Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any opinions on the Streets of Rogue character pack?

[edit] I'll probably grab it anyway, it's pretty cheap and I've got way more than what I paid for in entertainment from this game

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Of course I died shortly afterwards

This was the perfect drat weapon for the marine master trait Onslaught.

Nice piece

But why would you play as anything but a Gun Kata cleric

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally killed my first Tower Warlord in Dungeonmans. Fuuuuuuuuck those guys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They're great! ...assuming you can handle them of course. And assuming they're the right class. Warlord weapons are the best reliably-available weapons in the game, but if you're a mage and the warlord you fought was a bannermans, that's not super helpful.

The best is when you face an archer warlord when you have both Arrow Time (passive that lets you send projectiles back where they came from) and the banner that puts starlight burns on enemies. Archer warlords bounce all over the place while shooting you, and are normally a tremendous pain to fight...but with Arrow Time they pretty much can't touch you and instead every attack they make lands back on them with added starlight damage. They basically shoot themselves to bits while you stand there and Matrix dodge everything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're great! ...assuming you can handle them of course. And assuming they're the right class. Warlord weapons are the best reliably-available weapons in the game, but if you're a mage and the warlord you fought was a bannermans, that's not super helpful.

The best is when you face an archer warlord when you have both Arrow Time (passive that lets you send projectiles back where they came from) and the banner that puts starlight burns on enemies. Archer warlords bounce all over the place while shooting you, and are normally a tremendous pain to fight...but with Arrow Time they pretty much can't touch you and instead every attack they make lands back on them with added starlight damage. They basically shoot themselves to bits while you stand there and Matrix dodge everything.

They can be something besides Bannermans? All the ones I've seen so far have been Bannermans. Love to have my Stamina and Mana constantly drained by enemy banners, and to have the enemy get reinforcements that keep healing them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's...uh, there's Bannermans, Rangermans, Wizardmans, and I forget what the melee one is called, probably Fightermans. I think those are the only warlord types. Bannermans is certainly the most annoying to deal with. I guess my Dungeonmans Protip would be to always take the banner skills yourself; they're strong, and they work well with every class (and have no equipment requirement). One of them gives you stamina/mana recovery when you damage enemies and basically lets you use your skills nonstop (well, still subject to Strain).

Oh, my other protip is use your frickin' consumables if you weren't already. Life gets a lot easier if you're tanked up on battle/armor potions and resist scrolls. Hopefully by the time you're dealing with warlords you have a Scroll of Defy Damage or two; your first warlord is definitely a worthy time to use one of those (otherwise save them for Ancient Kings). They don't last long though, so they're best used to let you set up the other, longer-lasting buffs, and to heal if necessary.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, there's...uh, there's Bannermans, Rangermans, Wizardmans, and I forget what the melee one is called, probably Fightermans. I think those are the only warlord types. Bannermans is certainly the most annoying to deal with. I guess my Dungeonmans Protip would be to always take the banner skills yourself; they're strong, and they work well with every class (and have no equipment requirement). One of them gives you stamina/mana recovery when you damage enemies and basically lets you use your skills nonstop (well, still subject to Strain).

Oh, my other protip is use your frickin' consumables if you weren't already. Life gets a lot easier if you're tanked up on battle/armor potions and resist scrolls. Hopefully by the time you're dealing with warlords you have a Scroll of Defy Damage or two; your first warlord is definitely a worthy time to use one of those (otherwise save them for Ancient Kings). They don't last long though, so they're best used to let you set up the other, longer-lasting buffs, and to heal if necessary.

Oh yeah I took the skills for the melee and ranged banners early but haven't gone past the first skill in either line. And yeah lots of potion and scroll use in that fight, which is great until a Trickster Mage steals all of your buffs :argh:

I'm 15 hours deep with this character that I rage-created when I lost my last character unexpectedly, game is great! If only the "auto-run to nearest up/down stairs" function worked...

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

ZearothK posted:

[edit] I'll probably grab it anyway, it's pretty cheap and I've got way more than what I paid for in entertainment from this game

I purchased it on release before steam was even advertising it. Much for the same reason you have here. Thus far the new classes add a lot of different ways to play the game. Courier has it's own mini game as a big quest. Like you said, I'm 100+ hours into a game I spent :tenbux: on. Gotta support goon devs!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does streets of rogue have like, an endgame goal? are you progressing through the world in some way?

e: i guess what im really asking is can you beat it or is it just a sandbox?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Awesome! posted:

does streets of rogue have like, an endgame goal? are you progressing through the world in some way?

There is a final stage with multiple endings based on your choices and behaviors. And then the sandbox starts over. That's all I 'll say without spoilers but you can look up the Wiki endings page if you want those.

On a similar Streets of Rogue beat, I AM VERY BAD AT THIS GAME five hours in.

I'd say the farthest I've gotten is 2-3. Hazards are often a killer for me - Zombies are no bueno to the extreme, but ultimately I feel like I'm just not SEEING enough of how to manipulate the game to play it well. If anyone has any tips or a link to a solid Git Gud page for the game that I can process without going through page after page of wiki, it'd be much appreciated.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Cheesiest way through is to spend all your money on more tranquilizer darts. More darts.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's a lot easier coop since you can revive your buddies with cash or half of your current hit points.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Memnaelar posted:

There is a final stage with multiple endings based on your choices and behaviors. And then the sandbox starts over. That's all I 'll say without spoilers but you can look up the Wiki endings page if you want those.

I'd say the farthest I've gotten is 2-3. Hazards are often a killer for me - Zombies are no bueno to the extreme, but ultimately I feel like I'm just not SEEING enough of how to manipulate the game to play it well. If anyone has any tips or a link to a solid Git Gud page for the game that I can process without going through page after page of wiki, it'd be much appreciated.

Difficulty will depend on the character you're playing, IMNHO. I think Soldier is probably the easiest one to start with, as you can resolve a lot of threats by just shooting at them and then you can shoot the threats you created because you keep shooting things. Gorilla is another easy and fun one to go with as you and your posse just throttle problems.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I bought Streets of Rogue this week and it's been pretty fun. My first character died almost inmediately, but the second one, a soldier, got all the way to the uptown (stage 5-2 I believe). Now I'm playing with a gorilla, freeing others and leading roving bands of genocidal gorillas is fun, but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping them alive

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Buy drugs, put the bad ones in the aircon.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I only have one win in Streets of Rogue and I'm pretty sure it was with Cop, because other cops will happily shoot anyone for you.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I only have one win in Streets of Rogue and I'm pretty sure it was with Cop, because other cops will happily shoot anyone for you.

Sure, but how do they act in the game? :v:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I like turning on the mutator that changes your class each level to keep things interesting. I hate the stock broker guy who starts addicted but it adds urgency which is cool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Armor-Piercing posted:

zombie + all levels are zombie attack mutator also works pretty well, although your random unarmed idiots start having trouble in the lategame what with the heavily armed cops

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I did better in Streets of Rogue when I stopped trying to have a "perfect" playthrough that was all-stealth because it gives the best bonuses, and instead just started shooting my way through problems.

Shooting things works very well. Just set off all the alarms and end every map being chased by every other character on the map. It's fine.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol the "Trivial" ratings on these Ancient Castles are some false loving advertising if I've ever seen it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ZearothK posted:

If you like the basegame, the character pack is great.

I've only seriously played the demolitionist so far but she's a blast. :haw: Also the best stealth character once you get the hang of the remote explosives that are her whole Thing, she can "sell" any other item to her explosive-generator item to get a remote bomb. Two will kill most any NPC. You do want to spend most of your found items on explosives, her Big Quest is blowing up 75 tiles of wall per level.

also turning on explosive bodies helps a lot with that, in addition to being Very Funny

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Awesome! posted:

one more thing i didn't see mentioned is that each character has an optional quest line with objectives to do on their run.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got my first win in Streets of Rogue after not touching it since Park was the final zone. Played the Robot while my friend played the Demolitionist, Even though co-op obviously makes things easier things got kinda risky in the last couple levels. Ended up killing the boss by having him use an invisibility syringe and running in, dropping a ton of bombs and just detonating them lol.

I haven't messed much with the DLC classes but I found mech pilot kind of a let down. Not being able to go through doors in the mech kills alot of the fun considering how many objectives are in bases with unbreakable walls.

e: Also the Robot is really drat OP, not that I care about balance in a game like this but your drawbacks are really only present if you loiter way too long in a level and run out of things to zap which I only ran into once. Also your traits mean Zombies are neutral to you and the ooze doesn't do any damage so both of those floor modifiers are basically defanged which is goofy.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 2, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I remember a fair number of people here liking the Siralim games, which IIRC are basically a roguelike version of the Persona/SMT series - there's a new one up on Kickstarter now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Streets of rogue is one of those games where I don't feel my losses that strongly. I dunno how you git gud because the character options you have are so disparate in terms of power and strategy. One piece of advice I would give is after you get nugged up use the loadout guy and buy resurrection shampoo for a guarentee'd win. buy one, keep another and you'll have three lives to work with instead of one.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

I remember a fair number of people here liking the Siralim games, which IIRC are basically a roguelike version of the Persona/SMT series - there's a new one up on Kickstarter now.

Nice I've been waiting for this to pop up after they announced it and teased it on their devblog.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You git gud in Streets of Rogue by figuring out many many item/ability interactions and learning how to apply them creatively.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

You git gud in Streets of Rogue by figuring out many many item/ability interactions and learning how to apply them creatively.
I've gotten one win so far and it was by turning on the Infinite Ammmo mutator as the Soldier and solving all my problems by shooting them.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Zereth posted:

I've gotten one win so far and it was by turning on the Infinite Ammmo mutator as the Soldier and solving all my problems by shooting them.

My first win was co-op. Embrace the chaos. Perhaps we can run a goon game? Streets of Quarantine, everybody is a zombie or some other monstrosity.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zereth posted:

That's more or less a fair win anyway, since that's also how Soldier plays without mutators :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the unsung hero of the DLC is the courier. That guy is fun as gently caress

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Just had a Demo run make it to the Mayor Village, complete his big quest, and picked up Clumsiness Forgiven, Promise I'll Return It, and Wrong Building. NPCs don't care if they see me drop bombs, they don't care if I blow up their stuff with my bombs, then they don't care when I trespass into their homes and take all their poo poo. It's pretty hilarious just wandering around with high explosives with no reaction as long as I turn a corner if someone is going to get actually injured.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pumpinglemma posted:

Thanks for this - I knew the Siralim Ultimate kickstarter was coming but not when and I did want to back it so this is the first I saw it and it was helpful.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
After a long time of poking at it I finally beat ToME... on normal... and adventure

Played a dwarf cursed, which I hadn't played before and didn't really have any knowledge about, I just picked it because it was a class I hadn't tried and didn't really expect to get very far. Once it came online though I was having a great time. I liked that its basically a bump into stuff kind of class but with a lot of interesting systems to support that playstyle. It took me awhile to figure out how cursed items worked and how strong they can be but eventually I got to the point where I could just walk into stuff and a bunch of minions and poison clouds and poo poo would spawn everywhere. I dunno how it compares to the rest of the lineup but the class seemed very strong to me.

Previously I had never made to the east as I usually run out of lives somewhere in the T2 dungeons usually through incompetence or just not knowing how dangerous things can be. This run was on the same trajectory as I died a couple times early (it had been awhile and I forgot how important good infusions are) and then a couple more to stupid poo poo (drowned in water dungeon because I'm an idiot) but then things started to turn around and I noticed I was a lot tankier than usual. I think the cursed innate confusion/stun resist helped a lot, and I found some good equipment in the T2s including this thing in the sandworm lair:

Obviously I'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure this thing is crazy good, especially that early on, and I used it literally the entire game. I found a few weapons that were close but nothing beat it, although I avoided all the vaults in the prides.

By the time I was finishing up the T2s I felt very overpowered, which I guess is to be expected on normal, but there were a few things that still killed me. One was the graveyard boss next to Last Hope. I went in the first time and got owned and thought ah well my fault I'm too low level for this. Then I came back five levels later and got owned again lol. I also died to the orc pride that is full of casters. Casters in general somewhat plagued me throughout the playthrough as I never really got very good elemental resists, and the boss of that pride just toasted me before I could get away. I was nervous walking into the final fight with no lives left but I beat them surprisingly easily. Felt good to finally see that victory screen.

I'm already thinking about my next playthrough as I unlocked a bunch of cool looking classes that run, though the thought of another 15 hour campaign is making me tired. I'll definitely be bumping it up to nightmare now so my next few runs will probably end a lot sooner than that. Might grab some dlc while I'm on this ToME kick but gently caress if I'm gonna learn try to learn the embers campaign right now. Anyways, TOME GOOD!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is the most TOME.jpg thing I have ever seen. 0.4% crit mult (max 40%) and +6% mind resist, indeed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Embers campaign is a lot faster than the main one, and Sawbutchers are pretty simple and strong.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's more or less a fair win anyway, since that's also how Soldier plays without mutators :v:
I don't think I could've killed that off-brand Terminator without infinite ammo, though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

It's not really a roguelike but people were talking about it itt - Lobotomy Co is half off on steam right now ($12.50 usd) and the devs just posted today that they've retranslated the whole game, so maybe give it a shot if you were on the fence? I just picked it up on a whim

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Hooplah posted:

It's not really a roguelike but people were talking about it itt - Lobotomy Co is half off on steam right now ($12.50 usd) and the devs just posted today that they've retranslated the whole game, so maybe give it a shot if you were on the fence? I just picked it up on a whim

I wondered what that patch was! That's great, I've started that game a few times but haven't really dug in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zereth posted:

I don't think I could've killed that off-brand Terminator without infinite ammo, though.

You can actually kill that dude fairly reliably - if you have an absurd amount of patience and a conveniently placed building with metal walls. The killer robot tries to lead its shots a little, so with a bit of practice, you can learn how to deke such that it blows itself up by launching a rocket into the wall next to it. Combine this with an indestructible metal building and a lot of kiting, and you can slowly chew through that massive health pool.

It's generally much easier/less unfun to just outrun the thing, though.