Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

I meant the whole quote, like, from open block to close block. I'm guessing that you didn't write that summary yourself.

Is some part of it inconsistent with the known facts or is there some other reason why you are not answering the question.

https://www.theunion.com/news/nevada-county-woman-says-joe-biden-inappropriately-touched-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

How kind of you to defend the rights of poor impoverished naif Joe Biden then.

Honestly the mental gymnastics on display are just impressive here. I think you're about a half dozen posts away from invoking Emmett Till, tops.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1256029751497699333

If the best we can hope for is another mayor pete then i hope climate change wipes us out first.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Joe Biden is a great candidate because ______________

I have literally never seen someone fill in the blank without using the word Trump

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I love ("love") how Reade's character needs to be thoroughly examined, and any flaws have to be litigated over and over again.

But Biden's character doesn't seem to enter into it. The guy's a liar! He lies constantly, over and over again, in well-documented ways, even to the point of pretending to have lived the life of Neil Kinnock. He's got a long history of being a gigantic creep, both in front of and away from cameras.

But Reade might have made some weird tweets? She didn't respond to trauma in the approved manner? Well, gee, I just don't know about her credibility...

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Ershalim posted:

There's usually a step where people say she might be misremembering that someone else probably did it, but you've got the general trend.

Ah! You’re right! How could I have forgotten the stone cold classic “she was all hopped up on goofballs! It coulda been anyone!”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Luckily for the good people of SA, being "a creep" is not illegal or indicative of any specific wrongdoing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somfin posted:

So what is your actual timeline for this lie

We have evidence from 1993

How did that come into existence

I'm intrigued by where the second quote in your post is sourced from

What are you asking me exactly? What lie are you referring too? To be clear, I am unsure of what occurred between them in 1993 and I don't have enough information to determine that at the moment. The stuff I have read has - at least so far - just made me more confused and that's why I am asking questions like is this multiple twitter personalities thing true?

Here's a good timeline of events,

A Timeline Of Tara Reade’s Sexual Assault Allegations Against Joe Biden

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Is some part of it inconsistent with the known facts or is there some other reason why you are not answering the question.

https://www.theunion.com/news/nevada-county-woman-says-joe-biden-inappropriately-touched-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

Weird, that summary doesn't match the one you quoted. But it does match the one on Forbes, and that summary goes into some detail about the 1993 call to Larry King Live, something you and Scientist Al Gore are very reluctant to explain.

Before I engage with anyone who is questioning why a sexual assault victim might have withheld information when speaking to different people I'd like them to explain the 1993 call.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Ershalim posted:

There's usually a step where people say she might be misremembering that someone else probably did it, but you've got the general trend.

I wish I could remember more of the defenses for Kavanaugh all those years ago, those ones were goofy as hell. All I really remember was some guy who wanted to hire a pre-teen girl to wander around a dark neighborhood, for reasons.

I guess "Tara Reade is a secret twitter russian" is the replacement for those ones.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1255908717620576263?s=19

I'd make some effortpost about how :effort: this is, but... seriously, I just can't right now.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Falstaff posted:

I love ("love") how Reade's character needs to be thoroughly examined, and any flaws have to be litigated over and over again.

But Biden's character doesn't seem to enter into it. The guy's a liar! He lies constantly, over and over again, in well-documented ways, even to the point of pretending to have lived the life of Neil Kinnock. He's got a long history of being a gigantic creep, both in front of and away from cameras.

But Reade might have made some weird tweets? She didn't respond to trauma in the approved manner? Well, gee, I just don't know about her credibility...

Remember when Biden boldface lied about his voting record in a debate with Bernie and the moderator just let him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i think something did happen and she got fired for reporting it. so their is there is shittyness on bidens part no matter what.

there is more evidence for harassment and retaliation and firing than for rape

biden should be rejected from the nomination for harassment, let alone retaliation

there is sufficient evidence for the rape allegation / insufficient evidence against that i believe it, given the baseline we as human beings should work with

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

Luckily for the good people of SA, being "a creep" is not illegal or indicative of any specific wrongdoing.

sadly for Joe Biden, it appears to be a reason to vote for someone else

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

Weird, that summary doesn't match the one you quoted. But it does match the one on Forbes, and that summary goes into some detail about the 1993 call to Larry King Live, something you and Scientist Al Gore are very reluctant to explain.

Before I engage with anyone who is questioning why a sexual assault victim might have withheld information when speaking to different people I'd like them to explain the 1993 call.

Was the summary in any way inaccurate? If the summary is not inaccurate, based on the two direct sources provided, then the question is very simple. Which of those Reades should have been believed, given one of them said something inherently untrue given the statements provided by the other?

The rest of the article, nor is its publisher, relevant if you accept those two primary sources. Go ahead and not think about that quote, then, and use the two primary sources. Should the Reade from the linked call be believed, or the Reade from the Union article? If you didn't read either, it seems very odd that you would claim to be informed about the available evidence, since that is the available evidence in its primary format.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there is more evidence for harassment and retaliation and firing than for rape

biden should be rejected from the nomination for harassment, let alone retaliation

there is sufficient evidence for the rape allegation / insufficient evidence against that i believe it, given the baseline we as human beings should work with

Do you happen to have any of the articles you've read bookmarked perhaps? Or if anyone does I'd like really to read through in detail.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Do you happen to have any of the articles you've read bookmarked perhaps? Or if anyone does I'd like really to read through in detail.

maybe later tonight, but i was also planning to do some more states for the drat convention thread, so :shrug:

whatever I get round to, whenever i get round to it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Falstaff posted:

We also know Tara Reade is a liar based on her internally inconsistent testimony, which I linked from its primary sources.

*Again, not that they're different versions of events. They fundamentally cannot both be true.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Pick posted:

We also know Tara Reade is a liar based on her internally inconsistent testimony, which I linked from its primary sources.

*Again, not that they're different versions of events. They fundamentally cannot both be true.

quote:

She didn't respond to trauma in the approved manner? Well, gee, I just don't know about her credibility...

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this discourse is very good because it should illuminate to everyone (whose brain hasn’t already been overtaken by the worms) that the liberal objection to Trump is entirely an aesthetic one. The second their guy is credibly accused of rape they start to sound exactly like the reddit MRAs and MAGA chuds they claim to hate so much.
Why’d she wait so long?!?
Her story keeps changing!!!
The bitch is a liar!!!
etc etc etc

e: 🎵I know why ~~~🎵
VVVV

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Should the Reade from the linked call be believed, or the Reade from the Union article?

You can easily believe both of them, if all you assume is that she withheld the full rape story from the Union article.

Can you try, please, to explain how the 1993 Larry King call fits into your assessment that she's making it up? This is a super heavy sticking point for me and I don't understand why people aren't engaging with it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's pretty incredible to watch people decide to actually take a stand and say that Joe Biden is not a rapist and that Tara Reade is a suspicious lying Russian agent. Wasn't sure what the new thread would bring, but I guess since we're talking about the general now and not the primary it's finally time to go full mask off and double-tap metoo.

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."

PerniciousKnid posted:

If president Biden doesn't sign benefit cuts as part of some Grand Bargain to balance the budget I'll eat this banana on my head.

Exactly. He sells himself now as the Grand Bargain candidate. If Trump wins again, it will be suicide for the GOP to do anything other than the most modest cuts, and the Dems will be obligated to fight that. If Biden wins, he will press the Dems to Grand Bargain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That is not the content of the primary sources. She claimed, initially, that

quote:

In June 1993 Reade found herself in an office without windows. Two months later she left Biden’s office, she said.

Reade said Biden’s senior staff protected the senator. She was considered a distraction. Reade said she didn’t consider the acts toward her sexualization. She instead compared her experience to being a lamp.

“It’s pretty. Set it over there,” she said. “Then when it’s too bright, you throw it away.”

That is from her article with her hometown newspaper, The Union. Later, she claimed to have been violated with Biden's hand. These two testimonies are inherently incompatible.

As a person in possession of a vagina, I am also having trouble logistically working out how this played out, but that's part of a continuing conversation with peers in possession of this organ.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Uncle Wemus posted:

If the best we can hope for is another mayor pete then i hope climate change wipes us out first.

Does anyone really think it won't be Mayor Pete in 2024? He has the backing of the establishment and corporates, and now has name recognition, and will spend the next 4 years doing things like filling in for Jimmy Kimmel to continue to build that name recognition and increase his likeability. Everyone else is going to be playing catch-up trying to raise as much money or get their name out of there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Somfin posted:

You can easily believe both of them, if all you assume is that she withheld the full rape story from the Union article.

Can you try, please, to explain how the 1993 Larry King call fits into your assessment that she's making it up? This is a super heavy sticking point for me and I don't understand why people aren't engaging with it.

supports the retaliation/harassment claims, not the rape claim, necessarily

her mum says "a thing happened and it sucked and the senate office trashed her for it and it sucked" and the thing may have been 'just' harassment and the followup was 'just' crushing the career of a young woman who wanted to be deeply involved in Democratic politics

but while a history of harassment and retaliation and contempt isn't, you know, great for "Joe Biden didn't rape anybody", you can see where people are coming from when they shrug

i think the shruggers are wrong to do so, i don't think there's nearly enough evidence to disbelieve Tara Reade edit: and there's some definite evidence for the rape allegation: anonymous friend, definitely neighbor, maybe mother, maybe brother

which is way more than enough for me

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's pretty incredible to watch people decide to actually take a stand and say that Joe Biden is not a rapist and that Tara Reade is a suspicious lying Russian agent. Wasn't sure what the new thread would bring, but I guess since we're talking about the general now and not the primary it's finally time to go full mask off and double-tap metoo.

this is modhat off but i think you're misrepresenting the posts you happen not to actually quote

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 1, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

These two testimonies are inherently incompatible.

They're really not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

Her mom claimed something happened. I think something did. I think her original testimony is consistent with the Larry King call. It is possible that she was sexually assaulted but I do not believe the King call is evidence.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Remember when a bunch of women accused Biden of inappropriate conduct and there was an effort to downplay and smear them, then some Tara person chimed in that she too had suffered similar harassment? Maybe it's not easy for someone to come out and admit in excruciating detail what all happened to them in the national spotlight knowing many will try to destroy their life and reputation.

Remember Biden's first public appearance after that he made a bunch of jokes about consent including with a child? What a stand up guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

They're really not.

Claiming you weren't sexualized and that you were "like a lamp" is not consistent with "forced me against a wall, kissed me without consent, inserted his fingers into my vagina, and yelled 'you're nothing!' when I did not reciprocate".

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

Somfin posted:

The call does not necessarily mean that she hasn't embellished her testimony or that it even involved Biden himself.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Pick posted:

That is not the content of the primary sources. She claimed, initially, that

That is from her article with her hometown newspaper, The Union. Later, she claimed to have been violated with Biden's hand. These two testimonies are inherently incompatible.

Yes, people sometimes react to trauma in different ways. They might lie to themselves. Try to convince themselves it was something it wasn't. Or try to pretend it was something less than it was, to push the trauma down or to reject the label of victim. Sometimes rape or abuse victims will interact with their rapists in a friendly manner the very next day, because that kind of trauma can be difficult to process. None of this is even uncommon.

Oh, right, and there's also this...

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Maybe it's not easy for someone to come out and admit in excruciating detail what all happened to them in the national spotlight knowing many will try to destroy their life and reputation.

So, again...

quote:

She didn't respond to trauma in the approved manner? Well, gee, I just don't know about her credibility...

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 1, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Gadfly posted:

Exactly. He sells himself now as the Grand Bargain candidate. If Trump wins again, it will be suicide for the GOP to do anything other than the most modest cuts, and the Dems will be obligated to fight that. If Biden wins, he will press the Dems to Grand Bargain.

Why would it be suicide for them to do anything other than modest cuts? Trump is not going to have to worry about re-election and doing things that might be used to attack him, so he is more likely to sign off on whatever McConnell wants as long as McConnell doesn't get in the way of letting Stephen Miller do what he wants.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TyrantWD posted:

Does anyone really think it won't be Mayor Pete in 2024? He has the backing of the establishment and corporates, and now has name recognition, and will spend the next 4 years doing things like filling in for Jimmy Kimmel to continue to build that name recognition and increase his likeability. Everyone else is going to be playing catch-up trying to raise as much money or get their name out of there.

He will definitely try, I don't think he'll come anywhere near being the nominee.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Falstaff posted:

Yes, people sometimes react to trauma in different ways. They might lie to themselves. Try to convince themselves it was something it wasn't. Or try to pretend it was something less than it was, to push the trauma down or to reject the label of victim. Sometimes rape or abuse victims will interact with their rapists in a friendly manner the very next day, because that kind of trauma can be difficult to process. None of this is even uncommon.

Oh, right, and there's also this...

So, again...

It is true that someone can tell themselves very different versions of the same story. However, if you are going to make an allegation of sexual assault, I think it is only fair for the person who you are accusing to point out incidences where you went on the record denying that they committed sexual assault.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Pick posted:

It is true that someone can tell themselves very different versions of the same story. However, if you are going to make an allegation of sexual assault, I think it is only fair for the person who you are accusing to point out incidences where you went on the record denying that this person has committed sexual assault against them.

You're not Joe Biden, so why are you doing it for him? Why hasn't his campaign already done it?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Hold on guys, I gotta post excitedly and intensely about defending rapists and not trusting their victims.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brownhat posted:

You're not Joe Biden, so why are you doing it for him? Why hasn't his campaign already done it?

Women who have worked for him and women who currently work with him, including women who take sexual assault allegations seriously and who I trust to act in good faith, like Gillibrand, have already done this.

I am doing this because I legitimately believe in due process, in evidence, and in sexual assault being treated as a serious enough crime that an accusation must be evaluated seriously and not be accepted or rejected on the grounds of its political convenience.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Pick posted:

It is true that someone can tell themselves very different versions of the same story. However, if you are going to make an allegation of sexual assault, I think it is only fair for the person who you are accusing to point out incidences where you went on the record denying that they committed sexual assault.

The simplest reason is that she's accusing someone who is very powerful and well-connected, and so he (or his allies) had been applying pressure on her to keep her testimony either absent or limited. In a vacuum it would be fair to poke holes in her testimony, but she's currently a highly visible target to a lot of really lovely people for something that is unlikely to benefit her in any way and will almost definitely force her to move and functionally disappear from public life, so ... I'm not really sure why you would think she'd opt into that unless she had a pretty good reason.

Nobody who lived through Dr. Ford's testimony would fool themselves into thinking it would be some kind of glamorous take down, so for her to have led with a smaller crime (harassment and retribution) only to reveal it was a larger one later on tracks pretty well with how people come to terms with what they believe will be extremely difficult situations. Like how lots of gay people come out as bi first, for a crude example.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pick posted:

Why do you think the Biden campaign lied about the New York Times investigating it and saying it was false?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

joepinetree posted:

Why do you think the Biden campaign lied about the New York Times investigating it and saying it was false?

I would not have phrased it that way but I do think that the tone of the NYT article is that the accusation was not inherently credible. Obviously no one should say it was proven false. It can't be proven false.