Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does the clone duplicate his gear as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I got an achiefvenetmt All Hands On Deck for having 8 agents. But like it says 26% of players completed this? I'm not halfway through the game and that seems really time-gated. Just seems weird compared to more people completing other achievos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just finished up the Grey Phoenix investigation. Turned out better than expected, in that while they stopped them, no one's really happy about the outcome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

I got an achiefvenetmt All Hands On Deck for having 8 agents. But like it says 26% of players completed this? I'm not halfway through the game and that seems really time-gated. Just seems weird compared to more people completing other achievos.

Looking at it just now, it's up to 35.4%, second to the one you get for completing the tutorial which is 91.9%. The roughtly means that ~8.1% of owners haven't even cracked open the game and ~56.3% have played, but haven't reached the rough halfway point. Do note that the game is fairly new too. It's only one week old.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

Looking at it just now, it's up to 35.4%, second to the one you get for completing the tutorial which is 91.9%. The roughtly means that ~8.1% of owners haven't even cracked open the game and ~56.3% have played, but haven't reached the rough halfway point. Do note that the game is fairly new too. It's only one week old.

Doesn't everyone play 20 hours in the first weekend? :confused:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Doesn't everyone play 20 hours in the first weekend? :confused:

I only have 14 hours in over a few sessions, mostly because of bugs and I'd wager a good chunk of people aren't playing for the same reason.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm nervously looking at my ridiculous hours played right now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

TheParadigm posted:

Does the clone duplicate his gear as well?

The clone only exists for one turn and can use both his psi abilities once.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

The clone only exists for one turn and can use both his psi abilities once.

What? I'm sure that clone exists for the whole encounter.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I never got to use it more than once and I tried it quite a few times.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Chimera squad is fun and I really love the breach mechanic, but I miss the progression and vulnerability of your dudes in 1 and 2.

I have been out of the modding scene - is there a mod of choice for 2 WOTC? Or is there anything that makes XCOM 1 better than or with some of the improvements of 2?

The wonder of doing autopsies and slowly teching up your dudes in 1 can't be met with 2 or chimera :(.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BlazetheInferno posted:

I don't get all the references, but you did good.

Oh not everything was a reference i’m just having a blast making silly soldiers with lots of modded armours and hair etc.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So my final Sacred Coil mission went a little oddly.

Encounter one, all my guys get Overwatch after breach, Gatekeeper pops out, immediately gets killed to Overwatch because half my team has AP rounds. I clear the Encounter.

Encounter transition, Whisper keeps talking about the Gatekeeper, reading a lot into its 2 seconds of life. Next room has the Sacred Coil boss, but I just happened to have Patchwork with infiltrator weave and an AR with Banish (fire on target until it's dead or you're out of ammo, and I run superior exmag) pop out of a vent at the top of the turn order near the boss so she just steps around a corner and blows him away before he can go ham on my guys with all his turns. (Literally the only encounter in the entire game with two Vents on breach, so also the first time me keeping infiltrator weave on Patchwork wasn't a dumb affectation on my part).

Rest of encounter is also trivial to clear as I use Torque's bonus tongue action and Terminal's teamwork to make Patches do a lap around the map to chainstun everyone.

Whisper STILL talking about the Gatekeeper.

Next room. Kill the Gatekeeper to shut down the gates! But there is no Gatekeeper. So I just clown on a couple waves of reinforcements with Patches and Co until the game decides that I win. But at least Godmother's scattershot saw some work for once. :confuoot:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 1, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god I'd been saving progeny for last

help I'm dying

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just started, it's fun but I clearly really don't know what I'm doing yet.

I selected a mission that had a small reward and the result was chaos went up a bunch of places and the purple story missions vanished from the map?

:confuoot:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

sean10mm posted:

Just started, it's fun but I clearly really don't know what I'm doing yet.

I selected a mission that had a small reward and the result was chaos went up a bunch of places and the purple story missions vanished from the map?

:confuoot:

The unrest will go up on every map that has an indicator of the arrows rising, usually in areas where you couldn't do the mission. Purple missions will go away if not taken immediately except for the main investigations, you usually get a few days after it unlocks (until it hits red unrest) if you ignore it and then you have to do it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
*Never* do purple story-rush missions. Anything that speeds up the game clock is a trap, as you get less time to research stuff and less weekly income. The tools to lower unrest & anarchy are more than capable of floating you forever if they allowed for it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Serephina posted:

*Never* do purple story-rush missions. Anything that speeds up the game clock is a trap, as you get less time to research stuff and less weekly income. The tools to lower unrest & anarchy are more than capable of floating you forever if they allowed for it.

Eh, there comes a point in late game when there isn't really anything left to get.

I'm partway through the third investigation and have anything I need from the shop bought, level 3 field teams on every node, enough intel to cover anything that shows up in the scav market, everything researched, and my A team is capped out. There's not really much missions can give me at this point.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hooray we are heroes. But especially Blueblood. I am mad that Zephyr dropped off so hard so I had to leave her home.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are mindshields worth building in this game? I don't know if I'd want to waste a precious utility slot on one if I don't know who I'm encountering. I guess Terminal could afford one though as a just in case.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They can give you rare gear that normally needs the last campaign to be completed before researching. But yes, at that point do whatever. I made the mistake of rushing the first investigation and all it did was give me that lovely Sacred Coil deathtrap faster than necessary. Anyone asking for advice needs to be warned away from it.

Yes, balance is all over the place. It's a shame, but also for fifteen bucks I'm happy with it. Gears Tactics just dropped for... a hundred and fifteen bucks local currency. It'd have to be amazing to be worth it, relatively.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
One thing I definitely don't agree with is the idea the Zephyr falls off late game. Guaranteed damage and Parry never stops being useful, and Reaper really makes her shine.

For most of the end game my winning combo was just having Blueblood faceoff the room and then Zephyr would Reaper everything left. An important trick for efficient Reapering is realizing that Crowd Control triggers it. So you might have an enemy too high health to punch out for Reaper procs near a dude with 1-2 HP, crowd control both of them to finish off the 1-2 hp guy while also softening the high HP target, Reaper procs, punch out the guy you just softened up. Reaper procs again, go punch someone else.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Long War of the Chosen Trip Report: It's good.

I hesitate to call it "stable", but it's a lot of fun. I haven't encountered many WotC exclusive aspects other than starting with a reaper and having a resistance ring, but I like the pace and scale. You start with the ability to deploy up to 8 dudes on a mission, but you won't use it often on infiltration missions since lower squad size = higher infiltration rate and higher infil at mission start means fewer enemies. I like that if you're patient on infil most missions will be fairly easy. I've still lost 4 dudes already, to stupid choices, calculated risks, and X-Com bullshit, but it feels right for the early game. You don't appear to start with any way of stabilizing guys who start bleeding out other than evac, which I haven't pulled off yet.

As for stability, I haven't had any straight up game effecting bugs or crashes, but there have been animation glitches. Also, while the avenger, tactical missions, and menus run at a relatively smooth 50 - 80 FPS on my rig, the geoscape rarely gets above 10 FPS, which while annoying hasn't been a mechanical hindrance.

I could go on and on about what I like and dislike so far (mostly like) but at this point I'm basically just be reviewing Long War 2, not this mod.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

I never got to use it more than once and I tried it quite a few times.

I have been using Shelter since the start and his ultimate lasts until it is killed. You probably have some kind of bug. I have literally farmed reinforcement waves for ~6 extra rounds and just had it blasting guys the whole time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The way the game tracks additional AP on your side really obviously is dodgy and not fully functioning with the interleave turns thing so I wouldn't be surprised if reinforcements like that don't either. For example, sometimes breaching can get a unit an AP. Sometimes it will do that by adding 1 ap to that unit. Sometimes it will do it by adding 1 ap as a turn to that unit, then give them their full turn, for some reason. Other times it'll do that but instead give you that AP at a random point in time. Which will it be? Who knows! The game also gets pretty confused about what to do or how to track it if you use Cooperation, then Team Up, then any other way of getting free AP. You'll get the AP, but you're never going to be 100% sure how.

The game is a really cool experiment but also really obviously that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh hey, fun fact I just found:
If you give actions to a team mate on your turn they don't have to use them immediately. You can use tab to swap back to the person who gave the action if you want them to finish their turn first. Works with shelter's ghost too.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Lost my Impossible/hardcore campaign on the last mission (which was the end of the Gray Phoenix arc).

There isn't a RIP big enough for this.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

why does chimera's non-combat UI actively hate me for using a controller? why are the colors so weird and bad? how did they gently caress it up like this after two solid games with expansions??

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Someone released a mod to fix most missing item bugs.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2080261187

Edit: Also an agent respec mod!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2080129129

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, I definitely got my money's worth at about 30 hours, for good and for ill, but I'm definitely a lot cooler on Chimera Squad than everyone else in here. I probably would have ultimately had a better time on Normal, but I started on Expert after seeing people say the game was too easy. This meant there were a lot of enemies walking around with one or two health pips left, but oh well. I'll start with the positives.

Pros
-Breach mechanics were mostly cool, wouldn't mind seeing them refined in a mainline game
-Getting to use the various aliens was fun, also hope that's carried forward in some way. Maybe not as individual classes but more as racial bonuses
-Ability design was on point again. Haven't played WOTC yet so I dunno how much is taken from there, but all the character gimmicks were cool
-A surprisingly large enemy roster, with fewer reused foes from XCOM2 than expected

Cons
-Unforgivably buggy. I can put up with a lot of jank, but some of it was game-ruining to me
-Game really dragged as it went on, having to run a lot of samey levels just to get to the next story missions (which weren't much better) became a real chore. One of the rare games I've played where I preferred the midgame to the start or the end
-Didn't much care for the meta-layer
-The story was dull as dishwater and there was more of a focus on it than previous games
-An inoffensively quirky cast and bland vignettes meant I felt no attachment to my soldiers at all. VA was also decidedly mixed
-Not a lot of mobility needed. The tiny maps meant I was usually better served just hunkering down and using all my various free and non-turn-ending actions to alpha strike the enemy. Maybe not a negative, but I do prefer the other games' flow
-I thought a lot of the missions had an over reliance on enemy reinforcements

I also have mixed feelings on interleaved turns. It was a nice change of pace but not something I'd like to see in XCOM3 I guess. All told, I enjoyed most of my time with Chimera Squad but I also couldn't wait for it to be done.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Interleaved turns or not, I think the biggest thing they need to keep an eye on in any future X-Coms is the action economy. The difficulty curve of every game shatters once you figure out how to take more than the basic number of allotted actions.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think some of the "missing item" stuff might be because the game hides all version of an item if you have one equipped.For example it will hide all laser sights you have if you have a regular one equipped and want to get a better one on. It sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why did Terminal panic when I poison spat a Progeny acolyte to death and am I about to find out something unfortunate when you tell me the answer

e: Why did Terminal panicking spread panic to Godmother on her next turn oh no

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Interleaved turns or not, I think the biggest thing they need to keep an eye on in any future X-Coms is the action economy. The difficulty curve of every game shatters once you figure out how to take more than the basic number of allotted actions.

In some ways I think XCOP handles action economy better than XCOM 2 did, in that most of the economy breaking skills in XCOM 2 are back-loaded. So you get minor +1 damage +5% aim bonuses until you hit Major/Colonel and get big double/triple damage skills like Rapid Fire/Salvo/Serial, which have the added effect of doubling/tripling all previous bonuses. On top of that the incredibly powerful squad size increases are also gated by soldier level.

In XCOP a lot of characters either start with their +action skills or get them early or mid-way into the tree, on top of certain universal +action abilities (grenades) being available from the start. And your squad starts at max size.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Finished Chimera Squad! Actually a very satisfying game. The final missions (and Progeny as my third investigation) were much easier than the first two investigations, I easily held back on single-use abilities and saved them until the end instead of being stressed to use them immediately.

My notes:
-Breach and clear is a fantastic addition. The pod mechanics in XCOM 1 and 2 were too alpha-strike oriented, where a squad advance with overlapping fields of fire mostly trivialized triggering a pod, and you could usually kill it before it took any shots if you didn't screw up. And likewise, enemies were so deadly and abilities so offense-oriented that you really had to just go all-in on killing everything and being careful not to rush and pop multiple pods simultaneously. Breach skips past the half-moves and Overwatch traps and make the firefight "fair"; you get the first shots, enemies get a fair reaction, combat begins where most everyone is in range, and then damage and accuracy can be moved to the middle where you can't guarantee safety, but you also won't get wiped out with anything less than a shutout.
-The equipment upgrades treadmill being focused on buffs and debuffs and "ribbon benefits" was a lot of fun. I liked picking between Dragon Rounds and AP Rounds and Acid Rounds and Venom Rounds, the armor special abilities, and the various grenades with special abilities and area denial over focusing on just making guns and armor with higher damage numbers.
-Teamwork-based abilities are great with the interleaved turns. With more specialized roles for the agents, it made a bigger difference who was doing what, and trading one person's action for another's was cool.
-The bugs were a bummer. My game hard crashed half a dozen times and I had to repeat encounters. A few times, the UI bugged out or AOE previews weren't accurate. I didn't hit the inventory bugs, but those are completely unacceptable.
-The difficulty was all over the place. Every mission besides the final ones for Grey Phoenix and Sacred Coil was fun, but those two were way unbalanced.
-Reinforcements and evacuation missions need some work. Reinforcements arriving and acting before half your team is horrible, especially when they're triggered by clearing the board. You should never have to stunlock enemies instead of killing them to farm actions. Missions where you need to evacuate a VIP need to show you the evac point, and need to have the evac portion on the objective list from the start. Missions where you have to get out yourself instead of completely clearing also need that listed ahead of time.
-The action economy for this was pretty spot-on, IMO. Yeah, when you can break the action economy, you get a lot of power, but you're also vastly outnumbered and outgunned on almost every mission. The difficulty curve of missions goes up over time, and getting better at using your two actions per turn (plus very limited free actions) is the only way to keep up.
-The con of the action economy is that having everybody get to use both actions for active abilities instead of movement makes the battlefield very static. Injecting more movement into the game is essential.

I hope XCOM 3 incorporates the Breach mechanic in a lot of fights. In Terror missions, you probably won't be doing Breaching, but Overwatch advances to take down guards on UFO missions or Council missions, followed by Breaches into "boss rooms" would be fantastic.

I also liked the very disparate abilities of the various agents. They play differently from each other on every single turn, instead of just 30% of the time when their specialty talents come into play. Balance-wise, I hope they keep things this fresh instead of the old formula.

(also, I'm glad I waited on buying the XCOM 2 sale package, since it just got bundled today for "free"!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please stop giving Zephyr and Terminal the brain scramblies sectoids

I got Godmother the rapid fire shotgun now and I have three things of AP rounds so I think I win the game? I also got a shock grenade which seems like a mega-flashbang in this, though it's a 1-2 round stun instead of disorient

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

Even if you do the optional purple story reveal missions you still get a handful of days to gently caress around while the revealed story mission waits for you to actually run it before the game forces you to. I did nearly every purple reveal mission and still had over a week in my last investigation where I'd researched everything, did every Spec Op at least once for the cheevo, and was just killing time to see how much intel I could farm, swapping out Tech and Finance field teams for Security, to see if I could get anything nice from the Scavengers.

If you skip them all you're doing is missing out on unique missions in a game that's already relatively light on content.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

This kind of percentage is pretty common in games, especially ones that go on sale (which technically Chimera Squad is although it's never not been on sale, there is still a psychological effect of seeing "50% off" that makes people more likely to impulse buy). One of the reason so many games have those "started the game" achievements is because it's a good way for devs to get analytics to see how many people who bought the game have actually played it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serephina posted:

Nah. Dragging out the game that long isn't actually fun.

And more importantly lmao get a load of this galaxy brain advocating for NOT rescuing Floyd Tesseract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Please stop giving Zephyr and Terminal the brain scramblies sectoids

I got Godmother the rapid fire shotgun now and I have three things of AP rounds so I think I win the game? I also got a shock grenade which seems like a mega-flashbang in this, though it's a 1-2 round stun instead of disorient

Stun vs. Disorient is pretty much a situational thing, also because Stun may only just stop one action leaving the enemy free to use their second action to do whatever it is they were gonna do. It's strictly better than a Ceasefire Grenade, but those are basically the most basic tool for delaying enemies. AP rounds are generally good though.

I just got some Acid ammo and an Acid grenade which are probably gonna get permanent slots on my team. Also, I've basically permanently benched Cherub since being able to delete enemies faster/better is worth more than preventing bad things from enemies by the mid to late game.