Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Admiral Ray posted:

So why wouldn't they just have those parts damaged, if at all? The Normandy has reaper tech in it too and it didn't explode.

If the pulse seeks out all reaper tech and kills it then no mass effect fields should work ever again. Control should have given Shepard control of EDI and the Geth, but it doesn't.

Edit: To be clear I'm not looking for actual answers because it's pretty clear the writers didn't think this ending through. I'm just saying that it's easy enough to retcon it if they wanted to.

I think the writers possibly did think it through, they just didn't care about the things you care about e.g. keeping the robot characters around for a sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Never stop defending the precious, infallible, misunderstood writers of Mass Effect (3) :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:speculate:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the writers possibly did think it through, they just didn't care about the things you care about e.g. keeping the robot characters around for a sequel

I don't really give a gently caress that they died, it was worth it to sacrifice them to kill the reapers. I just want consistent pulse behavior. Control should have resulted in Shepard taking control of EDI and the Geth since Destroy killed them.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It is canon that Shepard moves hearts and minds to historically reconcile the two factions that had been warring for generations, and they agreed to share their mutual homeland, and then a week later he wiped one of those factions completely out of existence

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It is known that the geth and all Reaper-assisted technology will die with the Reapers because the Reapers said so and have never been demonstrated to lie or manipulate in any way. :speculate:

edit: i like french fries

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
My Argument for the destroy ending being the real ending and not killing the Geth has always been, if you have your warscore high enough you get the nice little ending video of Shephard clearly still alive under wreckage. Given he's mostly reaper tech and if the Starchild was telling the truth, that can't happen.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZombyDog posted:

My Argument for the destroy ending being the real ending and not killing the Geth has always been, if you have your warscore high enough you get the nice little ending video of Shephard clearly still alive under wreckage. Given he's mostly reaper tech and if the Starchild was telling the truth, that can't happen.

they prolly didn't think that through tbh

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mass Effect - they prolly didn't think that through

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 9, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Pre-extended cut, EDI could even show up in the destroy ending perfectly fine.

They really didn't.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I have it on good authority that they possibly did think it through, they just didn't care about the things you care about e.g. making a compelling and satisfying ending.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I've wrote about this before - here's my pitch to fix the end of Mass Effect 3 and the Mass Effect universe, keeping all the game's assets and horrible decisions but just updating the last hour or so:

The catalyst doesn't actually defeat the reapers directly - it nullifies indoctrination. Everyone who was under the Reapers' control is suddenly cut loose, their troops fall like puppets or are completely confused, and the Reaper fleet is thrown into chaos.

They still need to be defeated conventionally, and how well they are defeated depends on your war assets score. If it's high enough, it's like the suicide mission - everyone gets to survive.

When you are eradicating the last Reaper they say something ominous like 'You think this defeats us? You have no idea what we truly are' or whatever so they remain a mysterious malevolent force that can keep Gannoning the Hyrule.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My fanfiction was that the Crucible allows you to control the mass relays, isolating the reapers and allowing you to divide and conquer. That way, an entire game spent building an alliance, mobilizing forces, and rescuing survivors actually feels like it means something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My head canon is that the people who wrote the codex were going for Indoctrination Theory but the leadership just read that German kid's letter and went :hurr:.

Anywho, looks like ME:A was bad enough to kill the likely reboot prequel featuring Anderson/Saren. :shrug:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hey, here's how to make a new mass effect game

ignore mass effect 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's what they did with Andromeda and it was cowardly + resulted in a stupid game nobody liked. If they have to make another Mass Effect game they should acknowledge the endings to ME3 in a meaningful way that advances the story or else it'll be endless prequels and side stories with no stakes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

That's what they did with Andromeda and it was cowardly + resulted in a stupid game nobody liked. If they have to make another Mass Effect game they should acknowledge the endings to ME3 in a meaningful way that advances the story or else it'll be endless prequels and side stories with no stakes.
They didn't really ignore it and it's not why Andromeda wasn't great.

E: Ah yes, "stakes", the thing Mass Effect needs more of. Maybe instead of a thing threatening the galaxy it should be the entire universe, no, multiple universes next time :raise:

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 10, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"Meanwhile, this other thing you never heard of was happening 2mil light years away" is about the most transparent sidestep to ME3 you could do given the circumstances. It's not the only reason why Andromeda was bad but it certainly contributed to the blandness of the setting, all the story beats directly ripped off from Mass Effect 1, and serving up memes in lieu of actual character development. The stakes don't have to span the entire galaxy (even though they still kinda do in Andromeda) but they should probably feel connected or meaningful to everything that came before instead of being so bad it canonically killed all the Quarians due to catastrophic badgame failure.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't actually have to alter the MEA plot much to make it a direct sequel that connects it to "everything that came before" and take ME3's poo poo heap of a plot into account. I'm thinking this could even have been cheaper/easier by the time they had to abandon the procedurally generated exploration game they set out to make, but of course by then it was too late to do anything about it.

That would make it a ~true Mass Effect~ game by your standards but it still wouldn't fix any of the issues the game has and make it a better game. MEA being bland was entirely on the devs making a bland game (ie. running out of time and going with what they know worked before in the least imaginative way short of directly remastering the first game).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

But that's exactly what I'm saying: Not being able to advance the story or established races of Mass Effect directly contributed to Andromeda's failure to create an engaging narrative. Bioware knew they obviously had to bring back some elements of the original series, but because they couldn't build upon those elements in any meaningful way, you ended up with a plot and characters that were effectively in meme stasis from what people remembered about them in 2010. Krogans like to fight! Salarians are quirky! Asari Commandos are real badasses, did I tell you I trained with them?! It's such a lazy retread that this bold new galaxy doesn't feel that new at all. Obviously a direct sequel to ME3 could have been equally inadventurous, but Andromeda was already hamstrung by its core concept. If this is how all future potential Mass Effects are going to dance around ME3, then I would rather they just not be made.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

exquisite tea posted:

I would rather they just not be made.

I think you'll get your wish.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ashpanash posted:

I've wrote about this before - here's my pitch to fix the end of Mass Effect 3 and the Mass Effect universe, keeping all the game's assets and horrible decisions but just updating the last hour or so:

The catalyst doesn't actually defeat the reapers directly - it nullifies indoctrination. Everyone who was under the Reapers' control is suddenly cut loose, their troops fall like puppets or are completely confused, and the Reaper fleet is thrown into chaos.

They still need to be defeated conventionally, and how well they are defeated depends on your war assets score. If it's high enough, it's like the suicide mission - everyone gets to survive.

When you are eradicating the last Reaper they say something ominous like 'You think this defeats us? You have no idea what we truly are' or whatever so they remain a mysterious malevolent force that can keep Gannoning the Hyrule.

Pretty impressive how you actually managed to come up with a worse ending than the writers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Admiral Ray posted:

The easiest thing, creatively, is to choose an ending and retcon the parts that make it fuckin' stupid.
It really is as simple as this. The thing is, though, that the heads in charge spent so much time just stubbornly, pigheadedly refusing to acknowledge anything wrong with these three endings where you completely nullify every interesting element from the last three games that, to this day, I'm not actually sure Bioware knows which parts were fuckin' stupid and why. Eight years after the fact and, y'know what, I bet you the original writers would still defend the Starchild asspulls, just like people here still do, and claim that the only reason people don't like it is 'cuz there weren't smart enough to "get it."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mymla posted:

Pretty impressive how you actually managed to come up with a worse ending than the writers.

Yeah, I got $0 for it, too

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

just to be explicit, the core concept of andromeda is fine imho: exploration of the unknown aboard giant sleeper ships is sci-fi as gently caress and is well at home with the pulpier elements of mass effect

it's really the core motivation for embracing that concept, a lethargic desire to preserve the old galaxy past its expiration date even tho it had long since gone bad, that's at fault and it's ultimately that motivation which pushed the new setting down a sad road because the desire to preserve moves in a very different direction to the idea of exploring a bold new galaxy where anything goes and the old systems, institutions and histories are millions of light years behind

even a lot of the older, minor concepts like everyone having roughly equivalent tech, which doesn't make sense in a galaxy without the milky way reaper cycle, were lazily ported over anyway because andromeda's writers weren't interested in actually exploring the new idea they created - they just wanted a soft reboot that maintained a certain feel and certain dynamics

i can be optimistic enough to think that a smart company can learn from its narrative mistakes but i don't know how well positioned bioware is to do that anymore - i can believe that a lot of andromeda's mistakes came out of a troubled development cycle that put technology first and writing last but i don't know if bioware's going to actually fix its process, which has whiffed an awful lot lately, or just continue to latch onto quick-fix superficial solutions while keeping development issues in its blind spot

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mymla posted:

It was fine other than the last paragraph honestly, would have been a step up from what we got.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It also might have been interesting to explore the concepts of colonization, empire building, and the cost of encroaching on already occupied lands, but welp! :downsgun:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Never stop defending the precious, infallible, misunderstood writers of Mass Effect (3) :allears:

Never forget about the bad thing in video game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Halloween Jack posted:

My fanfiction was that the Crucible allows you to control the mass relays, isolating the reapers and allowing you to divide and conquer. That way, an entire game spent building an alliance, mobilizing forces, and rescuing survivors actually feels like it means something.

you blew up the relays, the things which, along with the Citadel were the means of controlling the growth and self-determination of galactic civilization for millions of years!! how does that not "mean something"??

me3 was a problem of execution. the destination was not only fine, it was precisely where the story should have ended (specifically the control/destroy choice, i'm not touching synthesis right now, which has further issues of execution). the problem was the journey there.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blue red or green Jell-O sir

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you blew up the relays,
Yeah, with the Crucible. That was the only part of the war effort that really mattered.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think that works though. The Reapers are clearly shown to outfight any individual ship, and if I remember rightly there was a Codex entry stating that you needed 4 capital class ships to have a hope of taking one down, though I don't recall if that was a Reaper Destroyer or one of the big ones. See also an entire human fleet being sacrificed so that parts of one could escape.
There were victories, yes, but it seemed like it was made pretty clear that they were aberrations in an otherwise doomed effort.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orcane posted:

They didn't really ignore it and it's not why Andromeda wasn't great.

E: Ah yes, "stakes", the thing Mass Effect needs more of. Maybe instead of a thing threatening the galaxy it should be the entire universe, no, multiple universes next time :raise:

Use the Logan rule. Drop the stakes.

Kotor II handled the different endings thing relatively well, I thought, so just make a game set in the Mass Effect universe after the fact that deals with the new challenges of being in a devastated galaxy. But now you're just trying to save your abuela instead of the universe.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

orange juche posted:

Blue red or green Jell-O sir

i choose instead to imagine i ate cheesecake

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't think that works though. The Reapers are clearly shown to outfight any individual ship, and if I remember rightly there was a Codex entry stating that you needed 4 capital class ships to words words words etc etc yada yada
Look...forget about the whole "It shouldn't be X amount of impossible to defeat the Reapers" mindset. Forget the in-game diatribes about how they're beyond anything you can possibly bring to bear. Forget about the bloody pyrrhic victory, forget about the ever-so-revolutionary concept of rocks fall everyone dies. Because guess what, they had their genuine chance to pull all that off and blew it so badly that there's no more Mass Effect. I mean, if that was their actual intent then...mission accomplished?

Y'know the actual purpose of a game telling the player that all conventional methods won't be enough to stop the enemy? So that the player will feel satisfied when they do end up finding some method that will stop the enemy. That's it. It's Gandalf going on about how scary Sauron is, it's Palpatine waxing poetic about how he's totally unstoppable, it's friggin' Jafar crowing about how he's the most powerful being ever. It's setting up how difficult it will be to obtain the goal of the storyline, so that the audience feels the utmost sense of catharsis when the heroes pull it off anyway. Trying to read into it any more than that is them trying to outsmart their own story for some reason, probably to make bold claims about how shooting yourself in the foot is actually super groundbreaking.

So a big machine you build to destroy all Reapers instantaneously is completely appropriate. A big gun that you the player shoot at the Reapers that explodes their faces is completely appropriate. Overwhelming the Reapers through the power of galactic friendship, more galactic and more friendly than there ever has been before, is completely appropriate; no one would've batted an eye (in a good way) if that's how the series had in fact ended. If we take the diegetic concept that the Reapers are literally unbeatable by any achievable means as a face value blueprint for this series then we should've stopped playing back in ME1 when you crashed your Mako through space magic and then pimpslapped a Reaper to death through sheer testicular fortitude alone. The only reason the story told you that you couldn't do it is so that you can do it.

Is that predictable? Is that milquetoast? Or is it just writing your story well? Because a story that you can foresee the general outcome of simply means that it's being true to its setup. That doesn't mean there aren't twists and turns, but those twists have to be satisfying in context. If you want to, for some reason, have the genre-flouting upheavals that make it as difficult as humanly possible to actually make more games after this one, then you also have to go through the effort of setting those twists and turns up well through the 100+ hours of gametime that you had available. Honestly, the closest things that modern genre fiction got to establishing a truly pyrrhic, but-at-what-cost, bulldoze-the-worldstate payoff at the end of their gray-scale narrative was Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones and both of them also hosed up their attempts so ineptly that they'll never be remembered as anything more than bad memes now. Maybe people should just stop trying to do...whatever it is that these things are.

G̸̹͈͚̈́o̶͇̣̼̐̈́̊̑̐͜d̶̨̳͓͓̜́̚ ̸̢̛̠̲̀̀I̷͚͇̾̌ ̴̣̺̬̞̦̇̾̍l̵̪͙͎͔̊ṍ̵͇̖̩̏̀͜͜͝v̷̜̪̘̫̋̉e̵̡̤͒̍͐́̅ ̶̻͍̖̻͂̇̃͝M̴̰̣̾̚͝a̷̭̺͂͂͝s̴̼͈͇͉̙͋̒̽̿s̵̰̻̄͗ ̸͋̈́͜Ě̸̠̙̮̺̈́̑͆f̷̲̟͉̰̯͗͑f̸̛͓̲̊̈́͝ͅȩ̶̹̰̋̿c̸̹̹̍̉ͅt̵̟̟̤͔͚̋̀̑͊

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you like Greek food Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a lot better than rear end Defect

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I know, it's 67% off on Steam right now! I never managed to finish it but I probably will now. :hist101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Odyssey is the best ME game since 2 and Kassandra is a fine successor to Shepard (not MaleShep).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Odyssey is the best ME game since 2 and Kassandra is a fine successor to Shepard (not MaleShep).

Shepard's never forced to marry a guy and have a baby with him, so Odyssey will always be an awful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

the achivement was called "Growing Up" lmao