Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing through Half-Life Blue Shift reminded me to say I think bullsquids are very cute and I would love a little bullkitten of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In this page we assault the Strogg listening to Sonic Mayhem.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
drat, there's a new duke nukem game coming! hell yeah! it's gonna use the quake 2 engine! this rules! nothing can go wrong!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Guys this Forbes Corporate Warrior game seems really cyberpunkish, you're even playing inside a VR environment!

:v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did y'all see Goldeneye and Turok on N64? I'm sorry but PC gaming is DEAD.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Pft, look at this old man still playing with Cartridges, I've got Lifeforce Tenka on the PlayStation, blows both of those out of the water.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

al-azad posted:

*plays 4 player match of Goldeneye at 5fps* man this is so cool!!!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VpX-feA2M

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are the Quake 2 mission packs as good as Q1? I'm just finishing Q1 MP2 right now, and need something to play next.

I bounced off of Unreal, it just didn't suck me in.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I thought Ground Zero was a lot better than The Reckoning but they're both fun.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quoting myself from last year.

Mierenneuker posted:

The Reckoning is awful. The new enemies* are terrible. The new weapons are terrible. A combination of the new enemies and how enemies are placed means there is a lot of seemingly unavoidable damage. I personally think Quake II is best when you can enter a room, then bob and weave to avoid enemy fire and take them out. That's harder when you are constantly looking for health. It doesn't make things more challenging, it makes things more annoying.

Ground Zero is great... is what I'd say if it didn't have turrets. Turrets are static enemies in a game where everything moves around (again: I like to bob and weave). They do plenty of damage and have a small hitbox. Some don't appear until you reach a certain area, some are placed in ways that they will catch you by surprise unless you carefully look around before entering a room (for example: above a doorway). I like the new weapons. I like the new enemies (final boss is an uninspiring copy of the original final boss though). I like the levels, even though they go a bit overboard with the whole backtracking thing. But the turrets are so unfun that they sour the entire expansion. If somebody compiled a version of the expansion without the turrets... that would be swell.

*changed versions of pre-existing enemies, outside of the monkeys who you have to deal with in the first levels

I probably make things sound way worse than they really are, but it is definitely Ground Zero > Netpack I: Extremities > The Reckoning.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 30, 2020

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

haveblue posted:

Technically an FPS and stealing the true-3D thunder one year early

A few pages late, and perhaps not technically an FPS, but I wanted to give a shout out to the Terminal Velocity series, which came out a couple months later, and which I rarely see discussed. I never played the original TV, but I played the poo poo out of the quasi-port Fury 3 and the 1996 sequel, Hellbender.

Pretty good soundtrack, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXcjA51B1k

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
can't believe sega is already giving up on the saturn

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ETPC posted:

There's still so much untapped potential in the Saturn. Just look at Powerslave. Puts Quake to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGFJlNcZnDY

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Come on, it's 1997! Things got Bloody this year! I've said my piece before about how much I love Blood, so I don't think I need to go over it again, so I'll ask a question instead: does anyone know how to get mods running in Raze? I tried just dragging the .zip of Death Wish onto the .exe, but that's not doing it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mierenneuker posted:

Quoting myself from last year.

I probably make things sound way worse than they really are, but it is definitely Ground Zero > Netpack I: Extremities > The Reckoning.

Yep, the Reckoning has horrible bulletsponge enemy reskins. I think I turned on God mode for the last few sections as it got that bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ETPC posted:

Oh poo poo 3DFX leaked the next Sega console and now Sega is suing them. Surely 3DFX will lose and be forced to sell their assets to Sega who will enter the hardware market and completely dominate for all time. Just imagine seeing Sonic in the next Quake game!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Oh poo poo 3DFX leaked the next Sega console and now Sega is suing them. Surely 3DFX will lose and be forced to sell their assets to Sega who will enter the hardware market and completely dominate for all time. Just imagine seeing Sonic in the next Quake game!

Was that a genuine thing in 1997? Because oh man, that feels real quaint and I want that to have been a real rumour.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been thinking of playing through Strife, since I never played it and the promise of Doom with a chill story sounds interesting. But what is the best way to go about this? Should I just load the original WADS in GZDoom, or is it worth getting the Veteran Edition and doing the same thing?

Also, and this might sound like heresy, but how are the weapons and how well does it get along with gameplay WADS? I still had the original game files and loaded them up with Psych, which promises compatibility,and it's fun but you're way too overpowered. Tried loading up GMOTA, and it sort of works but might break any second.

Would you guys recommend going in vanilla, or are their particular wads that pair very well?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

VikingofRock posted:

A few pages late, and perhaps not technically an FPS, but I wanted to give a shout out to the Terminal Velocity series, which came out a couple months later, and which I rarely see discussed. I never played the original TV, but I played the poo poo out of the quasi-port Fury 3 and the 1996 sequel, Hellbender.

The one I always remember is the one that was in the Hellbender shareware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-F230YpcxI

Which is also reminding me of the soundtrack from the weird, deathmatch-inspired side-scroller Hunter Hunted. Great era for game music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWN6w7XHXRs

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

Was that a genuine thing in 1997? Because oh man, that feels real quaint and I want that to have been a real rumour.
The first half of his post is very real. Sega had two different avenues of research for Dreamcast development, one using a PowerVR-based chip, and one using the phenomenally popular Voodoo chipset. Then 3dfx went public and let slip that they'd gotten a deal with Sega, and Sega got mad, scuttled the deal, and went with the PowerVR-based solution we got in the end.

Though 3dfx is the one who sued, not Sega. Given the fate of both companies in the early 2000s, I imagine this whole kerfuffle didn't help either party a whole lot. I can't say that everything going smoothly between them would've gone great either, of course, given, well, one company died and both stopped making hardware.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s hard to say if Dreamcast would’ve survived longer had they gone with the superior hardware but EA took one look at the alternative, concluded it was garbage developed by a personal friend of a SEGA of Japan executive in a shady deal, and backed the gently caress out. It’s why SEGA invested heavily in their own sports franchises.

It’s interesting how many pc ports were in the works. Like we missed out on a System Shock 2 and Undying port which I would’ve loved in 2000 with my old rear end computer that struggled with Red Alert 2.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

An infinite amount of nostalgia for this 1995 game:

It was outdone by this 1997 masterpiece though:

E: Speedrun for insight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6nXSOPNgA

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2020

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Y'know, I still haven't tried Dark Forces 2 at any point.

Actually the only game past Dark Forces I've played is Jedi Academy, which I gather is not everyone's favorite, but IDK it seemed fine.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It is fine, but personally, it is the low mark. Outcast is the seemingly universal favourite, but my nostalgia biases towards the early 3D Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I've been thinking of playing through Strife, since I never played it and the promise of Doom with a chill story sounds interesting. But what is the best way to go about this? Should I just load the original WADS in GZDoom, or is it worth getting the Veteran Edition and doing the same thing?

Also, and this might sound like heresy, but how are the weapons and how well does it get along with gameplay WADS? I still had the original game files and loaded them up with Psych, which promises compatibility,and it's fun but you're way too overpowered. Tried loading up GMOTA, and it sort of works but might break any second.

Would you guys recommend going in vanilla, or are their particular wads that pair very well?

SVE gives you some subtle map bug fixes and graphical improvements (talking about the resource file, here, not the renderer, they've done basically the equivalent of Marphy Black's sprite fix project) as well as an extra sidequest that can reward you with permanent berserk.

I'd recommend staying with vanilla weapons, you'll start weak (especially since you can't aim for poo poo) but will end up overpowered pretty soon as you find more weapons and get better accuracy. My pro-tip is to save gold for a backpack as soon as possible. My favorite weapon is the incendiary grenade launcher, it's perfect to deal with heavy opposition. The only downside is that you'd rather not be in a hurry, because those flames stay there for a while and they kill very quick, but then again, it's why it's such a good weapon.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

You can get TV on IOS and it plays fine as a little mobile game to distract you if not sometimes bugging out completely, it's a very short simple game though.

Shadow Hog posted:

Actually the only game past Dark Forces I've played is Jedi Academy, which I gather is not everyone's favorite, but IDK it seemed fine.

Outcast play like a slightly reduced feature set version of Academy but with much much better story/pacing there's a port mod of the levels that ports outcast into academy so you can play it with the improvements of academy. Academy has more creative level designs I think, Outcast seems like they weren't 100% on what did and didn't work yet so you get things like one shot snipers and bits that aren't vertical as they could be.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 1, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, I was annoyed when Techland put their Hexen-like, Hellraid, "on hold." It's been talked about before, I was really looking forward to it, especially since we don't get a lot of people explicitly naming Hexen (and I think Witchaven, but I'd need to check that) as inspirations.

I don't think we're getting it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Cat Mattress posted:

SVE gives you some subtle map bug fixes and graphical improvements (talking about the resource file, here, not the renderer, they've done basically the equivalent of Marphy Black's sprite fix project) as well as an extra sidequest that can reward you with permanent berserk.

Note that the compatibility of SVE is different between GZDoom and actual SVE, GZDoom doesn't support SVEs lightmaps or decals, and may have gameplay inaccuracies. If you don't have the mouse input bug, it's better to play SVE in SVE.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No one commented Abuse on page 1996. I'm disappointed at you people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't tried it, but there is a nice looking fps/fantasy RPG for GZDoom here
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/113775-ascension-release-v-11-by-big-memka-and-shadowman/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Definitely remedy this. It's still quite fun, even though the graphics haven't aged as well as some of its contemporaries.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Dark Forces will always be my favorite, but Outcast with the dismemberment console command is a super close second. Jedi Knight is still fantastic; how many games let you kill yourself with speed? The cruiser escape level will always haunt me as one of my first real panic inducing gaming experiences. Now it's easy, but that level shook me up as a kid.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wrong year, only incidentally first person, slightly more incidentally shooter…

…but these trips back made me finally track down the bestest gamest everest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh58lqd0PLg

The years have not been kind. :D

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is from back in February, but I just learned about it - The Steam version of Descent 3 now has upgraded, native, 64-bit Linux and Mac ports done by Ryan C. Gordon. If you own the Windows version, you have these for free. No plans to bring these improvements to the Windows version, which is a real shame because it could really use the extra TLC.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I haven't tried it, but there is a nice looking fps/fantasy RPG for GZDoom here
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/113775-ascension-release-v-11-by-big-memka-and-shadowman/

This looks cool, downloading now! Thanks!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

Abuse ruled but confused the level layouts confused the heck out of me as a kid. Or... was there a hub level? Or something? Was it proc-genned? All I remember is I could never find the same area twice and having no idea how anything was supposed to join up.

Looking it up the game apparently contains a LISP interpreter?? And you can right LISP code to mod it? That is by far the coolest extensibility option I have ever heard of. Get your dlls and your monkey patches out of here.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

In this page we assault the Strogg listening to Sonic Mayhem.

What's your favorite track? Mine's probably Big Gun. I like the tracks that feel like this hopeless battle against impossible odds. Bitterman is couragewolf before couragewolf. Bite off more than you can chew....AND CHEW IT.

Turin Turambar posted:

This game was cool as gently caress and iirc the protagonist was named after Nick Vrenna, the drummer from NiN???

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't played it in 20+ years but on this, the page of our lord 1997, i am thankful for Outlaws

(also the Sonic R soundtrack, but that's killer without guns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Not an FPS exactly, but sufficiently adjacent: The original 2004 Star Wars Battlefront has received a big update to revive online multiplayer on Steam and GOG, with cross-platform play between the two platforms.

Also, all your Dark Forces and Jedi Knightses are heavily discounted on GOG and Steam as part of some lame pun hashtag.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 1, 2020