Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I know about PlexPass. ATSC 3.0 is 4k HEVC encoded up to 120fps. Then Plex will just stream it natively? That's fine. I'd be using an Xbox One S as a client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Charles posted:

Yeah I know about PlexPass. ATSC 3.0 is 4k HEVC encoded up to 120fps. Then Plex will just stream it natively? That's fine. I'd be using an Xbox One S as a client.

If you live in America your local OTA stations are not making use of 4k or HEVC.

Luckily your XBone supports MPEG2 because it's a Blu-ray player and its Plex app, for all its faults, does make use of that capability.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm in a launch market. Dunno if the coronavirus affects that at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So am I. Thing is, it's up to the stations themselves decide to use it, and that's going to take time. If the networks aren't feeding them higher quality content, it'll take even more time. Broadcast TV has an insanely long legacy equipment tail. The federal government had to buy people new tuners when they set the deadline for broadcasters stop using analog NTSC, and that was with literal decades of warning.

It's cool that you've got an ATSC 3.0 tuner, but in the near and medium term, it'll be good for "hey that's cool" when your local news decides to broadcast in 4K and not much else.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah this is true...if you have a very low amount of stuff to serve since you can't hook up a ton of storage to the thing.

Doesn’t it work with an NAS as the storage for the media and the Shield just does the heavy lifting?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

So am I. Thing is, it's up to the stations themselves decide to use it, and that's going to take time. If the networks aren't feeding them higher quality content, it'll take even more time. Broadcast TV has an insanely long legacy equipment tail. The federal government had to buy people new tuners when they set the deadline for broadcasters stop using analog NTSC, and that was with literal decades of warning.

It's cool that you've got an ATSC 3.0 tuner, but in the near and medium term, it'll be good for "hey that's cool" when your local news decides to broadcast in 4K and not much else.

Cool cool, good to know, just wondering what's possible. Sounds like the minimum would be a GTX 1050 btw but Turing cards are even better somehow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tuyop posted:

Doesn’t it work with an NAS as the storage for the media and the Shield just does the heavy lifting?

It can I suppose, but people mostly just run Plex server on their NAS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Charles posted:

Cool cool, good to know, just wondering what's possible. Sounds like the minimum would be a GTX 1050 btw but Turing cards are even better somehow.

Any decently-modern APU will handle hardware transcoding just fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

Any decently-modern APU will handle hardware transcoding just fine.

Thanks for your help.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

It can I suppose, but people mostly just run Plex server on their NAS.

I thought the shield was much beefier for transcoding than most NAS boxes, though. Am I wrong? The Tegra is definitely going to kick the poo poo out of the Celeron in my Synology.

I was thinking it would be a good upgrade because then I could serve to friends and stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tuyop posted:

I thought the shield was much beefier for transcoding than most NAS boxes, though. Am I wrong? The Tegra is definitely going to kick the poo poo out of the Celeron in my Synology.

I was thinking it would be a good upgrade because then I could serve to friends and stuff.

It all just depends on your NAS, your bandwidth, the device your streaming to, how many devices at a time you want to do, and the source material. AFAICT, most people end up being just fine with their NAS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Transcoding was a much bigger deal 5 years ago when every client supported a different version of "very few things" and tons of people were using a first gen Chromecast. Nowadays, unless you're doing unmolested MPEG2 TV recordings without a client that supports that, serving 4K to a non-4K client, or doing a lot of remote streaming you don't really need to worry about it.

If you're just doing in-home stuff, buy a decent client device for your TV and don't worry too much about server horsepower.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 25, 2020

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My shield pro came in and I love the new remote. It’s got a good weight and the buttons feel clicky like I like.

I won’t have time to get it setup until next week, but I’m not looking forward to logging into every single streaming app ever all over again.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Just upgraded my dusty old HTPC this past weekend. Instead of a remote, there's a logitech keyboard/touchpad. Windows boots up, auto updates/reboots itself during "off hours," and auto logs in, running (in background:): qbittorrent, sonarr, nzbget, a mouse program

on the desktop are a few icons: NETFLIX (opens edge to netflix.com), HULU (opens FF to hulu.com), OFFLINE TV/MOVIES (opens FF to plex), PRIME VIDEO (you get the point) - that's it. they are large and it took about 10 min to find a "hulu" "netflix" logo .ico

if you want to do more advanced things the browser is right there. no need to cast, illegal sports streams work natively, as does weird foreign pirated stuff on Vimeo. if you dont like the fairly easy to use keyboard/touchpad there is a little app you can D/L on your phone to use that as a trackpad.

Most playback is done in the browser via plex, my library is shared with my disabled retired mother and a few friends. I do eventually intend to move the dusty old PC down to the basement though and turn it into a proper server. the rest of the house are Rokus, probably either keep it the same for unity or get a shield instead of another HTPC. I do not claim this to be superior but we have left the keyboard and very basic instructions for guests/house sitters without real issue. My mom uses it when she visits. i'm not going to tell anyone to do differently, but the idea that it's some hilariously clunky setup from 2004 is also quite :goonsay:

TheScott2K posted:

Transcoding was a much bigger deal 5 years ago when every client supported a different version of "very few things" and tons of people were using a first gen Chromecast. Nowadays, unless you're doing unmolested MPEG2 TV recordings without a client that supports that, serving 4K to a non-4K client, or doing a lot of remote streaming you don't really need to worry about it.

If you're just doing in-home stuff, buy a decent client device for your TV and don't worry too much about server horsepower.

have found that almost everything you commonly find in x264 needs transcoding for audio reasons to iDevices - is this not the case for you? also x265 seems to have brought this issue roaring back. i have flashbacks to the first time anime started coming in ".mkv" format and even in standard def the OG xbox stuttered playing them.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 29, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

charity rereg posted:

have found that almost everything you commonly find in x264 needs transcoding for audio reasons to iDevices - is this not the case for you? also x265 seems to have brought this issue roaring back. i have flashbacks to the first time anime started coming in ".mkv" format and even in standard def the OG xbox stuttered playing them.

I remember the horror the move to HD and x264 wrought on those of us with modded xboxen in the mid 2000s. poo poo sucked!

Audio transcoding takes a lot less horsepower than video transcoding, and Plex will helpfully just transcode whatever half needs it - I have a pile of SuperWhy recordings from PBS that, when streamed to a first gen Chromecast, transcodes the MPEG2 video but leaves the audio alone. If iOS clients don't allow that, that's weird and lovely of Apple.

As for x265, once again, if we're talking in-home streaming to a TV just getting a client that supports it makes way more sense than upgrading your server for the sake of transcoding. The lovely little SOCs they put in new streamers and phones all decode it - it's more of a "support" checkbox old devices lack than anything else.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

charity rereg posted:

Just upgraded my dusty old HTPC this past weekend. Instead of a remote

that's where you lose me. there's no good way to do a remote with an htpc.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

wolfbiker posted:

the touchpad on your phone works fairly well i find. i don't find navigating the large icons with a keyboard that bad, nobody has ever really complained. we don't have kids yet, and they learn whatever you put in front of them - but yes the next step is plex server in basement and some sort of content receiving device in the LR. There is very little directly gained from having the computer here at this point with various in home streaming options - I'm running wired gigabit throughout.

everyone knows the logitech keyboard w/ built in touchpad I mean right? It's not ~incredible~ to use lying down or anything but it's ok enough that we've gotten by for 10 years.

TheScott2K posted:

As for x265, once again, if we're talking in-home streaming to a TV just getting a client that supports it makes way more sense than upgrading your server for the sake of transcoding. The lovely little SOCs they put in new streamers and phones all decode it - it's more of a "support" checkbox old devices lack than anything else.

besides power draw (a thing, for sure) I am not overly concerned with that - this was my old gaming PC - $0 upgrade cost, literally just popped the drive from my old HTPC in there. I've got a bunch of 128gb SSDs sitting around that I tossed in for Plex & Usenet scratch disks. i'm not even paying for premium at the moment, but if it comes down to it i'm sure the r9 380 in there can handle an additional stream or two.

work is probably ditching some dual xeon T3500s soon and if I can throw one of those in the basement i'm pretty sure i can stream basically infinitely.

so don't BUY an htpc but maybe set up one up if it's free and a shield isn't and you have enough stuff/people that you still need a plex server. old optiplex SFF come my way all the time too.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 29, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Can't really beat free, that's true.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

wolfbiker posted:

I got this a while ago and never had a problem when I was using XBMC / Kodi with my Harmony remote https://flirc.tv/flirc-usb

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

You can do it, it just requires a lot of setup at the beginning.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I used a Windows MCE remote on my main HTPC from day one until giving in entirely to Plex on Xbox/Fire Stick as frontends. I guess technically I'm still using MCE remote because Xbox's IR commands are basically the same.

That thing was dead stupid simple the whole time. Every HTPC frontend I ever used supports it natively and works in a sane way, all the universal remotes support its commands, etc.

I'm pretty sure people are still making compatible receivers. They come with lovely remotes, but every universal remote that matters supports the MCE/Xbox command set.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Actually been thinking of digging out my old MCE remote for my desktop. From time to time the kids watch Sesame Street on it and the 2 year old yearns to destroy a keyboards and mice, so they go up on a floating shelf. Would be nice to have a remote sitting on the piano or something my wife could use to bring up the Plex app and start something for them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You ever have the buttons wear out on a MCE remote? I tried some stuff to repair mine but couldn't get it to work. I can't remember exactly what I did now. I think use some kind of conductive compound? It didn't last long.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

charity rereg posted:

the touchpad on your phone works fairly well i find. i don't find navigating the large icons with a keyboard that bad, nobody has ever really complained. we don't have kids yet, and they learn whatever you put in front of them - but yes the next step is plex server in basement and some sort of content receiving device in the LR. There is very little directly gained from having the computer here at this point with various in home streaming options - I'm running wired gigabit throughout.

everyone knows the logitech keyboard w/ built in touchpad I mean right? It's not ~incredible~ to use lying down or anything but it's ok enough that we've gotten by for 10 years.

besides power draw (a thing, for sure) I am not overly concerned with that - this was my old gaming PC - $0 upgrade cost, literally just popped the drive from my old HTPC in there. I've got a bunch of 128gb SSDs sitting around that I tossed in for Plex & Usenet scratch disks. i'm not even paying for premium at the moment, but if it comes down to it i'm sure the r9 380 in there can handle an additional stream or two.

work is probably ditching some dual xeon T3500s soon and if I can throw one of those in the basement i'm pretty sure i can stream basically infinitely.

so don't BUY an htpc but maybe set up one up if it's free and a shield isn't and you have enough stuff/people that you still need a plex server. old optiplex SFF come my way all the time too.

I read this and zapped right back to 2006, when Coldplay was still popular, the Nintendo Wii had just become A Thing, and some shithead scientists decided Pluto wasn't a planet any more (gently caress them).

A simpler time, when hooking a PC up to your TV and controlling it with some virtual duct-taped combination of keyboards, mice, remotes, and swearing meant you were ahead of your time and not, in today's terms, a near Luddite one step away from chasing children off your lawn.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Your old honking gaming pc with a Xeon processor (like 80W all by itself!) is basically a space heater and definitely not free to run indefinitely. There’s a break-even point where a low-power NAS + a chromecast or whatever will pay for themselves and then save you money over that computer. Thing’s probably costing you like $150-$200 a year already.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

tuyop posted:

Your old honking gaming pc with a Xeon processor (like 80W all by itself!) is basically a space heater and definitely not free to run indefinitely. There’s a break-even point where a low-power NAS + a chromecast or whatever will pay for themselves and then save you money over that computer. Thing’s probably costing you like $150-$200 a year already.

the computer is an i5 3570k that currently isn't using the GPU, you misread all of my posts in a hurry to post this sick own. i was talking about someday moving to a proper server setup in the basement, not an htpc. there are many goons with not-power-efficient home NAS/server setups because they're useful and fun projects. I apologize if this upsets you. I literally posted that if I move to a server setup the next step is a Roku or Shield in the living room

quote:

but yes the next step is plex server in basement and some sort of content receiving device in the LR. There is very little directly gained from having the computer here at this point with various in home streaming option

Ixian posted:

I read this and zapped right back to 2006, when Coldplay was still popular, the Nintendo Wii had just become A Thing, and some shithead scientists decided Pluto wasn't a planet any more (gently caress them).

A simpler time, when hooking a PC up to your TV and controlling it with some virtual duct-taped combination of keyboards, mice, remotes, and swearing meant you were ahead of your time and not, in today's terms, a near Luddite one step away from chasing children off your lawn.

i'm loving this, you're writing fanfiction about some random stranger's TV setup to make yourself feel cooler or superior. i have 1 keyboard, 0 mice, 0 remotes, and 0 swearing, and told you so, but you came in here to what tell me i'm wrong? lying? that i should have bought an NVidia shield and then... still had to set this computer up as a Plex server to serve my family?

like if you want to come out and say that you are too stupid to use this, that's fine, but i guess my wife and i are super geniuses. incredible how in 2020 there are still people coming out of the woodwork to make posts like yours. it's obviously working for me and is not a threat to your incredible setup. Did you forget to add your sig with your PC specs there? I paid $0 for this setup, please, continue to lecture me about how miserable it must be.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 30, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

TheScott2K posted:

what i actually came back here for was to engage with this actual useful post and mention that in my testing, streaming to Firefox requires transcoding HEVC to H264 and audio down to AAC. That's kind of annoying, most viewing is done on devices (like I said most of my endpoints are Rokus or similar) but was hoping to build more of an x265 library. Transcoding a single 1080p HEVC is a 40-90% processor usage from moment to moment on this 3rd gen i5. I myself am the most likely person to be remote viewing in FF when traveling or streaming at a friend's. My mom and in laws all have proper set top devices. I may actually struggle to watch a local x265 file while one is transcoding, which would be a very common use case for me.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 30, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

charity rereg posted:

what i actually came back here for was to engage with this actual useful post and mention that in my testing, streaming to Firefox requires transcoding HEVC to H264 and audio down to AAC. That's kind of annoying, most viewing is done on devices (like I said most of my endpoints are Rokus or similar) but was hoping to build more of an x265 library. Transcoding a single 1080p HEVC is a 40-90% processor usage from moment to moment on this 3rd gen i5. I myself am the most likely person to be remote viewing in FF when traveling or streaming at a friend's. My mom and in laws all have proper set top devices. I may actually struggle to watch a local x265 file while one is transcoding, which would be a very common use case for me.

Use the Plex client app instead of your browser. Much better codec support, should direct play pretty much anything.

Also, calm down.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 30, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

TheScott2K posted:

Use the Plex client app instead of your browser. Much better codec support, should direct play pretty much anything.

Also, calm down.

I didnt know that was a thing, thank you. Easy solution, and I've been stupidly playing locally through the browser on the HTPC! my last go-round with really using plex was a while back.

Sorry but those posts are some bullshit internet circlejerk poo poo from 15 years ago. I never said any of the things the first guy said i did. and the second guy dropped by just to tell me that I'm liar and must be wrong about having fun with my setup, just to what, make himself feel better about doing things the thread approved way? Not really sure why those useless white noise posts are cool and mine isn't, but it was so "teenagers on the internet" I lost my cool a bit when they both dropped by to tell me i was wrong about my own setup. it sucks to say "i'm doing things a different way, but it works for me!" and have people say "no, you're actually wrong and it doesn't work and you're dumb."

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Extremely defensive about your how usable your htpc is is big 2006 energy, too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm acquiring a lot more 4K content these days, and my desktop serves a dual purpose - gaming PC & Plex media server. However, a number of people with access to my plex server either don't have 4K TV's, or lack an internet connection suitable to direct stream them. This results in transcoding 4K into either 1080p or 720p. While my PC can handle it, I can't play CPU intensive games (I'm looking at you, CSGO) without serious performance impacts. Is there an easy off the shelf NAS solution that'll meet my transcoding requirements? I'd need 4 drive bays, preferably 6.

Also, for anyone looking to control a PC without the usual keyboard/mouse, I use an app called Remote Mouse. Turns my phone into a keyboard / touchpad controlling the PC. We regularly hook up a laptop to an older non-smart TV for netflix / plex access, and it works really well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Buddy, this thread exists to ward people off of buying HTPCs. Rolling in with "just put money into my HTPC" is gonna draw some roasts.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Most people don't know about the plex app and even less will since Plex tried to kill it this year and got a ton of flak for it.

wrt off the shelf transcoding 4K NAS, probably going to be pretty difficult to find something that will do more than 1 of those as i don't think any of the SoC have quicksync? I could be wrong but you can see what intel chips support it here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873&0_QuickSyncVideo=True

edit edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273 has a list of a bunch of NAS units with filters for you

Photex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 30, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The thing they tried to kill was Plex Media Player, which I believe descends from XBMC. The Plex app has always existed in parallel to that, and until last August was a Windows Store thing. Last August they basically said "stop using the windows store app, and also probably stop using PMP," and put out a new desktop app. IMO, it's better than either of those.

Running Plex within Kodi has always been preferable to PMP for the people who want Kodi/XBMC in their lives, and the Windows Store app was never quite right. The current desktop app is good and is well-supported.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Gonna be posting about that birds 1080p h.264 MKV file in no time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

charity rereg posted:

the computer is an i5 3570k

You are extremely triggered by my observation that your old gaming pc uses more electricity than something else. This is a strange response to a discussion about the functionality of an appliance.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have almost the same keyboard (except it's US 101) and it's very useful. The touchpad is nothing special, but it works, especially for the $15 or whatever I got it for.

I miss WMC though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tuyop posted:

You are extremely triggered by my observation that your old gaming pc uses more electricity than something else. This is a strange response to a discussion about the functionality of an appliance.

To be fair an idle system without a GPU probably isn't using more than 50-60 watts. You can also have it go to sleep if you're going to be using a keyboard with it. It's clunky but it's probably not wasting more than :10bux: a year if you let it sleep when you're not using it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So I've been using an HTPC for years, since we only have one TV and I just haven't seen much point in changing things. Since getting a 4k TV, however, it's readily apparent something ain't right in terms of capability, since everything becomes a jittery mess. So my choices are to either upgrade the videocard (which as many have noted means electricity costs go up) or to get something like a Shield to connect up to the TV and stream from, which will cost about as much (possibly a bit less) and be more in tune with what people keep trying to suggest for using Plex. It then gives the option of moving the HTPC (now a server) someplace other than "in the TV table hidden away from view."

Am I correct in assuming the next step from there is ditching the PC entirely in favor of a Synology or something that runs Plex, since that'll save further electric costs? For reference, the HTPC is a Pentium G3258, which looks to run at 40-50 watts, a bit less than an old incandescent bulb. Adding the external drive, that's another 10 or so max, so we're up to a full lightbulb. The graphics card looks to pull 19 on top of that, so we're at 80 now, roundabout.

In quickly googling, a Synology would use more like 30.

So power consumption would drop by a bit more than half if I went with a Synology, which is nice, but what other benefits are there to using it? I don't mean to be obtuse here; I have everything setup on the HTPC to use NZB360 for remote access and Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr for anything I need, and Kodi hasn't given me any trouble beyond sometimes loving up with the databases it accesses for information, so it's pretty hands-off unless it reboots (at which point I just kinda open firefox up and it works just fine). I've been running a Plex server from it as well just to futz around, and that's nice, but I just don't really see the draw at this point beyond power consumption. Is the whole issue that setting it up in the first place is such a chore, or is it more about people tending to have multiple TVs and wanting remote access and such?

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got a Synology drive (4 bay) so I could do a RAID setup. That way when one of the hard drive dies, I just replace it, and through what is scientifically agreed to be magic, I don't lose any data. Which is great, because I ripped my entire DVD collection to ISO on there, and I wouldn't want to redo that project.