Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

punk rebel ecks posted:

Literally all of these bosses are better than anything besides Smelter Demon in Dark Souls 2's base game.
what about the giant frog with the beautiful voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Joe Man posted:

Yes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is almost every Dark Souls 2 boss fight.
I don't like ds2, you don't have to convince me of that. doesn't change that capra demon is boring and easy with a bad camera except for the start with the dogs which is an annoying gotcha

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pinwheel also isn't annoying to fight and can't destroy all your gear
that doesn't mean he's a good boss fight. also I have never seen covetous demon do anything that could gently caress with your gear and I have played through ds2 like 6 times(or anything annoying-I have only ever seen covetous demon do a jump attack or a roll attack). the reason covetous demon is bad is that he's trivially easy. kind of like pinwheel.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any good DS3 mods that don't break the core game experience? The WeX Dust mod seems cool but I'm not far in the game and I'd be utterly lost if I invaded in an area I haven't even visited in my own world.

Can invading phantoms hurt enemies? It looks like they don't target you but I haven't really performed an invasion

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not unless someone uses a seed of a giant's tree. some enemies can do friendly fire by accident anyways tho, if they can hurt other enemies(like the giants in cathedral of the deep, which can stomp on enemies) they also will friendly fire invaders.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

DS2 has a lot more bosses than the other games so the average quality gets dragged down. sometimes they're fully fleshed out but sometimes they're a generic big-enemy moveset being carried by a single idea like "pools of fire", or "the water slowly rises", or "fat"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

punk rebel ecks posted:

Literally all of these bosses are better than anything besides Smelter Demon in Dark Souls 2's base game.

Pursuer, Darklurker, executioner's Chariot, Looking Glass Knight and Velstadt are fine. :shrug:

I mean it's obvious that you don't like the bosses in 2 and I do, but your distaste of them seem to be incredibly arbitrary since all the bosses you do sing praise of are similar to ones in 2 as well, but they get discounted just by virtue of being in 2. Except the ones you personally like.

Lt. Danger posted:

DS2 has a lot more bosses than the other games so the average quality gets dragged down. sometimes they're fully fleshed out but sometimes they're a generic big-enemy moveset being carried by a single idea like "pools of fire", or "the water slowly rises", or "fat"

This is one of the bigger issues, definitely. And if not that, then they up the game with "it's the same guy but two or three times" like skeleton lords or the two dragon riders. But it's not something exclusive to 2 either, it just has more of those. Since even the first game had bosses that were, or became, generic enemies (taurus and capra demons) or bosses that were just multiples of the same easily dealt with guy (four kings). And even in three where you have things like the deacons, or the crystal sage who is just like the first sage except, surprise, he teleports out of range this time if you can't one-shot him this time.

Every dark souls game has a few good bosses, a few bad ones and the bulk of them are lame and unforgettable but people constantly act like Dark Souls 2 is exceptional in this regard, and usually for no particular reason.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nuebot posted:

Pursuer, Darklurker, executioner's Chariot, Looking Glass Knight and Velstadt are fine. :shrug:

Pursuer is "okay". Never fought Darklurker. Chariot is terrible. Looking Glass Knight is fine, cool concept but underwhelming. Velstadt is boring.

Nuebot posted:

I mean it's obvious that you don't like the bosses in 2 and I do, but your distaste of them seem to be incredibly arbitrary since all the bosses you do sing praise of are similar to ones in 2 as well, but they get discounted just by virtue of being in 2. Except the ones you personally like.

I never said any of those bosses were "good". They're just not as bad as the bosses in Dark Souls 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Velstadt is cool and chariot is at worst ok, it's a cool concept with only kinda awkward execution

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fun fact: it’s the horse that’s evil, not the guy driving the chariot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's all horses

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's funny how it works. smelter demon is just a big dude with a sword but his gimmick ties to some of the weaknesses of souls combat (blocking and butt-hugging) so it's cool. deacons of the deep is a complex fight with multiple enemies, multiple enemy types, different kinds of attacks, a hunt-the-boss phase, a timer... but individual deacons are just so weak and boring it brings the whole thing down

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pursuer is "okay". Never fought Darklurker. Chariot is terrible. Looking Glass Knight is fine, cool concept but underwhelming. Velstadt is boring.

I never said any of those bosses were "good". They're just not as bad as the bosses in Dark Souls 2.

Chariot is an awesome fight you weirdo. The idea that any of these boss fights are worse than Capra Demon or especially Ceaseless Discharge is ludicrous.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I tried carrying my friend to Vordt after he beat Gundyr. We got to the second bonfire, then to the Pus of Man area on the rooftops (I killed it before it transformed because I didn't want to bother), but then someone invaded us. The invader went to the rooftops, spammed emotes (the sit-down/rest one), and at some point I said gently caress it, and backstabbed him. It took about a quarter of his health so we started fighting, then I parried him, so he rolled away, drank an Estus, and used a Black Separation Crystal. That's normal, right?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, yes? what are you trying to say?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wondered about the emote spam. Was the invader trying to goad us into attacking him? Then just gave up when he couldn't kill us?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I wondered about the emote spam. Was the invader trying to goad us into attacking him? Then just gave up when he couldn't kill us?

Sounds like it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gotta protect that k/d for the leaderboards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Souls 3 is the only game in the series where most of the bosses are really good or interesting. In 1 and 2 the vast majority are speedbumps with a handful that stand out as either notably good or terrible. I give 2 the edge here since its two terrible bosses are extremely optional (royal rat authority) and the most optional (ancient dragon) while Ceaseless and Bed of Chaos in 1 are both mandatory. Pretty much all the DLC bosses are good though, barring the DS2 "co-op" area ones aside from Sir Alonne.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'll rephrase that: Dark souls 3 is the only one where the majority of the bosses are skill tests. In the rest of the series, a lot of bosses don't ask for much, if any, action game execution skills from you, and are more about just knowing what to do (and some of them are just literally nothing). That's not necessarily better or worse. But of course a lot of people like it that way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I like my bosses to be mere speedbumps because bosses get in the way of exploration and that's why I play Souls games. There's nothing more demotivating for me than thinking "I should start DS3/Sekiro/Nioh up again" followed by "oh right I quit after the 40th attempt at boss X last time and it's the only thing to do right now".

I hate grinding out boss attempts to get good at them. I'm fine with bosses that are trivial once I understood all their moves. It's still challenging enough to reach that understanding, tyvm. If I want a cool bossfight action game, I play DMC or Bayonetta instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I like my bosses to be mere speedbumps because bosses get in the way of exploration and that's why I play Souls games. There's nothing more demotivating for me than thinking "I should start DS3/Sekiro/Nioh up again" followed by "oh right I quit after the 40th attempt at boss X last time and it's the only thing to do right now".

I hate grinding out boss attempts to get good at them. I'm fine with bosses that are trivial once I understood all their moves. It's still challenging enough to reach that understanding, tyvm. If I want a cool bossfight action game, I play DMC or Bayonetta instead.

What the gently caress...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is that opinion somehow unreasonable

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
DS3 bosses are still very much in the same vein as the earlier games. There’s always a gimmick that you just need to figure out over time.

About 6 months after Dark Souls Remastered came out I decided I’d give the series a chance. I’d never played any of the games, and a coworker was encouraging me to try it. I’d always resisted because I thought they were difficult in a frustrating way.

I was very surprised and loved the game. I found it challenging in a fun way. Once I finished I wanted more so I grabbed Demons Souls, then dark souls 2, then bloodborne. Finished them all fairly quickly and moved on to Dark Souls 3.

It took me like, an hour and a half to get past the tutorial boss. I was so pissed that they had increased the difficulty and were doing this bullshit gatekeeping git-gud, sniffing their own farts nonsense and was convinced that Dark Souls 3 had finally lived up to my original expectations that I had about the series that they were difficult in an un-fun mind-crushingly difficult way I think I even came in here bitching about it.

But then I went back and tried one more time and it clicked. He’s got a gimmick too. I just wasn’t being patient and watching for it. Once you figure it out you can beat him quickly without even getting hit, and that’s the same as the bosses in the earlier games.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 30, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you think ds3 is not more skilltesting than the other games, you're just wrong.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

The boss fights of latter-era From games are spectacular. I can't imagine even wanting to play them without the having the mountains of the big ticket boss fights to climb.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, the exploration is definitely the main attraction for me too, not that I dislike the bosses. The bosses are my favorite part of Sekiro, but I think of that game as more souls-adjacent than a straight up soulslike.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

multijoe posted:

The boss fights of latter-era From games are spectacular. I can't imagine even wanting to play them without the having the mountains of the big ticket boss fights to climb.
I mean that's ok but it really shouldn't be that hard to imagine liking the series for different reasons

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Amppelix posted:

It's not so much an opinion just what they like about the game in particular. It's totally not unreasonable it's just different from what like 90% of the player base likes most about the games.

Like in BB for example I was always looking forward to the next boss no matter who cool the area was (and knowing the boss would probably absolutely wreck me many times).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Aidan_702 posted:

It's not so much an opinion just what they like about the game in particular. It's totally not unreasonable it's just different from what like 90% of the player base likes most about the games.

Like in BB for example I was always looking forward to the next boss no matter who cool the area was (and knowing the boss would probably absolutely wreck me many times).

Where are you getting that 90% from?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

It's easy to confuse "what I like" with "what most people" like. It's not a specific dig, but yeah that 90% is going to be hard to support.

Also, it's not like I hate bosses, they can be amazing experiences to fight and learn and overcome and triumph, some of my best Souls memories are from bossfights. There's just a definite moment for me when the challenge stops being fun, and DS3 crosses that threshold a little too often. Again, for me personally.

I love Curse-Rotted Greatwood because it's fun to pop the cysts and I almost never struggle. I like how quickly Crystal Sage can be over. It's cool to clown on the Deacons. Many people call these bosses too easy but they're the perfect level of challenge for me. Not free (like Pinwheel), not blocking my progress because I need a bazillion attempts (many, many bosses in Sekiro).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Call me crazy, but a boss fight doesn't need to be super challenging or have new mechanics to be fun. I like pretty much every souls boss fight except Bed of Chaos.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I agree but also I like it way more when it's challenging

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

As long as the boss fight doesn't blind me or make the camera act in stupid ways I'm usually fine.

And that's why Pus of Man is the worst enemy in darksouls - blinds you and makes the camera do stupid poo poo.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Honestly I don't like exploration because I don't like being clowned to death in an ambush, so I really take my time to map out an area. What I would've liked was the ability to replay a boss fight without having to start another playthrough.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Honestly I don't like exploration because I don't like being clowned to death in an ambush, so I really take my time to map out an area. What I would've liked was the ability to replay a boss fight without having to start another playthrough.
You'll be happy to play DS2 afterwards then (or not, because you'll get clowned a lot)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just need to vent but Sister Friede is From jerking themselves off about how Dark Souls is soooo hard and they can go gently caress themselves for how loving stupid bullshit the fight is

poo poo, I'm even ok with the actual DLC sans the part where you go down to the Gravetender fight, the encounters there are also some loving galaxy brain gIt gUd meme garbage.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Just need to vent but Sister Friede is From jerking themselves off about how Dark Souls is soooo hard and they can go gently caress themselves for how loving stupid bullshit the fight is

Stay strong my dude, just one more phase and you're done with her :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How about soundtrack? Because Dark Souls 1's OST is a million miles better than 2 and 3.

All of Dark Souls songs loving rule, even Pinwheel.

DS 2 had Longing, that's it.

DS 3 had Soul of Cinder, that's it