Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a mod that makes firefighting less awkward? Big forest fires can only be fought if I declare all that land my home, but if I forget to remove it later I catch my colonists cleaning dirt from some random field. I wish I could just draft them into fire fighting packs or something. Its especially goofy when a huge fire is just outside my home area until the fire spreads inside, people run to put that tendril out, the fire continues to rage just outside so everyone goes back to work, but then spreads back into 'home' repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a mod that makes firefighting less awkward? Big forest fires can only be fought if I declare all that land my home, but if I forget to remove it later I catch my colonists cleaning dirt from some random field. I wish I could just draft them into fire fighting packs or something. Its especially goofy when a huge fire is just outside my home area until the fire spreads inside, people run to put that tendril out, the fire continues to rage just outside so everyone goes back to work, but then spreads back into 'home' repeat.

You could bombard the location with firefoam shells.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You can also draft your pawns and they'll fight fires adjacent to them, but that's a lot of micromanagement if it's a large fire.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FuzzySlippers posted:

You may be interested in the Cleaning Area mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870089952

Fires outside the natural home area are still annoying, but that mod is drat useful for other reasons. Pawns spend 5 minutes cleaning kitchens, work areas, social areas, and bedrooms, and less time cleaning the floor of your stockpiles or random patches of dirt adjacent your perimeter wall.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This game loves loving with me. Any time I finally gear up and send out a caravan I immediately get raided. All my shooter were in the caravan, but thankfully no one made it through the trap gauntlet.

I'm not wild about hiding behind traps, but I'm terrible at the combat. Any time I have venture out for a siege or mechs it's usually game over.

Any tips for how to not suck at combat?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

This game loves loving with me. Any time I finally gear up and send out a caravan I immediately get raided. All my shooter were in the caravan, but thankfully no one made it through the trap gauntlet.

I'm not wild about hiding behind traps, but I'm terrible at the combat. Any time I have venture out for a siege or mechs it's usually game over.

Any tips for how to not suck at combat?

Don't line your dudes up shoulder to shoulder, the way misses work you want at least two squares between each pawn(*). Cover is important, putting a wall between your pawn and the enemy is the best cover. Bring materials and build it. Melee is super useful, especially in close quarters - have dedicated melee pawns and use them judiciously. Definitely pick up shields for them. Use the Rimworld wiki to determine what you should use to make melee weapons.

When you have to venture out from your walls, use a pawn with a sniper rifle to bait the attack towards your defenses. After they start moving towards the pawn, just loving run. Enhanced legs or movement is useful here. If the enemy won't venture far enough from their camp (mechanoids) build some cover closer to them and lure them in.

Do not take straight up open field fights against enemies. Ever. The Rimworld combat system is not skewed at all, and your pawns are as vulnerable as enemy pawns. Tilt the field.

(*) Exceptions apply, especially for insects, generally though there's bullets going both ways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I wouldn’t feel bad at all about hiding behind traps. If a bunch of raiders or mechs die, there’s no consequences in the context of the game. They never mattered and more will be spawned as needed. There’s no way to depopulate the more strategically damage them. It literally is meaningless.

If your boys die there’s lots of consequences, including just good old fashioned game over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I'm playing through with Rimworld of Magic installed, and, uh, Faceless are stupidly overpowered. They're a combat class, which means they run on stamina, and they have an ability, Mimic, which allows them to copy an ability from any fighter or mage. They gain the use of this ability permanently until they mimic a different character. The mimic ability can also be leveled up such that the copied ability has all of the potency of a fully leveled base class ability.

On the surface, that seems fine, but the problem is that Faceless don't have a mana pool; the spells they mimic are cast using stamina, not mana. Mana regenerates super slowly, generally something like 0.2-0.5 per second. Stamina regens at 3.0 per second. So if you have an ability that you need spammed (healing, disease cure, utility stuff like accelerate/reverse time, etc.), the Faceless can just copy your mage, get access to a full power version of that ability, and proceed to spam that ability on cooldown due to their absurdly fast stamina regeneration converting 1:1 to mana regeneration. Sure, the ability you copy is random, but the cooldown on mimic is only 40 seconds or so, and you can keep trying until you have the ability you need; in those 40 seconds you've already regenerated 120 stamina, so it's not like that's a limiting factor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Many of the classes in rimworld of magic are extremely overpowered unfortunately, if balance is what you want then the mod is probably not the best idea. It's fun but you can absolutely destroy the game balance with it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You can make a lot of adjustments in the settings though up to and including just disabling entire classes outright.

But yeah it isn't balanced and doesn't try to be. Keep in mind that while the player can trivialize day to day stuff, offense powers on the enemy side can royally gently caress you over in turn.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you want combat to feel less like a giant suicidal meat grinder, you could combine the mods Faction Resources https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006644524 and Enemy Self Preservation https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006638530

Both significantly decrease combat difficulty from factions.

Faction resources means that a faction can’t regularly raid you (depending on their resource regen) if you wipe their raids, since they need to replenish their numbers.

Self Preservation makes individual pawns in a raid flee when damaged to a certain extent.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

Many of the classes in rimworld of magic are extremely overpowered unfortunately, if balance is what you want then the mod is probably not the best idea. It's fun but you can absolutely destroy the game balance with it.

Asimo posted:

You can make a lot of adjustments in the settings though up to and including just disabling entire classes outright.

But yeah it isn't balanced and doesn't try to be. Keep in mind that while the player can trivialize day to day stuff, offense powers on the enemy side can royally gently caress you over in turn.

Fair, though it reads a lot like a simple oversight that happens frequently in games with a mimic ability.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might well be, but you'd struggle to tell it apart from the other stuff that's just busted by design :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you want combat to feel less like a giant suicidal meat grinder, you could combine the mods Faction Resources https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006644524 and Enemy Self Preservation https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006638530

Both significantly decrease combat difficulty from factions.

Faction resources means that a faction can’t regularly raid you (depending on their resource regen) if you wipe their raids, since they need to replenish their numbers.

Self Preservation makes individual pawns in a raid flee when damaged to a certain extent.

Holy poo poo these both sound awesome, not just from a standpoint of making it easier but by making it more interesting than the game just spawning dudes when it feels like it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Events or whatever yo uwant to call them seem to have stopped in my game. no raids, no maddened animals, no quests and no trade caravans. only thing that happens is i get visitors. not sure how it happened but its a bit boring

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jose posted:

Events or whatever yo uwant to call them seem to have stopped in my game. no raids, no maddened animals, no quests and no trade caravans. only thing that happens is i get visitors. not sure how it happened but its a bit boring

Same thing here - I was just about to try spawning things in to see if errors get thrown.

Thinking of things that impact quests.... Vanilla Events Expanded, Witcher Monster quest mod (forgot exact name), No Comms Console needed (for faction interaction events), and Empire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i realised mine started when i was supposed to be raided after accepting someone being chased and the chronomancer predicted it and nothing happened

i can spawn raids in development mode and quests but i'm getting massive amounts of red debug text i don't understand

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Complications posted:

When you have to venture out from your walls, use a pawn with a sniper rifle to bait the attack towards your defenses. After they start moving towards the pawn, just loving run. Enhanced legs or movement is useful here. If the enemy won't venture far enough from their camp (mechanoids) build some cover closer to them and lure them in.

I finally meandered my way to sniper rifles. I guess I should be more focused early game and beeline to rifles and bionics? Any other key techs I should be trying to get?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

I finally meandered my way to sniper rifles. I guess I should be more focused early game and beeline to rifles and bionics? Any other key techs I should be trying to get?

bolt action rifles will serve the same purpose and you only really need one, and you can get it from trading or looting early raiders. or you can just wait for enemies to attack on their own, they usually will.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jose posted:

i realised mine started when i was supposed to be raided after accepting someone being chased and the chronomancer predicted it and nothing happened

i can spawn raids in development mode and quests but i'm getting massive amounts of red debug text i don't understand

Read the red debug text to see if there's stuff you recognize in there, generally it may say something from a mod that you'll recognize.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm in the same situation, nearly a year into my first colony in a long time and haven't had any raids, though I've had a few mild events, trade caravans and a rescue quest prompt (I'm on randy medium). At first I didn't remember how long it took for raids to start pouring in, but by now it seems clear that something's off. The likely culprit is Factions Expanded, since it's the only red text I recognize. But maybe I'll just enjoy playing a mellow colony for once :shobon:

E: yeah, checking the Vanilla Factions Expanded workshop page, seems a lot of folks are experiencing the no raids bug. Mod creator suggests redownloading, dunno if there might be a conflict with other mods.

E&E: Just got a raid for the first time in an in-game year after diddling a bit with mod load order (VFE goes at the very top). It might be unrelated, since I'm running a few event-related mods that can make raids less frequent, but that's my experience. Still getting the long debug messages, though.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 1, 2020

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Complete newbie to this game, played DF in the past and loved it. Should I pick up the Royalty DLC? Any video guides to learning the game that are suggested?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can play DF you should have no issue with this whatsoever. Royalty is a decent expansion but there's so much mod content out there that it's kind of overshadowed. Don't bother unless you're flush with cash.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks. I didn't say I could play DF, it was always quite a disaster, ha.

I will probably play Vanilla for quite some time, so I guess I'll hold off on that Royalty DLC, since I get the impression that it is basically like a bunch of official mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda, it's just separate from the mods but there are mods with very similar themes available. The main thing it adds that's distinct is the titles and nobility system, but most of the rest you can just mod in.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mainly bought the DLC because I have almost 2000 hours played on Rimworld and if the DLC had been only some additional music, I probably would've bought it too in a, "I've definitely got my money's worth" sense.

Though I do enjoy the royalty titles and whatnot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

royalty introduces a new win condition and in general i feel it makes the vanilla game a lot harder

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its crazy fun so far and anything i can do to encourage him to keep working on rimworld id do

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

literally the only bad thing i have to say about Rimworld is that i wish i hadn't put 1200 hours in to it before we all got locked inside because it'd be great to be able to experience it from the beginning during this time of extreme boredom

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I dunno.

You're no mods boar guy.

Now's the time.

Give in, join us.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I dunno.

You're no mods boar guy.

Now's the time.

Give in, join us.

you wanna hear something horrible?

i abandoned rimworld for the fallout 76 update

this pandemic...it's going to make monsters of us all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I could not fathom playing without mods.

Even the busted ones, like Rimworld of magic, are a fun playthrough. A lich, addicted to magic drugs, has an army of zombies cleaning up and organizing a fortress that is staffed by 5 other magic users, each addicted to at least one drug. They run a drug empire to fund development of their spaceship.

Also they are all chimeric animal mutants.

This is what you miss out on by not indulging in mods. That being said, for anyone's first playthrough, get familiar with vanilla.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I truly do recommend trying them.

You're playing a game that you can trivially break over your knee if you want. You could set it on easy, or absurdly hard, or pick an easy map, or cheese it through the gameplay, but you don't, because you set it up so that once you put it into motion, the result is pleasing to you in some way.

Mods are just an extra step there. You can set up even more parts of the game and make the thing that comes into motion even more to your taste, it's a vehicle to make happy chemicals go into your brain via exposure to appropriate stimuli on the screen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm doing a robots running a farm run. We live in rustic wooden houses, get up before sunrise, sell potatoes and eggs, wear cowboy hats, string up barbed wire, shoot trespassers, and get to the recharging station bed early because tomorrow's another big day.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The tribe of eight fled their village after the Iron Men came from the night sky in streaks of fire and burned their homes and fields to cinders. They who had lived by the campfire, fed by the field and bow. Over the years they developed the electricity and microelectronics to fight the Iron Men on even terms. As they did, the savage tribes near by began to raid them to, men and women with spears and bow who wanted their wealth. The raids cost them friends, and soon there were only five. The settlement could not do without their skills, and so the tribe's researchers began developing metal people of their own. These iron bodies labored endlessly and soon the wealth possessed by the remaining five was staggering. Men and women slept in rooms of gold and fine marble and adorn their bodies with vestments made of hyperweave and plasteel.

The raids from their enemies grew more fierce. The mechanoids, their original foes, were easily dealt with now. The tribe's charge rifles and artillery destroyed their small number with ease. The savage "humans", however, spent lives endlessly and in great hordes - more bodies than the charge rifles could shoot before being overwhelmed. In two great raids, the eight who had become five became one.

The last of them looked on the graves of his friends and knew hatred. He entombed himself in the one of the greatest of the metal bodies and sipped power from their vanometric grid while protecting their sarcophagi with the countless automatons that now maintained the colony. By night the machine that once was man entered the drop pods to descend upon the savage villages in streaks of flames to burn and cut.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'll install mods when i beat vanilla randy rough without savescumming and not a moment before

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if that's fun for you then go nuts, but if you're getting tired of it I don't think there's any obligation to keep slogging at it if it's making you a bit sick of the game.

I've never finished the game once.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

boar guy posted:

i'll install mods when i beat vanilla randy rough without savescumming and not a moment before

i said this to myself then stopped playing rimworld instead of installing mods

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I mainly bought the DLC because I have almost 2000 hours played on Rimworld and if the DLC had been only some additional music, I probably would've bought it too in a, "I've definitely got my money's worth" sense.

Though I do enjoy the royalty titles and whatnot.

Speaking of additional music I've been a long-time fan of this mod which adds a bunch of tracks from the Command and Conquer series:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497113878

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone have some top tips for how to wound raiders rather than kill them? i want more recruits but my snipers keep doming suckers.