Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Rats are the :goonsay:most optimal choice because cheese is the most plentiful of the stat up foods.

Sounds like a cheesy strat to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Not sure if this should go here or the Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out thread, but I was playing goldeneye yesterday and it finally hit me why the doors in the Cavern level were so weird. I was talking to my wife and said "when I was a kid, I thought it was so lame that one door was ugly and boring but the other one was cool and opened up like an iris OOOOH IT'S AN EYEBALL WITH AN EYELID! BECAUSE GOLDENEYE!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little thing I like about Grimrock (and 2, presumably) is that modding in custom classes and entities is actually surprisingly easy. To remove spiders from the game all I had to do was copy the game's entire campaign, open it up, and mass delete all of the instances of spiders. Then I just save my changes and play it as a mod. This breaks an optional puzzle where you need to lead a spider through a maze by drawing its aggro but I do not care, thank you Grimrock for making it be so easy to mod your game.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I was complaining about it in the other thread, but I'll give it credit here- Control does not have an animation for climbing ladders. You might think this means you cannot climb them, but no! In fact, there are some secrets that can be found only by pushing against them and furiously vibrating upward, in lieu of an actual animation (at least, until you get the power to levitate). There are basically no invisible walls/barriers, and you can make furniture collapse by briskly walking into it.

Lots of developers these days create beautiful but sterile dioramas, I commend Remedy for giving me the freedom to be janky as all hell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of God Hand, which also has ladders but no ladder-climbing animation. Instead, when you get near a ladder and press the prompted button, you simply jump to the top (or bottom) of the ladder. It's one of those things that I'm sure saved a bit of effort during development, but also keeps the game moving quickly and makes perfect sense in God Hand's weird game world.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There is a very early room in Control that has a door locked with a Level 4 or 5 card that you won't get until many hours later. You can instead easily koolaid man through the glass instead and just grab the stuff inside.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I really thought was cool when I noticed it is that such "sequence breaking" moments reward you for paying attention to the scenery. Most of the windows in the offices at the FBC are lined with a sort of reinforced grill to keep you from getting in... So naturally all you have to do is keep an eye out for windows that AREN'T reinforced in such a way. I also managed to get up to a high ledge WAY early by just stacking stuff in the room with the TK. It turned out the developers surely figured someone would try it, because even though it was just a locked door in the end, there was still a chest with a weapon mod inside on my side of the door.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Apr 28, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Because I haven't played it since I bought it years ago I decided to play some Dust: An Elysian Tale on steam. I'd forgotten how satisfying the combat is, juggling enemies is a lot of fun and the movement is decently fluid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if I ever would have thought of it if I hadn't seen someone else do it but in Control I like that the ground slam move or whatever it's called isn't actually limited to slamming downward, it's for charging at wherever you're aiming while levitating. There are locations you can only reach by levitating and then charging up and at them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

I don't know if I ever would have thought of it if I hadn't seen someone else do it but in Control I like that the ground slam move or whatever it's called isn't actually limited to slamming downward, it's for charging at wherever you're aiming while levitating. There are locations you can only reach by levitating and then charging up and at them.

Oh :lmao: I've played through a few times now and never thought about using it for pure movement. I knew it was aimable but never used it for anything other than enemies somewhere below me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I've never used it on enemies, just for precision platforming over chasms :yayclod:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh :lmao: I've played through a few times now and never thought about using it for pure movement. I knew it was aimable but never used it for anything other than enemies somewhere below me.

That room with all the computers each in their own cubes has an item box up high. I find using that move very finnicky to get up to a higher spot though because you tend to have very little space to land, like on a narrow beam. It feels very much like an exploit and not the proper way to do things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In Mortal Kombat 11’s story mode, Present Jax and MK9 Jax fist bump through a fodder enemy’s skull in a cutscene.

God I love the new MK story modes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Continuing my slow journey through Tropical Freeze. I love many things about the design, but my favorite little touch is that the last main world's regular stages are each sequentially themed after the world theme progression from the original game (jungle, seashore, etc...) except all are now covered in snow and ice. Really neat way to wind up the story (well, such as it is) by going home to clean things up, while turning it into a good gameplay mechanic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tale on steam because I haven't touched it in years, pretty much since I bought it, and never beat it. It's pretty good, the combat is satisfying and the parry has great feedback, I love how Fidget's different projectile types have different behaviours (also interacting with the Dust Storm technique differently) and the sidequests are fairly interesting for the most part, sometimes unlocking totally optional areas that you never otherwise would need to go to. Also unlocking the friends is quite cute when you find them.

I also like that you don't need to grind for items more than once - just sell the first one of a particular item that you find to the merchant for him to catalog, then every now and then he restocks and everything you catalog gets more items of that type added to buy. So I don't have to grind for 8 Beast Spears which seem rare, I found one, sold it, and now just need to wait for the shop to get more in stock so I can finish that sidequest. Probably not gonna bother with the sidequest to get the 1000 hit combo though.

I'm currently at the Sorrowful Meadows

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a room in Dust thats basically the intended spot to get the 1000 hit combo by spamming lightning on a massive pile of enemies. It takes like 20 seconds and is on your way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Barudak posted:

Theres a room in Dust thats basically the intended spot to get the 1000 hit combo by spamming lightning on a massive pile of enemies. It takes like 20 seconds and is on your way.

I have a question - if you use Fidget's projectile with the Dust Storm, are you using a Fidget Spinner? :D

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me of God Hand, which also has ladders but no ladder-climbing animation. Instead, when you get near a ladder and press the prompted button, you simply jump to the top (or bottom) of the ladder. It's one of those things that I'm sure saved a bit of effort during development, but also keeps the game moving quickly and makes perfect sense in God Hand's weird game world.

This also comes back in Vanquish.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Streets Of Rage 4 is a love letter to the entire franchise, with fantastic references to older games throughout. Every part of the stage design is a work of art, but the last stage? :chefskiss:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Seedge posted:

Streets Of Rage 4 is a love letter to the entire franchise, with fantastic references to older games throughout. Every part of the stage design is a work of art, but the last stage? :chefskiss:

Just picked it up this morning and can't wait to get started.

Have been playing through SOR: Remake for the past few weeks to get in the groove. I really hope the guy/team that did that (bomber games) managed to be part of Lizard Cube

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite little thing in Doom Eternal is how when you kill The Khan Maykr, the false god of the universe, and drat the universal concept of heaven and paradise to eternal hellfire and domination by the forces of evil, the post mission kill markers rate it a 3/whatever on the Doomometer. Shooting her weenie of a priest in the head then leaving rates a 15. The structure of the game itself knows that the backstory doesn't matter at all lol

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Control has a very good power curve and I enjoyed going from a scared rando with a crappy pistol to basically an esper from Akira.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CzarChasm posted:

Just picked it up this morning and can't wait to get started.

Have been playing through SOR: Remake for the past few weeks to get in the groove. I really hope the guy/team that did that (bomber games) managed to be part of Lizard Cube

I really want to like everything about SOR remake except for the fact that every single enemy seems to enjoy nothing more than retreating offscreen where I can't fight them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Streets of Rage 4 is very good, just really well-crafted from start to finish. It's hard to pick out a little thing though, because it's all just solid craftsmanship. I guess the fact that you can throw weapons at enemies, then catch the weapon after it bounces off of them and throw it again, is a cool little thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have one to add for SOR4

There are hidden mini-game boss battles throughout the levels. They are hidden in the form of arcade cabinets. How do you access the game? By attacking the cabinet with a tazer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is very good, just really well-crafted from start to finish. It's hard to pick out a little thing though, because it's all just solid craftsmanship. I guess the fact that you can throw weapons at enemies, then catch the weapon after it bounces off of them and throw it again, is a cool little thing.
I remember being able to specifically pull that off in Final Fight 2. I'm guessing so did the SOR4 devs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're quick enough you can also catch the projectiles thrown at you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
One of my favourite things in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is that after a fight in the street, there will be discarded hats strewn all over the road from where they've been knocked off. It's a great detail, and I love it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is Syndicate actually any good? I played it for like 20 minutes and it just felt hollow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is Syndicate actually any good? I played it for like 20 minutes and it just felt hollow.

AC: Syndicate is fantastic and well worth playing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

yeah, Syndicate is really good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Syndicate is my favorite game in the series in terms of gameplay. It’s the same general formula as the previous games but adds actual stealth and combat mechanics to it. It seems like most goons like the action-RPG turn the series took afterward but I would have preferred that they keep building on Syndicate’s gameplay instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think how much you like Syndicate also depends on how much you managed to burn out on the formula up to that point. It's a greatly refined/improved version of Unity IMO but if you didn't get over having to pick up every doodad that's trackable on your map yet, it will still be exhausting and it's not that big of a shakeup vs. the previous game (unlike Origins).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten Dust: An Elysian Tale now. The final level is cool because the opposing army has been said to be powerful with a lot of technology, so you end up killing jet fighters and cannons along with the infantry, and nothing like it has been seen before. It definitely feels like a big step up.

Also I like that the final boss doesn't have gimmicky forms, it's just the terrain is collapsing for each stage of the fight as the general initially tries to win his friend back, realises that he can't, and resolves to fight him to the death. Even after the fight is over, he's still calling for his friend to save him as everything collapses and he clings to the edge of a precipice. It's quite effective. Even after they resolve to fight to the death, at the start of each fight he keeps trying to reach the person Dust used to be and is kind of bewildered that he's not there.
It's an interesting way to humanise the character given he's a genocidal rear end in a top hat. It's a well balanced fight too, not difficult enough to piss you off but tricky and long enough to keep things tense.

Also the art was fine, the fully animated cutscenes were animated well enough for amateur art and it's clear a lot of work went into it, it has a reputation for being a furry game with subpar art, but it was fine. There were a few talking heads that were a bit wonky but for the most part it worked where it mattered.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I've beaten Dust: An Elysian Tale now.

The whole dynamic between that general and the assassin that's now part of Dust makes zero sense. You basically have him outright say multiple times that what Dust is doing now isn't the same evil shithead he remembers so fondly. The tone, the words, the context, they clash so horribly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The opening section when you're stuck in the tutorial missions is a bit lame but as soon as you get to the open world it's pretty fun. The city just feels really alive around you, IMHO. Playing as Evie is best though, because she is not an arrogant mansplaining douchelord.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Man I love Syndicate. Evie is great, London looks like such a shithole, and the mustaches are on point.

The grappling hook seems like a gimmick, but there's more utility to it than you'd think. You can't use it to pull enemies off rooftops or GET OVER HERE tho, which is a Game Crime.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I really liked that Syndicate set up unique environments for the big assassinations and you could actually plan them out (and be stealthy). The moving train HQ was neat too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Imagine tho if you couldn't fast travel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Kingmaker is kind of glitchy. Now, normally you'd think a buggy, glitchy game would go in the other thread, right? But this has been hilarious. Sometimes, randomly in the middle of a fight, my character will get downed because five guys will punch them in the face and all crit with sneak attacks, that's just how the system works I've come to accept it. But here's the weird thing; the game often seems to think my character getting downed means the fight is over, and that I won. So I'll get dialogue and rewards after the fact. Then the fight resumes, and I'll finish murdering whatever angry punchdog I was fighting, and the dialogue will trigger again, and I'll get double rewards.