Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Biden could withdraw and his delegates could be reallocated based on the votes that have already occurred. Half the country hasn't even voted yet!

There are mechanisms for these sorts of things, and there are a whole lot of people who have both the power and authority to pressure Biden to go along with it. They're choosing not to, and you're covering for them by pretending that their hands are tied. Why are you doing that?

Explain the mechanisms in place for these sorts of things. We are not even going to have any meaningful primaries due to the pandemic so you are basically left with the DNC picking a replacement directly, or indirectly by having Biden make them his VP and then drop out.

None of this is answering the question of how do the Democrats win in November? They are not winning with Biden, but they are definitely not winning after some undemocratic process has the DNC pick the nominee.

My premise is they are going to lose either way, and no one really has a plan of how they win after dumping Biden. If Biden stepped down in the next 24 hours (which he should have done ages ago), how do you pick a nominee and avoid the same electoral wipeout they are headed for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

lol you don't even need to be as generous as "this year". How about "yesterday":
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1255941475990417408
Yeah that's the exact same thing he said the last time he was asked about it

I would say it's the dementia but as we have seen, he was like this 10+ years ago when Obama had to deal with Mitch's poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

How is it not accelerationism when this exact argument was made about Hillary and the left is even further from power than before?

I strongly disagree with your assessment that the left is further from power than before. Bernie had a better shot of winning this primary than he did against Hillary, and after Nevada was in such a good position that Obama had to call in several favors to get the clown car to collapse quickly and all back Biden so they could prevent a Bernie Super Tuesday win that would have catapulted him to obvious frontrunner status.

There's plenty of work to be done still but I don't think we're worse off than before at all.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

TyrantWD posted:

How is it not accelerationism when this exact argument was made about Hillary and the left is even further from power than before?

Wrong. The word you're looking for is wrong. Wrong is the word I would use to describe someone who thought a scenario would happen after it becomes apparent that the scenario is clearly not happening.

Also I was led to believe that the results of the VA elections were a triumph of lefties and moderates (and some goons!) working together, so I believe your premises might actually be accelerationism wrong.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

TyrantWD posted:

Leftist ideas are measurably more popular now than they were before Hillary lost. And like most final bosses the Dem party has two forms you have to defeat. The first one is monstrous but still recognizably humanoid, a coughing rictus creature that attacks by flinging its shoe. After taking enough damage on 11/9 it morphs into a true horror of thousands of groping hands, legs covered in wet hairs that turn blonde in the sun, and a galactic black hole in its head that obliterates the thoughts of others after consuming its own

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

WampaLord posted:

I strongly disagree with your assessment that the left is further from power than before. Bernie had a better shot of winning this primary than he did against Hillary, and after Nevada was in such a good position that Obama had to call in several favors to get the clown car to collapse quickly and all back Biden so they could prevent a Bernie Super Tuesday win that would have catapulted him to obvious frontrunner status.

There's plenty of work to be done still but I don't think we're worse off than before at all.

Other than California, he didn't do much better overall. He lost states that he won in 2016. When more opponents dropped out, he didn't gain any ground, it all went in Biden's favor.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Jewel Repetition posted:

Leftist ideas are measurably more popular now than they were before Hillary lost. And like most final bosses the Dem party has two forms you have to defeat. The first one is monstrous but still recognizably humanoid, a coughing rictus creature that attacks by flinging its shoe. After taking enough damage on 11/9 it morphs into a true horror of thousands of groping hands, legs covered in wet hairs that turn blonde in the sun, and a galactic black hole in its head that obliterates the thoughts of others after consuming its own

The ideas are more popular but that doesn't seem have translated to more voters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xombie posted:

Other than California, he didn't do much better overall. He lost states that he won in 2016. When more opponents dropped out, he didn't gain any ground, it all went in Biden's favor.

Of course, because Biden got the big Super Tuesday win that catapulted him to frontrunner status, because of the favors mentioned in the post you quoted and hopefully read.

The turning point was ST. If Bernie won that as projected, he would have won the nomination. Instead, Obama called in favors and collapsed the clown car so that Biden would get the win and the momentum.

Don't forget Warren staying in cost Bernie states like Texas! Funny how that worked.

Bernie still did better in this primary than in 2016. 2016 was a coronation from the beginning, this one only became one after South Carolina.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Bernie doing even worse against a single establishment candidate than before isn’t what I’d call progress. Biden, unlike Hillary, didn’t even have much of a campaign operation, and spent like 150k in total on ST, while Bernie had a significant resource advantage this time around.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

TyrantWD posted:

Explain the mechanisms in place for these sorts of things. We are not even going to have any meaningful primaries due to the pandemic so you are basically left with the DNC picking a replacement directly, or indirectly by having Biden make them his VP and then drop out.

None of this is answering the question of how do the Democrats win in November? They are not winning with Biden, but they are definitely not winning after some undemocratic process has the DNC pick the nominee.

My premise is they are going to lose either way, and no one really has a plan of how they win after dumping Biden. If Biden stepped down in the next 24 hours (which he should have done ages ago), how do you pick a nominee and avoid the same electoral wipeout they are headed for?

I literally stated the mechanism. If Biden withdraws his delegates get reassigned based on the votes cast for the other candidates. In this scenario your top candidates are probably Klob and Bernie, followed by Butt and Warren. We then have the remaining dozens of states vote and potentially have a contested convention. And the primaries could be meaningful if the DNC dictated all-mail balloting for remaining primaries instead of hemming and hawing and trying to preserve their machine states from the threat of the poors voting.

And maybe you think this guarantees a Dem loss, but I would argue that running a known liar and rapist does the same. If your choices are lose with a rapist or with a candidate with a shred of dignity, then I don't see why you pick the rapist.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie doing even worse against a single establishment candidate than before isn’t what I’d call progress. Biden, unlike Hillary, didn’t even have much of a campaign operation, and spent like 150k in total on ST, while Bernie had a significant resource advantage this time around.

It wasn't a "single establishment candidate" it was the power of every establishment candidate endorsing him while Warren stayed in to sap votes that would have gone Bernie's way if she dropped when Pete/Amy dropped.

Bernie had to fight the entire field and the media and yet almost won. That's still impressive and I refuse to accept your idea that the left is worse off than before, it flies in the face of reality. We have polling showing more people want M4A than ever before.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eric ciaramella posted:

Joe biden is a rapist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zero effort posting? Is someone being a rapist not a strong argument against them to you? You are signaling that it's not okay to bring up, bluntly and honestly, that Joe Biden is a rapist. What the gently caress?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Of course, because Biden got the big Super Tuesday win that catapulted him to frontrunner status, because of the favors mentioned in the post you quoted and hopefully read.

The turning point was ST. If Bernie won that as projected, he would have won the nomination. Instead, Obama called in favors and collapsed the clown car so that Biden would get the win and the momentum.

Don't forget Warren staying in cost Bernie states like Texas! Funny how that worked.
All of the major candidates dropping out and endorsing Biden was completely unprecedented. Like even if you are looking at the previous worst-case scenarios for Bernie going into this year that is not even on the radar. There was no indication that any of them would drop before ST, let alone ALL of them minus Warren (who wasn't in the top pack anyway).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Biden could withdraw and his delegates could be reallocated based on the votes that have already occurred. Half the country hasn't even voted yet!

There are mechanisms for these sorts of things, and there are a whole lot of people who have both the power and authority to pressure Biden to go along with it. They're choosing not to, and you're covering for them by pretending that their hands are tied. Why are you doing that?

If Biden came out as a communist and proposed a 100% tax on wealth over 1 million dollars and free healthcare, you'd see all these hurdles vanish and he'd be replaced so fast lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fool of sound I have no personal fights with you but this is just like when eatma was mod

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

Joe biden is a rapist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seems hard to have any debate or discussion when simple statements of fact are cause for probation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of the major candidates dropping out and endorsing Biden was completely unprecedented. Like even if you are looking at the previous worst-case scenarios for Bernie going into this year that is not even on the radar. There was no indication that any of them would drop before ST, let alone ALL of them minus Warren (who wasn't in the top pack anyway).

and the Biden campaign had the shirts all ready to go too, weird!

also lmao Warren came in THIRD in her own state which she was obviously destined to lose, and not only is she not going to get rewarded for playing along, but she's gonna get a challenge from her right backed by the party in 2024 because the only group that has any say in anything, the donors, don't like her

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1256291992780374016?s=19

Joe Biden to 14 year old: Nice Tits!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

and the Biden campaign had the shirts all ready to go too, weird!
Clearly Obama saw what a lot of us were seeing right around ST, which was that with a large field, Bernie was going to come out with a large plurality of the votes. So he called up all of those people and told them to stand down. What I'm wondering is if Pete and Amy were even offered anything, like cabinet positions or whatever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joe Biden is a repeat sexual abuser.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

If Biden came out as a communist and proposed a 100% tax on wealth over 1 million dollars and free healthcare, you'd see all these hurdles vanish and he'd be replaced so fast lol

lol yep!

the party can literally do whatever it wants, and has a base that's willing to run smear campaigns against a rape victim to defend a candidate despite years of #MeToo branding being the core of the party. They could install Cuomo now and just tell everybody he's their guy now and they'd go along with it

The reason they aren't is because they're fine with losing, and since the masks are dropped now it's gotta be Biden because to pull him now would mean they gave up all that moral high ground for nothing. I've seen nothing to indicate they have any real problem with losing, they're more concerned about maintaining the aesthetics of the party as a brunch club for affluent professionals and the donor class

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly Obama saw what a lot of us were seeing right around ST, which was that with a large field, Bernie was going to come out with a large plurality of the votes. So he called up all of those people and told them to stand down. What I'm wondering is if Pete and Amy were even offered anything, like cabinet positions or whatever.

IDK about Amy but I fully expect Pete to be a rising star in the Democratic party. He's young and clean cut and has a good story which lets him smile and nod and get people to vote for him while he backs horrible regressive policies that cater only to the 1% and their allies.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pete and Amy were absolutely offered plenty, Warren I'd bet good money was offered absolutely nothing.

Warren is boxed out now, a total non-factor. Biden is holding events with the Klobb hinting at her being VP and is public with saying how happy he is that he'll be able to fill his admin with Pete and people like him

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There will be more, and there will be worse. Not shitposting.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

WampaLord posted:

Bernie still did better in this primary than in 2016. 2016 was a coronation from the beginning, this one only became one after South Carolina.

When was Bernie projected to win Super Tuesday? I distinctly remember him having an outside shot of it after winning Nevada but that entirely going away after Biden won South Carolina. If all the centrists dropping out catapulted Biden, then them waiting until after Super Tuesday wasn't going to give their votes to Bernie either. If frontrunner status didn't help him in SC or Super Tuesday, how would it have garnered him votes later on? The hope was that once Bernie looked viable, his opponents' voters would come into the fold. Super Tuesday showed that they didn't, they went for Biden.

An extended clown car would have, at best, made it a horse race that Biden still would have eventually won. But the thing is, 2016 wasn't a clown car. It wasn't even much of a horse race. This one was *even less of a horse race, and Bernie lost states he won last time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1256028328018030593

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Try telling people that quote by [Adam] Smith about workers needing to band together to defend their class interests as the only way to defeat capitalist exploitation and they'll call you a liar.

Actually most people would say, “whose Adam Smith? Is that the guy from step brothers? I love ant man” and then they’d start talking about how Covid is a thanos-like plot to reduce the population

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Pete and Amy were absolutely offered plenty, Warren I'd bet good money was offered absolutely nothing.

Warren is boxed out now, a total non-factor. Biden is holding events with the Klobb hinting at her being VP and is public with saying how happy he is that he'll be able to fill his admin with Pete and people like him
Warren totally botched everything. She pissed off the centrists/libs by not backing Biden sooner, and she pissed off the left by not dropping out and backing Bernie when he needed the help.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Incidentally Obama's involvement is part of the reason they may be institutionally ride-or-die for Joe, because while it's not the same as an early endorsement, imagine the behind-the-scenes consequences of Obama engaging in a combination of arm-twisting and inducements to get ambitious politicians to drop out just to have his pick immediately poo poo the bed and be forced to withdraw from the field, leaving the party and many of its leading figures with destroyed credibility, a restive (at best) base, no possibility of (small d)emocratic legitimacy

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

She's the niece of a Republican so expect the Libs to respond to this about as well as they're responding to Russian Psy-Operative Tara Reade.

No victim will be pure enough for them.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I saw one in the twitter comments earlier this morning arguing that "well endowed" could mean that she's just tall for her age.

Olympic-level Mental Gymnastics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LGD posted:

Incidentally Obama's involvement is part of the reason they may be institutionally ride-or-die for Joe, because while it's not the same as an early endorsement, imagine the behind-the-scenes consequences of Obama engaging in a combination of arm-twisting and inducements to get ambitious politicians to drop out just to have his pick immediately poo poo the bed and be forced to withdraw from the field, leaving the party and many of its leading figures with destroyed credibility, a restive (at best) base, no possibility of (small d)emocratic legitimacy
Let's be honest here, if tomorrow the DNC said 'in light of the allegations against Biden, we are removing him and nominating Pete' the same people who support Biden will get in line behind Pete. He's an empty suit who has no real fans, he is just considered more 'electable' because of the Obama connection

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WampaLord posted:

It wasn't a "single establishment candidate" it was the power of every establishment candidate endorsing him while Warren stayed in to sap votes that would have gone Bernie's way if she dropped when Pete/Amy dropped.

Bernie had to fight the entire field and the media and yet almost won. That's still impressive and I refuse to accept your idea that the left is worse off than before, it flies in the face of reality. We have polling showing more people want M4A than ever before.

It’s always going to be the entire establishment backing one candidate against some outsider who is challenging them. The only difference was Biden’s brain mush made some of the also-rans stick around long past their due dates, and it could have just as easily ended up being Pete or Bloomberg that people coalesced behind.

And the left is worse off than before. People are going to be far more content with simply clawing back some of what was lost under Trump than pushing to make progress beyond the Obama status-quo. For example It’s going to be far easier to get people to settle for protecting people with pre-existing conditions than pushing for M4A.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jesus loving Christ

Have fun defending poo poo like this, Biden defenders.

TyrantWD posted:

And the left is worse off than before.

Nope, they aren't, no matter how many times you basely assert that they are.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Shere posted:

I saw one in the twitter comments earlier this morning arguing that "well endowed" could mean that she's just tall for her age.

Hey all you have to do is completely redefine a term that has had a clear meaning for decades. The average lib does that three times a day before breakfast.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FlamingLiberal posted:

Let's be honest here, if tomorrow the DNC said 'in light of the allegations against Biden, we are removing him and nominating Pete' the same people who support Biden will get in line behind Pete. He's an empty suit who has no real fans, he is just considered more 'electable' because of the Obama connection

This but it would be Klob because she's less divisive than the idea of Pete and slightly less likely to cause a revolt from the black caucus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Xombie posted:

This but it would be Klob because she's less divisive than the idea of Pete and slightly less likely to cause a revolt from the black caucus.
She would still be way better than Biden

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shere posted:

And the staring at her tits?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don't buy for a second that the DNC swapping out the nominee would tank their chances in November and lower than what they're already facing with Biden. Plug in Cuomo or Pete or any empty suit liberal and the machine will immediately retool to back them. Just look at how quickly the KHive jumped from candidate to candidate until they found Biden despite supposedly having been all in for Harris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Imagine you’re at a fancy political dinner, President Bush is going to sing later that night (a big surprise) and this happens:

quote:

When it was Biden and my aunt’s turn to say hello he quickly turned to me and asked how old I was. I replied with my age and he replied with the comment ‘Fourteen? You’re very well endowed for 14!’ I was confused but it was definitely weird, he looked me up and down and hovered his eyes on my chest so I had some clue [about] the notion of his comment but didn’t fully understand at the time. We quickly separated from his area after the encounter.

If you don’t think Biden has a history of sexually abusing women and girls, then you’re going to probably keep your head in the sand on this forever.