Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I do not understand dwarf fortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

like every few months I download it with all of the newb mods, hacksense and whatever, and it completely baffles the poo poo out of me. I end up wasting a couple hundred megabytes before I delete it, then I read about the lore and try playing it again.

my computer automatically knows to send me to the download page at the same time every month now somehow.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also matt admitting he doesn't game because he was never good at it, that never stopped felix :colbert:

if he starts streaming it he should try total war at some point. i know he doesn't want a super complicated strategy game but total war isn't that hard to pick up and it's fun to play and watch

THS
Sep 15, 2017

PawParole posted:

like every few months I download it with all of the newb mods, hacksense and whatever, and it completely baffles the poo poo out of me. I end up wasting a couple hundred megabytes before I delete it, then I read about the lore and try playing it again.

my computer automatically knows to send me to the download page at the same time every month now somehow.

you have to be an INTJ to understand it sorry

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

warcraft lore is bad and the orcs are just inferior to warhammer ones

the virgin thrall vs the chad ghazghkull thraka

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PawParole posted:

ill start streaming dwarf fortress and teaching you how to play but only if you answer a riddle every 5 minutes and if you guess incorrectly, a dwarf dies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PawParole posted:

you should get that book on it

it's probably out of date by now, but it's still a good resource

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Percelus posted:

warcraft lore is bad and the orcs are just inferior to warhammer ones

the virgin thrall vs the chad ghazghkull thraka

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the best chris metzen story is how frustrated he was because i guess he lacked basic computer literacy when he started out at blizzard that he hocked a loogey at his screen

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

warhammer orcs aren't exhausting i'm calling bullshit. warboys from fury road are what 40k orks are all about, they believe in reincarnation and salvation through warfare because of their religion and culture. the point is to get a high score by being badass at fighting and having the most glorious death imaginable

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Percelus posted:

the best chris metzen story is how frustrated he was because i guess he lacked basic computer literacy when he started out at blizzard that he hocked a loogey at his screen

he is the poster child for the "literally walked into a business and got a job" just by sitting at a computer and showing off his drawings to the manager

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

of course when you spend thousands on figurines it would be annoying that no one praised your upper class hobby

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i've never even spent a thousand on warhams nor have i been able to afford any models in like a decade, i still like warhammer though and if i had some cash to burn i could see myself dropping around 100 again on a starting box plus paint and modeling supplies

the amount of time it takes to really do a good job making your little plastic dudes look nice then playing with them you can get some good mileage for money spent

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fatal flaw with warhammer orcs is no orc chicks

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody should play warhammer is an insanely tedious brain dead simple war game where all the players suck rear end. Only reasons to think about it is to appreciate late 80s British sci-fi rip-off fun and painting miniatures.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Fatal flaw with warhammer orcs is no orc chicks

:wrong:

:nws::nws:

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

PawParole posted:

They just released a new alpha of the starter pack that has the game up to date with the current live version. Play it with the wiki open initially at ALL times. Im gunna probs do another c-spam fort now that the semester is over and I still use the wiki because it's impossible to remember everything.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
elder scrolls Orcs are basically just Klingons

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now we’re talking

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thats just stav in garona cosplay

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Didnt metzen do way too much coke and that's why he had to leave blizz for a while

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Dr. Killjoy posted:

elder scrolls Orcs are basically just Klingons

elder scroll orcs are literal poop elves

boethiah ate and poo poo out their god and they all touched the poo spirtually

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Didnt metzen do way too much coke and that's why he had to leave blizz for a while

he finally realized what a nightmare he helped create and left, yes

no joke one of his kids asked him why does a dragon have to wear a bikini and his brain cracked and pinged

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

chris metzen is so loving cool

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atrocious Joe posted:

chris metzen is so loving cool

dudes blackrock

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

those are just boob squigs

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best kind of orc is a pigman orc holding a simple wooden shield with shallow metal helmet

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i played a poo poo ton of wow to the point of eating an edible for the first time ever and writing about 3000 words in a lore thread about where the lore was going and how everything was connected and no one replied to it

few years later they put out a book with all my theories in it and never gave me any credit for my post

never saw the movie myself, but the writing in the game is a million times worse

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

that one nutjob anarchist who wrote giant medium posts about how chapo is Red-Brown Alliance or whatever found d&d lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921787&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

efb by like 3 pages owned me

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 19:40 on May 1, 2020

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

it's hosed up that they are directly being paid for their labor smdh

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bari weiss going after felix in typically moronic fashion lmao

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1256287605425045505

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm the journalist talking about Jews wealth in the same paragraph as calling someone else's word anti-Semitic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1256289460469276672

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

not surprising the notorious antisemites felix biederman and will menaker enthusiastically supported notorious antisemite bernie sanders

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Meltdown may centering mainly around Podcast Wars is going to be something to behold

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dwarf fortress is basically a process of breaking your brain into the shape of a weird nerd and as such I understood it immediately. Let go of your expectations and wants for things like good UI/UX or a mouse or your suffering will continue.

(also learn to play in ascii, it legitimately is the best way to learn)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Meltdown may centering mainly around Podcast Wars is going to be something to behold

I beg your forgiveness but Elon Musk is currently the frontrunner.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

all these jewish podcasters being called out for antisemitism this week is p funny

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I love in mainstream discourse only the minority of american jew's whom are conservative republicans (something like 10% nationwide?) receive all of the space to discuss jewish topics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this owns