Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Really disappointed in Midnight Gospel. I was hoping for Adventure Time in the multiverse but instead we get a guy improvising incredibly mundane conversations (that the show thinks are profound) while the animators desperately trying to make it interesting by drawing trippy stuff for 20 mins. There’s no real story or stakes or even jokes really. It’s just two people talking about legalizing drugs while ransom things happen around them. It’s a shame too because I like the general vibe and art style so this really feels like a missed opportunity.

My plan is to get exceptionally high after everyone goes to bed tonight and see what's what. I have a kid, so Adventure Time was amazing compared to the kid's shows that I grew up on. I'm afraid that this'll turn out like everything else once the censorship (wrong word, I know) is pulled away, things go to poo poo without the boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Worth noting that apparently most or all the audio used in Midnight Gospel comes from co-creator Duncan Trussell's podcast

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

readingatwork posted:

Really disappointed in Midnight Gospel. I was hoping for Adventure Time in the multiverse but instead we get a guy improvising incredibly mundane conversations (that the show thinks are profound) while the animators desperately trying to make it interesting by drawing trippy stuff for 20 mins. There’s no real story or stakes or even jokes really. It’s just two people talking about legalizing drugs while random things happen around them. It’s a shame too because I like the general vibe and art style so this really feels like a missed opportunity.

I heard it's based on some guy's podcast, which would explain a lot of these issues.

e: beaten

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

My plan is to get exceptionally high after everyone goes to bed tonight and see what's what. I have a kid, so Adventure Time was amazing compared to the kid's shows that I grew up on. I'm afraid that this'll turn out like everything else once the censorship (wrong word, I know) is pulled away, things go to poo poo without the boundaries.

It’s not that they were allowed to say swears and got lazy, It’s that they didn’t make a real show at all. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s closer to a podcast than anything else. Which would be fine (I like podcasts) but these particular conversations just aren’t that engaging.

If you need something to scratch the Adventure Time itch see if you can find Bravest Warriors somewhere. It’s another Pen Ward project that has the same weird sense of humor AT had in its earlier seasons but with more polish.

E: Oh. That explains a ton actually.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 20, 2020

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

readingatwork posted:

It’s not that they were allowed to say swears and got lazy, It’s that they didn’t make a real show at all. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s closer to a podcast than anything else. Which would be fine (I like podcasts) but these particular conversations just aren’t that engaging.

If you need something to scratch the Adventure Time itch see if you can find Bravest Warriors somewhere. It’s another Pen Ward project that has the same weird sense of humor AT had in its earlier seasons but with more polish.

I actually watched through all of Bravest Warrior with my daughter. It's sometimes a bit more inappropriate for kids than Adventure Time was but the themes were similar.

Crazy thing about Bravest Warriors, Catbug is really popular at my daughter's elementary school. We actually listened to the audiobooks together and they were amusing enough. They're up on Epic if you've got a kid on lockdown that needs to read.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Worth noting that apparently most or all the audio used in Midnight Gospel comes from co-creator Duncan Trussell's podcast

Oh dang, that kind of ruins it for me. He seems like a guy that I would probably hate, but his association (in my mind) with Joe Rogan has ruined him for me. I like Joe for weird reasons, but I hate everyone I associate with him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I only watch one animated podcast: spill/double toasted.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Smiling Friends

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes of the midnight gospel quite a bit and then partway through episode 3 I just had to put it down suddenly. The basic idea is pretty cool but I really don't think it's something that can sustain itself for terribly long, and drat they made 8 episodes of this?

It's like the idea for a pretty good rick and morty episode's b-plot made into an entire show. As a one off I would've absolutely loved it but I dunno if I can do this for the entire runtime of the show. Definitely not something I can just binge.

The visuals are very good though, I'd recommend giving it a quick look just for that.

The visuals arent entirely random and unrelated, the second episode is a podcast with an author about death and the visuals are a nightmarish trip through some kind of bizarre alien slaughterhouse thing, from the perspective of the animals. So it's not entirely disconnected? It's cool that they gave this guy's podcast some thematic trippy visuals but there's definitely a really strong feeling of "I'd really much rather explore these crazy people controlling spider creatures than listen to some guy talk about how he experienced jesus in the himalayas." Which I guess is the joke but it's really only a joke that works once

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 21, 2020

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I really enjoyed The Midnight Gospel. The conversations never felt mundane to me, and the visuals paired with said conversations were definitely not just "random trippy visuals." While they certainly crank up the surreal dial, there was definitely a lot of thought and care put into pairing the visuals and conversations. Episode 8 in particular was something that will sit with me for a really long time, and if you can't stomach conversations about magick or universal consciousness please at least give the final episode a shot.

Boiled down I think the show simply wants you to think, whether that be about the trippy metaphorical visuals or the esoteric conversations, just think about something outside of your world view.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Midnight Gospel feels like exactly the thing that Xavier: Renegade Angel was making fun of.
I enjoyed just watching some of the animation with some music on, the podcast audio is unbearable.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoDayLife posted:

the podcast audio is unbearable.

I think this is what it boils down to for me because I’m realizing that I like similar animated podcast projects on YouTube that have basically no budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAaDZ0gnaA

If MG was the same thing only it used MBMBAM’s audio instead I think I’d still be disappointed (because I want a real show god damnit!) but ultimately on board for the ride.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

episode 6 is mostly unique plot stuff, the podcast stuff is relegated to the end (though I don't recommend skipping ahead just to see it)

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I still find it hard to believe how popular MBMBAM is. Two of the three of them have voices so viscerally unpleasant I listened to half an episode assuming they were doing a bit and it’s just... F Plus but not as mean?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I gave them a shot several years ago and had pretty much the same response as you, down to the FPlus comparison. It’s not my favorite show, but it’s pretty enjoyable once you get a feel for the show’s cadence. It’s easy comedy listening for lack of a better description. I vaguely remember hearing it pitched as “a family friendly comedy podcast that talks about cum fairly regularly” at some point.

But hey, folks like what they like.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Fumaofthelake posted:

I still find it hard to believe how popular MBMBAM is. Two of the three of them have voices so viscerally unpleasant I listened to half an episode assuming they were doing a bit and it’s just... F Plus but not as mean?

I think MBMBAM gets a pass because when given the stuff to work with the McElroys can do some fun stuff, like this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PlKZRQVgQ

Gaunab posted:

I only watch one animated podcast: spill/double toasted.

I like DT, but it doesn't feel the same without Co-host, at least Billy is on more often.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh, yeah, finished 3 episodes of Midnight Gospel and it's just so much wasted potential in my opinion. The visuals are absolutely incredible and paired with audio of crazy people having boring conversations about made up poo poo. It does feel like the only way to really enjoy this is to just turn off the audio.

EDIT: I'd compare it to how I felt about Waking Life, a project that looks amazing but is accompanied by audio of garbage pseudo-intellectual spiritual musings.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 29, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I watched Waking Life on DXM and acid and it was amaaaaazing. Maybe your'e just not wathcing it right

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

I watched Waking Life on DXM and acid and it was amaaaaazing. Maybe your'e just not wathcing it right

Okay but every animated movie is great on acid. I watched Fievel Goes West on acid and it turned an average animated movie into a masterpiece.

Another great movie to watch while on acid is The Last Unicorn, but that's a masterpiece with or without drugs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fievel goes west owns anyway you philistine

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I watched MFKZ on acid and it was weird.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

TwoDayLife posted:

Midnight Gospel feels like exactly the thing that Xavier: Renegade Angel was making fun of.
I enjoyed just watching some of the animation with some music on, the podcast audio is unbearable.

I watched the first two episodes and had almost the exact same thought, word for word.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Midnight Gospel is good, but gets very good at episode 6. Shame it's only 8 episodes. Episode 3 was a surprise when I saw that Damien Echols was the guest and I got to listen to him talk about ceremonial magic in his Arkansas-as-hell accent while enjoying Fish Captain/ Cat Crew visuals.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If Midnight Gospel gets a second season they need to get David Lynch to talk about transcendental mediation or what he wants to yack about really

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

22 minute talk on his time with The Cleveland Show

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JGQuintel/status/1260577795924791301

JG Quintel's new show straight from 2017, Close Enough, is finally being released on HBO Max this July. The loving announcement trailer will be three years old by the time the show airs. Thanks a bunch, TBS.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I imagine its very unlikely to get a second season.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I imagine its very unlikely to get a second season.

Apparently they started work on a second season last year actually

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

from what I heard the nexus of TBS's attempt at a prime time animated block just puttering out was the Louis CK scandal resulting in them cancelling a show they were making called The Cops (which would've starred CK): Final Space was the only non-American Dad show to come out of it unscathed (though it moved to Adult Swim after season 1), Tarantula was dumped all at once on the TBS website, and we've been talking about what happened to Close Enough (also the 2nd season thing is legit)

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I guess I'm a retard because I found myself enjoying all of Midnight Gospel. Maybe it's because I went in rather blind. I had never heard of Duncan Trussell, so if his podcast is considered super bad or 'unfashionable to like' by the rest of the internet I wouldn't know anything about it. I love Pendleton Ward's animation style but I never emotionally attached much to Adventure Time, so I wasn't hoping for anything like that to begin with.

The last episode hit pretty hard. You could nitpick the continuity of the last two interviews, but who cares. Usually I'm a jaded rear end in a top hat but I'm still recovering from that one.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 14, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

from what I heard the nexus of TBS's attempt at a prime time animated block just puttering out was the Louis CK scandal resulting in them cancelling a show they were making called The Cops (which would've starred CK): Final Space was the only non-American Dad show to come out of it unscathed (though it moved to Adult Swim after season 1), Tarantula was dumped all at once on the TBS website, and we've been talking about what happened to Close Enough (also the 2nd season thing is legit)

also TBS has always been terrible at original programming, all of the most successful stuff is either Tyler Perry or stuff that they acquired basically fully formed from other places (American Dad, Conan). Even the good stuff doesn't last long

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently they started work on a second season last year actually

Coming 2024.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tuca & Bertie revived at Adult Swim.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1263872025426190337

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 23, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gently caress YEAH!

Adult Swim makes constantly good choices in programming.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hell yes. I was really sad that T&B got canned by Netflix for some reason. It couldn't have been a very good reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The theory at the time was retaliation for the Bojack studio unionising.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think this will be another Futurama/Family Guy and they'll get several more seasons?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stuck in my head so I inflict it upon you: the Tuca and Bertie theme but with Banjo and Kazooie (and Banjo and Kazooie and Kazooie and Banjo and Banjo and Kazooie)

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Just finished watching the entirety of Midnight Gospel . It's hit and miss.
I went into it completely blind and thought the entirety of the first episode was delivered in character (didn't figure out it was podcast audio), and loved it.
I loved the idea of the president being so used to the zombie apocalypse that he can casually hold a conversation about drugs while escaping from zombies.
Once I figured it out... it kinda petered out until the last couple of episodes.
It's an interesting idea, but I'd much rather the audio be a bit more.......... interacting with what's on screen. Maybe for the second season they can record some dedicated podcasts and find a way to weave in the animated segments more organically.
The only thing that I really dislike, is that the protagonist comes across as a HUGE tool, and , well......maybe that's one of the points they were making? But still, he still pissed me off right until the last episode.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I watched only the first ep so far and they were really fighting to keep my attention once I realized it was gonna be 30 minutes of Dr Drew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I think the animation is doing all the heavy lifting with Midnight Gospel and even with that I'd prefer an original story more than podcast audio.