Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

PSA: put oberst and metapod on ignore. There are people here who play V5 and like V5 without being loving apologists. Seriously, makes the thread much better.

EDIT: Anyone have a link to that werewolf video? I never added it to the OP.

The Earthblood trailer? Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uuGf_3k_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Oh that can go in the video game part, no I meant new book.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I do intend to read V5 and V5 Cam on my own at some future date. I'm starting "in the beginning" with Clan Tremere but they seem the most effected by V5 changes so I def need to read all about that on my own so I can be caught up with current events for Bloodlines 2.

Obviously execution is important but the Pyramid braking up doesn't bug me so much. I don't like the Camarilla anyway so my favorite Clan not being bound to them has great potential.

Yeah tremere got nerfed after a lot of complaints about how over powered they are. They are still good just not as ridiculous as they once were.

E: when you read the core book dont feel too bad about the options for tremere rituals as chicago folios shows that the tremere are going to get more cool rituals as more gets released

Metapod fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 1, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm not sure how much you've read but the ramifications Vienna going down has had is all really interesting

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I will add them to my list, thanks.

Although, can anybody tell me if Paradox or I guess the writers at Paradox have spoken on the Sabbat? I was reading a thread on the new House Goratrix on Onyx's forums and one post said we've heard little about House G or the Sabbat in V5 because Paradox supposedly doesn't like them or something.

Yes, Jason Carl the story teller for LA by Night recently addressed some rules/lore for the sabbat in some tweets. I'll try to find it for you later

Sabbat book still a few years away probably. The new giovanni (now known as the amalgam Cappadocian clan Hecata) book manuscript only just got released to backers.

Spoiler: its really good. OPP is about to be 4/4 on great book releases since they got V5 rights

The company Mophidius not so much tho, they slap dashed the players guide so bad that Paradox rejected it. Mophidius writers kinda suck

Oberst fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 1, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thinking about it I think the most interesting lore is how Kevin Jackson was able to become prince of Chicago

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oberst posted:

Yes, Jason Carl the story teller for LA by Night recently addressed some rules/lore for the sabbat in some tweets. I'll try to find it for you later

Sabbat book still a few years away probably. The new giovanni (now known as the amalgam Cappadocian clan Hecata) book manuscript only just got released to backers.

Spoiler: its really good. OPP is about to be 4/4 on great book releases since they got V5 rights

The company Mophidius not so much tho, they slap dashed the players guide so bad that Paradox rejected it. Mophidius writers kinda suck

Well the theory about somebody in the writing crew hating the Sabbat seems to have weight to it given how they have been so neglected.Over in the Bloodlines thread they were talking about how the Sabbat "hosed off to the Middle East" with the elders which seems like very clear "I want nothing to do with this faction or these characters so I just dumped them somewhere."

As a Sabbat fan, this makes me sad. And Bloodlines 2 will probably be just Cammies vs. Annies without even some minor Sabbat representation like they got in Bloodlines 1. (Even that wasn't so great outside of Andrei who was admittedly awesome)

But yeah, I own nothing from V5 at the moment except the Anarch book which I only glanced at for some info on Toreador Antitribu. The antitribu are such a neglected and underused section of the various clans. I got two books for info on them and both barely gave me a paragraph of the most vague info.

I'll try to add some other V5 to my buying list.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 1, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The idea that the whole Sabbat decided to go to a place that the writer doesn't really care very much about or intend to deeply cover or accurately portray to fight the elders, as opposed to some Sabbat heading to the Middle East to hunt down the few Antediluvians who *might* be there while the rest of them went "hey, that's great, you're heroes of the Sabbat, go do that and we'll, uh, hold down the fort here and make sure, uh, the Camarilla, yeah, make sure the Camarilla don't take over while you're gone, see you when you definitely return and don't get horribly murdered by the local supernaturals who are definitely not dug in deep and hostile to you" is silly and a definite sign of "let's just get them off-camera so we don't have to care".

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
It seems like they're holding off on the Sabbat due to a lot of the problematic stuff that's associated with them. If Swedracula was still around there would probably be a Sabbat V5 book kickstarted by now.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

It seems like they're holding off on the Sabbat due to a lot of the problematic stuff that's associated with them. If Swedracula was still around there would probably be a Sabbat V5 book kickstarted by now.

yeah, but like... it's still lazy and they have more-or-less a perfect opportunity to clean that stuff up if they cared to do so anyway

new edition retcons + the weird mystical poo poo happening + excuse of all the elders and true believers loving off gives more than enough leeway to adjust any parts of the Sabbat lore they didn't like and/or alter their relationship to the assumed vampiric political milieu

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Very true, but I'm more confident in that being handled better now than before.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

A major plot point of Chicago by night wrt the sabbat is that the Lasombra and Amici Noctis are trying to defect to the camarilla from the fading sabbat.

Some lasombra escape the beckoning (they're being beckoned to the Rub' Al Khali desert in Saudi arabia) and reveal that LASOMBRA himself is devouring beckoned sabbat and that this is another cyclical Gehenna much like the Ravnos week of nightmares.

There's also possible plot hooks in the book that this is all a ruse and the Amici Noctis have ordered Talley to get agents accepted into the camarilla to destroy Kevin Jacksons regime from the inside.

But they might just be trying to stretch out anticipation for the Sabbat DLC

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Thinking about it I think the most interesting lore is how Kevin Jackson was able to become prince of Chicago

KJ is so fascinating and his canon victory over Peterson, Ballard, etc after the fall of Lodin is extremely good

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Yeah tremere got nerfed after a lot of complaints about how over powered they are. They are still good just not as ridiculous as they once were.

E: when you read the core book dont feel too bad about the options for tremere rituals as chicago folios shows that the tremere are going to get more cool rituals as more gets released

Its good the tremere and blood sorcery got nerfed tbqh. The splitting up of the Pyramid and the rise of House Carna (feminist inclusive witch pagan tremere) was a great move. Old tremere were too monolithic

Also the Banu Haqim get exclusive blood sorc rituals like making your weapon do Agg damage

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oberst posted:

Its good the tremere and blood sorcery got nerfed tbqh. The splitting up of the Pyramid and the rise of House Carna (feminist inclusive witch pagan tremere) was a great move. Old tremere were too monolithic

Also the Banu Haqim get exclusive blood sorc rituals like making your weapon do Agg damage

I think the nerfing was fine but they went a little overboard initially. The additions they made in folios strike the balance now imo. Now if they could add a cool tremere only loresheet

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Oberst posted:

A major plot point of Chicago by night wrt the sabbat is that the Lasombra and Amici Noctis are trying to defect to the camarilla from the fading sabbat.

Some lasombra escape the beckoning (they're being beckoned to the Rub' Al Khali desert in Saudi arabia) and reveal that LASOMBRA himself is devouring beckoned sabbat and that this is another cyclical Gehenna much like the Ravnos week of nightmares.

There's also possible plot hooks in the book that this is all a ruse and the Amici Noctis have ordered Talley to get agents accepted into the camarilla to destroy Kevin Jacksons regime from the inside.

But they might just be trying to stretch out anticipation for the Sabbat DLC

I'm still kind of down on the Lasombra en masse joining the Camarilla but I feel like this is a good way for that to happen.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oberst posted:

KJ is so fascinating and his canon victory over Peterson, Ballard, etc after the fall of Lodin is extremely good

Yeah he's so young yet he's got the support of ancient kindreds it's really amazing

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm still kind of down on the Lasombra en masse joining the Camarilla but I feel like this is a good way for that to happen.

the Lasombra en masse joining the Camarilla is pretty weird but having Lasombra interact with all these old clans that hate them is really funny

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Metapod posted:

the Lasombra en masse joining the Camarilla is pretty weird but having Lasombra interact with all these old clans that hate them is really funny

I was saying awhile back that the notion of the Lasombra antitribu getting official recognition from the Inner Circle seemed like a terrible idea that would never happen, as I couldn't imagine Les Amis Noctes not responding to that by declaring open war, but if LAN are leading the evacuation and leaving the Tzimesce as the only real clan with power in the Sabbat... I'm still not a huge fan but that's the only way I could see it happening.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Anyone know if that charity stream No Kindred Hungry: A Sabbat Story is mirrored anywhere? I couldn't watch the stream and all that's on the Twitch channel is a brief clip, not the whole thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Holding off on problematic stuff wasn't really Ericsson's MO. He just didn't care about them.

Removing the Lasombra also kinda neuters the Sabbat. To be fair I like the idea of the schismatic Banu Haqim joining but like all the Lasombra? Nah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do remember one detail of V5 that came up back when I first played Bloodlines: Compulsions

quote:

The Brujah's Compulsion is that the vampire takes a stand against whatever or whomever they see as the status quo in the situation, whether that is their leader, a viewpoint expressed by a potential vessel, or just the task they were supposed to do at the moment. Until they have gone against their orders or expectations, perceived or real, the vampire receives a two dice penalty to all rolls. This Compulsion ends once they have managed to either make someone change their minds (by force if necessary) or done the opposite of what was expected of them.

quote:

Toreadors also have the Compulsion of Obsession: enraptured by beauty, the vampire becomes temporarily obsessed with a singular gorgeous thing, able to think of nothing else. Pick one feature, such as a person, a song, an artwork, blood spatter, or even a sunrise. Enraptured, the vampire can hardly take their attention from it, and if spoken to, they only talk about that subject. Any other actions receive a two-dice penalty. This Compulsion lasts until they can no longer perceive the beloved object or the scene ends.

quote:

Ventru also have the Compulsion: the need to rule rears its head in the vampire. They stop at nothing to assume command of a situation. Someone must obey an order from the vampire. Any action not directly associated with leadership receives a two-dice penalty. This Compulsion lasts until an order has been obeyed, though the order must not be supernaturally enforced, such as through Dominate.

quote:

[The Nosferatu's] Compulsion is that the need to know permeates the vampire. They become consumed with a hunger for secrets, to know that which few or no one knows, almost as strong as that for blood. They also refuse to share secrets with others, except in strict trade for greater ones.

quote:

Tremere also have the Compulsion of Perfectionism: nothing but the best satisfies the vampire. Anything less than exceptional performance instills a profound sense of failure, and they often repeat tasks obsessively to get them "just right". Until the vampire scores a critical win on a Skill roll or the scene ends, the vampire labors under a two-dice penalty to all dice pools. The penalty is reduced to one die for a repeated action and removed entirely on a second repeat.

This sounds very dumb and unnecessary.

(The only thing I like about any of this is the Tremere's perfectionism goes quite well with my view of them as being natural followers of Slaanesh.)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Holding off on problematic stuff wasn't really Ericsson's MO. He just didn't care about them.

Removing the Lasombra also kinda neuters the Sabbat. To be fair I like the idea of the schismatic Banu Haqim joining but like all the Lasombra? Nah.

Thats a good thing though, the sabbat MO doesn't work as well in a post 2nd inquisition world tbqh

ALL the Lasombra / banu haqim don't join the camarilla hth - neither is monolithic. In fact, there are banu haqim & lasombra anarchs. There's even story options for if Kevin jacksons plans fail and the anarchs let in lasombra much more in mass than the Cams would just to give the Cams a dick punch.

There's also a lore character lasombra elder who is absolutely not down with the amici noctis face turn and wants the good ole sabbat days back

The price to get even one Lasombra in is extremely high and a point of the continual negotiations via Talley - really its up to the story teller to decide. Heck you don't have to follow the books exactly!

Oberst fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 1, 2020

Oberst
May 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I do remember one detail of V5 that came up back when I first played Bloodlines: Compulsions

(The only thing I like about any of this is the Tremere's perfectionism goes quite well with my view of them as being natural followers of Slaanesh.)

Compulsions are interesting and come in a variety of flavors not just clan specific ones. But I find them in actual play to generally be extremely good when they do (rarely) come up. They essentially enforce V20 era clan stereotypes without making you always have to deal with them

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

NikkolasKing posted:

drat, those suck rear end. What a clumsy design. Do Ravnos get -2 dice until they rob or trick someone?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Tremere's perfectionism goes quite well with my view of them as being natural followers of Slaanesh.

wat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are you a 40K fan? Desire and Perfection are big things for Slaanesh. They're the core of the Emperor's Children.

Slaanesh can be sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll but that's just one particular manifestation of Desire which is Slaanesh's true domain. The Tremere are fundamentally all about a desire for power. They don't even want power for a reason, they just want Power, period. That seems very Slaanesh to me.

It's kinda what separates them from the Tzimisce who they are otherwise very similar to but I'd categorize Tzimisce as more Tzeentch due to pursuing a twisted kind of wisdom.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

drat, those suck rear end. What a clumsy design. Do Ravnos get -2 dice until they rob or trick someone?

Those compulsions have to be things that only pop up in certain circumstances, like the messy critical thing, right?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Soonmot posted:

Those compulsions have to be things that only pop up in certain circumstances, like the messy critical thing, right?

Yeah, they're one of the things that can happen to you if your hunger dice come up bad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

They're also feeding into reductive and simply wrong ideas about the clans that lock them into stereotypes and make them less interesting.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Pope Guilty posted:

They're also feeding into reductive and simply wrong ideas about the clans that lock them into stereotypes and make them less interesting.

How else will people make the buzzfeed "Which Clan are you" personality quiz?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just think, one bad hunger dice and your Brujah is "MY DAD'S NOT A CELLPHONE! I THREW IT ON THE GROUND!"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The compulsions are fine but the rule to get them should be changed to the LA by Night house rule of you have zero successes and one of the hunger dice be a 1

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The compulsions are awful and the game design equivalent of an edition of D&D that gives fighters skill penalties if they go too many days without making an attack roll on a monster.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol not at all. They last a scene and add a little spice to social scenes if you fail

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Metapod posted:

Lol not at all. They last a scene and add a little spice to social scenes if you fail

No, what they do is completely give up on the idea of making stereotypical clan behaviors emerge from those clans' powers and curses in an organic way that allows for basically any kind of interpretation or creativity at all on the players' part. Why are Nosferatu crafty and secretive? Well because if they fail a roll they have to ask crafty and secretive for a scene, because your blood is actually deterministic of your top-level personality traits!

Would the Nosferatu still tend towards skulduggery and spycraft if they they didn't activate a clan compulsion to pointlessly keep secrets 10% of the time? No? Then the compulsion is a total hack job an old and peeling bandaid slapped haphazardly onto an incoherent setting. Yes? Then what's the compulsion for?

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Free Gratis posted:

I share some of your hope, but I'm still very wary.

Ericsson's influence is on werewolf is already out of the bag with the upcoming video game and I'm sure the new development team was handed some notes. I'm curious if they feel any kind of pressure to be in line with whatever setting/tone it's going to present. The V5 setting info that Ericsson gave in early interviews ended up being in the final product and he was leaning real hard on the Impergium part deux in those same interviews.

The Chicago by Night books seems to be the start of walking back some of his nonsense, so I'll take that as a good sign going forward. I was leery of W5 until we got the video showcasing the creative team. Considering some of the folks involved, I'm legit hyped now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of: Here's the video for the Werewolf creative team for the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfAWlJkshE and here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZZ7Q2Lsvc

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

DantetheK9 posted:

The Chicago by Night books seems to be the start of walking back some of his nonsense, so I'll take that as a good sign going forward. I was leery of W5 until we got the video showcasing the creative team. Considering some of the folks involved, I'm legit hyped now.

I'm confident in that there's won't be any international incidents or piss play, which is great. I'm still not a fan of Ericsson's broader changes in V5 like the Second Inquisition and the Beckoning, and I will be beyond disappointed if a New Impergium becomes the prevailing zeitgeist for the Garou nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

No, what they do is completely give up on the idea of making stereotypical clan behaviors emerge from those clans' powers and curses in an organic way that allows for basically any kind of interpretation or creativity at all on the players' part. Why are Nosferatu crafty and secretive? Well because if they fail a roll they have to ask crafty and secretive for a scene, because your blood is actually deterministic of your top-level personality traits!

Would the Nosferatu still tend towards skulduggery and spycraft if they they didn't activate a clan compulsion to pointlessly keep secrets 10% of the time? No? Then the compulsion is a total hack job an old and peeling bandaid slapped haphazardly onto an incoherent setting. Yes? Then what's the compulsion for?

The compulsion is there to show that no matter how far you stray from your nature your blood is still the same as everyone else in your clan.