am the Dud because I hosed up the reference and I also happen to be pedantic and stupid. :dudsmile:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I don't know why I'm on a Ray Jay Johnson kick. Lord knows he doesn't deserve it.

EDIT:

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 1, 2020

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I don't know why I'm on a Ray Jay Johnson kick. Lord knows he doesn't deserve it.

He didn't deserve the original joke in the first place, so I'm not gonna give you a hard time for making the most of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

droll posted:

Summers with the grandparents were my "No Simpsons" breaks oh god I'm so old.

Granddad called the Simpsons "Dumbheads".

My grandpa didn't let me watch King of the Hill because he thought it was "Those Butthead cartoons"

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Never-mind. Missed someone making the same point.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 1, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EDIT:

God that was the dumbest loving premise for a joke. "Let's get Ray Romano as a handyman that only Homer has seen so everyone thinks he's nuts!"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BigDave posted:

God that was the dumbest loving premise for a joke. "Let's get Ray Romano as a handyman that only Homer has seen so everyone thinks he's nuts!"

And it was nearer the start of the show than to the present day, Christ.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Simpsons was a product of Bright Color 90's, which actually started in the 80's. All the best episodes actually aired in Flannel 90's, however.

People don't seem to remember what different decades the two were.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

My grandpa didn't let me watch King of the Hill because he thought it was "Those Butthead cartoons"

That sucks, but I appropriate the irony of that being the exact same kind of thing that Hank Hill would do/say.

"those Butthead cartoons look like something that was made by a jackass."

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is this some post season 10 poo poo?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh no, this predates Season 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqh5ROtQRg

I don't get it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqe0bh0Uyk&t=200s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh no, this predates Season 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqh5ROtQRg

I don't get it either.

The target audience had lead poisoning, probably.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lizard Combatant posted:

the reason i know about him is the king of the hill episode where his stupid joke crack pings bobby's brain

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the reason i know about him is the king of the hill episode where his stupid joke crack pings bobby's brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-tiiZz6pk&t=138s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I don't get it either.

Then it's a self inflicted wound, my friend.