Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tias posted:

Man the generational game is hard to play. Ragnarr Lothbrok did his thing and united the kingdoms of Sweden, Noregr and Denmark, and now his lovely rear end son Asbjørn Dust-Biter (I know, right?) has to retake most of it from his brothers and sister

Another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CapnAndy posted:

If anyone wants to know what holding 116 simultaneous titles looks like:

So yeah, that invasion worked out okay.
So I heard you guys like holding 116 simultaneous titles.

281. The result of an invasion with France, who holds literally all of western Europe, and me deciding that I was about sick to death of them and was going to wipe them all out in one final merciless march across each and every one of their counties until they held nothing.

In actual pratice, my Augusta died from childbirth complications which forced a mid-war new ruler who couldn't even get most of his bonuses because he was uncoronated, plus all my vassals were starting to get awfully snippy about how I'd had their vassals called up for the last decade straight as I attempted to grind the Empire of Francia into the dust, and they were starting to make noise about it. So France still survives, but I took away no less than four kingdoms, and next time will be easier.

I'm just gonna need to go be Feudalism Santa for a few hours first.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just a quick question, I only now saw the link to the dev diary, but none of the pictures show up. Is that a problem on my side, or something to do with the Paradox servers? I also can't access the DD on the Paradox forums.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Torrannor posted:

Just a quick question, I only now saw the link to the dev diary, but none of the pictures show up. Is that a problem on my side, or something to do with the Paradox servers? I also can't access the DD on the Paradox forums.

I think their forums are down for 24 hours for a revamp.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jedit posted:

Another one?

You know how it is. My Lothbrok was super prolific like that, shooting out kids (and inducting them into the Wolf Warriors) until he dropped dead at 69.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So I heard you guys like holding 116 simultaneous titles.

281. The result of an invasion with France, who holds literally all of western Europe, and me deciding that I was about sick to death of them and was going to wipe them all out in one final merciless march across each and every one of their counties until they held nothing.

In actual pratice, my Augusta died from childbirth complications which forced a mid-war new ruler who couldn't even get most of his bonuses because he was uncoronated, plus all my vassals were starting to get awfully snippy about how I'd had their vassals called up for the last decade straight as I attempted to grind the Empire of Francia into the dust, and they were starting to make noise about it. So France still survives, but I took away no less than four kingdoms, and next time will be easier.

I'm just gonna need to go be Feudalism Santa for a few hours first.

Very nice! It's a shame you can't just designate 9 counties to hold and use the 'help distribute' for the rest.

Have they talked about mass title distribution in 3 yet?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Arbite posted:

Very nice! It's a shame you can't just designate 9 counties to hold and use the 'help distribute' for the rest.

Have they talked about mass title distribution in 3 yet?

God I hope they fix the “Ask for help managing titles” feature. That poo poo always gives away my baronies and I loving hate it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

e. This is a lot of words! tl;dr - skip down to the #d questions I have, if you're looking to help a relative beginner out.

What a game. I had heard of CKII off and on just from reading SA but had never bothered to pick it up. Then COVID hit, and the obsession hasn't really waned. So much rich detail. Read someone call themselves a beginner after 150 hours, and that felt amusingly accurate. Quite the game for 150+ hours of playtime to be classified as "a nice start". I see the puppet strings now, but still enjoy the way it all plays out.

In my first go-round, I went all-in on cheats and save scumming. Grew to dominate much of the western half of the map from my start in Navarra. "Highlight" was probably seducing my twin sister and later marrying her and producing many babies - half of which ended up genius/quick ubermensch, the other half ending up hilariously incested - like bedridden and dead by 10. Farted around for a couple hundred years but got tired of needing to constantly console --> "cash" my way to success because of my poor decision making I had built my empire on.

As an aside, this game makes for some awfully incriminating google queries - "how to kill your wife and marry your sister, CK2". Never has so much ridden on just 3 typed characters.

Second go-round I started as a Capet duke in 936. No cheats, but still plenty of save-scumming when it came to pop-up events and assassinations. I successfully got my anti-pope into the papacy, achieved immortality around the year 1300, and controlled nearly the entirety of Europe and Africa north of Timbuktu and East of Constantinople. By the end of the game, I was feasting on the entrails of the dying Byzantines and had converted to Jainism. I just finished up that game and feel like I have a decent-enough grasp of the game mechanics to have a more serious go of it - but I wanted to ask some questions of this thread. Frankly, by the time I was emperor, the game wasn't nearly as fun as it was when I was a backstabbing vassal climbing his way to the top.

This time around, I have activated Conclave and am doing a 1066 Ironman start as Count Roger de Hauteville - vassal to older brother independent Duke Robert de Hauteville, down in the boot of Italy. I just successfully finished off my first holy war, and now have control of 3/6 counties in the de jure duchy of Sicily, plus my original holdings on the mainland. Hoping to get that critical 4th county with another Holy War as soon as I get my vassal opinions up again.

I totally failed at demesne management my first few games. By the end of the second run, I had kept my original capital of Paris, but ended up with a demesne strewn across Francia and Hispania as I wanted to keep the most profitable coastline counties I could find. (Brugges is an absolute juggernaut!). Ended up relying on my retinue much more than my personal levys.

My goal for this game is to create and hold the Duchy of Sicily long-term and maybe try to transition into being the Doge of a merchant republic of Sicily (will I have to do this before/during my initial creation of the Duchy of Sicily to get the titles aligned correctly? Can I even make myself a doge?

More questions:

1. Any warnings/advice about Conclave? Haven't played it at all yet. I have most of the DLC at this point (except for Monks and Mystics and Asian-related DLC). I just got through my first few rounds of childhood focuses. The new council functions seem like they will add another layer of complexity and/or frustration, too.

2. Another general question - any tips for managing Iron Man? It feels like I will have to play fairly conservatively in the early to get myself established. To this point in my CKII career, I have been matrimarrying my non-deceitful daughters to increase familial prestige/increase my choice of dynasty members to choose from. I made gender laws equal for this run, as I want to rule as a queen once I have power to overcome the negative opinion penalty. In the meantime, should I be marrying my daughters off to forge alliances, rather than matrimarrying them? Holy warring as a count vassal to an independent Duke next door to Africa has me pretty nervous, especially as I have already starting throwing rocks at the hornets nest.

3. I have read lots of people that recommend stacking - that I should limit the number of counties I hold and instead develop the poo poo out of just a couple. However:

3a. As a count, I can't give away counties just yet! After my modest little Holy War, I am already at 10/4 Demesne limit. How should I go about distributing land in this scenario in a way that still preserves my primary goal of stacking? I thought handing out the Bishoprics would be an easy way, but that doesn't get me down far enough. It will likely be a while before I can create the Duchy of Sicily, as it will be years before I have the gold at this rate. Will I just have to bite the bullet and give away Baronies for now and then just revoke them later for stacking purposes? (Note that I am also going to turn to raiding after I bring the last remaining Muslim county of Sicily under my thumb to speed the process up.) I also screwed up and picked the 2nd best county on sicily as my capital, prior to my holy war. That doesn't bother me, as I will just wait till my heir takes power to change it.

3b. How should I stack in a way that will help get me established and safe early on - Baronies or Castles? I believe the general wisdom is castles, but I really struggled with making decent cash my last go round before I was able to create merchant republics. It finally twigged to me in the late-game of my last run how massive the penalties for negative opinions/over the demesne limit/over the vassal limit can become, so I get that. More so my question is, how do I organise/develop my holdings to maximise efficiency? I had made a mess of vassalage last time, with no rhyme or reason to who was vassal to who - is that a major problem?

4. My older brother/Lord owns 1/6 counties on Sicily. Is there a way I can get him to give me that county all nice and friendly like, or am I gonna have to go to war? I would like to keep him and his dynasty my friends... for now.

5. I also have questions on raiding - my understanding is I don't actually have to complete a siege to get loot - just that doing so ups considerably the amount of loot you do get? All I have to do is set my dudes to "raid" and then go grind out a siege for a bit and I will automatically receive gold/loot? Have never had the chance to raid before, so am unsure of the mechanics.

6. Follow-up to #1: Does conclave influence my choice of inheritance laws? I had a lot of success with Elective Monarchy and just buying votes in my previous runs. Due to increased council power, should I be more wary of that?

Thanks in advance - from reading a lot of this thread already, I really appreciate how helpful the regulars are!

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stickarts posted:

1. Any warnings/advice about Conclave? Haven't played it at all yet. I have most of the DLC at this point (except for Monks and Mystics and Asian-related DLC). I just got through my first few rounds of childhood focuses. The new council functions seem like they will add another layer of complexity and/or frustration, too.

i prefer playing with conclave than without it. just be aware that sometimes you'll have to have some poweful dipshit on your council just to keep him happy

Stickarts posted:

3. I have read lots of people that recommend stacking - that I should limit the number of counties I hold and instead develop the poo poo out of just a couple. However:

3a. As a count, I can't give away counties just yet! After my modest little Holy War, I am already at 10/4 Demesne limit. How should I go about distributing land in this scenario in a way that still preserves my primary goal of stacking? I thought handing out the Bishoprics would be an easy way, but that doesn't get me down far enough. It will likely be a while before I can create the Duchy of Sicily, as it will be years before I have the gold at this rate. Will I just have to bite the bullet and give away Baronies for now and then just revoke them later for stacking purposes? (Note that I am also going to turn to raiding after I bring the last remaining Muslim county of Sicily under my thumb to speed the process up.) I also screwed up and picked the 2nd best county on sicily as my capital, prior to my holy war. That doesn't bother me, as I will just wait till my heir takes power to change it.

3b. How should I stack in a way that will help get me established and safe early on - Baronies or Castles? I believe the general wisdom is castles, but I really struggled with making decent cash my last go round before I was able to create merchant republics. It finally twigged to me in the late-game of my last run how massive the penalties for negative opinions/over the demesne limit/over the vassal limit can become, so I get that. More so my question is, how do I organise/develop my holdings to maximise efficiency? I had made a mess of vassalage last time, with no rhyme or reason to who was vassal to who - is that a major problem?

stacking your baronies is more of a long term goal. don't go blowing all your cash just barely keeping up with building castles, it's more something to do when you have piles of late game ducats. in the early game, your goal is just to hold all the counties within your capital duchy. you can hold as many counties as possible in a second duchy as well, if you want, but over time you'll want to preference holding multiple baronies across your capital duchy. it's always better to improve the castles you currently have rather than build new ones, but after century or two has passed and you've got a thousand bucks with no other use and an empty holding slot, then start building new castles

if you have a really low demense limit (4 is... not great) and no immediate way of raising it in the short term, try landing any old childless men hanging around your court. marry them off to post-menopausal women as well, BEFORE you land them. as liege you can just marry people off to each other but once landed, the guy is not going to marry an infertile woman. you just want to have someone holding the title who dies without an heir, so the title reverts to you in a few years. you can juggle titles this way with small risk of them not coming back to you eventually

Stickarts posted:

4. My older brother/Lord owns 1/6 counties on Sicily. Is there a way I can get him to give me that county all nice and friendly like, or am I gonna have to go to war? I would like to keep him and his dynasty my friends... for now.

there's basically no way to get land from someone without pissing them off in this game

Stickarts posted:

5. I also have questions on raiding - my understanding is I don't actually have to complete a siege to get loot - just that doing so ups considerably the amount of loot you do get? All I have to do is set my dudes to "raid" and then go grind out a siege for a bit and I will automatically receive gold/loot? Have never had the chance to raid before, so am unsure of the mechanics.

each county has a yellow loot bar. there's a little wall on the bar. this indicates the amount of protected loot, safely locked away in a fort. just by hanging out with uncontested raiders in the county, you can drain the loot bar down to the protected level. if you siege down holdings, that protected level will drop and keep dropping until it disappears after the last holding is taken. so you are correct, your dudes will scrape some loot of the land itself without winning seiges, but it's a pretty sad rear end amount

also, be sure you have a place to put the loot you stole. this means that counties adjacent to yours will recieve loot directly, but if you're raiding coastal counties then you'll need to have ships parked in the adjacent sea zone. the fleet menu has a little bar showing how much loot it can hold, generally the same as dudes 10 men or 10 ducats per ship in the fleet. to unload you'll need to dock your ship in a county you own. if you're seiging then this is a good time to send your fleet back to dump loot so long as you are sure you can get back before the seige pops, otherwise all that loot gets thrown in the ocean to sink i guess. also there's a bug where if you split a fleet, one ship can carry giant piles of loot back to base. you can determine the adjacent sea zone to a provice based on where the little dock for the province sticks out

Stickarts posted:

6. Follow-up to #1: Does conclave influence my choice of inheritance laws? I had a lot of success with Elective Monarchy and just buying votes in my previous runs. Due to increased council power, should I be more wary of that?

nah, same deal as before, except with conclave you have more ways of swaying people to your preferences like giving duke shithead a council seat

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 29, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

luxury handset posted:

if you have a really low demense limit (4 is... not great) and no immediate way of raising it in the short term, try landing any old childless men hanging around your court. marry them off to post-menopausal women as well, BEFORE you land them. as liege you can just marry people off to each other but once landed, the guy is not going to marry an infertile woman. you just want to have someone holding the title who dies without an heir, so the title reverts to you in a few years. you can juggle titles this way with small risk of them not coming back to you eventually

Post-menopausal means any woman over 45. The game puts a hard stop on women having kids at age 45.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

0. You cannot switch from feudalism to become a merchant republic.

1. Just dive in. I first picked up the game right after Conclave came out and learned with it on. It's not as hard as people make it out to be.

2. In the early game you should be using your kids to get the biggest alliances you can, and once you're established and have some powerful vassals, use them to get non-aggression pacts to keep your vassals out of coalitions (just don't marry your daughters directly into anyone's direct line of succession or else your vassals will get claims on your titles).

3a. If you're at 10/4 demesne with only 3 counties then it sounds like you're holding all the cities and bishoprics. Don't do that. You get a huge penalty for holding them as a feudal lord and you'll get more out of them by giving them away. (You don't need to manually pick a character for each of them, just right click on the holding image and hit the create vassal button)

3b. Your goal when choosing which titles to hold personally should generally be to first have all the counties in your home duchy, then then the baronies in your capitol, then other counties and baronies. I don't know what this "stacking" thing is but you will get the most money (at least in the early game) by having control of your whole capitol. As far as vassal structure, you ideally want counts to have one county each, and dukes to have one duchy and control of the counts in that de jure duchy only. It's hard to keep things perfectly organized like this as your vassals will naturally start inheriting or conquering extra land. You'll get the opportunity to revoke extra counties from vassals who revolt, and you can use the Plot to Revoke which under certain circumstances when they gain non-de jure land.

4. You're gonna need to revolt to gain independence, form the duchy of Sicily, then declare a war for the land he holds in your de jure duchy.

5. Your current character can't raid. Raiding is available to characters with tribal/nomadic government or with certain religions and cultures. When you select a unit, there will be a blue button at the top to toggle looting.

In the province tab, there is a yellow bar that shows how much loot is available, and putting raiders in that province will give it to you (provided that the province is adjacent to you or that you have boats offshore)

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Thanks for the response. Clarifies quite a few things.

Some more Qs, if you don’t mind:

How sensitive are Muslim rulers to little pissant holy warriors like myself? I’ve never declared holy wars over such small stakes before. I could probably roll the last Muslim hold-out in Sicily as-is. Should I wait a bit just in case (I don’t have the “threatening!” Shield yet), or am I just operating on the whims of the RNG god? Regardless, I might wait till I can change my focus to stewardship to get an extra demesne holding. I had chosen war, but now realize there’s no way I’m risking dying 5 years into the game with no clear-cut heir, so I may as well just switch it next chance I get.

What’s the optimal upgrade order for your holdings? Previously, I had first upgraded anything that upped my monthly income - ports, markets, etc - and then focused on upgrading keeps and training grounds. Is that accepted wisdom?

e. Thanks also to Various Meat Products. I could have sworn the game said on the little intro page “you’re a Norman catholic, this means you get to raid!!” Will be diving in again soon.

And thanks for the merchant republic info - next time, I guess.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 29, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Being threatening isn't actually that big a deal - it's not like Aggressive Expansion in EU where coalitions can declare wars of containment against you. It's a purely defensive pact, so it will slow down your growth but it will not result in anyone ganging up on you.

Generally being on the border of a realm with a different faith is always risky, but their decision to holy war against you is entirely based on the power differential rather than how much holy warring you've been doing yourself. If you're bigger than them, you don't have much to worry about. If you're smaller than them, you should get yourself some allies so you make for a scarier target, and they should leave you alone.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
AI desire to wage war also depends on traits. Zealous brave character is much more likely to declare a risky war.

As for Holy Wars you should expect some help for the enemy. Especially when we're taking Muslims who are probably still strong. Unless you know that this specific ruler is unpopular (low diplomacy stat, negative traits like kinslayer) you're better not going into holy wars.

On the other hand, CK2 is a game with predefined war outcomes. If you lose a holy war you pay some gold, lose some prestige and piety and your religion suffers. But it's not that big of a deal, you don't lose land or life. You also get a truce so it make help you to secure a border for a while for a price of some gold.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Stickarts posted:

What’s the optimal upgrade order for your holdings? Previously, I had first upgraded anything that upped my monthly income - ports, markets, etc - and then focused on upgrading keeps and training grounds. Is that accepted wisdom?

e. Thanks also to Various Meat Products. I could have sworn the game said on the little intro page “you’re a Norman catholic, this means you get to raid!!” Will be diving in again soon.

And thanks for the merchant republic info - next time, I guess.

In the early game you don't actually want to upgrade your holdings. Unless you have thousands of gold burning a hole in your pocket, the most important thing to spend money on is mercenaries. Mercs will allow you to punch way above your weight and pull off wars you could never win with just your levies. When you do buy buildings, I think the money producing ones are good to get first, but with the understanding that it will take decades or longer for them to pay for themselves. After that, buy the ones that give you flat amounts of units (which get multiplied by keeps and by your martial skill and your Marshall's Train Troops assignment), then keeps once you have a solid base.

As for the raiding thing, there's some misleading language going on there. Feudal Norman Catholics normally can't raid, but if you were to switch to a religion that DOES allow raiding, you would be able to raid using boats, which not all raiding cultures can do.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
When at war and sieging a holding in a county, I learned that if the defending army is bigger than the attackers then the siege stops, so if I'm attacking do my armies automatically get reinforcements? Assuming I have a good commander and martial score.

I started a new ironman game (Urmhumhain in Ireland again just because), and after building up my army and forming a claim on a neighboring county, I went to war, beat their army with some losses, but didn't have enough troops for the siege. I chased down the remainder of their army, then went back to the siege (sitting at 98% victory but unable to enforce my demands). Several months passed and my army wasn't getting any bigger.

I ended up retreating back to my home to build my army back up, but then some other army came in (not the ruler I was at war with, somebody from England or Scotland that I guess was pressing their own dejeur claim), easily wiped out the county I was attacking and took over it (with their troop count somehow going UP while attacking), and then invaded Urmhumhain and attacked my still-weakened army. I rage-quit at that.

What's a recommended beginner place/time to start? Since I apparently suck at playing in Urmhumhain 867.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Various Meat Products posted:

As for the raiding thing, there's some misleading language going on there. Feudal Norman Catholics normally can't raid, but if you were to switch to a religion that DOES allow raiding, you would be able to raid using boats, which not all raiding cultures can do.

All cultures that can raid can use boats to raid, but Germanic Pagans (i.e. vikings) are the only ones who can traverse major rivers with their boats. And also pay 90% less boat upkeep, which makes raiding by boat that much more profitable for them, since boat upkeep is pretty high.

Eh! Frank posted:

When at war and sieging a holding in a county, I learned that if the defending army is bigger than the attackers then the siege stops, so if I'm attacking do my armies automatically get reinforcements? Assuming I have a good commander and martial score.

No, your army will not get reinforcements unless in home territory, except for the parts of the army that naturally get reinforcements even in enemy lands (mercenaries, holy orders, retinues). When you have 1200 men sieging a castle with 1000 defenders, you will just have to wait out the time until the castle falls, even if that is a year. You can use the "storm castle" action to skip the sieging phase, but a good rule of thumb is that you should outnumber the defenders 10:1, otherwise you will take horrific losses, or may even outright lose the siege.

Eh! Frank posted:

What's a recommended beginner place/time to start? Since I apparently suck at playing in Urmhumhain 867.

Ireland is the tutorial isle only in 1066 and later. Before that, you start as a tribal ruler. Tribal realms are usually much weaker than feudal realms. And also, the viking age is in full swing at that time, and plundering Irish holding is one of the AI's favorite past-times. And also a good idea for player controlled vikings, meaning it's usually a very frustrating experience to play an Irish ruler before 1066.

Just start as the southernmost Irish duke in 1066 and try it again, the game should go much more smoothly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tias posted:

You know how it is. My Lothbrok was super prolific like that, shooting out kids (and inducting them into the Wolf Warriors) until he dropped dead at 69.

It was maybe not the most obvious joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

e: nm

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 30, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Playing as Dublin in 1066 is usually a decent way to get into it too. You'll be stuck as a single county for a bit (which is unfun, since you can't force vassalage on your neighbors until you have at least two counties), but you'll automatically inherit your dad's county to the south when he dies, and he is very old. Fabricate a claim in the meantime to fill out one of your two available duchies, formally declare yourself More Important Than Your Neighbors, and after that go nuts.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Still in my Hungary game and I have a very important question, how do you deal with an HRE thats blobbing to an insane level?

They own territory from poland to spain and are aggressively pushing into the territory I need to form the Carpathian Empire and I don't know what to do about it because the Kaiser has almost 50 times as many troops as me

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The most effective way would be to cash in 5k China Points for an invasion upon your enemies, which would completely shatter the HRE... if China wins.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Also the ever popular "swear fealty and destroy from within"

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

*sigh* i just learned you can't send your marshal to a province to increase the chance of arresting himself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

*sigh* i just learned you can't send your marshal to a province to increase the chance of arresting himself.

i'd laugh at you but this is crusader kings. that was probably a legit strategy at one point.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

DeathChicken posted:

Playing as Dublin in 1066 is usually a decent way to get into it too. You'll be stuck as a single county for a bit (which is unfun, since you can't force vassalage on your neighbors until you have at least two counties), but you'll automatically inherit your dad's county to the south when he dies, and he is very old.
This is what I ended up doing. I'm not very far along yet, though I actually started out with two counties instead of one (Dublin and the county just north of it, I'll still need one more county for the de jure duchy though, looks like there's four in it). As you said my father ended up passing eventually, my demesne limit is just one though because my guy kinda sucks so now some of my vassals aren't too fond of me but oh well.

I switched to seniority succession because gavelkind sucks and primogeniture wasn't available yet, plus it sounds interesting. It won't screw me over will it?

And my poor eldest son. I bedded his wife and got her pregnant, he believed the kid to be his own, he gained the nickname "Clueless", and then he poo poo himself to death due to dysentery.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

I switched to seniority succession because gavelkind sucks and primogeniture wasn't available yet, plus it sounds interesting. It won't screw me over will it?

Seniority is fine. Way better than gavelkind. The big downsides to seniority are that you have very little control over your heir and you tend to get stuck with short reign penalties all the time, but both of those are relatively minor.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why don't people like the youngest inheriting? There's almost infinite rerolls to get the perfect genetics, you have almost total control of who it is (just stop all your affairs), and the next ruler gets a super long reign since he inherits young.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Serephina posted:

Why don't people like the youngest inheriting? There's almost infinite rerolls to get the perfect genetics, you have almost total control of who it is (just stop all your affairs), and the next ruler gets a super long reign since he inherits young.

I had a lot of times where I had a young ruler because a long living ruler would die, his near 40-50 aged child inherits, then dies quickly from old age or a succession revolt, and then that ruler's very young kid inherited, so I'd have a 50 year reign. (This was under primogeniture.)

Ultimo didn't seem appealing to me because you have less time to groom your heir and you are likely to end up with a long regency. It's not like many kids are born with great stats. I had several rulers having kids in to their late 60s with their actual wife. If you have affairs, you can just not acknowledge or legitimize the child. I had keep the ruler married so I could keep the demesne size up, and if your old wife dies, may as well get a new one who can give you more children for alliances and dynastic reasons.

I think I'd do Elective if I played another run.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 1, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Elective is by far the best if you can keep things under control, you get to just pick the best heir without any real finagling required. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner though, it can be pretty rough if you don't keep your thumb firmly on the scales.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Does Elective mean every duchy gets a vote? And if it's elective empire, every King gets a vote? I didn't take the time to figure it out. My Empire had the Kingdom of Germany in it and it was Elective. I had usurped the kingdom, so I was an elector for the next king several times (reacquired the title a couple of times because the German King engaged in some light treason several times, especially if he was a blood relative). I never could get the title to pass to my Imperial heir though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Elective means each de jure vassal one tier below the title gets a vote. So, yes, dukes vote for a king. I think that even includes people outside your realm, but I might be misremembering. Each person with such a title gets one vote, even if they have multiple titles (this is usually you, since you're likely going to have the main title plus several duchies).

e.g. if you're the King of Ireland, and the Duke of Mercia is your vassal, but the Duke of Connacht is independent, then Mercia doesn't get to vote (because he's not, de jure, a part of Ireland), but Connacht does, and in theory Connacht could win that election and become king.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trying CKII again, and holy God am I overwhelmed by the number of buttons and menus. The tutorial popups keep saying "use the Diplomacy menu" and some such. Gee, thanks. Hope CKIII is somewhat clearer.

Also. If I'm looking at myself in the top-left pane, then I click one of my vassals, is there any way to get back to viewing myself in that pane without clicking on my face to close the pane, then clicking my face again to reopen it?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Press 'b' to go back, or click the '<' button in the top-right of the viewing panel.
(I really wish I could rebind inputs to map this to my normal mouse 'back' thumb button)

Edit: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Keyboard_shortcuts for more shortcuts

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

megane posted:

e.g. if you're the King of Ireland, and the Duke of Mercia is your vassal, but the Duke of Connacht is independent, then Mercia doesn't get to vote (because he's not, de jure, a part of Ireland), but Connacht does, and in theory Connacht could win that election and become king.
This is precisely how elective works. Connacht would still get to vote even if he was a vassal under the King of England in this case. It's generally very dangerous to use that law if you don't have de facto control of the entire kingdom precisely because it's very difficult to pressure an elector who isn't under you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Mainly that it tends to lead to a lot of long regencies.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah the HRE and Byzantines keep rolling hard in my current game, too. I’m now third in realm size in the world, controlling maybe half of the Mediterranean coastline, but because I started as a lowly count the big two are almost twice my size. I’m an empire, so no going back now
In terms of swearing fealty.

I guess my best bet is to send my spymaster to go piss off the capital of one of them in hopes it causes downstream a rebellion? I’ve gotten pretty good at nabbing land while the big guys are otherwise busy, but for this I will wait for a good, strong revolt to occur in their realm and then join the revolt to cut them in half? Risky, and not immediately profitable, but probably the only way I’m going to be able to move inland in Europe.

Also, I know it’s well known, but let me chime in for the umpteenth time that wow are crusades worth it. Nabbed three kingdoms that way, but my big win was the last one in Lithuania. I sent 12,000 retinue, demesne, and mercenaries up early so that the day the crusade started they were stepping off the boat. I had things wrapped up before others even had their armies cobbled together. I got some tribal lands which, sure, but the real prize? *30,000* gold. Same strategy as with Islamic crusades, but Islamic defences are too hardened for quick victories.

For other noobies - form alliances as quickly as you can. Marry your child to the child of a ruler and that ruler rarely seems to turn you down.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

drat, 30,000 gold. I don't think I ever cracked 5k. And it wasn't from either of the two Finland crusades I was able to get in on early. It was from a Middle Eastern crusade where I spent the whole time sieging down one isolated target territory.

What's the preferred way to handle having a beneficiary? I always picked a female relative and made the beneficiary receive any land, just to keep the Pope happy. But the Pope usually low key hated me anyway, so maybe I should have just kept it for myself? Several times my beneficiary died young or childless, so those lands reverted to me anyway though.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah, it was wild. I saw ~31 k and fell in love.

I just keep the land for myself. Nuts to the pope. You can always have your chaplain go chill in Rome to reduce the -20 malus after.

e. Being a coastal territory rocks. Most of my time in-game prior to this has been spent developing large areas of contiguous land. Boats are so much faster, and with no attrition. Nowhere is out of reach if you have satellite ports.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I never once used boats (started in Pomerania), so yeah, it would be nice to give that a whirl. I was thinking of starting in Catalonia to unify Spain if I do another run. Could do boats then.