Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neongrey posted:

I like him just fine, but I mostly listen for two people with big dad energy talking adjacent to a book than anything else and I feel like most of the stuff people object to with him is part and parcel of the dad energy.

I once heard someone say of Collision that he has "this way of telling jokes that's like he'll see a joke, then start slowly jogging toward it and pointing at it while smiling and waving to the audience" which is a very dad way to tell jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

neongrey posted:

, but I mostly listen for two people with big dad energy talking adjacent to a book than anything else.

Actually, this is pretty much my thing too, they’re just...pleasant to listen to, I guess. It’s also why I love the episodes where they do a musician’s biography, because they’re both so into music it ends up veering way off the book into some really interesting stuff.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't mind the cozy mystery episodes; I still listen and enjoy. But I just wish they'd waste less time on them and do more interesting poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like JW more than I like Collision but sometimes when I'm listening to JW at work I wanna jump up and down and scream "JUST BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU GOOBER!" like Jesus dude can you BREATHE?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I like JW more than I like Collision but sometimes when I'm listening to JW at work I wanna jump up and down and scream "JUST BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU GOOBER!" like Jesus dude can you BREATHE?

Oh man, Good to know I’m not the only one, there were a few times in this newest episode I could really hear it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I haven't listened to Descendants or All in a long while. What's problematic about their lyrics?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I haven't listened to Descendants or All in a long while. What's problematic about their lyrics?

"Hope" in particular has pretty sinister nice guy vibes

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Famethrowa posted:

Yikes. That's some big Elliot Rodgers vibes

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

omnibobb posted:

From I’m Not a Loser off Milo Goes to College:

You’re a loving son of a bitch
You arrogant rear end in a top hat
Your pants are too tight
You loving homo
You suck
Mr. Buttfuck
You don’t belong here
Go away
You loving gay
I’m not a loser

Famethrowa posted:

Marriage, Hope, and Bikeage are a perfect trilogy of gross nice guy songs. I’m the one off Everything Sucks is also very nice guy.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Again, big yikes!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I hear they've basically grown up and said "yeah, we were stupid young men and didn't really understand the impact of what we were saying", and that they've rewritten the end of "I'm Not a Loser" for when they play live, but as far as I'm aware they still also play those other songs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been going through the archives since I have a really long daily commute, and I got to an episode where they had the hosts of the Worst Bestsellers on, and holy crap, that was awful. I had to skip it within ten minutes, they’re just incredibly unpleasant to listen to.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been going through the archives since I have a really long daily commute, and I got to an episode where they had the hosts of the Worst Bestsellers on, and holy crap, that was awful. I had to skip it within ten minutes, they’re just incredibly unpleasant to listen to.

As a huge TWB fan, I must protest.

Although, to be fair, I stopped listening to By the Book for similar reasons. Now THOSE are some irritating voices. I almost never have misophonia, but Jolenta Greenberg's voice makes me want to die. Also, her husband is an rear end in a top hat and I am so uncomfortable listening to how he speaks to her.

(She is awesome, but podcasting is a sound-based medium, so...)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

As a huge TWB fan, I must protest.

Although, to be fair, I stopped listening to By the Book for similar reasons. Now THOSE are some irritating voices. I almost never have misophonia, but Jolenta Greenberg's voice makes me want to die. Also, her husband is an rear end in a top hat and I am so uncomfortable listening to how he speaks to her.

(She is awesome, but podcasting is a sound-based medium, so...)

It’s something about their accents, mixed with the fact they’re both really high pitched and also talk with incredible amounts of vocal fry, which I never even usually notice. I just can’t stand it, it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Are those the maximum ride ladies? I really liked them mainly because they seemed to be having a blast

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
My husband has the same strong visceral reaction to their voices so we can't listen to TWB together. :(

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

In the wake of all this terribleness, Jay just put out a new Satellite High record :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, I was excited to see that an episode dropped last week and I hadn’t noticed. Put it on in the car and heard it had the people from the worst bestsellers on it and turned it right off. Major bummer. I just cannot stand their voices at all.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Man, I was excited to see that an episode dropped last week and I hadn’t noticed. Put it on in the car and heard it had the people from the worst bestsellers on it and turned it right off. Major bummer. I just cannot stand their voices at all.

But they just sound like ordinary average women? To my ears anyway. The Worst Bestsellers podcast is great too because they explore genres IDEOTV stays away from. Bad romance and YA novels are their own special kind of hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

But they just sound like ordinary average women? To my ears anyway. The Worst Bestsellers podcast is great too because they explore genres IDEOTV stays away from. Bad romance and YA novels are their own special kind of hilarious.

It’s a mix of accent and the vocal fry or something. I don’t know why specifically, but they’re the only podcasters I have that reaction to.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I gave their show a shot a while back and made it about ten minutes. They have the same smug smarminess as Chris, without a JW.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just cannot stand their voices at all.

Its the recording equipment. I swear.

Its so lovely and one of the host is blatantly being recorded on skype with a really lovely mic.

Bad audio quality has been a major turn off for me on a variety of podcasts which might have otherwise been good. I was ok with Worst Best Sellers until it got to the point where I just felt like I was on a bad Skype call.

(I liked the Duarte opinions. :3:)

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

They're so much less smarmy than other podcasters, and I really don't hear vocal fry, but again: By the Book.

Heeeeyyyyyy Kristeeeeeeeeeeeennnn

Hey Jolentaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*head a splode*

I had that same feeling a hundred years ago with the original hosts of Stuff Your Mom Never Told You.

And to make this complaining a little less gynocentric, someone tell the guy from Disgraceland that "intense, monotone whisper" grates after a while.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love The Worst Bestsellers but I think voices can be really individual in terms of what grates. I had to stop listening to Read It and Weep because one of the hosts drives me insane. Also they had a weird out-of-sync problem that kept happening half an hour in and it made it unlistenable for multiple episodes in a row.

In terms of vocal fry, that gets perceived a lot more in women's voices than in men's, I'm not wholly sure why. This American Life did a story about it a few years back. One of their female reporters was getting a lot of poo poo about her voice and Ira Glass came on to point out that his voice is fried all to hell and he does not get complaints about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Podcasting is a medium that asks “what if you didn’t need a good voice for radio?”

Is “vocal fry” some new thing? I cannot ever remember hearing that phrase before this year in my life and suddenly it’s like a huge part of podcasting discourse. I don’t even know what it means.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Vocal fry is an actual quality of the human voice (listen for the stuttering/rattling at the lower edge of your vocal range), but it's thrown around a lot as a reason people who don't like women talking can point to instead of sexism. I honestly don't think it has any effect on the enjoyment or otherwise of podcasts or radio. Of anybody on this episode, Jay probably exhibits it more than either of the guests.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So it’s like audio equivalent of split ends?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rochallor posted:

Vocal fry is an actual quality of the human voice (listen for the stuttering/rattling at the lower edge of your vocal range), but it's thrown around a lot as a reason people who don't like women talking can point to instead of sexism. I honestly don't think it has any effect on the enjoyment or otherwise of podcasts or radio. Of anybody on this episode, Jay probably exhibits it more than either of the guests.

It may just be how I hear their crap audio quality that someone else mentioned. I’m not great at explaining why certain sounds grate, just that they do, and listening to them sucks for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don’t hate the Worst Bestsellers girls but its absolutely a true fact that IDEOTV is a much more enjoyable show when it leans to the F-Plus style, “oh god what the gently caress” confused amusement than when it goes for smarmy and smug put-downs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have nothing against the Worst Bestseller ladies but their accents drive me up the wall. I had the same problem with My Favorite Murder.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I don’t hate the Worst Bestsellers girls but its absolutely a true fact that IDEOTV is a much more enjoyable show when it leans to the F-Plus style, “oh god what the gently caress” confused amusement than when it goes for smarmy and smug put-downs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
IDEOTV is at its best when they’re talking about book-adjacent stuff, with the “oh god what the gently caress” stuff a close second. It’s why the autobiography episodes are the best, especially the musician ones.

Looking forwards to listening to the new episode today, I have no idea how they went this long without doing a Dresden Files book.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, there's a reason the Lemon guest episodes are the best. More Lemon please.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Odd question-- I listened to episode 145 about JK Rowling's terrible mystery novel due to current events, and they mention a previously reviewed novel that heavily references the band Clutch. That's very much something I'm interested in hearing about due to a years long Clutch obsession. Any idea what book/episode they're referring to?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paladin posted:

Odd question-- I listened to episode 145 about JK Rowling's terrible mystery novel due to current events, and they mention a previously reviewed novel that heavily references the band Clutch. That's very much something I'm interested in hearing about due to a years long Clutch obsession. Any idea what book/episode they're referring to?

The Cabin at the End of the World. They didn’t do an episode on it, it was part of one episode’s recommendations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jay and Collision return with that poo poo we all love: thrillers from disgraced wingnut welfare grifters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And Jeb Lund is on this one, with his actual professional-grade recording stuff! It’s nice having a guest who doesn’t have jacked up sound quality.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1280874927944372224

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

can’t wait

https://youtu.be/VMBylNJQEbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chris Collision’s dramatic reading from this episode is the most difficult thing I’ve ever forced myself to sit through listening to.