Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EponymousMrYar posted:

They also dupe if your character's class changed before. I got through the latter chapters of Duran/Angela/Kevin and my first 4 seeds (I had 8 brought over with NG+) were one of each option for Duran/Angela, in order. Kevin got 2 dupes in the 6 pull I did (despite being on a different branch.)

The weird thing with Mintas and the Duskmoon Forest is that it's always dark there now. I remember in the original game that it went to a normal day/night cycle after plot events happened in it, but now it's just always dark. It would make a good grinding spot for Kevin parties if grinding XP were necessary :v:

I'm actually pretty sure that those areas were always dark in the original too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's only "necessary" to grind XP if you want to hit 99 in a playthrough without the NG+ chain ability. My 2nd team hit 99 with the fights for the class 4 change items, ie. before starting Anise's dungeon :eek:

I had to babysit this run a lot more than my first playthrough (which was archmage Angela, liege Duran on heals and Fenrir knight Riesz on debuffs). High cleric Charlotte often didn't bother to heal for ages even when someone's low health alert went off and the rest of the party was around 50% - she was set to the prioritize support setting, but still spent most of the time HOOOLY BOLT-ing and ineffectively, uh, flailing around. And it looks like she doesn't really use the saber spells on her own or does she? I mostly had to play starlancer Riesz though because she regularly didn't put up her group buffs (and especially not to clear stat down debuffs from enemies) and frequently spammed her summon - which locks her in the animation for a long time in which you can't switch to her eg. for CS. Nightblade Hawkeye on the other hand seemed fine on AI control so I barely played the run's main character.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

orcane posted:

It's only "necessary" to grind XP if you want to hit 99 in a playthrough without the NG+ chain ability. My 2nd team hit 99 with the fights for the class 4 change items, ie. before starting Anise's dungeon :eek:

I had to babysit this run a lot more than my first playthrough (which was archmage Angela, liege Duran on heals and Fenrir knight Riesz on debuffs). High cleric Charlotte often didn't bother to heal for ages even when someone's low health alert went off and the rest of the party was around 50% - she was set to the prioritize support setting, but still spent most of the time HOOOLY BOLT-ing and ineffectively, uh, flailing around. And it looks like she doesn't really use the saber spells on her own or does she? I mostly had to play starlancer Riesz though because she regularly didn't put up her group buffs (and especially not to clear stat down debuffs from enemies) and frequently spammed her summon - which locks her in the animation for a long time in which you can't switch to her eg. for CS. Nightblade Hawkeye on the other hand seemed fine on AI control so I barely played the run's main character.

For Riesz, you want to set her Move frequency to 0%, and just use her moves from the Ring Menu (since you only really want to use her moves in certain situations). This idiot proofs her AI into doing exactly what you want.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Interesting about the ??? seeds - so can it be that the very first playthrough when you turn them in, you're guaranteed to get unique ones that you can use, and after that it's random? I ended up turning in seeds one at a time, changing classes as I got the ones I needed, and got 0 dupes in the first 6, which seems very unlikely (though I know it's possible I just got lucky).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

EponymousMrYar posted:

They also dupe if your character's class changed before. I got through the latter chapters of Duran/Angela/Kevin and my first 4 seeds (I had 8 brought over with NG+) were one of each option for Duran/Angela, in order. Kevin got 2 dupes in the 6 pull I did (despite being on a different branch.)

The weird thing with Mintas and the Duskmoon Forest is that it's always dark there now. I remember in the original game that it went to a normal day/night cycle after plot events happened in it, but now it's just always dark. It would make a good grinding spot for Kevin parties if grinding XP were necessary :v:

So in the original the Moonlight Forest was "always" night.

What this practically meant was that the game just froze the time when you went in and said it was night time.

So in particular, if you went in during the day and Kevin was in your party, he'd never be able to transform.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where should I be putting my training points early on for Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela? Hawkeye and Riesz aren't going to have spells to target early on so I don't know what's going to be useful for them. So far I've been splitting between Strength and Luck for Hawkeye, Strength and Spirit for Riesz, and Intelligence and Spirit for Angela.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yeah thats about right.
You can also invest some strength into angela but other than that its about what seems to be the case.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Angela’s magic requires an even spread among all the categories. It’s kind of a pain tbh I have her in Light class 4 and I still don’t have all the + spells.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Angela’s magic requires an even spread among all the categories. It’s kind of a pain tbh I have her in Light class 4 and I still don’t have all the + spells.

Honestly, once you get to the endgame you don't _need_ anything but Lucent Beam+.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, once you get to the endgame you don't _need_ anything but Lucent Beam+.

Cheesed my way through the endgame then got stonewalled at black rabite because of this

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

Where should I be putting my training points early on for Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela? Hawkeye and Riesz aren't going to have spells to target early on so I don't know what's going to be useful for them. So far I've been splitting between Strength and Luck for Hawkeye, Strength and Spirit for Riesz, and Intelligence and Spirit for Angela.

Personally, this is how I did it for Hawkeye, Thief to Ninja Master!Vigilante:

Base: Luck (Max), Intellect (Max), Strength (Optional)
Ninja: Luck (Max), Intellect (Max)
Ninja Master: Luck (up to getting the + versions of each Jutsu), Intellect (Max), Strength (up to Super Ninja Trick), Spirit (Up to CS Ninja Boost)
Vigilante: Intellect (Max), Luck (Max), Strength (Max), Spirit (Max), Stamina (Max)

Not a Children posted:

Cheesed my way through the endgame then got stonewalled at black rabite because of this

Oh yeah, Black Rabite absorbs light now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not a Children posted:

That's what Spike Freeze+ is for, especially since you're investing in the Int tree anyways.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For Angela's class 4 trial I actually had an easier time of it once I stopped casting spells and just attacked. Not as much damage but between the enemy's low def and putting points into str for Salamando it was enough, and I didn't have to stand still casting in the red zones.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Phayray posted:

Interesting about the ??? seeds - so can it be that the very first playthrough when you turn them in, you're guaranteed to get unique ones that you can use, and after that it's random? I ended up turning in seeds one at a time, changing classes as I got the ones I needed, and got 0 dupes in the first 6, which seems very unlikely (though I know it's possible I just got lucky).

From what I understand, the 6 chests in the dungeons will have different seeds and they are static drops. The ones dropped from enemies will be random. I got two knight crests for Duran and two ninja master items for Hawkeye when I was trying to get night blade.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I haven't gotten any ??? seeds yet, but if I happen to get one that I don't want, can I still use that to class change, then go back and change again if I get the one I actually want later?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beefstew posted:

I haven't gotten any ??? seeds yet, but if I happen to get one that I don't want, can I still use that to class change, then go back and change again if I get the one I actually want later?

Not without the specific item that lets you reset your class, which I didn't find any of until the post-game dungeon.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can do that but "later" is really late because the goddess scales item (the class reset item) doesn't show up until the last chapter.

E: or even the post-game chapter, I can't remember.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 1, 2020

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

orcane posted:

Yeah you can do that but "later" is really late because the goddess scales item (the class reset item) doesn't show up until the last chapter.

E: or even the post-game chapter, I can't remember.

I know there was one in the last dungeon of Riesz's story at least.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I found one in Dragonsmaw

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
There is one Goddess Scale in the last dungeon, then 3 or 4 in Anise's Stockade.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ah, I must have missed it then, because my first one was in Anise's.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On Riesz's path it's in the room where you fall into the pit for the crab boss refight.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Good to know! Thank you for stopping me from loving myself over!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man you can speedrun this poo poo real quick, with the 300% XP boost in NG+ you'll be like 60 by the time you see your first ??? seed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's if you even bother to fight trash encounters. You could just blitz through to bosses and still be overleveled.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
wtc Zehnoa was some FFXIV raid poo poo, I think I was missing the gimmick.

edit: apparently I was supposed to use water haha

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 1, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just did Anise in under a minute, wasn't too difficult. All level 99, Light Riesz buffing machine, Dark Hawk stat downs and to apply status effects, and Light Angela to do basically all the damage.

Level 99 but gear far from optimised, Angela had gear from Pedda still.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zenithe posted:

Just did Anise in under a minute, wasn't too difficult. All level 99, Light Riesz buffing machine, Dark Hawk stat downs and to apply status effects, and Light Angela to do basically all the damage.

Level 99 but gear far from optimised, Angela had gear from Pedda still.

How do you stop the non-controlled party members from eating poo poo to avoidable attacks though

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

How do you stop the non-controlled party members from eating poo poo to avoidable attacks though

Honestly considering how quickly you need to kill Anise you probably can't afford to care if they die.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Nobody died in that attempt, but the answer is poto oil (which Riesz used)

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

In NG+ you can change to class 3 at mana stones if you have the items. Save your ??? seeds from your first game and plant them in NG+ to get your class change items early.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

:kiddo:

but i only had kevin for damage (bring a light claw)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I haven't really considered it before, but it's kind of hosed up how many creatures you kill in this game that are explicitly babies.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There are a lot of weird/messed up implications that are glossed over. My favorite is the idea of Dream Reed. Like, does time speed up or does it just happen instantly? What happens to people all around the world? Are they aware of it, do they go "well there goes my sleep schedule, thanks adventurers"?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I assumed you smoked it and lost track of time.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Zenithe posted:

I haven't really considered it before, but it's kind of hosed up how many creatures you kill in this game that are explicitly babies.

The Trials crew inspired The Heavy a lot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
On those lines, why is there some random magic lady hanging out in a pocket dimension who you can go beat up whenever you feel like it

Maybe she's so grumpy because nobody ever drops by to do anything nice :mad:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

wtc Zehnoa was some FFXIV raid poo poo, I think I was missing the gimmick.

edit: apparently I was supposed to use water haha

aside from using water, he also goes down a lot easier if you set your ai to fight people other than what you're fighting (to distract the adds) and save class strikes for the invincibility frames during that giant fuckoff fire pool thing he uses when he's about half health (or at least I maybe dodged it twice in several attempts)

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Oh my god I’ve been having a blast. Killed three Benevedons so far, running with Hawkeye/Angela/Riesz. Angela just turned into Grand Divener and is MELTING bosses and Hawkeye as Ninja Master, aside from his stupid costume, breathes poison on mobs and they die. It’s glorious. I love that feeling after struggling through mid game then becoming overpowered and crushing all before you. Just waiting to find Riesz’s Light light class item and I can chortle my way through the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
First round of NG+ with starting-out Duran and Angela, and level 75 Charlotte. I've just reached the Wind Stone with Duran & Angela at L 34.

I came in with a set of ??? Seeds from the last playthrough, and when I turned them in I got a random selection of items for all three of my current characters. If beating the Gusthall boss gets Duran and Angela to 38 I may see if I can get them to tier 3 right away with the class items I have.