Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Is Cherry the only character who can run? Barring the retro characters, I only have Axel-SOR1 and Adam-SOR1 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
SOR4 Adam has a little dash, but no run

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Firstborn posted:

SOR4 Adam has a little dash, but no run

It's the same sort of Dempsey Roll that Dudley has in Street Fighter III, which I thought was fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone been completely unable to join an online game on PC? Playing through Gamepass.

Same here. I get connection failed every time I try. It also crashes to desktop randomly. Once during an end stage boss. I'm going to play something else until it's patched. Shame because it's so much fun. :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finally got a little time into the game, holy gently caress this game loving rules

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Finished is as Cherry, last boss wasn't too hard once I learned the tells - spoiler hint for final boss It was much easier when I got Mr Y into the mech first, if Ms Y is in the mech he's able to screws you over with ranged attacks on the ground while you're dodging her bullshit. Conversely when you're dodging big melee hits anyway, she's not a major additional danger. Also when you beat someone in the mech whoever is left on the ground will get in and go apeshit, so try to get their health down similar amounts so you don't have to deal with too much of that.

Game extremely extremely owns, and holy poo poo the track that goes hard in the elevator on stage 9 (I think) is one of the best bangers ever.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Walk into the enemy*, then you have some options
Attack - usually does an attack that throws the enemy forward
Back + Attack - usually does a throw that places them behind you
Forward + Attack x3 - a 3 hit combo
Jump - switches sides with the enemy to get their back, and allows a backthrow, most damaging
Jump x2 - vaults off the enemy to give you a flying attack

The grapplers like Floyd, if you press jump, will jump with the enemy. Press attack in mid-air to to do a very damaging attack
Because Forward + Attack x3 keeps the enemy held until the third one, you can do stuff like forward + attack x2, then flip over for a backthrow or any of the other options
* Floyd's forward+special is a long range grab
* Floyd can walk around with an enemy in his hands, and if you walk into a second enemy, you'll bash their heads together
* Floyd can do something like forward + attack x2, jump, attack, then in mid-air do his mid-air special, etc. etc.

Thanks mate

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify. It slaps.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

fadam posted:

I love how there’s no ironic “lol aren’t the nineties wild” bits to it.

Yeah, I bounced off Double Dragon Neon hard because of its "Lol, cassette tapes!" stuff. This has played it dead straight so far.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

AndrewP posted:

I feel like I have to get reeeeal close to grab. Like closer than I used to back with SoR 1.

Not that I specifically remember the "grab range" of a game 25 years ago but I remember grabbing all the time back then and I don't think it was this difficult

The grab range feels like it's about the same I think. The problem is your walkspeed is way slower comparatively and you have no dash, which coming off SoR3 and Remake is a gigantic difference. The more I play the more I'm realizing that your Power move (hold attack a little) and your flying special are meant to compensate for this, at least on Axel and Blaze. it's real weird to have a Grand Upper that has 0 priority and covers no distance tho. It's way more of a combo finisher/extender than a poke.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 30, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah if you're used to remake/3 you'll have to adjust to what this game's asking of you.

Personally the big adjustment to me is using the special before i actually would use it in SoR2/R as it no longer breaks enemy combos.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if you were waiting on word of the Switch version, Digital Foundry says that it is basically equal to the PS4 version. They also say that the Xbox version was missing a graphics options menu, but it doesn't matter much.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-streets-of-rage-4-switch-xbox-one-port-analysis

I am an idiot with money so I may get this on the switch anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I seem to be able to parry/block attacks occasionally but I can't figure out how, anyone has an idea? It seems to be either forward or attack when the attack lands but I can't figure it out.

The game needs a training mode, badly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet but try using the taser on a Bare Knuckle arcade machine.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress yes Staff Roll is a bop

https://open.spotify.com/track/7mOrd0HjyptYomz81KBwaA?si=e89k4QdXSZCY0QcX4FjSJg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The theme that kicks in around 2:50 of Rising Up is the best. Pretty amazing how cohesive the whole soundtrack feels despite coming from 6 different composers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The strings on the new ‘go straight’ first level music is just *chefs kiss*

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Beat the game on hard with a buddy online on co-op. Netcode wasn't terrible for a coast to coast thing. Couple little stutters here and there, but perfectly servicable. We even had friendly hits on because I didn't know I could turn them off until after we started. :toot:

Still haven't made it past stage 6 on Normal in single player though. Mostly been playing Adam, since having the little hop-dash makes the game feel so much better. Everybody else feels ridiculously slow to me and it makes getting past some of the environmental hazards in time a very tight window. :saddowns:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My partner and I just played through about 2/3 of this and it's a loving blast. The music is great, the character designs are absolutely beautiful and it has a lot of really satisfying physicality to it.

My only flaw is a theres an unused character teased in the art who looked wild and we're sad she never made it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wonder if there is something wrong with the audio in the game because the sound track on youtube sounds so much cleaner and pops more than it does in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zVWzjCCM54

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zaodai posted:

Still haven't made it past stage 6 on Normal in single player though. Mostly been playing Adam, since having the little hop-dash makes the game feel so much better. Everybody else feels ridiculously slow to me and it makes getting past some of the environmental hazards in time a very tight window. :saddowns:

You can kinda get around that with Blaze by using her air special, which is this giant flying Chun-Li kick that you can do twice before you land.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Off work and boutta grandma paw everybody.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One thing i'll say though is that dotemu could really stand to lay off the super armor- no, it doesn't make for interesting bosses-give them real counterattacks if it's too easy for players to juggle them.

The bosses are for the most part the least fun aspect of the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
OK last post complaining about something but I have the windows store game pass version and in addition to my audio issues the Diamond/Garnet ect jump kick lady enemy plays a male hit/death sound. I've been watching a video of the ps4 version and not only is the overall audio quality better but those enemies have female voices. Maybe the game pass version is screwed up?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the standing Special having I-Frames a thing in SoR? I only played 2.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the standing Special having I-Frames a thing in SoR? I only played 2.

Yep. It works in SOR2, as well. It's also how you break grapples.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

The grab range feels like it's about the same I think. The problem is your walkspeed is way slower comparatively and you have no dash, which coming off SoR3 and Remake is a gigantic difference. The more I play the more I'm realizing that your Power move (hold attack a little) and your flying special are meant to compensate for this, at least on Axel and Blaze. it's real weird to have a Grand Upper that has 0 priority and covers no distance tho. It's way more of a combo finisher/extender than a poke.

I didn't even realize when I posted that there was no "Grab button", you literally just walk into them. Maybe that's how 1 was, been a while

The walk does feel slow and I'm honestly getting my rear end kick pretty bad. Feels like there's something I'm missing, maybe it's the power move I need to be using more

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Axel is the worst SoR4 character in the game. He really feels like he's from a game where enemies are at SoR2 levels of activity.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Panzeh posted:

Axel is the worst SoR4 character in the game. He really feels like he's from a game where enemies are at SoR2 levels of activity.

Currently on the last level on Hardest with him. I think he has something on Blaze that is very important, and that's a really reliable aerial special. Axel has a lot of ways to get in with that, which helps, and his forward does amazing damage if you can land it properly. Definitely not a newbie friendly character though, rookies should play Cherry because she's way more forgiving.

PS: holy poo poo the final boss. I'm supposed to beat this while coming into a long-rear end level with only two lives? D:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Panzeh posted:

Hurts to hear this and know it's true when he's my favorite. Did you see the combo video I posted, though? He feels like they were trying to turn him into Max like SOR2, slow and strong, but gave up halfway. Still feels good to to do his full combo into grand upper and he has a few easy combos.

Flashy combo like attack x4, grand upper, cancel grand after the first two hits into forward+special, then cancel the forward+special before the big uppercut into your star is great. You can juggle them a bit on the way down, too. Try juggling with jumping down+attack x2, then cancel in the air into air special.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 1, 2020

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

I feel like the only thing Axel is missing is a real hitbox on Grand Upper honestly. I just...don't use that move because trying to use it to contest anything gets you killed. It's pure combo filler but I'd rather forward special anytime I wanna rack up damage because it makes combo routes less awkward. If he had a meterless poke he'd be absolutely monstrous, even if he was slow.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I just attack x4 and use grand upper instead of the last sidekick, to be honest. Does real good damage.Forward+Special is great but classically leaves you open. Grand Upper you can weave into combos, from grabs, and the hitbox is pretty meaty, you can really get some nice scoops with it when it looks like you shouldn't be able to. It's honestly my favorite "blitz attack" out of the whole cast.
Floyd's is fine, Blaze's has weird start-up and travels a bit too far to be reliable, Adam's feels like a worse Grand Upper. I haven't played a lot of Cherry yet.
E: Keep in mind as well, "why not both" - you can again, attack x4, grand upper, cancel into your forward+special. If you are ever going forward+special from your attack string, why not throw in a grand upper in between?

attack x3, pause, attack x3, grand upper is also a classic axel string (used to be x2 attack but you can do 3 here), taking advantage of crazy hitstun on the 3rd attack

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 1, 2020

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Firstborn posted:

I just attack x4 and use grand upper instead of the last sidekick, to be honest. Does real good damage.Forward+Special is great but classically leaves you open. Grand Upper you can weave into combos, from grabs, and the hitbox is pretty meaty, you can really get some nice scoops with it when it looks like you shouldn't be able to. It's honestly my favorite "blitz attack" out of the whole cast.
Floyd's is fine, Blaze's has weird start-up and travels a bit too far to be reliable, Adam's feels like a worse Grand Upper. I haven't played a lot of Cherry yet.
E: Keep in mind as well, "why not both" - you can again, attack x4, grand upper, cancel into your forward+special. If you are ever going forward+special from your attack string, why not throw in a grand upper in between?

attack x3, pause, attack x3, grand upper is also a classic axel string (used to be x2 attack but you can do 3 here), taking advantage of crazy hitstun on the 3rd attack

I gotta try that! Seems like a great way to absolutely chew through a lifebar! Man this game is so good, I love how much there is to learn.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Here's another cool grand upper combo

grab, neutral attack x3(knee, knee, jumpkick), you'll launch them ... hit them with x1 regular standing attack, then grand upper

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished the game twice on Normal, once in a four player mess, and once solo, and solo is way easier.

Final boss tip: It is a much easier fight if you get Mr. Y into the mech (by damaging him a lot first) instead of Ms. Y because those projectiles can mess you up

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Whew! Finally beat that last stage on Hardest. The boss was super fun, but man, those macebots were AWFUL. I lost two lives and still had to burn two stars to get rid of them. :(

Really good game honestly. Exactly what the franchise needed for a comeback. My only quibble is I really wish all characters had proper dashes because I love the sheer choice of engagements that gave me in SoR3, but the game knows what it wants to do and achieves it masterfully. Hopefully I can play it with my brother on mania soon and see just how difficult it is!

Transient People fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 1, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It is loving insane how hard this track goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWsVehrTkTs

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Astounded by how much better this looks than when that first trailer dropped. I was not hyped for this game after that but it has turned out pretty great.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet but try using the taser on a Bare Knuckle arcade machine.

Are you referring to getting warped to the SOR2 alien level with the claw dude? cause if so that was cool but I don't think I got any reward. Nice easter egg still.

My brother and I did our first run on hard mode, figured normal would be too easy if there's two of us. Game was mostly pretty well balanced until the last level... we used an assist. :( We played Axel and Blaze so no dashes which started to get a little annoying but my god this game rules. I don't think I can play the old ones again after experiencing the joys of juggling combos.

Blaze's voice sort of sounds similar to the old games but it's just funny to see this rough and tumble bad girl sounding like that haha. Oh and best cutscene when Axel does a grand upper on that pile of cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deacon91 posted:

There was a kick starter by the creators a few years back, I was so unhappy it never reached its goals.
I attempted to back that, and a couple of months ago I received a Kickstarter update email basically implying that they were still going ahead with it in some way and suggesting I sign up to a mailing list for future updates. (I was too lazy to do so).

Social Animal posted:

Are you referring to getting warped to the SOR2 alien level with the claw dude? cause if so that was cool but I don't think I got any reward. Nice easter egg still.
There are four arcade cabinets scattered throughout the game. Each one has a taser nearby (sometimes in an enemy's hands, sometimes hidden behind the environment), and each has a unique retro boss for you to fight if you zap it. You don't lose a life if you die while fighting the retro boss, you just get kicked back to reality. As far as rewards go, each of these arenas has a Star and a food pickup in some breakable object or other.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 1, 2020