Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Brave New World posted:

You can grow hops, brew beer with it, and actually get drunk as poo poo. You can then stumble around Bree, find a live musical performance by a band of actual players, and then proceed to make an rear end out of yourself in front of 100 people. What the hell are you waiting for?

Do they play freebird??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Derpies posted:

Do they play freebird??

All too often.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The unofficial Bree soundtrack features about as many classic rock covers as you'd expect from the demographic for this game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I was in the crafting hall in Bree a week or two ago and three hobbits in a kin called "The Barefoot Boys" played Eye of the Tiger with two fiddles and a cowbell while standing on a tabletop surrounded by a handful of dancing and clapping elf girls.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Has world chat stopped being Nazi apologism yet or is that just a pipe weed dream.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Derpies posted:

Has world chat stopped being Nazi apologism yet or is that just a pipe weed dream.

There really is something about Tolkien that attracts right wing fanaticism.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

dreffen posted:

There really is something about Tolkien that attracts right wing fanaticism.

I mean, it's not really that hard to figure out why...disdain of technology, reverence for mythical traditional village life, the sense that the best days were in the past, female characters existing only to be married, obsession with bloodlines and racial purity, reverence for monarchies and Great Men, distrust of the ravening barbarian foreign hordes... To be clear that's definitely not all that's going on in Tolkien, and SSG (or really MadeOfLions and the other quest writers) have worked very hard, especially in the the post-Mordor stuff, to question and complicate this, but it's not exactly a huge stretch from the source material.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 29, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When you're an Englishman who went through a World War you're going to have a somewhat harsh view on hostile countries far to your south and east that might seep in to your writing just a bit.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

I mean, it's not really that hard to figure out why...disdain of technology, reverence for mythical traditional village life, the sense that the best days were in the past, female characters existing only to be married, obsession with bloodlines and racial purity, reverence for monarchies and Great Men, distrust of the ravening barbarian foreign hordes... To be clear that's definitely not all that's going on in Tolkien, and SSG (or really MadeOfLions and the other quest writers) have worked very hard, especially in the the post-Mordor stuff, to question and complicate this, but it's not exactly a huge stretch from the source material.

It's always fun to tell them to go read Tolkien's letters where he explains exactly what he thinks about Hitler and racism in general.

Also, racists are also immensely dumb and will never engage with anything beyond a surface level.

It's pretty much

except the robot is a Númenórean or something

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Judging LotR by Tolkien's letters to the Nazis is similarly "surface level" analysis. There's a lot to be critical of in the actual book like how he sorts people into racial groups (Stoors/Fallowhides/Harfoots, Silvan/Sindarin/Noldorin etc) and how often these correspond to a measure of value in a society (proper Numenoreans can be Great or Terrible), that racists will find appealing/comforting to their worldview.

Completely disagree that Eowyn "only exists to be married". She's as caught up in the "noble destiny" faux-crisis as anyone, and being of the royal line of succession keeps her caged as much (or imo more) than her being a woman.

That said there are nazi apologists in pretty much every mmo world chat. It's not unique to LOTRO.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Judging LotR by Tolkien's letters to the Nazis is similarly "surface level" analysis.

Yes, but judging his opposition to Hitler and racism by the letters in which he literally says "I hate Hitler and racism" isn't surface-level, IMO. It doesn't make LotR entirely unproblematic, but at least it's something to throw in the face of the idiots who proclaim Tolkien was an out-and-proud advocate of the supremacy of the white race.

sassassin posted:

proper Numenoreans can be Great or Terrible

I prefer the take that Númenóreans as a society were so obsessed with huffing their own farts it literally broke the world.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Derpies posted:

Are you on Landroval? I haven't really seen that sort of thing on "our" server, but a few folks have mentioned some other servers get more dirtbags in world chat. There's been a couple obvious trolls and one tiresome pedant who I put on ignore, but otherwise it's not that bad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hello Sailor posted:

Are you on Landroval? I haven't really seen that sort of thing on "our" server, but a few folks have mentioned some other servers get more dirtbags in world chat. There's been a couple obvious trolls and one tiresome pedant who I put on ignore, but otherwise it's not that bad.

Yeah this seems to be the case for Landroval, which is honestly pretty refreshing coming from other MMOs and online games in general.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comrade Koba posted:

but at least it's something to throw in the face of the idiots who proclaim Tolkien was an out-and-proud advocate of the supremacy of the white race.

And then they throw back how he talked about the gold-obsessed dwarfs being modelled on Jewish people and the whole discussion gets very unseemly. Better to focus on the text(s) alone than try to claim the mind of the author for one camp or another and worry about what he might have said if he were "out and proud" enough.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Yeah this seems to be the case for Landroval, which is honestly pretty refreshing coming from other MMOs and online games in general.

It's the big secret of RP servers. The vast majority of toxic troll types avoid RP servers because there's a perception that they're "gay" and less hardcore.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I disabled world chat a long time ago and it made playing the game so much nicer and relaxing.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

And then they throw back how he talked about the gold-obsessed dwarfs being modelled on Jewish people and the whole discussion gets very unseemly.

Dwarf-Lord Sórós and the Annúminati faction confirmed for next expansion. :tinfoil:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How awkward are dwarves and hobbits on a war steed? I retired my dwarf guardian after Moria but now that my solo warden is catching up to him and my completionist loremaster (both in their 60s at mirkwood start) my disturbed brain is tempted to break out the old Baruk Khazâd! again. Being as there's plenty more dwarf content once I get to the other side of Mordor and maybe coming next year with Mount Gundabad.

And in case you missed it there's a sale on races and char slots and storage this week.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bagrada posted:

And in case you missed it there's a sale on races and char slots and storage this week.

Picked up High Elves and Stoutaxes at 250 LotrO-bucks each, now I just need to decide what alt(s) to play.

How are Captains for soloing these days?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Dwarves and hobbits are just as awkward on a warsteed as the other races. And melee classes are more annoying to use in mounted combat than ranged ones. So glad they stopped with warbands after 105.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Comrade Koba posted:

Picked up High Elves and Stoutaxes at 250 LotrO-bucks each, now I just need to decide what alt(s) to play.

How are Captains for soloing these days?

Probably in the best shape they have ever been in for it.

Damage output is good enough for you to be able to cruise through most content while also keeping yourself and your herald with heals.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Hello Sailor posted:

hotcarlvlanoc ready to reengage then!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

How many active goons play together on Landroval? Is there a goon kinship on this server? I've been in this game since the very start but I've got like ten years of content still to complete and I'm looking at all of this and my extremely empty kinship and thinking how grand it'd be to knock back all this old junk with people so I can catch up and actually see some of the cool new-to-me places I haven't yet. Figured I'd check in here before I sacrifice my stress levels to pubbing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

To be honest, I rarely see anyone on when I play and the times I do, we don't talk. I've been told we have a well-stocked fellowship house, but I'm not actually sure where it is in the housing district. I mainly like our kin for the name.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, there's usually 2 or 3 people online at peak hours but we're all antisocial. The kinship mansion is pretty great though, it's in Belfalas (the really nice premium-only oceanside Gondor housing resort) and thanks to a goon with a lifetime sub is paid up until 2050 or so and has all the crafting gear needed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hello Sailor posted:

To be honest, I rarely see anyone on when I play and the times I do, we don't talk. I've been told we have a well-stocked fellowship house, but I'm not actually sure where it is in the housing district. I mainly like our kin for the name.

If you're in a fellowship don't you automatically get a skill that lets you warp to the house?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're in a fellowship don't you automatically get a skill that lets you warp to the house?

A kinship, but yes, you have a "return to kinship house" ability that I believe has a 1hr cooldown default.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Evil Fluffy posted:

It just puts me on a boat dock in the housing district. I'm not actually sure how to get to the house from there.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

It just puts me on a boat dock in the housing district. I'm not actually sure how to get to the house from there.

That is the house. It’s the only one on the island.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Couple question about LIs.

When I go to deconn a legandary item to get one of the legacies off of it, does it matter if that I level the legacy up first, or can I just deconn without using any points at all.

Someone in chat was mentioning legacy items only go to level 100, so are they basically worthless after that because they get outdone by dropped/quested gear?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

MF_James posted:

Someone in chat was mentioning legacy items only go to level 100, so are they basically worthless after that because they get outdone by dropped/quested gear?

At that point, legendary items become "imbued" legendaries, which means that their stats and legacies go up over time, but the actual "item level" of it stays at level 100. It just means that past that point, you will not ever need to replace it, since the "cap" on the legacies and DPS moves up with the player level cap.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

flowinprose posted:

At that point, legendary items become "imbued" legendaries, which means that their stats and legacies go up over time, but the actual "item level" of it stays at level 100. It just means that past that point, you will not ever need to replace it, since the "cap" on the legacies and DPS moves up with the player level cap.

Ahhh so you basically build your perfect legendary weapons with the legendaries you got from deconning and your good to go.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

MF_James posted:

Ahhh so you basically build your perfect legendary weapons with the legendaries you got from deconning and your good to go.

Yep, thats the gist of it. You will still have to pour a lot of time/effort into maxing out the legacies, since they go much higher for imbued legendaries than the regular ones. And every time the level cap rises, the legacy caps should rise as well I think. I haven't been around since this last expansion so I'm not 100% sure they did.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Yes the LI meed to be upgraded with scrolls of empowerement and crystals when the level cap imcrease amd sometime when expansion come out even with mo level cap increase.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, there's usually 2 or 3 people online at peak hours but we're all antisocial. The kinship mansion is pretty great though, it's in Belfalas (the really nice premium-only oceanside Gondor housing resort) and thanks to a goon with a lifetime sub is paid up until 2050 or so and has all the crafting gear needed.

Big salute to the German? lifetime account goon who paid for like 85 percent of our island, but for the record we do still have to pay 5.5 gold a week rent on it which I am not complaining about but I have been paying the entire time, if anybody has over say 500 gold and wants to click the button on their character/housing tab once in a while I'd appreciate it, if not I got it covered

Definitely don't pay it if you're low on gold though, focus on vault storage space and your own houses and eventually legendary items

also

While I'm bumping the thread, the anniversary sale in the store ends so if you wanted 400 mithril coins for some reason Bombur's Bounty sale ends tonight at 3 AM EST probably

And anyone who hits level 130 but isn't a raid nerd yet, make sure you discover the deeds to the instances that are abbreviated to 'Roost' and 'Harrowing'. They're the main 3 man instances, and they can drop the best LI relics in the game even in the 1 man tier 1 version. We're talking an instant 15% buff to your DPS or your healing, scaled across every ability. If you get the box of relics you pick the teal one associated with your role. These were raid only last time around so it was a good move to help casuals.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 10, 2020

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I just topped the Kin's house upkeep. If you remind me in this thread I will top it again.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Last time I looked in (but didn't play) the legendary server was going to be hitting Moria shortly

What's the player volume like on there, or whichever (Landroval?) server is most goonish? I had characters on Brandywine and Landroval if memory recalls.

Additionally, how are the following performing at present / represented?

LM healers/support
Beorning healers
Captain healers

I remember LM and Captain having death-prevents (RK too, but was that self applicable or not?) as those are things that attract me, but not sure how viable it'd be to trait into those whilst also attempting to heal/support.

Also, looks like the trait planners are all offline. Anyone got a link to one that still works?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
- trait planners are all dead
- landroval population is good
- of the classes you listed, LMs are still popular for support, less so for healing, beornings are pretty popular for heals, and captains are supposedly the best endgame tank right now so they do that instead!

LM was changed so you don't have to trait into blue to get the eagle pet that will resurrect you, I think (I'd need to check, my LM is red line right now) (edit: I'm wrong, you still have to trait it, but it's only 6 points into blue so it's easy to fit into any spec)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2020

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Lum_ posted:

LM was changed so you don't have to trait into blue to get the eagle pet that will resurrect you, I think (I'd need to check, my LM is red line right now) (edit: I'm wrong, you still have to trait it, but it's only 6 points into blue so it's easy to fit into any spec)
Tbh it is really useful to spec a few points into blue in any case to get the induction reduction skill from the blue line. You can get the eagle on the way.

If you are mainly red, this mean that you max out TWO skill induction reduction skills :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8008486#post8008486

New 3 man instance unlocked by a cross-server puzzle quest, pretty fun. No idea what the instance will be like, the ending of the quest was in Moria off the map in the Foundations of Stone. You have to go to this place to unlock the deed if you want to run the instance when that opens up on the 20th, which is currently set to scale for everyone level 50-130

I left my bear there so post when you can be on if you want a rally horn, I'm in EST. If anyone has a captain they don't play much who wants to take over when I run out of rally horns that'd be nice.

Predictions on the instance: Probably not very difficult at T1, or at least not something that will compete with the raid. Maybe sub-raid loot, or sub-raid loot combined with a single gold (pocket?) item that is best in slot.