Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
MSPaint sounds interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do whatever is easy/most funny for you to do.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

MSPaint is always at its best at the extreme ends of the skill spectrum :D

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

MS Paint isn't funny, I say go for option 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
3 or 1

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

doing lovely mspaint drawings to make up for getting hit with the LP curse is a time honored tradition

can't break with tradition

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

1. That's not that hard to make fit in with the story either, I like the night shift finding everyone unconscious idea from the prior page.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
You can't offer lovely mspaint drawing, then not deliver lovely mspaint drawings.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

At least do lovely MS Paint portraits of the AI ladies!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Gonna have to vote for option 1, personally.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm torn. I like the idea of no one remembering what happened that day, but I also want lovely MSPaint. Can you... combine the two ideas somehow?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The game lets you rewatch the plot stuff, there's a gallery of sorts, so if there's any MSPaint stuff the OP does, it'll be for the gameplay stuff only.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Iunnrais posted:

I'm torn. I like the idea of no one remembering what happened that day, but I also want lovely MSPaint. Can you... combine the two ideas somehow?

Malkuth is making useful flash cards to deal with this memory issue. She's Halping!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Shogeton posted:

You could always explain it as the night shift coming in after a day that seemed to go alright, energy was gotten, but finding all staff unconscious, without memory when they woke up, and the only thing that explains what was going on was the feverish scribbling of one of the agents.

I like this idea, but ultimately whatever is easiest for you, TeeQueue.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 3: Story

Music: story 3

One thing I haven't mentioned yet, every day our conversation with Angela is starting by the screen fading in like a monitor powering on.

It actually even goes too bright at one point, before snapping back to normal.

Like so. I've said this before, but this game really has a lot of little touches like this. It's part of its charm.

In age old fables, it is common for a mysterious entity to appear and tell the protagonist to utter three wishes. However, I do happen to know what your predecessors wished for. There were many aspirations. Common among them was the seeking of some kind of “growth.” To lead the company to prosperity, to achieve spiritual maturity, you name it. Each had wanted to flower in a different way.

>I wish for the company to prosper.

Please don't let this be one of those faux-inspirational business-speak speeches. I never liked those.

Currently, you work for Lobotomy Corporation. In our company, you will see things that cannot be seen, and you will feel things that cannot be felt. You shall do impossible things. May your wish be granted.

I'll be somewhere up there, I hope. :v:

---

>I wish to mature my spirit.

While Angela is quick to respond to matters of business, nebulous concepts like 'spirit' seem to take her a moment. As expected of an AI, I guess.

Come to think of it, there was another manager who gave me such an answer. As you know, “spiritual” is a rather obsolete term in today’s world. So I asked them for the definition of spirit. Then that manager told me…

Even an AI cannot store every bit of data. Unnecessary information should be deleted for smooth operation.

---

Routes Merge Here

Hm, I suppose what happened to the others is not important, after all. I do promise to cheer you on for the journey to your final goal, though.

In Summary: We talk to Angela about our wishes, and find out either that we're going to be doing the impossible or that Angela deletes information that she doesn't understand finds irrelevant. Either way, she refuses to tell us what happened to the managers before X.

Music: Town- Alone in a Crowd

I myself have a lot of work to do. If you look at my notebook, my to-do list is always so full.

I know I’m slower than the others. I always have to check my list or I’ll miss something important. That’s why I have this notebook with me all the time. Can’t leave any mistakes, you know? I’ve been carrying it for so long that it’s almost worn out. It’s been with me ever since I began working here as the Sephirah of the Control Team.

But I’ve got everything under control. I feel like this is the kind of life I’ve been yearning for ever since a long, long time ago. Maybe even before I was capable of thinking.

Music: never frozen bottom flows

Wait, weren't the AI made for their respective departments..? :ohdear:

Music: Town- Alone in a Crowd

Sure thing boss! I’ve got it right here on my list. I’ll have it turned in by the end of the day! Well, I should get going now, it’s a pleasure talking to you, manager!

It’s especially bad for Malkuth. You’ve noticed, haven’t you? I can’t complain, though. It only makes it easier for me to control her.

In summary: Malkuth continues to hammer on how she always forgot things before she started using her notebook, which she got when she started with the Control Team, which is what she was created to do, so... Malkuth seems to have memories from before she started doing the thing she was specifically designed to do? Considering this makes her bluescreen. Angela says that this is because she's just buggy, which is making it increasingly obvious that she's our most valuable companion 'by default,' rather than because she's that great. :v:

Anyways, we have another new mission. Let's get on that next time.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Murderers! Meltdowns! Absolutely nothing goes wrong! :stonklol:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It seems I'm going to be doing some form of 1, possibly related to 3. We'll... We'll see how this ends up looking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are the AIs old administrators' lobotomised brains in jars

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Malkuth seems incredibly stable and not at all like she's one spilled coffee away from a massive nervous breakdown. At least I guess her department is just middle management and not anything more dangerous??

Unless of course, the other Sephirah are also dangerously unstable...

As an aside, I saw an early version of this game and the translation seems massively improved. Did the improved translation come out or am I just misremembering?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Angela is gonna lock us in a closet and keep us as a pet isn't she?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Splicer posted:

Are the AIs old administrators' lobotomised brains in jars

No, jars are banned after the incident with the anomaly "One Salsa and Thousands of Bad Nachos". Which is also why May 5th is blacked out on every callender in the facility, in case you were wondering.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Chinely posted:

As an aside, I saw an early version of this game and the translation seems massively improved. Did the improved translation come out or am I just misremembering?

The OP posted:

They went with a new translation group for the sequel, and as a side project they decided to also retranslate the entire first game. They recently opened up their retranslation patch for testing, and that is the version of the game that we'll be playing through. As this is a work-in-progress patch things might change a bit before the final release, but I'll try and keep everything as up-to-date as possible.

This is the retranslation that's only recently been finished. Which does remind me, they've finished with the testing phase and fired it off to Project Moon for finalization, so there shouldn't be any more updates until an official patch comes through. So that's nice.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 3: "Gameplay"

Malkuth.

Yes! I'm here!

...So she says, Manager.

What… the hell… happened today?

Yes, Manager! There was a camera malfunction!

A malfunction? A malfunction leaves every camera in all X-394 down for eight meltdown periods?

Well… um… you see…! The malfunction wasn't a normal malfunction!

The maintenance team found signs of tampering within the electrical systems itself. There was no indication of trouble prior during the previous night's expansion, so it would have had to happen sometime after.

According to my notes, we were definitely still working when I briefed you on the second research, and you chose to fund the beepers for our agents.

Well, obviously. We don't even have a second department right now. What good would joint command have done me?

We should not allow quibbles over the relevance of available research to sidetrack the current investigation, Manager. Please, continue your questioning.

...Right. I wound up locked out of the cameras the entire day, so is it possible the new Abnormality-

That can't be!

Malkuth!

Oh! I'm sorry… I jumped the gun a little bit. But, it can't be the Abnormality.

As you can see, he's kept immobile within his containment cell at all times, and we had no breaches whatsoever yesterday! It was a perfect day!

Outside of the current predicament.

Yes, well… luckily my notes include a very specific policy on what to do in the manager's absence from the chain of command. I was able to keep things running smoothly and unlock all of the information about the new Abnormality, as directed!

Forsaken Murderer… At least it wasn't anything hard.

It seems even Malkuth can handle a 1 Qliphoth Counter Abnormality who deals Red-type damage, prefers Instinct works, and will only breach on a truly abysmal result.

My department worked really hard to make today a success! At least hard enough that I should be more than an 'even Malkuth…'

With no records, that's really impossible to prove. Why, even an AI as great as me knows to keep track of their information to refer back to at any time.

I have records! They're just… records in my own memory!

Then show me. You have a notebook, don't you?

...Yes! I won't let you down, Manager!

Music: neutral 2… ish?

Manager, this is clearly a let down already. We should-

Shh! This is amazing.

So I said, "Something's gone wrong! We're not receiving any orders..."

In that case, shouldn't we all do what we think will make the most energy? That's what the manuals that Malkuth so painstakingly had us learn say.

And she's doing voices!

Dibs on the new guy! If that's okay with our boss, of course.

Since I have the new E.G.O suit from 1.76MHz, I guess I'll work with that today. My supervisor mentioned I'd be particularly well-protected against it.

So you received the equipment orders I sent... That means things could only have happened in a very short time frame.

Mizu and I will trade out working with the new one, then, just to follow the proper new-Abnormality handling protocol made by the amazing and great Malkuth.

So that's what they did! They just worked like that all day.

And there was nothing of note which happened? Eight meltdown periods is quite a lengthy period of time.

Well… um… Oh! There were several things.

Mizu seemed to have a great deal of trouble with the new Abnormality, but she toughed it out and grew immensely!

Talow had much fewer problems. Between the two of them we were able to learn everything there was to know about the Abnormality!

Bishop finished getting the energy to extract the last few weapons from One Sin, then took the rest of the day off except for to address meltdowns, because there wasn't much else for him to do.

Fair enough… and what about D.A.D.?

We gave them a broom and had them alternate between cleaning the room and beating the Abnormality with it. There weren't any complications, of course! My Control team only accepts results!

That leaves the matter of the request you gave the manager. Were the proper amount of works done, over eight periods?

Yes, Angela! We managed to take care of doing the required number of meltdown works. Not a single one passed us by today, just like always!

Don't get too confident, Malkuth. I seem to remember the time that you requested we suspend the day because of an agent who broke down right at the start…

So logs of management conversations aren't worth saving, but leverage on your fellow AI is?

The algorithms which dictate what data is and is not saved in my logs are incredibly complex. It would take years to properly explain the intricacies involved. My creators were truly capable of astounding feats.

Uh-huh. Sure. Let's just say the mission's been completed, alright?

Yes, Manager! I'll get started on the research right away!

No rush. Like I said, Joint Command's useless. So, the final report?

Oh! Yes, I have it right… here!

...uh… huh. Thank you, Malkuth. That will be all.

There is still the remaining matter of the next Abnormality.

Oh, right… I should get on that. What do we have..?

The cameras are still down in that area, but… here!

Music: never flow frozen bottoms

!

...Manager?

:siren:!!!:siren:

Literally nothing else matters. I don't even remember what the other two options were. When you see -81 this early, you take -81. :unsmigghh:

Is the manager alright?

Humans are known to do this from time to time. I believe it is called 'choice paralysis.'

I… ahem. Yes. I suppose we'll go with the center option.

Splendid! Then I'll go get right back to it!

Actually, we are going to be having an emergency Sephirah meeting to discuss countermeasures and how to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Meanwhile…

Say, what do you think Malkuth's up to right now?

Getting read the riot act, probably.

GuYS, tHis stUFF is AmAzInG!!!

Is she drinking..?

*sigh* It's fine. Just ignore her. You seen Bishop?

Said he had something he wanted to check out as soon as the bell went off.

Hell of a day, huh. First the cameras, now an unplanned meeting. This hasn't ever happened before.

...yeah. Hell of a second day of work.

Yeah. Guess with just three days, I wouldn't have much more to go off of.

Well… we're gonna have to watch each other's backs to get anywhere. Bishop's kind of a flake, and Mizu's…

Heeheeheeeeheehee~~

What I'm saying is, let's both get out of here filthy rich. And alive.

Yeah. Sounds good.

New Guidelines

Forsaken Murderer

New Gear

who couldn't even have a funeral would be nice.

New Story

Forsaken Murderer pt1
Forsaken Murderer pt2

I promise not to lose the footage again, guys. :smith:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 28, 2021

mizure
Apr 14, 2020

Mizu "Just Mizu" Mizu, reporting for cutie!
please lose the footage a lot

love what you've done with my character, btw. boy golly, i can't wait until i get messed up and try to kiss an abomination, causing it to rip my face off and killing me instantly!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Satisfaction temporary?

More like satisfaction guaranteed. Nice draw you got there.

e: Forsaken murderer's backstory is worth reading.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I love the interaction between Angela and Malkuth! No regrets at all!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

Mizu and I will trade out working with the new one, then, just to follow the proper new-abnormality handling protocol made by the amazing and great Malkuth.

I'm 100% certain Malkuth is lying through her teeth here. Just, call it a hunch.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am glad to know that next time I got an infestation of the Cthulhu's I should use a broom rather than calling for the exterminators.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This was great :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:five: It was everything I had hoped for.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Magnificent!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Had a splitting grin on my face the whole time. :allears: Oh, Malkuth...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
That was great

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That was beautiful.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

And NOBODY pointed out that we got a guy whose brain was heavily worked on, while the game is called Lobotomy corporation?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh that was wonderful!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Outstanding job. :golfclap:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Did you just get x10 P.E. boxes from the Let's Play Abnormality? Because that was Great Work. :D

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Brilliant. I vote to always MSPaint updates if they're lost in advance. Ideally with different Sep's doing the narration each time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That was a fuckin' amazing update. :allears: