Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:lmao:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:leavemtg:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
oh there's definitely going to be some wonderful austerity coming. governments just spent billions of dollars and people lost their jobs which shrinks the tax base, at least for the time being. I don't think anyone believes in counter-cyclical spending anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

oh there's definitely going to be some wonderful austerity coming. governments just spent billions of dollars and people lost their jobs which shrinks the tax base, at least for the time being. I don't think anyone believes in counter-cyclical spending anymore.

the only people who believe in counter-cyclical spending are voters and they don't count

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:laffo:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

get hosed gun nerds(please don’t shoot me)

It's a positive step but they're grandfathering in all the guns already here and it's not even a full assault weapons ban just specific models.

Feels more like half measures than a win imo

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is anyone else slightly distressed by the fact that the “economy is being reopened” after a short period of having been closed due to a deadly virus, undoing any progress having been made to mitigate the spread of said virus? We’re walking into a buzzsaw and are going to see a phenomenal spike in covid cases in a few weeks- or worse, covid stats stay the same while “excess deaths” spike without attribution, giving no reason to close down again.

One thing you can bet on is austerity in MB won’t slow down and will in fact continue to accelerate, especially after our guinea pig experiment goes as horribly as is expected

Yeah but have you thought that I haven't been able to walk around a Leon's and sit on couches all day???

Or wandered around an apple store???

Had drinks on a lovely Canad inns patio???

My life shouldn't be inconvienced!!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nairbo posted:

Edmonton and Lethbridge have encouraging numbers that might be okay for a phase 1 but no loving way Calgary is. The numbers are still high and people have already been ignoring the guidelines today. I guess everyone read the news that restrictions will be relaxing soon too because Memorial Drive was absolutely packed with pedestrians when I was out today, maybe 1/10th wearing masks and 1/20th even attempting to practice some form of distancing from strangers.

This city is beautiful but it’s so cursed

I almost got in a fight with some dude in the grocery shoving past me against the direction of flow. Like he blew into a rage at anyone suggesting he shouldn't just do whatever the gently caress he wants.

I hate people

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There's a new kind of tape on the market. It draws arrows that point at dickheads.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As long as my gun club is closed I can’t buy any of the guns that are about to be prohibited.

Oh well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

oh no gubbermint gonna take muh guns!!!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is anyone else slightly distressed by the fact that the “economy is being reopened” after a short period of having been closed due to a deadly virus, undoing any progress having been made to mitigate the spread of said virus? We’re walking into a buzzsaw and are going to see a phenomenal spike in covid cases in a few weeks- or worse, covid stats stay the same while “excess deaths” spike without attribution, giving no reason to close down again.

One thing you can bet on is austerity in MB won’t slow down and will in fact continue to accelerate, especially after our guinea pig experiment goes as horribly as is expected

if you read between the lines on roussins press conferences, they dont give a poo poo about virus spread now that the health system has somewhat stabilized, ventilators have doubled and they have ICUs emptied for all the new infected. it was never about stopping the virus, it was about building enough capacity to handle the sick people when the government wants to get businesses open.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Aren’t all those guns they are talking about already prohibited anyways?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

if you read between the lines on roussins press conferences, they dont give a poo poo about virus spread now that the health system has somewhat stabilized, ventilators have doubled and they have ICUs emptied for all the new infected. it was never about stopping the virus, it was about building enough capacity to handle the sick people when the government wants to get businesses open.

Politicians are not concerned about virus deaths, only triage deaths that can be directly blamed on their policies

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Crow Buddy posted:

Who the gently caress knows? They're playing onesie-twosie with specific models. They came SO close with the "everything over 10 KJ" rule. Define what a prohibited weapon is based on what it can do, not its friggin name.

It can fire more than once per trigger pull, either because of its trigger sear design, or because it has something like a bump stock, or because some lunatic wired it up to a robot
It can fire things civilians don't need, like .50 cal rounds or 40mm grenades or just list other stuff here it's fine
It can feed more than 5 rounds into the chamber without a mag change
It's shorter than such-and-such a length
It shoots fire or darts or AP rounds or rabid bees or whatever

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 17:19 on May 1, 2020

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Crow Buddy posted:

If they were they wouldn't need to ban them.

Anyways some were restricted by name (ar-15's) or by length. Those require a restricted gun license.

Lots of them were non-restricted by length and only required the basic license.

Echoing flakeloaf it's stupid banning by name if anything ban by feature if you were truly serious about making Canada "safe". Otherwise it's a game of whack a mole and a waste of time and money.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ban all guns that you don't pour gunpowder down the barrel of using a horn.

Make horns fashionable again.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Another Bill posted:

Feels more like half measures than a win imo

Feels more like neoliberal platitudes to me

Everyone needs something to feel good about in hellyear tho :shrug:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s beyond stupid. The FAL and now the M14, giant, clunky, Cold War, wood and iron battle rifles are banned because..?

It’s completely nonsense. Just pandering to people who have never touched a firearm and are completely absorbed by American media and culture.

Someone made the observation that without Tim Hortons and Heritage Moments, many Canadians think of themselves as being basically American, and it shows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seems like Quebec and the maritimes are the ones who have the issues with mass shooters perhaps they should look into that?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And the angry misogynists who make up like 100% of spree killers

And the smuggler's dream that is the American border

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/cpc_hq/status/1256237124954849290?s=21

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I read the comment boards about the Conservative leadership on the Globe / CBC / NatPo and people are screaming for an alternative to the Liberals. All they have to do is put forward a lip service climate change plan and stop yelling about TRUDEAU TRUDEAU TRUDEAU. People are spelling it out for them over and over and over, but nope.

They are just so powerfully out of touch. It's remarkable really.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

The Conservatives will be scrapping all forms of maternity and parental leave any minute.

Also child labour laws! ... And I thought I was joking until I remembered Alberta already did this:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Obviously this is advocating a government backed 100% employment policy where all people are offered reasonable employment opportunities suitable for their abilities!

A Good Tweet?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
banning guns is just the easiest thing for the government to do, appears to be doing Something and accomplishes basically nothing. some gun owners might be prone to moments of american styled hyperbole about gun ownership but our gun laws were fine as is imo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Actually our gun laws are a mess that could be sensibly cleaned up, but yea just adding a bunch of guns to a ban list is hilariously bad

vvv Keep getting mad about guns :allears:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im glad the stupid gun guy has posted in this thread so i can say you're a loving retard and not get banned

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Lust For More Guns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As a sword nut I'm pleased whenever gun nuts experience just a mere taste of the adversity we have had to face for hundreds of years

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

wrong thread for the haiku!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jehde posted:

Actually our gun laws are a mess that could be sensibly cleaned up, but yea just adding a bunch of guns to a ban list is hilariously bad

vvv Keep getting mad about guns :allears:

all I can say is be careful what you wish for when you want laws "cleaned up."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dreylad posted:

all I can say is be careful what you wish for when you want laws "cleaned up."

Yea that is the monkeys paw of it, and why it's generally just best to leave it be. I specified sensibly though. :v:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

you come out of the woodwork every time there is a mass shooting not because you have empathy for people that have been killed but because you're afraid it will affect your hobby

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trudeau is going to win a majority.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

People are talking about the gun stuff :shrug:

I post about other things when other things are happening, but everyone is focused on banning the guns right now

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

BOOOOOOO WORK SUCKS

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Honestly i could probably tip off the rcmp about you with the way you fetishisize military weapons and talk about militias. Wasn't that also the personality type of the fascist that shot up nova scotia?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think cops expect proof when you make wild accusations. Like they're dumb but not that dumb

I'm sorry the guns are angering you. I can only advise maybe ignoring them if they bother you so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RBC posted:

Honestly i could probably tip off the rcmp about you with the way you fetishisize military weapons and talk about militias. Wasn't that also the personality type of the fascist that shot up nova scotia?

Who is that directed at?

Also lol at profiling “personality types” for criminality.