Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Of course, some people say you should just forget everything and make everyone a Wyvern Lord.

Fliers are just so absurdly strong, I made a squad of 4 fliers on my second playthrough and it was crazy how much easier it was. The ability to quickly get some units anywhere to lockdown some strategic unit/gate/spawner seems to break the design of a lot of the maps. I understand the natural counter is supposed to be archers, but pretty much every archer I came across would fire once, miss, and then get one shotted by a lance/axe through the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eclipse12 posted:

Your island's bad and you should feel bad

"The people like your scenery but you need fences!"

*Puts down fencing*

"The people think you island lacks appealing scenery"

I hope someone puts chocolate in her dinner.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Residents are saying there's too much junk lying around"

That junk is my turnips, which happen to be driving the island's economy and renovation, as opposed to the 1/50 of a single bridge you ingrates would fund in a year :colbert:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Len posted:

"The people like your scenery but you need fences!"

*Puts down fencing*

"The people think you island lacks appealing scenery"

I hope someone puts chocolate in her dinner.

Hey now, don't shoot the messenger. Isabelle is merely a representative for your island's petty and contrarian local populace, and you're the damned fool who decided to listen to their harebrained demands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Animal Crossing sounds like it's built to make libertarians out of its players. I picture a few more instances of this:

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Residents are saying there's too much junk lying around"

That junk is my turnips, which happen to be driving the island's economy and renovation, as opposed to the 1/50 of a single bridge you ingrates would fund in a year :colbert:

and the player will go full John Galt.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Since we're talking about Animal Crossing, I've unlocked Terraforming and the amount of control it gives you over your island is great! Except for one little detail; you can't move Visitor Services or whatever it's called. You can't touch that poo poo, wherever it was placed when you chose your island? You're stuck with it, forever. You can move any other building, except the airport, but not that one. And it sucks because having one out of place or misligned building can really screw with your terraforming plans in ways you didn't expect. So this has really put a dampener on my spirits to keep playing now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what the hell since when is Animal Crossing Sim City

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The terraforming tools are so bad. You go one block at a time and the fucker snaps to tiles if you're just slightly off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The snapping is a whole issue on its own in Animal Crossing. Just give me an indicator or something to show me where I'm actually about to put something down. So often you're turned just a little bit left or right and and end up slamming it right next to where you wanted it.

Also it's just too drat chatty. I just wanna turn in a couple of fossils, why do I have to skip my way through 17 separate dialogue bubbles?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I am pretty harsh on the landscaping interface too, even just trying to make straight sidewalks I'm constantly undoing work or veering a half inch off path where I'm suddenly in a completely new tile. I usually say that Nintendo's interfaces are 90% well thought out and 10% astoundingly poorly thought out, but as much as I like the game I'm revising the latter percentage upwards for Animal Crossing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Fliers are just so absurdly strong, I made a squad of 4 fliers on my second playthrough and it was crazy how much easier it was. The ability to quickly get some units anywhere to lockdown some strategic unit/gate/spawner seems to break the design of a lot of the maps. I understand the natural counter is supposed to be archers, but pretty much every archer I came across would fire once, miss, and then get one shotted by a lance/axe through the head.

yeah, it's crazy. I'm playing Golden Deer right now, and Claude, Hilda, and Byleth are forces of nature. They're good enough on normal maps, but it's insane how they can completely ignore terrain restrictions and make mounted units look like chumps.

I think if they were trying to balance the classes they should have removed the dismount option. I love having it as a player, but it's too easy to have the option to remove their big weakness.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I watched a compilation of the bosses from Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, the NES-styled companion game to Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Most of the bosses appear in both games.

The little sprite guys have so much more style and personality than their polygonal counterparts. They all have some unique final all-out attack once they bite it, while the 3D guys just slump over and turn into a crystal. It kind of makes them retroactively disappointing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

what the hell since when is Animal Crossing Sim City

They warned us of its coming two months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4WZCLbtVs&t=1230s

I don't really have any personal interest in Animal Crossing but I don't begrudge people for liking it. I'm so out of the loop that I don't know if tools used to break or not beforehand. This one seems to have made a lot of annoying decisions that go against its chill relaxing fun 0 stakes appeal as an outsider looking in at it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the Onimusha remaster has a built-in achievement system, which is fine, but it even comes with its own pop-ups which you can't disable.

it's weird because i don't have any problem with the trophy popups on PS4 games. But it feels weird to see it on the Switch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The horse ai in RDR2 is pretty bad. In Shadow of the Colossus I could ride into a dense forest and the horse would avoid the trees on it's own, while in RDR2 I have to steer it all the time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Alhazred posted:

The horse ai in RDR2 is pretty bad. In Shadow of the Colossus I could ride into a dense forest and the horse would avoid the trees on it's own, while in RDR2 I have to steer it all the time.

Would you say it’s giving you...AGGRO?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Replaying RE7 and I completely forgot there's no option to skip cutscenes...of all the most basic, easy-to-implement interface decisions to help the player with literally no gameplay downside, my mind is always blown when game devs leave it out :psyboom:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The remaster of FFXII lets you cheat to max out your cash, which is convenient since this one of the RPGs where money can be hard to come even in the endgame. What single-player games come with the recommendation that you cheat? Not to make it easier, but to cut down on hours of fruitless grinding. Stuff like Mass Effect's planet-scanning .

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Celeste lets you know almost first thing that it has a bunch of accessibility options ranging from infinite dashes and invincibility to directly reducing the game's speed and that they don't affect achievements.

Edit: It's not really cheating outright but Death Stranding's Very Easy difficulty is SO easy that you have to actively try to destroy your cargo or get caught by enemies. You're literally invisible to them unless you walk right into them (you still should probably crouch to make less sound though). Kojima went on record saying this was on purpose because he wanted everyone to be able to experience it, specifically the actors who play roles in the game but aren't really gamers themselves.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:35 on May 3, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Isn't Death Stranding like 70 missions long? The sheer length of the main quest is probably more intimidating than any kamikaze couriers or black goo monsters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a very long game but a lot of that is chillin out in vast open landscapes while keeping norman reedus from falling over and assembling an increasingly large jenga stack of wobbly boxes, which is one of the things changing the difficulty does not seem to affect at all. It's not very high intensity most of the time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Edit: It's not really cheating outright but Death Stranding's Very Easy difficulty is SO easy that you have to actively try to destroy your cargo or get caught by enemies. You're literally invisible to them unless you walk right into them (you still should probably crouch to make less sound though). Kojima went on record saying this was on purpose because he wanted everyone to be able to experience it, specifically the actors who play roles in the game but aren't really gamers themselves.

That sounds pretty good to me, a person who is Bad At Video Games but still want to experience them.

The thing that's dragging Deat Hstra Nding down for me is that due to quarantine, the PC release has been pushed back until the 14th of July. Goddammit

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Don’t worry, with everyone now going outside without masks, we’ll likely be quarantined again for July.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Replaying RE7 and I completely forgot there's no option to skip cutscenes...of all the most basic, easy-to-implement interface decisions to help the player with literally no gameplay downside, my mind is always blown when game devs leave it out :psyboom:

Capcom did the same thing in the Onimusha remaster, and that game originally came out in 2001. Seriously, being able to skip cutscenes and remap controls should be the bare minimum for a re-release.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The remaster of FFXII lets you cheat to max out your cash, which is convenient since this one of the RPGs where money can be hard to come even in the endgame. What single-player games come with the recommendation that you cheat? Not to make it easier, but to cut down on hours of fruitless grinding. Stuff like Mass Effect's planet-scanning .

Recently finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 with a bajillion minerals spare because it set off my gamer OCD, you know the same thing that makes you horde health items for the final boss and then never use them. Especially annoying that there's no way to sell them for credits, I was struggling for money most of the game but had a ship overflowing with minerals in the hope they might be useful later on..... Nope. I didn't even come close to scanning every planet and I had way too much of everything, if you're the kind of player that needs to 100% everything that must have been torture.

I sure did find some random anomaly missions that took 5 mins tops to complete though. Totally worth it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CJacobs posted:

Celeste lets you know almost first thing that it has a bunch of accessibility options ranging from infinite dashes and invincibility to directly reducing the game's speed and that they don't affect achievements.

As someone who bought and played a lot of 8-bit games as a kid where I could barely finish the first two levels, I applaud every addition of a difficulty that just lets you experience the entire game. I won't need it in modern games, but it is great that it is there.

Here's looking at you Last Action Hero for the Game Boy, you son of a bitch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

75% of the enemies in castlevania aria of sorrow are obnoxious-rear end flying enemies, which is extremely grating in any area with spikes. relatedly, the game has 3 distinct terrible petrifying medua head sections over spikes, because the usual castlevania quota of 1 of these wasn't enough. game hasn't been terrible overall and the world layout is better than symphony of the night, but it's the worst castlevania I've played because of these parts. looking forward to moving onto dawn of sorrow, which I've played before and remember being a lot better than this.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

75% of the enemies in castlevania aria of sorrow are obnoxious-rear end flying enemies, which is extremely grating in any area with spikes. relatedly, the game has 3 distinct terrible petrifying medua head sections over spikes, because the usual castlevania quota of 1 of these wasn't enough. game hasn't been terrible overall and the world layout is better than symphony of the night, but it's the worst castlevania I've played because of these parts. looking forward to moving onto dawn of sorrow, which I've played before and remember being a lot better than this.

Ok so I know that it's not be true metriodvania w/o the obnoxious clock tower medusa head climbing level, but does anyone actually like those? The are almost always one of the least interesting and most annoying parts of any game they are in and I assume they are only included because the Devs are working from a checklist of things the castlevania games did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mierenneuker posted:

As someone who bought and played a lot of 8-bit games as a kid where I could barely finish the first two levels, I applaud every addition of a difficulty that just lets you experience the entire game. I won't need it in modern games, but it is great that it is there.

Here's looking at you Last Action Hero for the Game Boy, you son of a bitch.

Many old school games, especially arcade games, don't really care if you win or not which is a bummer. Personally I think not every game needs to be beatable by everybody from a pure skill requirement standpoint (accessibility is a whole other deal), but something I do feel is important is that a game allows anyone to at least try. A lot of the enjoyment of a video game comes from the implicit expectation that you eventually will win, either through learning to play it more in line with what it asks of you or just the game throwing you a bone.

Nintendo Hard games from a bygone era are Nintendo Hard because they weren't made with that in mind imo- I think of old Infocom adventure games where if you don't pick up the toothbrush in Act 1 you can't beat the game because you need it for something completely irrelevant in Act 3. Or OG Ninja Gaiden on the NES where they clearly did not care about making a video game anyone could give an honest go at because every single board demands perfection since you die in one hit.

edit: Actually I don't remember if you die in one hit in ninja gaiden but there are tons of enemies conveniently perched right on the edge of bottomless pits and if you get hit you obviously fall right down them and die, which is basically the same thing

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:11 on May 3, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's why I like emulators for things like bad gameboy games because I can at least cheat my way through with save states and see what the game is trying to do. There is an Action Man Gameboy game that is not good, at all, but the level design is neat because each world is split into sub-levels and each one gives you a suit or weapon that allows you to beat a different one, but not the next one in the sequence. So you beat the first ruins level, get climbing gear, and the second ruins level needs you to be able to swim so you leave the ruins to go to a mountain to see what you can get there, which could be a drill for a completely different level. It's interesting, but without emulators I never would have seen just how interesting the game was. I'll probably never play it again, but I was able to satisfy my curiosity as to what the game had to offer and that was nice.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While FFXII: The Zodiac Age has many QoL features over the initial version it does have one new annoyance. Spells and Techniques that you could buy in shops are now instead hidden in treasure chests across the world. Most treasure chests have random crap in them like a potion and eventually respawn, but the good poo poo is found in one-time chests that don't look any different from crap chests You have to consult a guide again if you don't want to spend a good chunk of the game without some cool skill.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The third or so level in yo noid I beat exactly once in my life. I gave up on the game permanently that day when I game overed a few levels later.

I don't know any of the cool emulator sites anymore so I can't even try again :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Nintendo Hard games from a bygone era are Nintendo Hard because they weren't made with that in mind imo- I think of old Infocom adventure games where if you don't pick up the toothbrush in Act 1 you can't beat the game because you need it for something completely irrelevant in Act 3. Or OG Ninja Gaiden on the NES where they clearly did not care about making a video game anyone could give an honest go at because every single board demands perfection since you die in one hit.

They were mostly hard so you needed to buy strategy guides, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bony tony posted:

They were mostly hard so you needed to buy strategy guides, right?

That and because they had like zero memory to work with so they had to make the game last somehow, with a dash of not really have experience doing any other type of difficulty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That and because they had like zero memory to work with so they had to make the game last somehow, with a dash of not really have experience doing any other type of difficulty.

Also because they hadn't yet really grown out of the arcade design sensibility (with a lot of NES and SNES games literally just being attempted ports of arcade titles) which is why you even still saw "insert coin" and such text in games through the early eras and why the lives system persisted for so long, because lives were by and large an artifact of arcades but served as an excellent way to, as you point out, make a very short game last longer. It's actually kind of funny to replay a game that seemed to take forever to struggle through as a kid like the early Megaman titles or something and realize that it's like, maybe an hour or two long with some of the later titles in the series offering minimal replay value in the form of unlocking power ups hidden in stages.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Also because they hadn't yet really grown out of the arcade design sensibility (with a lot of NES and SNES games literally just being attempted ports of arcade titles) which is why you even still saw "insert coin" and such text in games through the early eras and why the lives system persisted for so long, because lives were by and large an artifact of arcades but served as an excellent way to, as you point out, make a very short game last longer. It's actually kind of funny to replay a game that seemed to take forever to struggle through as a kid like the early Megaman titles or something and realize that it's like, maybe an hour or two long with some of the later titles in the series offering minimal replay value in the form of unlocking power ups hidden in stages.

The Capcom Beat Em Up collection is weird to play. It had unlimited continues, since it’s basically the arcade versions set to free play. When you can’t get booted back to the start the games are like an hour tops. I really wish they did the console versions that had limited continues but adjusted difficulty to compensate so it doesn’t feel like I can just beat my face against it until I win.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most NES games were in fact easier in their original JP release, and were made more difficult because Japanese developers at the time thought western audiences wanted more of a challenge. Double Dragon for example had an easy difficulty setting in Japan, as did River City Ransom. Battletoads and Castlevania 3 had many adjustments made to the JP releases that made them significantly easier. So weirdly enough the entire concept of Nintendo Hard that people remember from that era came from a mistaken assumption that Japanese gamers were just insanely more skilled and technical than Americans, when in many cases western audiences were the only ones playing these super hard versions of NES games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The original Resident Evil 3 just had an Easy Mode and a Hard Mode to gently caress with the normies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Most NES games were in fact easier in their original JP release, and were made more difficult because Japanese developers at the time thought western audiences wanted more of a challenge. Double Dragon for example had an easy difficulty setting in Japan, as did River City Ransom. Battletoads and Castlevania 3 had many adjustments made to the JP releases that made them significantly easier. So weirdly enough the entire concept of Nintendo Hard that people remember from that era came from a mistaken assumption that Japanese gamers were just insanely more skilled and technical than Americans, when in many cases western audiences were the only ones playing these super hard versions of NES games.

This actually broke down differently depending on the company. The big antithesis to what you describe being Square, who were instead under the impression that western audiences were too stupid to understand RPGs. Hence why Final Fantasy 5 wasn't released on the SNES (and potentially a factor in why 2 wasn't released on the NES, coupled with a weirdly late launch window), and why 4 got the famous changes that made it almost braindead easy. Capcom also seemed to be in the 'western audiences need easier games' camp, given how they added an easier difficulty mode to at least one of the Mega Man games. And difficulty was famously cited as one of the big (though not only) reasons the original SMB2 wasn't put on the NES, in favor of a modification of Doki Doki Panic.

Basically people were just making baseless assumptions about what overseas audiences wanted all over the drat place until maybe somewhere around the N64 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Didn’t one of the DMC games have an easy difficulty in the US that was the standard difficulty in Japan?