Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope they make his wife a short, portly looking, pie-baker anime lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Vincent can't have a wife because he'll be dating Cloud, just like everyone else

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Veib posted:

Vincent can't have a wife because he'll be dating Cloud, just like everyone else

Cloud's mind actually breaks from lack of sleep because of everyone coming into his room to offer him gifts to try and woo him.

In the Remake, Tifa and Aerith get tired of waiting and kiss Sephiroth.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Does anyone know what the general reception to the ending was in Japan?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Does anyone know what the general reception to the ending was in Japan?

Bout' the same as over here I've heard.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Not even touching the wildly disgusting implications with Shelke.

Vincent does not and has never needed a permanently underage loli wife.

I have never consumed any ff7 media outside a stream of the remake and like 2/3rds of the original game until chocoboo breeding stopped me cold. I'm choosing to believe you are lying to m-

why do they keep doing this thing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope Dyne being a Cetra happens because that sideplot was really dumb and needs to be rewritten.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I have never consumed any ff7 media outside a stream of the remake and like 2/3rds of the original game until chocoboo breeding stopped me cold. I'm choosing to believe you are lying to m-

:aatrek:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

gently caress me Dirge of Cerberus was even worse than I could have imagined.

(No one on God's green Earth bought that game right?)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I watched DF Retro's FFVII breakdown last week and John Linneman had nothing but nice things to say about DoC...

Kinda hope that people get suckered into playing it tbh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

stev posted:

gently caress me Dirge of Cerberus was even worse than I could have imagined.

(No one on God's green Earth bought that game right?)

Sadly, people did. Not enough for it to not kill the Compilation dead though. Some people even like it, some people even say it's better than 7RE No I'm not joking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beefstew posted:

Very interesting! I think I'm starting to believe this myself. Also, welcome!
I think Aeris will die. I think we'll have a fakeout where she survives her original death scene, but poo poo's gonna get even worse from there. I think Sephiroth will avoid messing with her, considering it was partially his undoing last time. So we have three ways that this can progress, I think:
- The party prevents Sephiroth from acquiring the Black Materia (not gonna happen for dramatic purposes)
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and they figure out another way to stop it.
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and for whatever reason she has to engineer her own death. Last Temptation poo poo.

I just finished FFVIIR last night and... I don't think this is actually a remake; I think it's a sequel. Kinda. Or rather more a more literal take on the term "Remake".

Part of what's been thrown out with the Whispers is they're there to keep destiny on-track, and Destiny seems to be pretty drat intent on FFVII occurring verbatim. I think the story's gone round so many times that the timeline's getting frayed and starting to wobble off the beaten path, so Aerith surviving might actually be possible just to reaally raise a middle finger at Destiny.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really hate 'Destiny' as a concept for the heroes to fight against. It's not relatable and unless you're a fictional character who gives a poo poo.

Much more fun smashing up an environmentally damaging megacorporation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

Much more fun smashing up an environmentally damaging megacorporation.

Yeah, that wasn't something you did in FF7 outside of Midgar and kinda the Huge Materia but also not really? Seems like FF7 just isn't the game you want it to be period.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Onmi posted:

Yeah, that wasn't something you did in FF7 outside of Midgar and kinda the Huge Materia but also not really? Seems like FF7 just isn't the game you want it to be period.

I didn't say FF7 was full of it I said it was more fun

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

- Messing up Shinra parade
- Uncovering corporate coverup of a massacre
- Fighting Palmer until he gets hit by a loving car
- Innumerable commentaries on ecological devastation by Bugenhagen
- Busting out of a military stronghold while Shinra tries to live-broadcast your executions for political purposes
- Hijacking a company airship
- Hijacking a company submarine
- Parachuting into Midgar to kill the remaining leaders of Shinra to stop them from recklessly endangering the city

You're being super loving disingenuous. FF7 delivers on one of the most satisfying fantasies we can have - utterly sticking it to a Man that's all too familiar. The Destiny poo poo is disconnected from the audience and ultimately winds up being nebulous and alienating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Beefstew posted:

- Messing up Shinra parade
I mean you can do it without loving it up.

quote:

- Uncovering corporate coverup of a massacre[/quote[
lul wut? What the gently caress does Nibelheim have to do with anything, I must've forgotten literally anything coming from Nibelheim which is super weird when I just played the game.
[quote]
- Fighting Palmer until he gets hit by a loving car
Extremely funny, not really 'sticking it' to Shinra

quote:

- Innumerable commentaries on ecological devastation by Bugenhagen
I don't see how there being an environmental theme is "Smashing up an environmentally damaging megacorporation", Furhtermore, Cait points out that for all Bugenhagen's talk, he's actually one of Shinra's biggest clients.

quote:

- Busting out of a military stronghold while Shinra tries to live-broadcast your executions for political purposes
- Hijacking a company airship
- Hijacking a company submarine
All incidental, also to add to this, the Submarine is to go after the Huge Materia, which I covered.

quote:

- Parachuting into Midgar to kill the remaining leaders of Shinra to stop them from recklessly endangering the city
That's not why you parachute into Midgar. In fact, it's a direct thing that they don't want to fight Heidegger and Scarlet, they just want to stop Hojo from firing the Sister Ray.

quote:

You're being super loving disingenuous. FF7 delivers on one of the most satisfying fantasies we can have - utterly sticking it to a Man that's all too familiar. The Destiny poo poo is disconnected from the audience and ultimately winds up being nebulous and alienating.

I'm not being disingenuous. The majority of the game is not about smashing up an environmentally damaging megacorporation. But no, please tell me how Palmer getting hit by a Shinra truck in a comedy scene and showing up afterwards is totally "STICKING IT TO THE MAN!"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 1, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I think this issue also extends to the acceptance of some of the over-the-top content. When we're emotionally invested in the conflict, it's a lot easier to accept the characters pulling of ludicrous feats because it's what we want them to see. It's a power fantasy fulfilled. You could argue that Cloud chopping the propeller off of a Shinra helicopter is just as ridiculous as him flying around and teleporting and poo poo during the Whisper fights, and perhaps you'd be right in a vacuum.
The difference is that the audience has a predisposition to want to see corporate fascists get hosed up. Cloud's insane motorcycle stunts are both super impractical and intensely satisfying. But when the context of the scene gets divorced from any emotional connection that the audience might have, it casts the ridiculous stuff into stark relief. It all feels more alienating, with characters talking about concepts we haven't experienced and can't possibly understand, and suddenly they're action figures banging against each other. It doesn't help that the Destiny stuff (and the characters' mysterious and sudden investment in it) only becomes prominent in the last two chapters. It feels inorganic and forced, constituting... gently caress, I dunno, some weird faux-Brechtian meta-parable. Otherwise known as Kingdom Hearts.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Onmi posted:

petty poo poo

why are you being such a dick in this chilled out thread?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

what the gently caress is this
Dude, take your loving L. Don't double down on flimsy false justifications by saying "that doesn't count because it made me laugh" or "that's incidental because it's part of a series of incidents that happen constantly throughout the game".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

why are you being such a dick in this chilled out thread?

Because your tears sustain me.
Alt. Because I'm responding to someone being hostile to me by mocking them.
Alt. Because I recently replayed FF7 original and thus have this information fresh.
Alt. Because you're posts are annoying due to all of them being the most pathetic bitching and I like not letting them stand unchallenged.
Alt. I'm not, you're being sensitive.

Pick which one you like.

Fake Edit: nevermind. It's cause Beef's a loving idiot.

Beefstew posted:

Dude, take your loving L. Don't double down on flimsy false justifications by saying "that doesn't count because it made me laugh" or "that's incidental because it's part of a series of incidents that happen constantly throughout the game".

You have no response so you're clenching your rear end and screeching about "taking the L". Sweetums, you literally listed "Uncovering a cover up conspiracy!" And it's like... you walk into Nibelheim and it's like "Oh hey they rebuilt the town and filled it with paid actors. What are we going to do with this information? Are we going to rumble Shinra by exposing this? Are we going to run these false actors out of town? Is there going to be any action? No!"

You're delusional. You probably haven't played the game in a while and thus have your idealized version of FF7 in your head, not actual FF7, which is cute, but dumb. So take your own advice, and take your loving L.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty sure the next parts are going to have all of the existing Shinra plot points and environmental themes - and probably some new ones given how they hyped up Scarlet and Rufus.

The whispers stuff hasn't replaced the rest of the game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Nope, played the game again over the past couple of months. Sorry you're unable to parse text and insistent on doubling down when you get called out for talking out your rear end. You seem to be unable to accept that people can enjoy the remake while still having misgivings with it, and rush to defend it with whatever bad faith argument you can throw together.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Nope, played the game again over the past couple of months. Sorry you're unable to parse text and insistent on doubling down when you get called out for talking out your rear end.

they've got a classic case of terminal Kingdom Hearts poisoning imo

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Imagine playing FF7, a game that closes on a shot of a symbol of a corporately controlled environmental nightmare being reclaimed by nature, and going, "no, this game has nothing to do with refuting environmentally-destructive corporations."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Nope, played the game again over the past couple of months. Sorry you're unable to parse text and insistent on doubling down when you get called out for talking out your rear end.

I didn't know "massively blowing up minor moments" was being unable to parse text. And being called out on your hyperbolic reading of a 23 year old RPG that is still anti-corporation and pro-environment but doesn't actually have a huge amount of directly fighting the anti-environment corporation, isn't talking out my rear end. It's being reasonable and level headed. Did I argue the theme wasn't pro-environmentalism or anti-corporation? No, I didn't. I just argued that directly 'smashing the corporation' doesn't really happen outside Midgar, which it doesn't, instead, they actually show far more the result of Shinra being a lovely corporation, that being Corel, Gongaga's destroyed reactor, Fort Condor, Rocket Town, Wutai. You just don't directly smash em, because the game is more interested in showing you how outside of Midgar, Shinra's still a lovely corporation.

Beefstew posted:

Imagine playing FF7, a game that closes on a shot of a symbol of a corporately controlled environmental nightmare being reclaimed by nature, and going, "no, this game has nothing to do with refuting environmentally-destructive corporations."

Oh, I see the issue here, the issue is you're loving stupid and misread my post. It's okay I'm aware it's very hard to understand.

Necrothatcher posted:

they've got a classic case of terminal Kingdom Hearts poisoning imo
Please try better.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
yeah you really do just go after sephiroth at some point

i wonder if theyll make destroying reactors around the world part of remake instead of just walking past them like in the original

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, there's no denying that Shinra take a back seat as antagonists after Midgar in favour of the arguably-less-thematically-interesting-and-relevant Weird Magic Guy. I definitely hope for a stronger Shinra presence in the upcoming games.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, there's no denying that Shinra take a back seat as antagonists after Midgar in favour of the arguably-less-thematically-interesting-and-relevant Weird Magic Guy. I definitely hope for a stronger Shinra presence in the upcoming games.

maybe youll do missions for avalanche since theyre more present and powerful this time round

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Reclines Obesily posted:

maybe youll do missions for avalanche since theyre more present and powerful this time round

That'd be really good for Sidequest material. Avalanche cells acting as around-area quest givers, along with the usual "help the local folks"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The failing large materia scenes with scarlet is a big indicator that the game will carry on with the original story in some way at least

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"Costa del Sol Avalanche Mission #1
-----‐------------------
There's this weird guy we keep spotting on the outskirts of town, loving a motorcycle, but nobody we've sent to stop him has come back. See what you can do."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I can't imagine Shinra's presence not being expanded on. I think it's clear the writers really enjoyed working with them as the antagonists and they did a lot to set them up for the future. I'd be super surprised if a lot of the new content doesn't do more with them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't imagine Shinra's presence not being expanded on. I think it's clear the writers really enjoyed working with them as the antagonists and they did a lot to set them up for the future. I'd be super surprised if a lot of the new content doesn't do more with them.

I fully expect to actually fight Rufus again at Junon. I don't see Rufus not being fightable again. not with the expansion they gave him.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's easy to forget about it because the game doesn't insist on banging on about it but Sephiroth and, by extension, every single problem he causes is totally Shinra's Fault.

thematically sephiroth is an oil spill and shinra is BP.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

I fully expect to actually fight Rufus again at Junon. I don't see Rufus not being fightable again. not with the expansion they gave him.

rufus' dog doesn't die when you fight him which is basically 100% confirmation that you will fight him again, probably more than once

they've also set him up as working closely with the turks(as opposed to the original where I can't actually remember him ever being in the same room as any of them) so he'll probably end up being part of their recurring boss fights sometimes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

rufus' dog doesn't die when you fight him which is basically 100% confirmation that you will fight him again, probably more than once

they've also set him up as working closely with the turks(as opposed to the original where I can't actually remember him ever being in the same room as any of them) so he'll probably end up being part of their recurring boss fights sometimes

The Before Crisis reasoning for the Turks loyalty to Rufus is that Rufus was the one who got their sentences (they were all sentenced to death) basically reduced/wiped away. So they owe him a life debt. He's also responsible for funding Avalanche to strike at his father, even his Bio in Ultimania lists him as opposing his dad.

I wonder if they'll keep him along the same route, or move him into the "Kinda trying to save the world" role that he gets in Disc 2 after Northern Crater.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255159767367999489

EDIT: It's interesting that the Ultimania only lists that his way of running things "contrasts" his father, not that it's by fear, as it was in the original.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shinra's absolutely getting an increased presence, just because they keep bringing up Wutai as a major power. There's no way either can sit in the background on a global stage and not create some friction between the two that Cloud and Co. stumble through next game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A neat way to reimagine disc one of the OG is what if the ship from Junon took them all the way to the "Wutai front" and then the gang had to make their way back across the world, basically doing disc one in reverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
We're gonna get to Wutai and it's a Wutai War 2 but they don't actually have the ability to fight Shinra at all so to make it look "good" Heidegger is constantly ordering the Turks to Pearl Harbor their own side 3 times a day and winds up destroying every helicopter on the continent. Then R&R start making grumbly noises and frowny faces and eventually cash in their vacation time.

The interlude ends when Rufus gets out of the bathroom and asks where the gently caress his ride is, cue a trek to see an very grumpy man about a plane.